|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Larch writes a letter back after receiving a donation to the orphanage revealing what about Homer in Chapter 6?
2. Who sends a sizable donation to the orphanage in Chapter 6?
3. Wally and Candy double date with Homer and whom in Chapter 6?
4. Homer drops Wally off at Candy's house so they can have a private night together, and Homer picks whom up for a night at the drive-in movie in Chapter 7?
5. The night before Wally goes back to college, Wally talks about being what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who knows or suspects Homer and Candy's secret in Chapter 9?
2. What is symbolized in the coming of spring in Chapter 9?
3. What is foreshadowed in Nurse Caroline's warning in Chapter 9?
4. Why does Homer take offense to Dr. Larch's telling him he can have a normal life in Chapter 8?
5. What can Homer see has changed at St. Cloud's in Chapter 9?
6. What do Homer and Candy discuss on Ray Kendall's dock in Chapter 8?
7. What is foreshadowed by Wally's return in Chapter 10?
8. Who begins to press Dr. Larch toward retirement in Chapter 6?
9. What does Homer learn about the history of the cider house rules in Chapter 7?
10. What is symbolic about the trees at the orchard in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the characters of Wally and Candy in the narrative. How old are these characters? What are their backgrounds like? How old are they when they are introduced in the novel? How do the lives of Wally and Candy relate to the life of Homer in Chapter 4?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the settings of Ocean's View Orchards and the cider house, and the character of Grace Lynch. To what does Homer compare the cider house? How does Homer feel about Grace? How does she feel about Homer?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the settings of Heart's Haven and Heart's Rock and the history of the Worthington family. How do Heart's Haven and Heart's Rock differ from St. Cloud's, Maine? How is Wally Worthington, Senior described? What is his relationship with his wife like?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)