|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Believer's flute made of?
(a) A drainpipe.
(b) A corn stalk.
(d) A piece of wood.
2. Who does the chief builder say will keep the instructions for leaving the city?
(a) The chief of the guards.
(b) The mayor.
(c) Lina's grandmother.
(d) The timekeeper.
3. Which of the reports does Lizzie say she's never allowed to see?
(a) The report for children's shoes.
(b) The report for forks.
(c) The report for lightbulbs.
(d) The report for canned pineapples.
4. What does Clary give Lina as Lina is leaving the greenhouse?
(a) A hug.
(b) An admonition not to tell anyone about Sadge.
(c) A message for Looper.
(d) A bean seed and some soil in a pot.
5. How many people had traveled into the Unknown Regions, never to return?
(c) Four in the past year.
(d) Too many to count.
6. What does the mayor do to try to make his words heard by the crowd gathered for the meeting?
(a) Uses a megaphone.
(b) Stands on a roof.
(c) Yells really loudly.
(d) Has a woman shout out his messages.
7. Where does Lizzie say she was when the big blackout occurred?
(a) At work.
(b) At the greenhouse.
(c) At the store.
(d) At home.
8. What is Doon's father's job?
(a) He runs the Small Items shop.
(b) He works on the generator.
(c) He keeps the town's clock running.
(d) He works for the mayor.
9. Where is Poppy when Lina returns home from work in Chapter 4?
(a) Asleep in Lina's bed.
(b) Alone in the apartment.
(c) Lost in the street.
(d) Alone in the shop.
10. Why does Clary say she told Lina to leave when Sadge arrived?
(a) She was afraid Lina would call Sadge stupid.
(b) She was afraid Lina would be afraid.
(c) She was afraid Lina would try to venter out of Ember.
(d) She was afraid Lina would tell on Sadge.
11. According to the book Doon finds, what is a "hog"?
(a) The writer says it's a large animal.
(b) The writer of the book doesn't know.
(c) The writer says it's a dirty animal.
(d) The writer says it's the source of bacon.
12. What is written at the entrance of the dark tunnel Doon discovers that ends in a locked door?
(a) No Trespassing.
(b) Caved In. No Entry.
(c) No Exit.
(d) Private property of the Mayor.
13. Who is Poppy?
(a) An orphan Lina's grandmother took in.
(b) The child of a neighbor, Mrs. Murdo.
(c) Lina's neice.
(d) Lina's little sister.
14. What is the first job assigned to a member of Lina and Doon's class?
(a) Supply Depot clerk.
(b) Greenhouse apprentice.
(c) Electrician's helper.
15. What does Lina believe the instructions say a person should do in the Pipeworks?
(b) Find a boat.
(c) Repair the generator.
(d) Look for a door.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a fact taught by the Book of the City of Ember?
2. What does Doon give Lina to wear when they go into the Pipeworks?
3. Who is Alis Fleery?
4. When do Lina and Doon agree to meet to go into the Pipeworks?
5. How long does the chief builder say the people of Ember must stay in the city?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)