|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The night before Wally goes back to college, he takes Homer where?
2. It takes how long for Homer to write his first letter to Dr. Larch after leaving the orphanage in Chapter 6?
3. How old is Angel in Chapter 10?
4. What does Melony pack her belongings in when she leaves the orphanage in Chapter 6?
5. When Homer Wells receives his survey from the board, it is the same day what who arrives at the orchard in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads Candy to discover Homer's love for her in Chapter 8?
2. How does Candy establish rules for her relationship with Homer in Chapter 10?
3. What does Mrs. Grogan see changing in Melony in Chapter 6? Why?
4. What is foreshadowed by Wally's return in Chapter 10?
5. What is symbolized in the coming of spring in Chapter 9?
6. What can Homer see has changed at St. Cloud's in Chapter 9?
7. What is foreshadowed in Nurse Caroline's warning in Chapter 9?
8. What is symbolic about the trees at the orchard in Chapter 8?
9. How does Homer view Ray Kendall in Chapter 6? Who does he remind him of?
10. What is discovered about the behavior of Wally Senior in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Neal Dow and the parents of Wilbur Larch, and define and identify irony and symbolism in Chapter 2. What is symbolic about the train that Wilbur's father leaves on? How did Wilbur's history develop him into who he became as an adult? How close was Wilbur with his mother?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Homer Wells in the narrative. How old is Homer when he is introduced in Chapter 1? When was Homer brought to the orphanage? How many times is Homer adopted and why do his adoptive parents bring him back to the orphanage?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the theme of fatherhood in the novel. Who, aside from Dr. Larch, exhibits this theme? How does this theme apply to Homer and Dr. Larch? Are their father/son feelings mutual? Why or why not?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)