|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing Clary points out when she reaches Lina's room?
(a) That her bean has sprouted.
(b) That Poppy isn't there.
(c) That it is very clean.
(d) That the note is missing.
2. Who finds the note Doon and Lina drop down to Ember?
(a) The mayor.
(c) Mrs. Murdo.
(d) Mr. Harrow.
3. What happens when Doon tries to write on the lid of one of the boxes?
(a) The box breaks open.
(b) The match he's using bursts into flame.
(c) The candle he's using breaks.
4. How are Doon and Lina supposed to get the boat into the water?
(a) Drop it over the ledge.
(b) Lower it with ropes.
(c) They can't figure it out.
(d) Wait for the river to rise.
5. Who is the person Lina and Doon decide to leave a message for about leaving Ember?
(a) The mayor.
(b) Mr. Harrow.
(d) Mrs. Murdo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Doon head to the Pipeworks?
2. What day does "the last message" begin on?
3. What does Mrs. Murdo have cooked for dinner when Lina gets home with the food from Lizzie?
4. What does the sign say Lina and Doon have done wrong?
5. Who was at the entrance to the Pipeworks when Doon reaches it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lina think about with regard to being "alone in the world" on her first day back at work after her Granny's death/
2. How do Doon and Lina get the boat into the water and what happens as they are performing this task?
3. How does Lina get Poppy down to the ledge where the boats are and why is she certain she can make it?
4. What is the message from the notice on the wall at the beginning of the path?
5. What does Lina say about the reason she brought Poppy along?
6. What are the two choices Doon believes he has if Lina doesn't show up at the entrance to the Pipeworks as planned and which does he believe is the better of the two?
7. What is the first sight that meets the children when they emerge from the tunnel?
8. Describe Lina's arrest and her encounter with the mayor.
9. What happens that allows Lina to discover what Lizzie has in her sack and what are some of the canned items in the sack?
10. What is the problem Doon and Lina see with using the boat to go downstream and what do they discover that eliminates that problem?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)