|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a graduation gift from high school, Wilbur's father bought him what?
2. When did John Irving win the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for his script "The Cider House Rules"?
3. Homer sends a note to Melony to tell her what when he goes to read for the girls in Chapter 3?
4. Dr. Larch applies for an obstetrics position in his home town of what in Chapter 2?
5. What do the nurses at the orphanage refer to the doctor as?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways do the characters of Olive Worthington and Dr. Larch relate in Chapter 4?
2. Who helps Wally and Candy arrive at the orphanage in Chapter 5? What impression do these characters have?
3. What is foreshadowed about the life and career of Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
4. Discuss the symbolism and foreshadowing in Chapter 4. What is foreshadowed by Candy's pregnancy?
5. How is Homer's first meeting with Candy and Wally described in Chapter 5?
6. What imagery does the author use in describing Homer's walks from the girls' division at the orphanage in Chapter 3? What is symbolic about this imagery?
7. Why does Dr. Larch ask Homer to perform an autopsy in Chapter 5? What does Homer find?
8. In what ways is St. Cloud's symbolic? How does the author establish this in Chapter 1?
9. How is the atmosphere described in the beginning of Chapter 5? What is symbolic in this description?
10. How is Homer Wells described in Chapter 1? How is Homer viewed by Dr. Larch and the nurses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Wilbur Larch in the narrative. Where was Wilbur born? What does the exposition reveal about Wilbur's past? What were Wilbur's parents like? Where did he study and begin his career?
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss conflict in literary narrative, and identify the major conflicts in "The Cider House Rules". What internal conflicts does Melony face? What external conflicts? What conflicts does Dr. Larch face in regards to Homer? What external conflicts does the character face regarding the orphanage?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the settings of Ocean's View Orchards and the cider house, and the character of Grace Lynch. To what does Homer compare the cider house? How does Homer feel about Grace? How does she feel about Homer?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)