|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Melony boards the train in Chapter 6, she remembers reading on the emblem of Wally's car which said what?
2. What does Homer tell Candy to do to avoid getting pregnant after they make love for the first time?
3. In Chapter 8, Wally is talking about how he wants to be a pilot so he can do what?
4. In Chapter 10, Homer has been running Ocean View, and he is now responsible for what?
5. On Thanksgiving in Chapter 8, the Worthingtons are hosting the dinner, which includes Candy and whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who knows or suspects Homer and Candy's secret in Chapter 9?
2. What can Homer see has changed at St. Cloud's in Chapter 9?
3. What does Melony do when being chased by two workers in Chapter 7?
4. What takes place on Thanksgiving in Chapter 8? Where is the novel set in this chapter?
5. What leads Candy to discover Homer's love for her in Chapter 8?
6. What does Mrs. Grogan see changing in Melony in Chapter 6? Why?
7. What leads to the sexual interaction between Grace and Homer in Chapter 7?
8. What does Mr. Rose tell Homer about the differences in rules in Chapter 10?
9. How does Candy establish rules for her relationship with Homer in Chapter 10?
10. How long has Homer been gone from the orphanage in Chapter 6? What is going on at the orphanage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the characters of Wally and Candy in the narrative. How old are these characters? What are their backgrounds like? How old are they when they are introduced in the novel? How do the lives of Wally and Candy relate to the life of Homer in Chapter 4?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the settings of Ocean's View Orchards and the cider house, and the character of Grace Lynch. To what does Homer compare the cider house? How does Homer feel about Grace? How does she feel about Homer?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Wilbur Larch in the narrative. Where was Wilbur born? What does the exposition reveal about Wilbur's past? What were Wilbur's parents like? Where did he study and begin his career?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)