Section 1, Chapters 1-4
The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Miéville, China. The City & The City. Del Rey, 2010.
Section 1, Chapter 1
• This chapter marks the first chapter in the first section of the novel: “Beszel.”
• The novel begins as the first-person narrator, an inspector, arrived at a crime scene.
• A young woman’s body was found “between a low derelict tower and a skateboard park ringed by big drum-shaped trash bins” (3) and had been hidden under a mattress.
• The inspector took charge of the scene and began speaking with other officers.
• The inspector learned a group of teenagers discovered the victim; the teens were “chewers,” or those who chew a drug called “feld” (5).
• When the inspector spoke with the teenagers, the reader is given his full name and title: Inspector Tyador Borlú with the Extreme Crime Squad.
• The teens described seeing a...
This section contains 8,102 words
(approx. 28 pages at 300 words per page)