|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the blanket on the bed Mrs. Murdo says will be Lina's new room?
2. What does Lina say she told Mrs. Murdo when she took Poppy?
(b) That she was taking Poppy to safety.
(c) That she was staying at the greenhouse.
(d) That she would be careful.
3. What are the two things the writer of the last message say she wasn't allowed to bring?
(a) Radios and televisions.
(b) Clocks and phones.
(c) Books and photographs.
(d) Extra clothing and soap.
4. When does the mayor tell the guard to return to his office?
(a) When the mayor rings the bell.
(b) When the mayor calls out.
(c) When the clock strikes four.
(d) When five minutes have passed.
5. What does Lina realize about Doon after she tells him about her Granny's death?
(a) That he isn't going to try to find a way out.
(b) That he wants the glory of finding a way out.
(c) That he's her best friend.
(d) That he can find the way out of Ember.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lina say she isn't afraid?
2. Where do the children put the lighted candles once the boat slows?
3. Where does Doon keep the book he's written about bugs?
4. Where does Lizzie first say she got the cans of food?
5. What does Lina think the columns of rocks resemble?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lina think about with regard to being "alone in the world" on her first day back at work after her Granny's death/
2. How does Lina get away from the mayor and the guards once she's in the mayor's office?
3. What are some of the things that frighten Lina as they begin their trip down the river?
4. Why does the writer say the adults have to cut all ties with their families and take no books or photographs, and why are there so many babies?
5. How do Doon and Lina figure out how the matches work?
6. How does Lina get Poppy down to the ledge where the boats are and why is she certain she can make it?
7. What is the message from the notice on the wall at the beginning of the path?
8. How do Doon and Lina decide what to do with the information that the mayor is stealing?
9. Describe the room Mrs. Murdo says Lina can share with Poppy.
10. How do Doon and Lina figure out how the candles work?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)