|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Larch thinks Wally Senior has a neurological problem called what in Chapter 7?
2. The apple pickers are not staying in the cider house because of what reason in Chapter 9?
3. In Chapter 8, when the apple picking season ends, the farmer asks Melony to stay on for what in Chapter 8?
4. Who asks Melony is she wants to see the new Fred Astaire movie in Chapter 8?
5. What did Olive Worthington die of in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads Candy to discover Homer's love for her in Chapter 8?
2. What is symbolized in the coming of spring in Chapter 9?
3. What is discovered about the behavior of Wally Senior in Chapter 7?
4. How does Homer view Ray Kendall in Chapter 6? Who does he remind him of?
5. What leads to the sexual interaction between Grace and Homer in Chapter 7?
6. How long has Homer been gone from the orphanage in Chapter 6? What is going on at the orphanage?
7. How does Dr. Larch relate to Melony in Chapter 6?
8. Who begins to press Dr. Larch toward retirement in Chapter 6?
9. What can Homer see has changed at St. Cloud's in Chapter 9?
10. What does Mr. Rose tell Homer about the differences in rules in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the book Gray's Anatomy and Dr. Larch's medical training for Homer. Why does Dr. Larch give this book to Homer? Why does Dr. Larch choose to train Homer in his practice? Does Homer feel that Dr. Larch is wrong to perform abortions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Neal Dow and the parents of Wilbur Larch, and define and identify irony and symbolism in Chapter 2. What is symbolic about the train that Wilbur's father leaves on? How did Wilbur's history develop him into who he became as an adult? How close was Wilbur with his mother?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss conflict in literary narrative, and identify the major conflicts in "The Cider House Rules". What internal conflicts does Melony face? What external conflicts? What conflicts does Dr. Larch face in regards to Homer? What external conflicts does the character face regarding the orphanage?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)