|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Francisco cross the border?
2. What law did Papa break at the beginning of the book?
3. How did Francisco feel in Soledad?
4. Where were the Christmas gifts placed?
5. What did the border represent to Papa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened the first time Francisco worked in the fields in Soledad?
2. What kind of dream did Francisco have while Torito was sick?
3. Why did so many people move away from Corcoran?
4. What kind of illness did Torito have?
5. What did Mrs. Scalapino give Francisco at the end of the year?
6. How did Mama make soup when they moved from Corcoran?
7. Why did Roberto not like school?
8. What was Angel de Oro and what did it symbolize?
9. How was Torito treated in the Tent City before he went to the hospital?
10. What did Francisco love the most about the first farm his family was at?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 2
How does the life of a migrant farm worker differ from your own life? Please use examples from the book to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
What did Francisco do after the flood in the Tent City, and what did this indicate about her personality?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)