|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what nickname does Melony think of Homer in Chapter 6?
2. Homer knows more than his biology teacher about what in Chapter 8?
3. Olive and Candy think Wally is alive, but Ray and who think he is dead in the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. When Homer reaches the town where Candy and Wally live, Homer takes to spending time with whom on his boat?
5. What does Homer tell Candy to do to avoid getting pregnant after they make love for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Homer and Candy discuss on Ray Kendall's dock in Chapter 8?
2. How does Melony's relationship with Lorna parallel her relationship with Homer in Chapter 10?
3. Why does Homer take offense to Dr. Larch's telling him he can have a normal life in Chapter 8?
4. Who begins to press Dr. Larch toward retirement in Chapter 6?
5. What leads to the sexual interaction between Grace and Homer in Chapter 7?
6. What is Dr. Larch setting up for the character of Fuzzy Stone in Chapter 7?
7. How have Homer's feelings about St. Cloud's changed in Chapter 6?
8. What takes place on Thanksgiving in Chapter 8? Where is the novel set in this chapter?
9. What is foreshadowed in Nurse Caroline's warning in Chapter 9?
10. How does Candy establish rules for her relationship with Homer in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting of St. Cloud's, Maine, and the time period in which the novel begins. What indications does the author give to illustrate the time and place of the novel? Why is the time period important to the plot of the narrative? How does the imagery set the tone for the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the laws against abortion in the U.S. during the 1920's and 30's. What risks did Dr. Larch face in performing illegal abortions? How dangerous were back-alley abortions at this time? What risks did the women who received abortions face?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the symbolism of the cider house rules. Why does the author use this as the title of the novel? What is significant about these rules? What is Homer's reaction to the rules? Also discuss racial relations during the time period in the novel. Where do the apple pickers live during the off season? In what ways are they segregated from the white population?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)