|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Lina go into the library?
(a) She does go into the library.
(b) The door is locked.
(c) She sees a better option.
(d) The guards catch her before she can reach it.
2. What is the first thing Clary points out when she reaches Lina's room?
(a) That it is very clean.
(b) That her bean has sprouted.
(c) That Poppy isn't there.
(d) That the note is missing.
3. What are the two items Doon and Lina find in the boxes that they don't understand?
(a) Flashlights and flares.
(b) Candy bars and sodas.
(c) A map and boat paddles.
(d) Candles and matches.
4. How does Lina get Lizzie to stop?
(a) Steps in front of her.
(b) Calls out to her.
(c) Grabs her coat.
(d) Throws a rock at her.
5. What time does Doon head to the Pipeworks?
(a) Seven o'clock.
(b) Two o'clock.
(c) Four o'clock.
6. What does Doon tell his father he's worried about that night?
(a) That he might find a way out of Ember.
(b) That he might not find a way out of Ember.
(c) He says he's not worried.
(d) The mayor's thefts.
7. What is Lina carrying when she joins Doon at the entrance of the Pipeworks?
8. Why does Lina say she isn't afraid?
(a) She doesn't know why.
(b) Anything is better than Ember.
(c) She's too tired to be afraid.
(d) She's dreamed about this place.
9. How do Doon and Lina discover the fruit that's good to eat?
(a) They recognize it from a book in the library.
(b) They sit under a tree and a piece of the fruit falls on Doon.
(c) They can smell it.
(d) They see a creature eating it.
10. Where does Lina tell Mrs. Murdo she's going to do when Doon comes to get her?
(a) Hide from the guards.
(b) Find a way out of Ember.
(c) Some emergency work.
(d) Expose the mayor for a crook.
11. What does the writer say she and her "mate" have named their two children?
(a) Star and Forest.
(b) Stanley and Francis.
(c) Moon and Sun.
(d) Moon and Beam.
12. Where does Lizzie first say she got the cans of food?
(a) From Granny's shop.
(b) From a secret stash in the mayor's office.
(c) From a back shelf in the market.
(d) From Doon.
13. Why does Doon say they are telling the chief guard about the mayor's thefts?
(a) Doon trusts him.
(b) Because he can arrest the mayor.
(c) So he can help gather the food for the people.
(d) Because the guard will be the next mayor.
14. What is the first thing Lina wants to do once they figure out how to light a candle?
(a) Go down the river.
(b) Explore the room.
(c) Show Doon's father and Clary.
(d) Go into the Unknown Regions.
15. What does Lina say when Poppy says she wants to go home?
(a) That they're almost there.
(b) That they can't go back.
(c) That she shouldn't cry.
(d) That they'll have a new home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens while the people are singing "Song of the Darkness"?
2. How does Lina spot Doon from her spot on the roof?
3. What does the word "egress" mean, according to Clary?
4. What color is the moth Doon watches hatch?
5. What does Doon use to carry all the items he plans to take with him?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)