|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The foreman at what farm sees that Melony picks apples well and tells her to come back in three weeks when the season starts, so she can work for him in Chapter 7?
2. What worker tells Melony she should give up on her boyfriend since he isn't worth it if he didn't tell Melony where he was in Chapter 7?
3. Two months after Wally's plane goes down, who returns home in Chapter 3?
4. After his first letter to Dr. Larch, Homer writes home about how often in Chapter 6?
5. When Homer opens his wallet in front of the movie theater, the wind blows out what in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is foreshadowed by the bombing at Pearl Harbor in Chapter 8?
2. What does Mr. Rose tell Homer about the differences in rules in Chapter 10?
3. What is symbolized in the coming of spring in Chapter 9?
4. What is foreshadowed in Nurse Caroline's warning in Chapter 9?
5. What is Dr. Larch setting up for the character of Fuzzy Stone in Chapter 7?
6. What can Homer see has changed at St. Cloud's in Chapter 9?
7. What is discovered about the behavior of Wally Senior in Chapter 7?
8. How does Candy establish rules for her relationship with Homer in Chapter 10?
9. What does Homer learn about the history of the cider house rules in Chapter 7?
10. What leads to the sexual interaction between Grace and Homer in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the settings of Heart's Haven and Heart's Rock and the history of the Worthington family. How do Heart's Haven and Heart's Rock differ from St. Cloud's, Maine? How is Wally Worthington, Senior described? What is his relationship with his wife like?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Melony's decision to run away from the orphanage and her theft from Mrs. Grogan. How does Melony feel about this action of deceit? What are the reactions of Dr. Larch and Mrs. Grogan after Melony's disappearance? How does Mrs. Grogan react to her money being stolen?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of St. Cloud's, Maine, and the time period in which the novel begins. What indications does the author give to illustrate the time and place of the novel? Why is the time period important to the plot of the narrative? How does the imagery set the tone for the novel?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)