|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 10, Melony and who are still a couple?
2. The foreman at what farm sees that Melony picks apples well and tells her to come back in three weeks when the season starts, so she can work for him in Chapter 7?
3. Who asks Melony is she wants to see the new Fred Astaire movie in Chapter 8?
4. Who keeps honking the horn outside because he needs Homer's help to get his father out of trouble in town in Chapter 7?
5. Two months after Wally's plane goes down, who returns home in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where has Melony traveled in Chapter 7? Why?
2. How have Homer's feelings about St. Cloud's changed in Chapter 6?
3. How does Candy establish rules for her relationship with Homer in Chapter 10?
4. Who begins to press Dr. Larch toward retirement in Chapter 6?
5. What is foreshadowed by the bombing at Pearl Harbor in Chapter 8?
6. What leads Candy to discover Homer's love for her in Chapter 8?
7. What does Melony do when being chased by two workers in Chapter 7?
8. What is foreshadowed in Nurse Caroline's warning in Chapter 9?
9. What is Dr. Larch setting up for the character of Fuzzy Stone in Chapter 7?
10. Who knows or suspects Homer and Candy's secret in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Homer Wells in the narrative. How old is Homer when he is introduced in Chapter 1? When was Homer brought to the orphanage? How many times is Homer adopted and why do his adoptive parents bring him back to the orphanage?
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss tone, metaphor and simile, and analyze the imagery and symbolism in Chapter 5. What is foreshadowed by the wind? How does the imagery of the beginning of the chapter lend to its tone? How is the stationmaster described? What kills him in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the characters of Wally and Candy in the narrative. How old are these characters? What are their backgrounds like? How old are they when they are introduced in the novel? How do the lives of Wally and Candy relate to the life of Homer in Chapter 4?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)