|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Doon grab from his room before going with Lina?
(a) His jacket.
(b) Rain boots.
(c) A box of matches.
(d) A knife.
2. What is the most common message Lina carries during the day in Chapter 12?
(a) That people believe the mayor is corrupt.
(b) That people are staying home.
(c) That people have found many cans of food.
(d) That people are looking for a way out of Ember.
3. What does Lina believe the paddles are for?
(a) Steering the boat.
(c) She doesn't have a clue.
(d) Holding on to other boats.
4. What does Lina believe is the most frightening part about the first moments of the ride down the river?
(a) Being wet.
(b) Not knowing where they're going.
(c) Being slammed into rocks.
(d) Going so fast in the dark.
5. What happens while the people are singing "Song of the Darkness"?
(a) The lights go off again.
(b) The guards push through the crowd, looking for Lina.
(c) The mayor interrupts, telling everyone to look for Lina.
(d) Lina leaves Ember.
6. Where does Doon go after he and Lina leave the chief guard?
(b) To Clary's greenhouse.
(c) To work.
(d) To Lina's house.
7. What does Doon use to carry all the items he plans to take with him?
(a) A blanket.
(b) A paper bag.
(c) A pillowcase.
(d) A suitcase.
8. What does Mrs. Murdo have cooked for dinner when Lina gets home with the food from Lizzie?
(a) Beet and bean stew.
(b) Spaghetti with tomato sauce.
(c) Green bean casserole.
(d) Pineapples and cake.
9. Whose hand does Lina hold when they emerge from the tunnel?
(a) Poppy's and Doon's.
(b) No one''s.
10. Where does Doon keep the book he's written about bugs?
(a) On top of his dresser.
(b) Under his bed.
(c) On his windowsill.
(d) In his desk drawer.
11. What does the writer say is the purpose of the plan to create Ember?
(a) To be sure people don't disappear from the Earth.
(b) She doesn't say.
(c) To hide people from an invading army.
(d) To punish those convicted of crimes.
12. What does Lina think the columns of rocks resemble?
(b) Piles of mashed potatoes.
(c) Elegant houses.
13. What do Doon and Lina realize Looper is doing with the items he's taking from the storerooms?
(a) Giving it all to the mayor and his guards.
(b) Selling all of it.
(c) Selling some and giving some to Lizzie.
(d) Giving it to the older people who are most needy.
14. What does Doon do with the candles remaining?
(a) Lights them on the rock near the boat.
(b) Leaves them in the boat.
(c) Has Lina carry them.
(d) Puts them in his bag.
15. What happens when Doon tries to write on the lid of one of the boxes?
(a) The candle he's using breaks.
(b) The box breaks open.
(c) The match he's using bursts into flame.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clary say she remembers about the mayor when he was "first starting out?"
2. What does Poppy find and almost chew on?
3. Why is Looper walking more slowly after he's been in the storerooms?
4. How many candles do Doon and Lina use before they reach the end of the underground path?
5. What does Lina say she told Mrs. Murdo when she took Poppy?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)