|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Poppy find and almost chew on?
(a) A rock.
(b) A fish.
(c) A book.
(d) A stick.
2. What does Lina think the columns of rocks resemble?
(b) Elegant houses.
(d) Piles of mashed potatoes.
3. What are the two items Doon and Lina find in the boxes that they don't understand?
(a) Candy bars and sodas.
(b) Flashlights and flares.
(c) Candles and matches.
(d) A map and boat paddles.
4. Who was at the entrance to the Pipeworks when Doon reaches it?
(b) No one.
(c) A guard.
(d) Lina and Poppy.
5. What is in each of the boats Doon and Lina find in the second room?
(a) Eight boxes and some long poles.
(b) Two boxes and two paddles.
(c) A small motor and a can of gasoline.
(d) A long rope and a box of candles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the can the little boys pick up when Lizzie drops her sack?
2. Why is Looper walking more slowly after he's been in the storerooms?
3. What does Lina say is the biggest difference between her home and that of Mrs. Murdo?
4. Where does Nammy Proggs tell a guard Doon has gone?
5. Where does Doon leave the note for his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clary say the instructions are "hopeful"?
2. How does Lina get Poppy down to the ledge where the boats are and why is she certain she can make it?
3. How do Doon and Lina learn the guards are planning to arrest them for spreading vicious rumors?
4. What does Lina think about with regard to being "alone in the world" on her first day back at work after her Granny's death/
5. What does Lina say about the reason she brought Poppy along?
6. Describe the room Mrs. Murdo says Lina can share with Poppy.
7. What are some of the things that frighten Lina as they begin their trip down the river?
8. What happens that allows Lina to discover what Lizzie has in her sack and what are some of the canned items in the sack?
9. How do Doon and Lina find the path that leads up from the river?
10. Where does Lizzie first tell Lina she got the canned items and what does she eventually reveal as the truth?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)