|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The apple pickers are not staying in the cider house because of what reason in Chapter 9?
2. A woman whose husband died in the war comes into the hospital for what in Chapter 9?
3. What name do Candy and Homer give to the child they have in the novel?
4. Who writes a letter to Homer to tell him about his heart condition in Chapter 8?
5. Melony makes up a story about having what which keeps the men from bothering her in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads Candy to discover Homer's love for her in Chapter 8?
2. What is foreshadowed in Nurse Caroline's warning in Chapter 9?
3. Who knows or suspects Homer and Candy's secret in Chapter 9?
4. What does Melony do when being chased by two workers in Chapter 7?
5. Who begins to press Dr. Larch toward retirement in Chapter 6?
6. Why does Homer take offense to Dr. Larch's telling him he can have a normal life in Chapter 8?
7. What is discovered about the behavior of Wally Senior in Chapter 7?
8. What is Dr. Larch setting up for the character of Fuzzy Stone in Chapter 7?
9. What leads to the sexual interaction between Grace and Homer in Chapter 7?
10. What is symbolized in the coming of spring in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of sexuality in the novel. How do Dr. Larch's first sexual experiences relate to those of Homer? How is sexuality perceived by the characters? What are the consequences of sexuality seen in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the settings of Heart's Haven and Heart's Rock and the history of the Worthington family. How do Heart's Haven and Heart's Rock differ from St. Cloud's, Maine? How is Wally Worthington, Senior described? What is his relationship with his wife like?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the characters of Wally and Candy in the narrative. How old are these characters? What are their backgrounds like? How old are they when they are introduced in the novel? How do the lives of Wally and Candy relate to the life of Homer in Chapter 4?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)