|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Larch is surprised to see that the woman in the pornographic photo is whom in Chapter 3?
2. How many of John Irving's novels have been adapted to film?
3. What college did Wilbur Larch attend for his undergraduate degree?
4. When Wally asks some of the men working at his parents' orchard about abortion, one of the men tells him to talk to whom in Chapter 4?
5. What was the name of John Irving's first novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dr. Larch's reaction to Homer's leaving the orphanage in Chapter 5? What is foreshadowed?
2. In what ways does Dr. Larch record the history of St. Cloud's as described in Chapter 1?
3. What is symbolic about Dr. Larch's choices for the books read to the orphans in Chapter 3?
4. What is ironic about Wilbur's parents in Chapter 2? How is Wilbur's career shaped by his encounter with the prostitute?
5. How is Homer's first meeting with Candy and Wally described in Chapter 5?
6. How is the atmosphere described in the beginning of Chapter 5? What is symbolic in this description?
7. In what ways do the characters of Olive Worthington and Dr. Larch relate in Chapter 4?
8. Why does the prostitute's daughter come to Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
9. In what ways does the character of Dr. Larch symbolize God? How is this illustrated in Chapter 3?
10. What is foreshadowed about the life and career of Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss foreshadowing in Chapter 5 and Homer's decision to go with Wally and Candy in the novel. What does Homer hope to gain from the experience? What can be seen in the discussion between Wally and Homer?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Melony's decision to run away from the orphanage and her theft from Mrs. Grogan. How does Melony feel about this action of deceit? What are the reactions of Dr. Larch and Mrs. Grogan after Melony's disappearance? How does Mrs. Grogan react to her money being stolen?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the symbolism of Dr. Larch in the novel. What does Dr. Larch represent to Homer and the other orphans? How is he viewed by the nurses at the orphanage? What does Dr. Larch represent to the mothers who come to the orphanage?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)