|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Homer notices the majority of the cider house rules have to do with what in Chapter 7?
2. The night before Wally comes home from the hospital in Chapter 10, Candy tells Homer that no matter what happens, they have to promise to do what?
3. Melony gives her lover a carton to give to Mrs. Grogan if she is alive containing what in Chapter 10?
4. When the other workers leave for lunch, who stays behind to climb up on to the tin roof of the cider house in Chapter 7?
5. What worker tells Melony she should give up on her boyfriend since he isn't worth it if he didn't tell Melony where he was in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place on Thanksgiving in Chapter 8? Where is the novel set in this chapter?
2. What does Mrs. Grogan see changing in Melony in Chapter 6? Why?
3. What is foreshadowed by Wally's return in Chapter 10?
4. How have Homer's feelings about St. Cloud's changed in Chapter 6?
5. What is foreshadowed by the bombing at Pearl Harbor in Chapter 8?
6. How does Dr. Larch relate to Melony in Chapter 6?
7. What is Dr. Larch setting up for the character of Fuzzy Stone in Chapter 7?
8. What is discovered about the behavior of Wally Senior in Chapter 7?
9. Where has Melony traveled in Chapter 7? Why?
10. How does Candy establish rules for her relationship with Homer in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe, analyze and discuss the character of Melony in the novel. How old is Melony when she is introduced in Chapter 3? What is Melony's relationship with Homer? How did the disappointments of Melony's adoptive parents contribute to her attitude towards life? What are Dr. Larch's feelings about Melony?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Homer Wells in the narrative. How old is Homer when he is introduced in Chapter 1? When was Homer brought to the orphanage? How many times is Homer adopted and why do his adoptive parents bring him back to the orphanage?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the theme of fatherhood in the novel. Who, aside from Dr. Larch, exhibits this theme? How does this theme apply to Homer and Dr. Larch? Are their father/son feelings mutual? Why or why not?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)