|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Melony is she wants to see the new Fred Astaire movie in Chapter 8?
2. From whose coat does Melony steal money before leaving the orphanage in Chapter 6?
3. In biology class in Chapter 8, Homer embarrasses his teacher by telling him he has what organs of the sheep and the rabbit mixed up?
4. Who does Homer send to St. Cloud's to get a job "doing the Lord's work" in Chapter 10?
5. Who does Homer realize is in the workers' home with him when he masturbates in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Grogan see changing in Melony in Chapter 6? Why?
2. What is symbolized in the coming of spring in Chapter 9?
3. What is foreshadowed by the bombing at Pearl Harbor in Chapter 8?
4. What takes place on Thanksgiving in Chapter 8? Where is the novel set in this chapter?
5. What leads to the sexual interaction between Grace and Homer in Chapter 7?
6. What is foreshadowed in Nurse Caroline's warning in Chapter 9?
7. What is Dr. Larch setting up for the character of Fuzzy Stone in Chapter 7?
8. Where has Melony traveled in Chapter 7? Why?
9. What is discovered about the behavior of Wally Senior in Chapter 7?
10. What is foreshadowed by Wally's return in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe, analyze and discuss the character of Melony in the novel. How old is Melony when she is introduced in Chapter 3? What is Melony's relationship with Homer? How did the disappointments of Melony's adoptive parents contribute to her attitude towards life? What are Dr. Larch's feelings about Melony?
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss conflict in literary narrative, and identify the major conflicts in "The Cider House Rules". What internal conflicts does Melony face? What external conflicts? What conflicts does Dr. Larch face in regards to Homer? What external conflicts does the character face regarding the orphanage?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the settings of Heart's Haven and Heart's Rock and the history of the Worthington family. How do Heart's Haven and Heart's Rock differ from St. Cloud's, Maine? How is Wally Worthington, Senior described? What is his relationship with his wife like?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)