|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The night before Wally goes back to college, he takes Homer where?
2. Olive and Candy think Wally is alive, but Ray and who think he is dead in the beginning of Chapter 9?
3. In response to the request of the new board members, Dr. Larch starts writing follow-up descriptions for what in Chapter 7?
4. In Chapter 10, Homer has been running Ocean View, and he is now responsible for what?
5. What worker tells Melony she should give up on her boyfriend since he isn't worth it if he didn't tell Melony where he was in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dr. Larch setting up for the character of Fuzzy Stone in Chapter 7?
2. What is foreshadowed by Wally's return in Chapter 10?
3. What does Melony do when being chased by two workers in Chapter 7?
4. How have Homer's feelings about St. Cloud's changed in Chapter 6?
5. What takes place on Thanksgiving in Chapter 8? Where is the novel set in this chapter?
6. Who begins to press Dr. Larch toward retirement in Chapter 6?
7. Why does Homer take offense to Dr. Larch's telling him he can have a normal life in Chapter 8?
8. How does Dr. Larch relate to Melony in Chapter 6?
9. What leads to the sexual interaction between Grace and Homer in Chapter 7?
10. What does Homer learn about the history of the cider house rules in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the decision of Candy and Wally to have an abortion. How do each of the characters feel about this choice? Why does Wally attempt to talk Candy out of the procedure? What is Candy's response?
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss conflict in literary narrative, and identify the major conflicts in "The Cider House Rules". What internal conflicts does Melony face? What external conflicts? What conflicts does Dr. Larch face in regards to Homer? What external conflicts does the character face regarding the orphanage?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the book Gray's Anatomy and Dr. Larch's medical training for Homer. Why does Dr. Larch give this book to Homer? Why does Dr. Larch choose to train Homer in his practice? Does Homer feel that Dr. Larch is wrong to perform abortions? Why or why not?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)