|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Dr. Larch in Chapter 10?
2. Where do Candy and Homer go to talk about the fact that they love each other in Chapter 8?
3. To what location does Melony purchase a train ticket after leaving the orphanage in Chapter 6?
4. Who is reading to the girl orphans at the beginning of Chapter 6?
5. Who does Homer send to St. Cloud's to get a job "doing the Lord's work" in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolized in the coming of spring in Chapter 9?
2. What is foreshadowed by Wally's return in Chapter 10?
3. What does Melony do when being chased by two workers in Chapter 7?
4. Who knows or suspects Homer and Candy's secret in Chapter 9?
5. What takes place on Thanksgiving in Chapter 8? Where is the novel set in this chapter?
6. What do Homer and Candy discuss on Ray Kendall's dock in Chapter 8?
7. What is foreshadowed by the bombing at Pearl Harbor in Chapter 8?
8. What is Dr. Larch setting up for the character of Fuzzy Stone in Chapter 7?
9. How have Homer's feelings about St. Cloud's changed in Chapter 6?
10. How does Dr. Larch relate to Melony in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the symbolism of the cider house rules. Why does the author use this as the title of the novel? What is significant about these rules? What is Homer's reaction to the rules? Also discuss racial relations during the time period in the novel. Where do the apple pickers live during the off season? In what ways are they segregated from the white population?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the laws against abortion in the U.S. during the 1920's and 30's. What risks did Dr. Larch face in performing illegal abortions? How dangerous were back-alley abortions at this time? What risks did the women who received abortions face?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Wilbur Larch in the narrative. Where was Wilbur born? What does the exposition reveal about Wilbur's past? What were Wilbur's parents like? Where did he study and begin his career?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)