|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many candles do Doon and Lina use before they reach the end of the underground path?
(a) They lost count.
(b) They are using their third.
(c) They are using their first.
(d) They are using their fifth.
2. Where does Doon go after he and Lina leave the chief guard?
(a) To Lina's house.
(b) To work.
(d) To Clary's greenhouse.
3. What does Doon use to carry all the items he plans to take with him?
(a) A blanket.
(b) A pillowcase.
(c) A paper bag.
(d) A suitcase.
4. What is the first thing Clary points out when she reaches Lina's room?
(a) That her bean has sprouted.
(b) That it is very clean.
(c) That the note is missing.
(d) That Poppy isn't there.
5. Who was at the entrance to the Pipeworks when Doon reaches it?
(b) Lina and Poppy.
(c) A guard.
(d) No one.
6. What does Lina say she told Mrs. Murdo when she took Poppy?
(b) That she was taking Poppy to safety.
(c) That she would be careful.
(d) That she was staying at the greenhouse.
7. What do Doon and Lina realize Looper is doing with the items he's taking from the storerooms?
(a) Selling all of it.
(b) Selling some and giving some to Lizzie.
(c) Giving it all to the mayor and his guards.
(d) Giving it to the older people who are most needy.
8. Where does Nammy Proggs tell a guard Doon has gone?
(a) To his father's shop.
(b) To Lina's house.
(c) To Clary's greenhouse.
(d) To the trash heaps.
9. What does Lina say is her favorite day of the year?
(a) Peaches day.
(b) Singing day.
(c) Her birthday.
10. Who is the first to get into the boat once it's in the river?
(c) They all go at the same time.
11. Who signed the notice Doon finds?
(a) The Builders.
(b) The first mayor of Ember.
(c) No one.
(d) Janelle Harrow, Doon's great-great-grandmother.
12. Where does Lina tell Mrs. Murdo she's going to do when Doon comes to get her?
(a) Find a way out of Ember.
(b) Some emergency work.
(c) Hide from the guards.
(d) Expose the mayor for a crook.
13. Why does Lina say she isn't afraid?
(a) Anything is better than Ember.
(b) She doesn't know why.
(c) She's dreamed about this place.
(d) She's too tired to be afraid.
14. How old does the writer say all the adults are who are headed to Ember?
(a) At least twenty.
(b) No older than forty.
(c) Around thirty-five.
(d) At least sixty.
15. What does Lina say when Poppy says she wants to go home?
(a) That they'll have a new home.
(b) That they're almost there.
(c) That they can't go back.
(d) That she shouldn't cry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lina realize about Doon after she tells him about her Granny's death?
2. Where do the children put the lighted candles once the boat slows?
3. What is the question Lina asks Mrs. Murdo about the song Mrs. Murdo is singing to Poppy?
4. How many boxes do Lina and Doon find behind the door?
5. How do Doon, Lina, and Poppy clean their hands after eating the fruit?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)