|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Two weeks after Wally's plane goes down, the Army Air Force visits Olive to tell her that it's a good sign that what happened?
2. Olive and Candy think Wally is alive, but Ray and who think he is dead in the beginning of Chapter 9?
3. What worker tells Melony she should give up on her boyfriend since he isn't worth it if he didn't tell Melony where he was in Chapter 7?
4. Two months after Wally's plane goes down, who returns home in Chapter 3?
5. When Melony gets to Bath, she finds a job working where in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long has Homer been gone from the orphanage in Chapter 6? What is going on at the orphanage?
2. Where has Melony traveled in Chapter 7? Why?
3. What leads Candy to discover Homer's love for her in Chapter 8?
4. What can Homer see has changed at St. Cloud's in Chapter 9?
5. What does Mrs. Grogan see changing in Melony in Chapter 6? Why?
6. How does Homer view Ray Kendall in Chapter 6? Who does he remind him of?
7. What do Homer and Candy discuss on Ray Kendall's dock in Chapter 8?
8. What is discovered about the behavior of Wally Senior in Chapter 7?
9. Who begins to press Dr. Larch toward retirement in Chapter 6?
10. What is symbolized in the coming of spring in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the symbolism of Dr. Larch in the novel. What does Dr. Larch represent to Homer and the other orphans? How is he viewed by the nurses at the orphanage? What does Dr. Larch represent to the mothers who come to the orphanage?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Melony's decision to run away from the orphanage and her theft from Mrs. Grogan. How does Melony feel about this action of deceit? What are the reactions of Dr. Larch and Mrs. Grogan after Melony's disappearance? How does Mrs. Grogan react to her money being stolen?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the decision of Candy and Wally to have an abortion. How do each of the characters feel about this choice? Why does Wally attempt to talk Candy out of the procedure? What is Candy's response?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)