|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Doon grab from his room before going with Lina?
(a) His jacket.
(b) A knife.
(c) A box of matches.
(d) Rain boots.
2. What are the two items Doon and Lina find in the boxes that they don't understand?
(a) Candy bars and sodas.
(b) Candles and matches.
(c) Flashlights and flares.
(d) A map and boat paddles.
3. What are the two things the writer of the last message say she wasn't allowed to bring?
(a) Extra clothing and soap.
(b) Clocks and phones.
(c) Books and photographs.
(d) Radios and televisions.
4. What does Mrs. Murdo have cooked for dinner when Lina gets home with the food from Lizzie?
(a) Beet and bean stew.
(b) Pineapples and cake.
(c) Spaghetti with tomato sauce.
(d) Green bean casserole.
5. What is in each of the boats Doon and Lina find in the second room?
(a) A small motor and a can of gasoline.
(b) Two boxes and two paddles.
(c) Eight boxes and some long poles.
(d) A long rope and a box of candles.
6. How does Doon find the notice on the wall?
(a) He touches it with his hands.
(b) He falls and finds it.
(c) Poppy picks it up.
(d) The notice shines in the candlelight.
7. What does the writer say is the purpose of the plan to create Ember?
(a) To punish those convicted of crimes.
(b) She doesn't say.
(c) To hide people from an invading army.
(d) To be sure people don't disappear from the Earth.
8. What time does Doon head to the Pipeworks?
(a) Four o'clock.
(c) Two o'clock.
(d) Seven o'clock.
9. What happens the moment Lina steps onto the roof?
(a) The singing begins.
(b) The guards rush out of the building.
(c) Lina falls.
(d) The lights come on.
10. Where does Lina hide while waiting to implement her plan?
(a) Near the trash can enclosure.
(b) In the school.
(c) At the greenhouse.
(d) Under a porch.
11. What color was the door Lina and Doon find once they are on the ledge?
12. How does Lina get Lizzie to stop?
(a) Calls out to her.
(b) Grabs her coat.
(c) Steps in front of her.
(d) Throws a rock at her.
13. What happens when Doon tries to write on the lid of one of the boxes?
(a) The match he's using bursts into flame.
(b) The box breaks open.
(c) The candle he's using breaks.
14. What does Clary say she remembers about the mayor when he was "first starting out?"
(a) That he was greedy and wicked.
(b) That he was foolish but not wicked.
(c) That he wanted what was best for the people.
(d) That he was always angry.
15. What color is the moth Doon watches hatch?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who signed the notice Doon finds?
2. What does Lina say is the biggest difference between her home and that of Mrs. Murdo?
3. What happens while the people are singing "Song of the Darkness"?
4. Whose hand does Lina hold when they emerge from the tunnel?
5. Who is second-in-command after the mayor?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)