Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Homer realize is in the workers' home with him when he masturbates in Chapter 6?
2. When Chapter 6 begins, Homer has been away from St. Cloud's for how long?
3. A woman whose husband died in the war comes into the hospital for what in Chapter 9?
4. When Homer reaches the town where Candy and Wally live, Homer takes to spending time with whom on his boat?
5. On Thanksgiving in Chapter 8, the Worthingtons are hosting the dinner, which includes Candy and whom?
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss tone, metaphor and simile, and analyze the imagery and symbolism in Chapter 5. What is foreshadowed by the wind? How does the imagery of the beginning of the chapter lend to its tone? How is the stationmaster described? What kills him in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the laws against abortion in the U.S. during the 1920's and 30's. What risks did Dr. Larch face in performing illegal abortions? How dangerous were back-alley abortions at this time? What risks did the women who received abortions face?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the settings of Ocean's View Orchards and the cider house, and the character of Grace Lynch. To what does Homer compare the cider house? How does Homer feel about Grace? How does she feel about Homer?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)