|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Doon see when he steps through the door marked "main tunnel"?
(a) The generator.
(b) Nothing because of the darkness.
(c) A bunch of men, sitting around playing cards.
(d) The river.
2. What is the message Lina carries repeatedly the day after the blackout?
(a) That someone should find a way out of Ember.
(b) That everyone believes the mayor should be fired.
(c) That the blackout lasted seven minutes.
(d) That no one is to blame for the blackouts.
3. What is the food most people in Ember eat almost every day?
(b) Green beans.
4. Where did the box with the instructions end up when a mayor died?
(a) In a locked desk drawer.
(b) At the back of a closet.
(c) In the warehouse.
(d) In the dump.
5. How much does the man say he is charging for his colored pencils?
(a) Three dollars each.
(b) Fifty cents each.
(c) A dollar each.
(d) Five dollars each.
6. Where does Lina say the "door" mentioned in the instructions must lead?
(a) To the Unknown Regions.
(b) Out of Ember.
(c) To a secret stash of food.
(d) To the mayor's office.
7. What does the old man say when Doon asks how the generator works?
(a) That he doesn't know.
(b) That it's too complicated for Doon to understand.
(c) He begins a complicated explanation that Doon doesn't understand.
(d) That Doon shoud come watch it and try to understand for himself.
8. What time does the light come on the morning of Granny's death?
9. How many people had traveled into the Unknown Regions, never to return?
(a) Four in the past year.
(b) Too many to count.
10. How does the chef builder intend to arrange for the instructions to be found at the proper time?
(a) Put them at the back of a warehouse so they'll be found when supplies run low.
(b) Put them in a box with a timed lock.
(c) Put them in a box with a date.
(d) Put them in a hidden place so someone will stumble on them.
11. Why does Lina believe the key to the locked door might be in a pan?
(a) That's where all the people hide their keys.
(b) She heard the mayor say that's where it would be hidden.
(c) A pan is the only hiding place she can find.
(d) She thinks that's what the instructions say.
12. Who is the teacher overseeing Lina's class on Assignment Day?
(a) Miss Harrow.
(b) Miss Rose.
(c) Miss Mayfleet.
(d) Miss. Thorn.
13. How does Lina say she believes the people of Ember can reach the city Lina dreams about?
(a) She believes they'll travel down the river.
(b) She says there might be a door somewhere.
(c) She believes they need to build it.
(d) She belives they need to climb.
14. What kind of races do the workers in the Pipeworks participate in when they have spare time?
(a) One mile races.
(b) Salamander races.
(c) Swimming races.
(d) Climbing races.
15. What color are the uniforms worn by the guards?
(a) Blue and green.
(b) Yellow and orange.
(c) Black and white.
(d) Red and brown.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Doon and Lina do once they reach Plummer Square?
2. What is the Believer's flute made of?
3. What is Granny doing when Lina gets home?
4. Why does Clary say the guards grab Sadge?
5. What is the item Lina feels she needs to buy for Granny?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)