|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Papa always do while he took his nightly medicine?
2. What was Catarina?
3. What did Francisco teach the parrot to say?
4. What did the parrot do when it got angry?
5. What crop did Francisco pick after leaving Ito's land?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Papa have to stop working?
2. What happened to Francisco at the end of the book?
3. What did Mr. Lema do for Francisco?
4. How did Francisco know Papa was sick?
5. Why was Francisco so excited about his home in Orosi?
6. How did Roberto get a job away from a farm?
7. What did Mama say to calm Francisco down after his collection was stolen?
8. How did the Orosi home get destroyed?
9. Why did Francisco stop visiting the parrot's grave?
10. What did Francisco like the most about Ito?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the life of a migrant farm worker differ from your own life? Please use examples from the book to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different life-styles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
Essay Topic 3
Which person did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)