|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mama do when the workers couldn't pick?
2. When did Mr. Lema teach Francisco to read?
3. What was Francisco behind in when he moved to the Orosi school?
4. What was yelled out while Francisco was playing with his sister?
5. What caused the Mexican Revolution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Francisco do after the parrot died?
2. How did the Orosi home get destroyed?
3. What did Mr. Lema offer Francisco that made him very excited?
4. How did Francisco try to keep his hands warm while picking around Thanksgiving?
5. Why did Francisco stop visiting the parrot's grave?
6. What kept Gabriel from hitting the contractor?
7. What did Francisco have to prepare for at the end of the book?
8. How did Francisco know Papa was sick?
9. What did Mr. Lema do for Francisco?
10. Why could the workers at Corcoran not work in the rain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The people in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the people around them.
Essay Topic 2
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 3
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)