|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The night before Wally comes home from the hospital in Chapter 10, Candy tells Homer that no matter what happens, they have to promise to do what?
2. When Homer is gone for three weeks, Dr. Larch says he doesn't care about who does what, so who starts reading to the boy orphans in Chapter 6?
3. Who works as a plane spotter for two hours a day at her club in Chapter 8?
4. As the summer ends and Wally prepares to go back to college, Olive offers Homer an opportunity to stay where?
5. Who writes Homer a letter to find out why he hasn't filled out his questionnaire yet in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Homer and Candy discuss on Ray Kendall's dock in Chapter 8?
2. Why does Homer take offense to Dr. Larch's telling him he can have a normal life in Chapter 8?
3. How does Dr. Larch relate to Melony in Chapter 6?
4. What is symbolic about the trees at the orchard in Chapter 8?
5. What does Mrs. Grogan see changing in Melony in Chapter 6? Why?
6. What is Dr. Larch setting up for the character of Fuzzy Stone in Chapter 7?
7. Who knows or suspects Homer and Candy's secret in Chapter 9?
8. What can Homer see has changed at St. Cloud's in Chapter 9?
9. What does Homer learn about the history of the cider house rules in Chapter 7?
10. What is symbolized in the coming of spring in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe, analyze and discuss the character of Melony in the novel. How old is Melony when she is introduced in Chapter 3? What is Melony's relationship with Homer? How did the disappointments of Melony's adoptive parents contribute to her attitude towards life? What are Dr. Larch's feelings about Melony?
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss literary allusion and the novels "David Copperfield" and "Jane Eyre". What is symbolic in Dr. Larch choosing these novels to read to the children? What do these novels have in common? How do the orphans in the novel respond to these books?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the decision of Candy and Wally to have an abortion. How do each of the characters feel about this choice? Why does Wally attempt to talk Candy out of the procedure? What is Candy's response?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)