|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Larch is surprised to see that the woman in the pornographic photo is whom in Chapter 3?
2. What is the name of the apple orchard that Wally Worthington Senior owns?
3. When one of the orphans dies, Dr. Larch writes a history about the child being what?
4. What did Wilbur Larch contract as a result of his father's graduation gift?
5. Melony suggests to Homer that Dr. Larch is addicted to what in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the setting of Heart's Haven and Heart's Rock compare to the orphanage in Chapter 4?
2. Who helps Wally and Candy arrive at the orphanage in Chapter 5? What impression do these characters have?
3. In what ways do the characters of Olive Worthington and Dr. Larch relate in Chapter 4?
4. How is Homer's first meeting with Candy and Wally described in Chapter 5?
5. Where does Dr. Larch send the prostitute's daughter in Chapter 2? What happens to her there?
6. How does the book Jane Eyre relate to the main characters in Chapter 4? What heroic act does Homer do in this chapter?
7. What is foreshadowed about the life and career of Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
8. Why does Dr. Larch keep the women having abortions separate from the women giving birth in Chapter 3?
9. What is symbolic about Dr. Larch's choices for the books read to the orphans in Chapter 3?
10. How is Homer Wells described in Chapter 1? How is Homer viewed by Dr. Larch and the nurses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the characters of Wally and Candy in the narrative. How old are these characters? What are their backgrounds like? How old are they when they are introduced in the novel? How do the lives of Wally and Candy relate to the life of Homer in Chapter 4?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the settings of Ocean's View Orchards and the cider house, and the character of Grace Lynch. To what does Homer compare the cider house? How does Homer feel about Grace? How does she feel about Homer?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss literary allusion and the novels "David Copperfield" and "Jane Eyre". What is symbolic in Dr. Larch choosing these novels to read to the children? What do these novels have in common? How do the orphans in the novel respond to these books?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)