|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Homer send to St. Cloud's to get a job "doing the Lord's work" in Chapter 10?
2. What did Olive Worthington die of in the novel?
3. The foreman at what farm sees that Melony picks apples well and tells her to come back in three weeks when the season starts, so she can work for him in Chapter 7?
4. Mary Agnes tells whom that she saw a van with the Ocean View orchard emblem on it in Chapter 8?
5. Who writes Homer a letter to find out why he hasn't filled out his questionnaire yet in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about the trees at the orchard in Chapter 8?
2. What is discovered about the behavior of Wally Senior in Chapter 7?
3. How have Homer's feelings about St. Cloud's changed in Chapter 6?
4. Who knows or suspects Homer and Candy's secret in Chapter 9?
5. What does Melony do when being chased by two workers in Chapter 7?
6. What is Dr. Larch setting up for the character of Fuzzy Stone in Chapter 7?
7. What takes place on Thanksgiving in Chapter 8? Where is the novel set in this chapter?
8. Why does Homer take offense to Dr. Larch's telling him he can have a normal life in Chapter 8?
9. What is foreshadowed by the bombing at Pearl Harbor in Chapter 8?
10. How does Melony's relationship with Lorna parallel her relationship with Homer in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the settings of Heart's Haven and Heart's Rock and the history of the Worthington family. How do Heart's Haven and Heart's Rock differ from St. Cloud's, Maine? How is Wally Worthington, Senior described? What is his relationship with his wife like?
Essay Topic 2
Describe, analyze and discuss the character of Melony in the novel. How old is Melony when she is introduced in Chapter 3? What is Melony's relationship with Homer? How did the disappointments of Melony's adoptive parents contribute to her attitude towards life? What are Dr. Larch's feelings about Melony?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss tone, metaphor and simile, and analyze the imagery and symbolism in Chapter 5. What is foreshadowed by the wind? How does the imagery of the beginning of the chapter lend to its tone? How is the stationmaster described? What kills him in the novel?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)