|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Mr. Lema teach Francisco to read?
2. What caused the Mexican Revolution?
3. What lie did Papa tell his kids to tell?
4. What did Gabriel trade for a taquito?
5. How did the family feel about the parrot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mr. Lema do for Francisco?
2. Why did Papa have to stop working?
3. What did Papa say about the contractor after Gabriel was fired?
4. How did Francisco know Papa was sick?
5. What did Francisco have to prepare for at the end of the book?
6. What did Francisco like the most about Ito?
7. Why could the workers at Corcoran not work in the rain?
8. What did Francisco want to earn while working with his family in Corcoran and why?
9. Why did Francisco not take Mr. Lema up on his offer?
10. How did Roberto get a job away from a farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different life-styles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
The people in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the people around them.
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)