|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is in each of the boats Doon and Lina find in the second room?
(a) A long rope and a box of candles.
(b) Two boxes and two paddles.
(c) A small motor and a can of gasoline.
(d) Eight boxes and some long poles.
2. What does the writer say is the purpose of the plan to create Ember?
(a) To be sure people don't disappear from the Earth.
(b) She doesn't say.
(c) To hide people from an invading army.
(d) To punish those convicted of crimes.
3. What do Doon and Lina do while they eat the last of the food Doon has?
(a) Look for a place to rest.
(b) Try to decide how to get a message to Ember.
(c) Try to figure out what to do next.
(d) Read the book Poppy found.
4. Why does Lina say she isn't afraid?
(a) Anything is better than Ember.
(b) She's too tired to be afraid.
(c) She doesn't know why.
(d) She's dreamed about this place.
5. What does Poppy do when Lina and Doon go to put the boat into the river?
(a) Falls asleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lina believe the paddles are for?
2. How do Doon and Lina figure out the large object is a boat?
3. What is Doon thinking about when he goes to check the door in the tunnel?
4. What does the writer say she and her "mate" have named their two children?
5. Where does Lizzie first say she got the cans of food?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, according to the writer of the book found by Poppy, happened on Friday?
2. Why does Clary say the instructions are "hopeful"?
3. How do Doon and Lina find the path that leads up from the river?
4. Why doesn't Doon tell his father he found the way out of Ember?
5. What are the two choices Doon believes he has if Lina doesn't show up at the entrance to the Pipeworks as planned and which does he believe is the better of the two?
6. How do Doon and Lina figure out how the matches work?
7. How do Doon and Lina learn the guards are planning to arrest them for spreading vicious rumors?
8. What happens that allows Lina to discover what Lizzie has in her sack and what are some of the canned items in the sack?
9. Where does Lizzie first tell Lina she got the canned items and what does she eventually reveal as the truth?
10. What does Lina say about the reason she brought Poppy along?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)