|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Homer tell Candy to do to avoid getting pregnant after they make love for the first time?
2. When Homer asks some of the women workers about the cider house rules, they explain that who writes the rules every year?
3. What does Melony pack her belongings in when she leaves the orphanage in Chapter 6?
4. Who shows up Ocean View asking for Homer in Chapter 10?
5. Where do Candy and Homer go to talk about the fact that they love each other in Chapter 8?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of sexuality in the novel. How do Dr. Larch's first sexual experiences relate to those of Homer? How is sexuality perceived by the characters? What are the consequences of sexuality seen in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of St. Cloud's, Maine, and the time period in which the novel begins. What indications does the author give to illustrate the time and place of the novel? Why is the time period important to the plot of the narrative? How does the imagery set the tone for the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Wilbur Larch in the narrative. Where was Wilbur born? What does the exposition reveal about Wilbur's past? What were Wilbur's parents like? Where did he study and begin his career?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)