Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Homer realize is in the workers' home with him when he masturbates in Chapter 6?
2. When Chapter 6 begins, Homer has been away from St. Cloud's for how long?
3. A woman whose husband died in the war comes into the hospital for what in Chapter 9?
4. When Homer reaches the town where Candy and Wally live, Homer takes to spending time with whom on his boat?
5. On Thanksgiving in Chapter 8, the Worthingtons are hosting the dinner, which includes Candy and whom?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the symbolism of Dr. Larch in the novel. What does Dr. Larch represent to Homer and the other orphans? How is he viewed by the nurses at the orphanage? What does Dr. Larch represent to the mothers who come to the orphanage?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the settings of Ocean's View Orchards and the cider house, and the character of Grace Lynch. To what does Homer compare the cider house? How does Homer feel about Grace? How does she feel about Homer?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss conflict in literary narrative, and identify the major conflicts in "The Cider House Rules". What internal conflicts does Melony face? What external conflicts? What conflicts does Dr. Larch face in regards to Homer? What external conflicts does the character face regarding the orphanage?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)