|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the reports does Lizzie say she's never allowed to see?
(a) The report for lightbulbs.
(b) The report for forks.
(c) The report for children's shoes.
(d) The report for canned pineapples.
2. What was Lina's father's job before his death?
(a) He was a pipeworks laborer.
(b) He was a teacher.
(c) He ran the yarn shop.
(d) He worked at the greenhouses.
3. What has Poppy done with the paper from inside the beautiful box Granny found?
(b) Sat on it.
(c) Thrown it away.
(d) Chewed on it.
4. What is one of the things Lina likes about Doon?
(a) That he's handsome.
(b) That he doesn't interrupt her when she talks.
(c) That he's always by himself.
(d) That he's curious.
5. What is Lina's first step toward trying to solve the mystery of the note?
(a) Taking it to Doon.
(b) Sticking the pieces down.
(c) Taking it to the Mayor.
(d) Rewriting as much as she can.
6. What does the mayor do to try to make his words heard by the crowd gathered for the meeting?
(a) Has a woman shout out his messages.
(b) Stands on a roof.
(c) Uses a megaphone.
(d) Yells really loudly.
7. How does the chef builder intend to arrange for the instructions to be found at the proper time?
(a) Put them at the back of a warehouse so they'll be found when supplies run low.
(b) Put them in a box with a timed lock.
(c) Put them in a hidden place so someone will stumble on them.
(d) Put them in a box with a date.
8. What is the first job assigned to a member of Lina and Doon's class?
(a) Greenhouse apprentice.
(b) Electrician's helper.
(c) Supply Depot clerk.
9. What does Lina do with the message she writes to the mayor?
(a) Throws it away.
(b) Gives it to the mayor.
(c) Gives it to a guard.
(d) Leaves it at the guard's desk.
10. What do the other workers teach Doon about?
(a) Liking Lina.
(b) Collecting bugs.
(c) Eating sandwiches for lunch.
(d) Trying to figure out how to fix the generator.
11. How does Lina say she believes the people of Ember can reach the city Lina dreams about?
(a) She belives they need to climb.
(b) She says there might be a door somewhere.
(c) She believes they need to build it.
(d) She believes they'll travel down the river.
12. What time does the light come on the morning of Granny's death?
13. What does Lina use to draw on?
(a) A soup can label.
(b) A notebook page.
(c) A piece of wood.
(d) A paper sack.
14. Why does Clary say the guards grab Sadge?
(a) Sadge is obviously crazy and dangerous.
(b) They'll have fun scaring him.
(c) It's illegal to go into the Unknown Regions.
(d) Sadge is an escaped prisoner.
15. What does Doon say he usually dreams about?
(a) The river.
(c) Locks and clocks.
(d) A way out of Ember.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the book Doon keeps about the creatures he finds?
2. What is written at the entrance of the dark tunnel Doon discovers that ends in a locked door?
3. When do Lina and Doon agree to meet to go into the Pipeworks?
4. What color are the uniforms worn by the guards?
5. What does Mayor Cole hold in his hand when he arrives in the classroom for Assignment Day?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)