|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Doon and Lina supposed to get the boat into the water?
(a) Lower it with ropes.
(b) Wait for the river to rise.
(c) Drop it over the ledge.
(d) They can't figure it out.
2. What do Doon and Lina do while they eat the last of the food Doon has?
(a) Try to figure out what to do next.
(b) Look for a place to rest.
(c) Try to decide how to get a message to Ember.
(d) Read the book Poppy found.
3. Who is the person Lina and Doon decide to leave a message for about leaving Ember?
(a) The mayor.
(b) Mrs. Murdo.
(d) Mr. Harrow.
4. How do Doon and Lina discover the fruit that's good to eat?
(a) They see a creature eating it.
(b) They sit under a tree and a piece of the fruit falls on Doon.
(c) They can smell it.
(d) They recognize it from a book in the library.
5. When does the mayor tell the guard to return to his office?
(a) When the mayor rings the bell.
(b) When the mayor calls out.
(c) When the clock strikes four.
(d) When five minutes have passed.
6. How do Doon and Lina figure out the large object is a boat?
(a) It's written on the side.
(b) It's written on the instructions.
(c) They've always known what a boat is.
(d) Doon has seen one in a book.
7. What does Poppy find and almost chew on?
(a) A book.
(b) A fish.
(c) A stick.
(d) A rock.
8. What is Doon thinking about when he goes to check the door in the tunnel?
(a) How to get out of Ember.
(b) How hungry he is.
(c) What pineapple tastes like.
(d) His green worm.
9. How many candles do Doon and Lina use before they reach the end of the underground path?
(a) They are using their third.
(b) They lost count.
(c) They are using their first.
(d) They are using their fifth.
10. What is in the can the little boys pick up when Lizzie drops her sack?
(a) Pork and beans.
(b) Tomato soup.
(c) Fruit cocktail.
11. What does Lina say when Poppy says she wants to go home?
(a) That they're almost there.
(b) That she shouldn't cry.
(c) That they can't go back.
(d) That they'll have a new home.
12. Where does Nammy Proggs tell a guard Doon has gone?
(a) To his father's shop.
(b) To Lina's house.
(c) To the trash heaps.
(d) To Clary's greenhouse.
13. What is the first thing Lina wants to do once they figure out how to light a candle?
(a) Go into the Unknown Regions.
(b) Show Doon's father and Clary.
(c) Explore the room.
(d) Go down the river.
14. How do Lina and Doon plan to tell everyone they've found a way out of Ember?
(a) They'll take Clary, Mrs. Murdo, Mr. Harrow and leave.
(b) They'll leave a note and go ahead.
(c) Tell the mayor.
(d) Announce it at teh beginning of the singing.
15. What does Lina believe is the most frightening part about the first moments of the ride down the river?
(a) Not knowing where they're going.
(b) Being slammed into rocks.
(c) Being wet.
(d) Going so fast in the dark.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many boxes do Lina and Doon find behind the door?
2. What does Doon believe is causing the sound they can hear once they are out of the tunnel?
3. What does Lina use Doon's rope for?
4. Which of the items does Lina say she'll accept from Lizzie and Looper?
5. What does Lina see when she looks over the riverbank and discovers a ledge?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)