Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Homer realize is in the workers' home with him when he masturbates in Chapter 6?
2. When Chapter 6 begins, Homer has been away from St. Cloud's for how long?
3. A woman whose husband died in the war comes into the hospital for what in Chapter 9?
4. When Homer reaches the town where Candy and Wally live, Homer takes to spending time with whom on his boat?
5. On Thanksgiving in Chapter 8, the Worthingtons are hosting the dinner, which includes Candy and whom?
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss conflict in literary narrative, and identify the major conflicts in "The Cider House Rules". What internal conflicts does Melony face? What external conflicts? What conflicts does Dr. Larch face in regards to Homer? What external conflicts does the character face regarding the orphanage?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the symbolism of the cider house rules. Why does the author use this as the title of the novel? What is significant about these rules? What is Homer's reaction to the rules? Also discuss racial relations during the time period in the novel. Where do the apple pickers live during the off season? In what ways are they segregated from the white population?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Melony's decision to run away from the orphanage and her theft from Mrs. Grogan. How does Melony feel about this action of deceit? What are the reactions of Dr. Larch and Mrs. Grogan after Melony's disappearance? How does Mrs. Grogan react to her money being stolen?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)