|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lina believe is the most frightening part about the first moments of the ride down the river?
(a) Not knowing where they're going.
(b) Going so fast in the dark.
(c) Being slammed into rocks.
(d) Being wet.
2. What does Poppy find and almost chew on?
(a) A stick.
(b) A book.
(c) A rock.
(d) A fish.
3. How does Lina spot Doon from her spot on the roof?
(a) She sees the crowd making room for him.
(b) She sees his candle burning.
(c) He waves her her.
(d) She sees guards chasing him.
4. What does the sign say Lina and Doon have done wrong?
(a) Broken curfew.
(b) Broken into the Pipeworks.
(c) Spread vicious rumors.
(d) Stolen food.
5. What day does "the last message" begin on?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lina believe the paddles are for?
2. Who is the person Lina and Doon decide to leave a message for about leaving Ember?
3. How old does the writer say all the adults are who are headed to Ember?
4. What does Lina say when Poppy says she wants to go home?
5. What does Lizzie say is in her sack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the room Mrs. Murdo says Lina can share with Poppy.
2. What are the two choices Doon believes he has if Lina doesn't show up at the entrance to the Pipeworks as planned and which does he believe is the better of the two?
3. What is the first sight that meets the children when they emerge from the tunnel?
4. What does the writer say is the reason for building Ember?
5. What are some of the things that frighten Lina as they begin their trip down the river?
6. What are some of the things Doon packs to take on the journey out of Ember and what are some of the things he leaves behind?
7. What does Clary say about everyone having darkness inside them and why does Lina know Clary is right?
8. Where does Lizzie first tell Lina she got the canned items and what does she eventually reveal as the truth?
9. Why does Clary say the instructions are "hopeful"?
10. What is the problem Doon and Lina see with using the boat to go downstream and what do they discover that eliminates that problem?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)