|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is second-in-command after the mayor?
(a) Mr. Harrow.
(c) The chief guard.
(d) No one.
2. Where does Doon keep the book he's written about bugs?
(a) On his windowsill.
(b) In his desk drawer.
(c) On top of his dresser.
(d) Under his bed.
3. What does Doon grab from his room before going with Lina?
(a) A knife.
(b) Rain boots.
(c) His jacket.
(d) A box of matches.
4. What does Doon do with the candles remaining?
(a) Lights them on the rock near the boat.
(b) Puts them in his bag.
(c) Leaves them in the boat.
(d) Has Lina carry them.
5. What does Lina think the columns of rocks resemble?
(a) Piles of mashed potatoes.
(c) Elegant houses.
6. Where does Nammy Proggs tell a guard Doon has gone?
(a) To Lina's house.
(b) To Clary's greenhouse.
(c) To his father's shop.
(d) To the trash heaps.
7. What color is the blanket on the bed Mrs. Murdo says will be Lina's new room?
8. What does the sign say Lina and Doon have done wrong?
(a) Spread vicious rumors.
(b) Broken into the Pipeworks.
(c) Broken curfew.
(d) Stolen food.
9. What does Lina say she told Mrs. Murdo when she took Poppy?
(a) That she was staying at the greenhouse.
(b) That she would be careful.
(c) That she was taking Poppy to safety.
10. Why doesn't Lina go into the library?
(a) The door is locked.
(b) The guards catch her before she can reach it.
(c) She does go into the library.
(d) She sees a better option.
11. What does Doon use to carry all the items he plans to take with him?
(a) A suitcase.
(b) A blanket.
(c) A paper bag.
(d) A pillowcase.
12. What does Lina realize about Doon after she tells him about her Granny's death?
(a) That he can find the way out of Ember.
(b) That he isn't going to try to find a way out.
(c) That he wants the glory of finding a way out.
(d) That he's her best friend.
13. What does Lina believe is the most frightening part about the first moments of the ride down the river?
(a) Being slammed into rocks.
(b) Going so fast in the dark.
(c) Not knowing where they're going.
(d) Being wet.
14. What does Lina say when Poppy says she wants to go home?
(a) That they can't go back.
(b) That she shouldn't cry.
(c) That they'll have a new home.
(d) That they're almost there.
15. What is in each of the boats Doon and Lina find in the second room?
(a) Two boxes and two paddles.
(b) A small motor and a can of gasoline.
(c) Eight boxes and some long poles.
(d) A long rope and a box of candles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is everyone let off work at noon in the beginning of Chapter 14?
2. Why is Looper walking more slowly after he's been in the storerooms?
3. What do Doon and Lina do for most of the day after reading the book?
4. What does the word "egress" mean, according to Clary?
5. What does the writer say she's good at?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)