|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mayor Cole hold in his hand when he arrives in the classroom for Assignment Day?
(a) A gold box.
(b) A wooden bowl.
(c) A silver cup.
(d) A cloth bag.
2. Who does the chief builder say will keep the instructions for leaving the city?
(a) The timekeeper.
(b) The chief of the guards.
(c) The mayor.
(d) Lina's grandmother.
3. Why does Lina believe the key to the locked door might be in a pan?
(a) She heard the mayor say that's where it would be hidden.
(b) That's where all the people hide their keys.
(c) A pan is the only hiding place she can find.
(d) She thinks that's what the instructions say.
4. Where does Doon live?
(a) In an apartment over his father's shop.
(b) In an apartment next to the mayor's office.
(c) In a tiny shack near one of the parks.
(d) In a house near the greenhouses.
5. Where is Poppy during the town meeting?
(a) At home with Granny.
(b) With Mrs. Murdo.
(c) At school.
(d) With Lina.
6. What does Dr. Tower have in her hands when she tells Lina that her mother died?
(a) A bloody towel.
(b) A pan of water.
(c) A crying baby.
(d) A bowl of soup.
7. What is Doon doing when Lina first sees him in the library?
(a) Putting a book on a shelf.
(b) Sweeping the floor.
8. What is written at the entrance of the dark tunnel Doon discovers that ends in a locked door?
(a) No Trespassing.
(b) No Exit.
(c) Private property of the Mayor.
(d) Caved In. No Entry.
9. What can the people of Ember feel when they stand still in Plummer Square?
(a) The rumble of the river.
(b) The constant earthquakes.
(c) A warm breeze.
(d) Bitter cold.
10. Where did the box with the instructions end up when a mayor died?
(a) In the warehouse.
(b) In the dump.
(c) At the back of a closet.
(d) In a locked desk drawer.
11. What does Clary tell Lina to get for Sadge?
(a) A sandwich.
(b) A blanket.
(c) A drink of water.
(d) Apple juice.
12. Why does Clary say she told Lina to leave when Sadge arrived?
(a) She was afraid Lina would be afraid.
(b) She was afraid Lina would call Sadge stupid.
(c) She was afraid Lina would try to venter out of Ember.
(d) She was afraid Lina would tell on Sadge.
13. What kind of soup does Lina make for Granny?
(c) Chicken noodle.
(d) Spinach and onion.
14. How much does the man say he is charging for his colored pencils?
(a) Five dollars each.
(b) Fifty cents each.
(c) Three dollars each.
(d) A dollar each.
15. Who has Poppy when Lina finds her?
(b) Mrs. Murdo.
(d) Nammy Proggs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Alis Fleery?
2. Where does Lizzie say she was when the big blackout occurred?
3. What is Lina's first step toward trying to solve the mystery of the note?
4. What does Doon believe are his two possible courses of action?
5. How many people had traveled into the Unknown Regions, never to return?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)