|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrapped the Christmas gifts?
2. How much money did Papa have when he got to his first farm?
3. What did Francisco try to save after the flood?
4. How did Francisco learn that Miguelito moved?
5. Why did Francisco have to repeat a grade?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mama's Christmas gift symbolize to Francisco and why?
2. How did Francisco's family cross the border?
3. Why did Papa not buy anything from the young couple when they came by?
4. What did Francisco's bag of candy at the beginning of the book mean, and why?
5. What was in the special jar at the end of the school year?
6. What did Mrs. Scalapino give Francisco at the end of the year?
7. Why was Papa angry after Francisco worked in the fields for the first time in Soledad?
8. What did Mama do to make money in the Tent City?
9. What did Mama get for Christmas, and why was this so special?
10. What kind of illness did Torito have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Which person did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that people involved in those scenes?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)