|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did Papa earn for 600 pounds of a the Corcoran crop?
2. What did Francisco do to show the parrot he loved it?
3. What did the neighbors do that made the parrot mad?
4. What lie did Papa tell his kids to tell?
5. Why can't the Corcoran crops be picked when wet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Roberto get a job away from a farm?
2. How did Francisco try to keep his hands warm while picking around Thanksgiving?
3. How did Francisco get Carlos to let Manuelito play kick the can?
4. How did the Orosi home get destroyed?
5. What kept Gabriel from hitting the contractor?
6. Why did Papa have to stop working?
7. What does Orosi mean, and why was this so important to Francisco?
8. What did the children do for the parrot after he died?
9. Why did Francisco not take Mr. Lema up on his offer?
10. What did Mama say to calm Francisco down after his collection was stolen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the people touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that people involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
How does the life of a migrant farm worker differ from your own life? Please use examples from the book to support your ideas.
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)