|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the writer of the last message say she is writing down what happens?
(a) Someone might need to know.
(b) She doesn't say.
(c) Someone told her to.
(d) She is bored.
2. What do Doon and Lina do while they eat the last of the food Doon has?
(a) Look for a place to rest.
(b) Try to figure out what to do next.
(c) Try to decide how to get a message to Ember.
(d) Read the book Poppy found.
3. What does Doon grab from his room before going with Lina?
(a) A knife.
(b) His jacket.
(c) Rain boots.
(d) A box of matches.
4. What happens when Doon tries to write on the lid of one of the boxes?
(a) The candle he's using breaks.
(c) The box breaks open.
(d) The match he's using bursts into flame.
5. What happens while the people are singing "Song of the Darkness"?
(a) The lights go off again.
(b) The mayor interrupts, telling everyone to look for Lina.
(c) The guards push through the crowd, looking for Lina.
(d) Lina leaves Ember.
6. What day does "the last message" begin on?
7. What does Poppy do when Lina and Doon go to put the boat into the river?
(b) Falls asleep.
8. Why is everyone let off work at noon in the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) They are always off at noon on Saturday.
(b) To rehearse singing.
(c) To shop and do other errands.
(d) To rest.
9. What does Doon say they have to do about the mayor's secret room?
(a) Tell everyone.
(b) Tell Clary.
(c) Take pictures as proof.
(d) Keep it a secret.
10. What does Lina say is her favorite day of the year?
(a) Singing day.
(c) Peaches day.
(d) Her birthday.
11. Where does Doon leave the note for his father?
(a) On the kiosk.
(b) On the ground near the school.
(c) At his father's shop.
(d) On the door of the library.
12. Who is the first to get into the boat once it's in the river?
(c) They all go at the same time.
13. What does the writer say is the purpose of the plan to create Ember?
(a) To punish those convicted of crimes.
(b) She doesn't say.
(c) To be sure people don't disappear from the Earth.
(d) To hide people from an invading army.
14. What do Doon and Lina do for most of the day after reading the book?
(a) Sleep and eat.
(b) Search for another way in to Ember.
(c) Look for a city or some people.
15. How many candles do Doon and Lina use before they reach the end of the underground path?
(a) They are using their first.
(b) They are using their fifth.
(c) They lost count.
(d) They are using their third.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Doon, Lina, and Poppy clean their hands after eating the fruit?
2. Where does Doon keep the book he's written about bugs?
3. What are the two items Doon and Lina find in the boxes that they don't understand?
4. What happens the moment Lina steps onto the roof?
5. What does Lina say when Poppy says she wants to go home?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)