|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the book Doon keeps about the creatures he finds?
(a) Doon's Book.
(b) It doesn't have a name.
(c) Creatures of Ember.
(d) Crawling and Flying Things.
2. How many numbered instructions are there on the note?
3. What can the people of Ember feel when they stand still in Plummer Square?
(a) A warm breeze.
(b) The rumble of the river.
(c) Bitter cold.
(d) The constant earthquakes.
4. What does Clary give Lina as Lina is leaving the greenhouse?
(a) A hug.
(b) A message for Looper.
(c) A bean seed and some soil in a pot.
(d) An admonition not to tell anyone about Sadge.
5. When do Lina and Doon agree to meet to go into the Pipeworks?
(c) In a week.
6. Where does Lina say the "door" mentioned in the instructions must lead?
(a) Out of Ember.
(b) To the Unknown Regions.
(c) To a secret stash of food.
(d) To the mayor's office.
7. What is Lina's first step toward trying to solve the mystery of the note?
(a) Taking it to the Mayor.
(b) Rewriting as much as she can.
(c) Taking it to Doon.
(d) Sticking the pieces down.
8. What does Doon give Lina to wear when they go into the Pipeworks?
(a) A slicker and boots.
(b) An officials Pipeswork jacket.
(c) A helmet with a light.
(d) A vest with a safety harness to keep her from falling.
9. Who does Nammy Proggs say fixes broken things at her house?
(a) She fixes them herself.
(d) Mr. Murdo.
10. What is Doon doing when Lina first sees him in the library?
(b) Putting a book on a shelf.
(c) Sweeping the floor.
11. What kind of races do the workers in the Pipeworks participate in when they have spare time?
(a) Swimming races.
(b) Climbing races.
(c) Salamander races.
(d) One mile races.
12. Who is Poppy?
(a) Lina's neice.
(b) Lina's little sister.
(c) An orphan Lina's grandmother took in.
(d) The child of a neighbor, Mrs. Murdo.
13. What is Arlin Froll's job?
(a) She's the head of the mayor's guards.
(b) She's an expert in the pipeworks.
(c) She's an expert electrician.
(d) She's a very fast messenger.
14. Why does Clary say she told Lina to leave when Sadge arrived?
(a) She was afraid Lina would be afraid.
(b) She was afraid Lina would call Sadge stupid.
(c) She was afraid Lina would tell on Sadge.
(d) She was afraid Lina would try to venter out of Ember.
15. What kind of shop does Lina's grandmother run?
(a) A clock shop.
(b) A vegetables shop.
(c) A small items shop.
(d) A yarn shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mayor Cole hold in his hand when he arrives in the classroom for Assignment Day?
2. How do Lina and Doon know the man in the tunnel has unlocked the door?
3. Where is Poppy during the town meeting?
4. What does Lina do with the message she writes to the mayor?
5. Where does Lizzie say she was when the big blackout occurred?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)