|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The victim's parents tell Borlú that their daughter had angered whom?
2. Once in Ul Qoma, Borlú is finally able to properly see what?
3. Who owns the van that transported the victim?
4. What is the name of the Ul Qoman detective working with Borlú?
5. What new, surprising information does Dhatt tell Borlú?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is David Bowden?
2. Describe the discovery of the victim at the beginning of the novel.
3. In calling Borlú, what crime has the informant committed? Why?
4. Who is Aikam Tsueh and what is notable about him?
5. What is the real identity of the victim? What is known about her?
6. When Borlú arrives at an investigative dead end, Dhatt recommends he return to what? What is the outcome of this advice?
7. What is the Cleavage and what is known about it?
8. What is Orciny?
9. What does the pathologist determine about the victim?
10. Why does Borlú want to speak with the Oversight Committee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Borlú finds himself involved in several conflicts over the course of the novel. Choose one instance of internal conflict and one instance of external conflict, and explain how these conflicts have an impact on the story, on Borlú himself, and on the other characters.
Essay Topic 2
Seeing (and, by contrast) “unseeing” are both essential concepts to the novel. Explain how these concepts are necessary to daily life and how they influence the novel’s themes.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the resolution to the mystery of the murder of Mahalia Geary. Is the resolution a satisfying one? Why or why not?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)