|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the war, Candy and Homer work as nurses' aides at the local hospital and one of the nurses they meet there is whom?
2. After his first letter to Dr. Larch, Homer writes home about how often in Chapter 6?
3. Who does Homer take to Bath to see the Fred Astaire movie in Chapter 8?
4. Who asks Melony is she wants to see the new Fred Astaire movie in Chapter 8?
5. When Wally asks Candy to marry him, she says what in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dr. Larch setting up for the character of Fuzzy Stone in Chapter 7?
2. How have Homer's feelings about St. Cloud's changed in Chapter 6?
3. What is symbolized in the coming of spring in Chapter 9?
4. What is foreshadowed by Wally's return in Chapter 10?
5. How does Dr. Larch relate to Melony in Chapter 6?
6. Who knows or suspects Homer and Candy's secret in Chapter 9?
7. What leads Candy to discover Homer's love for her in Chapter 8?
8. What is discovered about the behavior of Wally Senior in Chapter 7?
9. What leads to the sexual interaction between Grace and Homer in Chapter 7?
10. What do Homer and Candy discuss on Ray Kendall's dock in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the settings of Heart's Haven and Heart's Rock and the history of the Worthington family. How do Heart's Haven and Heart's Rock differ from St. Cloud's, Maine? How is Wally Worthington, Senior described? What is his relationship with his wife like?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the settings of Ocean's View Orchards and the cider house, and the character of Grace Lynch. To what does Homer compare the cider house? How does Homer feel about Grace? How does she feel about Homer?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the characters of Wally and Candy in the narrative. How old are these characters? What are their backgrounds like? How old are they when they are introduced in the novel? How do the lives of Wally and Candy relate to the life of Homer in Chapter 4?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)