|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the message Lina delivers to Mayor Cole from Looper?
(a) You are invited to dinner.
(b) I have found more food.
(c) There are no more lightbulbs.
(d) Delivery at eight.
2. What does the old man say when Doon asks how the generator works?
(a) That it's too complicated for Doon to understand.
(b) That Doon shoud come watch it and try to understand for himself.
(c) That he doesn't know.
(d) He begins a complicated explanation that Doon doesn't understand.
3. What does Lina believe the instructions say a person should do in the Pipeworks?
(a) Look for a door.
(b) Repair the generator.
(c) Find a boat.
4. Who does Captain Fleery believe will show the people of Ember "the way"?
(a) Their ancestors.
(b) No one.
(c) Others who escaped.
(d) The Builders.
5. Which of the following is a fact taught by the Book of the City of Ember?
(a) That God created the universe, including Ember.
(b) That Ember is underground.
(c) That the Builders will someday return for their people.
(d) That Ember is the only light in a dark world.
6. What time does Lizzie get off work?
(a) Four o'clock.
(b) Six o'clock.
(c) Five o'clock.
(d) Seven o'clock.
7. What does Mayor Cole hold in his hand when he arrives in the classroom for Assignment Day?
(a) A silver cup.
(b) A gold box.
(c) A cloth bag.
(d) A wooden bowl.
8. What does Doon see when he steps through the door marked "main tunnel"?
(a) A bunch of men, sitting around playing cards.
(b) Nothing because of the darkness.
(c) The generator.
(d) The river.
9. How do Lina and Doon know the man in the tunnel has unlocked the door?
(a) They hear the key in the lock.
(b) They don't know.
(c) They see him unlock it.
(d) The man says he's going to unlock it.
10. What is it about the note that sparks Lina's curiosity?
(a) The printing.
(b) The fact that Granny was searching for it.
(c) The fact that it was in the locked box.
(d) The fact that some of it's missing.
11. Where does Lina say the "door" mentioned in the instructions must lead?
(a) To the Unknown Regions.
(b) To the mayor's office.
(c) To a secret stash of food.
(d) Out of Ember.
12. What is Clary's job?
(a) Sorehouse manager.
(b) Greenhouse manager.
(c) Chief guard.
13. How much does the man say he is charging for his colored pencils?
(a) A dollar each.
(b) Three dollars each.
(c) Five dollars each.
(d) Fifty cents each.
14. What does Sadge say he was looking for when he went into the darkness outside Ember?
(a) A way to carry light into the darkness.
(b) Something that could help the people.
(d) Another city.
15. Where is Poppy when Lina returns home from work in Chapter 4?
(a) Lost in the street.
(b) Asleep in Lina's bed.
(c) Alone in the shop.
(d) Alone in the apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clary say she told Lina to leave when Sadge arrived?
2. What does Granny say she dreamed about?
3. Where did the box with the instructions end up when a mayor died?
4. What is Lina's first step toward trying to solve the mystery of the note?
5. What is one of the things Lina likes about Doon?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)