|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Homer notices the majority of the cider house rules have to do with what in Chapter 7?
2. In response to the request of the new board members, Dr. Larch starts writing follow-up descriptions for what in Chapter 7?
3. Who is reading to the girl orphans at the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. In Chapter 6, Dr. Larch writes a letter to tell Homer that Melony left the orphanage and that she took with her the only copy of what book?
5. Chapter 10 begins how many years later than Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is foreshadowed by Wally's return in Chapter 10?
2. What is symbolized in the coming of spring in Chapter 9?
3. What leads to the sexual interaction between Grace and Homer in Chapter 7?
4. How does Melony's relationship with Lorna parallel her relationship with Homer in Chapter 10?
5. What does Mr. Rose tell Homer about the differences in rules in Chapter 10?
6. Who knows or suspects Homer and Candy's secret in Chapter 9?
7. What does Mrs. Grogan see changing in Melony in Chapter 6? Why?
8. What do Homer and Candy discuss on Ray Kendall's dock in Chapter 8?
9. How have Homer's feelings about St. Cloud's changed in Chapter 6?
10. What leads Candy to discover Homer's love for her in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the decision of Candy and Wally to have an abortion. How do each of the characters feel about this choice? Why does Wally attempt to talk Candy out of the procedure? What is Candy's response?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the symbolism of the cider house rules. Why does the author use this as the title of the novel? What is significant about these rules? What is Homer's reaction to the rules? Also discuss racial relations during the time period in the novel. Where do the apple pickers live during the off season? In what ways are they segregated from the white population?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Melony's decision to run away from the orphanage and her theft from Mrs. Grogan. How does Melony feel about this action of deceit? What are the reactions of Dr. Larch and Mrs. Grogan after Melony's disappearance? How does Mrs. Grogan react to her money being stolen?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)