|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why couldn't Francisco visit Torito at the hospital?
2. What was Francisco's brother's name?
3. How long did Papa have to wait to find work after crossing the border?
4. What did Mrs. Scalapino forbid Francisco to do?
5. What law did Papa break at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Torito treated in the Tent City before he went to the hospital?
2. Where did Francisco get the bag of candy at the beginning of the book?
3. Why did Papa move away from Corcoran?
4. Why was Francisco so happy to meet Miguelito?
5. What happened the first time Francisco worked in the fields in Soledad?
6. What did Francisco try to save after the flood, and how?
7. What did Mama do to make money in the Tent City?
8. What was in the special jar at the end of the school year?
9. What kind of dream did Francisco have while Torito was sick?
10. What was Angel de Oro and what did it symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Francisco learn most from moving around so much with his family, and how did that affect the tone of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What did Mama's Christmas gift symbolize to Francisco and why?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the people touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)