|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Francisco's family feel on Christmas morning?
2. What did Francisco like to do most for Torito?
3. Where did Francisco meet Miguelito?
4. Why couldn't Francisco visit Torito at the hospital?
5. Where did this book start?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Francisco try to feel connected to his family while they worked in the fields in Soledad?
2. What did Mama do for the children at Christmas time after leaving Corcoran?
3. What gift did Francisco leave his neighbor after the flood?
4. Why was Mama angry after Francisco worked in the fields for the first time in Soledad?
5. Why was Francisco so happy to meet Miguelito?
6. What was Angel de Oro and what did it symbolize?
7. Who was most excited about the move for the family at the beginning of the book, and why?
8. Why did Roberto not like school?
9. What did Francisco love the most about the first farm his family was at?
10. Where did Francisco get the bag of candy at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was the ending so surprising, and what message do you think the author was trying to send by ending his narrative so abruptly?
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)