|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, when the apple picking season ends, the farmer asks Melony to stay on for what in Chapter 8?
2. What name do Candy and Homer give to the child they have in the novel?
3. Who is reading to the boy orphans at the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. Who sends a sizable donation to the orphanage in Chapter 6?
5. When Melony gets to Bath, she finds a job working where in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe, analyze and discuss the character of Melony in the novel. How old is Melony when she is introduced in Chapter 3? What is Melony's relationship with Homer? How did the disappointments of Melony's adoptive parents contribute to her attitude towards life? What are Dr. Larch's feelings about Melony?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss foreshadowing in Chapter 5 and Homer's decision to go with Wally and Candy in the novel. What does Homer hope to gain from the experience? What can be seen in the discussion between Wally and Homer?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Neal Dow and the parents of Wilbur Larch, and define and identify irony and symbolism in Chapter 2. What is symbolic about the train that Wilbur's father leaves on? How did Wilbur's history develop him into who he became as an adult? How close was Wilbur with his mother?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)