|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what nickname does Melony think of Homer in Chapter 6?
2. As Melony boards the train in Chapter 6, she remembers reading on the emblem of Wally's car which said what?
3. What did Olive Worthington die of in the novel?
4. Dr. Larch begins going around now and doing what each night in Chapter 7?
5. The day after the movies is the day that what event takes place in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is foreshadowed by Wally's return in Chapter 10?
2. What does Melony do when being chased by two workers in Chapter 7?
3. Where has Melony traveled in Chapter 7? Why?
4. What is discovered about the behavior of Wally Senior in Chapter 7?
5. Why does Homer take offense to Dr. Larch's telling him he can have a normal life in Chapter 8?
6. What leads to the sexual interaction between Grace and Homer in Chapter 7?
7. What can Homer see has changed at St. Cloud's in Chapter 9?
8. How does Homer view Ray Kendall in Chapter 6? Who does he remind him of?
9. What is foreshadowed by the bombing at Pearl Harbor in Chapter 8?
10. What is Dr. Larch setting up for the character of Fuzzy Stone in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the characters of Wally and Candy in the narrative. How old are these characters? What are their backgrounds like? How old are they when they are introduced in the novel? How do the lives of Wally and Candy relate to the life of Homer in Chapter 4?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the laws against abortion in the U.S. during the 1920's and 30's. What risks did Dr. Larch face in performing illegal abortions? How dangerous were back-alley abortions at this time? What risks did the women who received abortions face?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the decision of Candy and Wally to have an abortion. How do each of the characters feel about this choice? Why does Wally attempt to talk Candy out of the procedure? What is Candy's response?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)