|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After graduating from medical school, Dr. Larch delivers babies where?
2. Dr. Larch applies for an obstetrics position in his home town of what in Chapter 2?
3. In Chapter 5, Melony watches as a few women walk from the first train of the morning up to St. Cloud's and observes that the women that come on the morning train and leave on the afternoon train are different how?
4. Homer tells Dr. Larch about the trip to the apple orchard, saying he'll be gone how long in Chapter 5?
5. Wally keeps talking about what that the orphanage should plant on the hill in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Dr. Larch send the prostitute's daughter in Chapter 2? What happens to her there?
2. In what ways do the characters of Olive Worthington and Dr. Larch relate in Chapter 4?
3. What is Dr. Larch's reaction to Homer's leaving the orphanage in Chapter 5? What is foreshadowed?
4. Discuss the symbolism and foreshadowing in Chapter 4. What is foreshadowed by Candy's pregnancy?
5. What is symbolic about Dr. Larch's choices for the books read to the orphans in Chapter 3?
6. Why does the prostitute's daughter come to Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
7. How is the atmosphere described in the beginning of Chapter 5? What is symbolic in this description?
8. What is ironic about Wilbur's parents in Chapter 2? How is Wilbur's career shaped by his encounter with the prostitute?
9. What is the setting of the novel established in Chapter 1? During what time period does the novel begin?
10. In what ways does Dr. Larch record the history of St. Cloud's as described in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the decision of Candy and Wally to have an abortion. How do each of the characters feel about this choice? Why does Wally attempt to talk Candy out of the procedure? What is Candy's response?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the settings of Ocean's View Orchards and the cider house, and the character of Grace Lynch. To what does Homer compare the cider house? How does Homer feel about Grace? How does she feel about Homer?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the theme of fatherhood in the novel. Who, aside from Dr. Larch, exhibits this theme? How does this theme apply to Homer and Dr. Larch? Are their father/son feelings mutual? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)