|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lina say when Poppy says she wants to go home?
(a) That she shouldn't cry.
(b) That they'll have a new home.
(c) That they're almost there.
(d) That they can't go back.
2. What does the sign say Lina and Doon have done wrong?
(a) Broken into the Pipeworks.
(b) Broken curfew.
(c) Spread vicious rumors.
(d) Stolen food.
3. What do Doon and Lina do while they eat the last of the food Doon has?
(a) Try to decide how to get a message to Ember.
(b) Look for a place to rest.
(c) Read the book Poppy found.
(d) Try to figure out what to do next.
4. What does Lina say is the biggest difference between her home and that of Mrs. Murdo?
(a) Mrs. Murdo's has three doors.
(b) Mrs. Murdo's is neater.
(c) Mrs. Murdo's is bigger.
(d) Mrs. Murdo's is on the third floor.
5. How long does Lina think they've been in the boat when they come to the final pool?
(a) About twenty minutes.
(b) She doesn't know.
(c) About a whole day.
(d) About three hours.
6. What do Doon and Lina realize Looper is doing with the items he's taking from the storerooms?
(a) Giving it to the older people who are most needy.
(b) Giving it all to the mayor and his guards.
(c) Selling some and giving some to Lizzie.
(d) Selling all of it.
7. Where does Lizzie first say she got the cans of food?
(a) From a back shelf in the market.
(b) From a secret stash in the mayor's office.
(c) From Granny's shop.
(d) From Doon.
8. Why is everyone let off work at noon in the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) To rest.
(b) To rehearse singing.
(c) They are always off at noon on Saturday.
(d) To shop and do other errands.
9. What does Lina use Doon's rope for?
(a) To keep her pants up.
(b) A leash for Poppy.
(c) To carry her supplies.
(d) To tie herself to Doon.
10. What does Lina believe is the most frightening part about the first moments of the ride down the river?
(a) Not knowing where they're going.
(b) Being slammed into rocks.
(c) Being wet.
(d) Going so fast in the dark.
11. Whose hand does Lina hold when they emerge from the tunnel?
(a) No one''s.
(d) Poppy's and Doon's.
12. What does Doon grab from his room before going with Lina?
(a) A knife.
(b) A box of matches.
(c) His jacket.
(d) Rain boots.
13. How are Doon and Lina supposed to get the boat into the water?
(a) Lower it with ropes.
(b) They can't figure it out.
(c) Wait for the river to rise.
(d) Drop it over the ledge.
14. What is Lina carrying when she joins Doon at the entrance of the Pipeworks?
15. What is the most common message Lina carries during the day in Chapter 12?
(a) That people believe the mayor is corrupt.
(b) That people are looking for a way out of Ember.
(c) That people are staying home.
(d) That people have found many cans of food.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lina spot Doon from her spot on the roof?
2. What does Doon believe is causing the sound they can hear once they are out of the tunnel?
3. Who is second-in-command after the mayor?
4. Where does Nammy Proggs tell a guard Doon has gone?
5. Where does Doon leave the note for his father?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)