|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What college did Wilbur Larch attend for his undergraduate degree?
2. How does Homer feel about Candy when he first meets her in Chapter 5?
3. When was John Irving born?
4. What orphan from the orphanage had respiratory problems causing him/her to sleep in a special tent to help with breathing?
5. Wilbur Larch was born in what era?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Dr. Larch decide to go when leaving Boston in Chapter 2? Who invites him to a party and why, in this chapter?
2. Where does Wally invite Homer to go with him in Chapter 5?
3. What is symbolic about Homer's naming of the baby in Chapter 4?
4. What is symbolic about Dr. Larch's choices for the books read to the orphans in Chapter 3?
5. Where does Dr. Larch send the prostitute's daughter in Chapter 2? What happens to her there?
6. How do the characters of Homer and Wally relate in Chapter 4?
7. Why does the prostitute's daughter come to Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
8. What is the setting of the novel established in Chapter 1? During what time period does the novel begin?
9. Why does Dr. Larch keep the women having abortions separate from the women giving birth in Chapter 3?
10. In what ways do the characters of Olive Worthington and Dr. Larch relate in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Melony's decision to run away from the orphanage and her theft from Mrs. Grogan. How does Melony feel about this action of deceit? What are the reactions of Dr. Larch and Mrs. Grogan after Melony's disappearance? How does Mrs. Grogan react to her money being stolen?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Homer Wells in the narrative. How old is Homer when he is introduced in Chapter 1? When was Homer brought to the orphanage? How many times is Homer adopted and why do his adoptive parents bring him back to the orphanage?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the symbolism of the cider house rules. Why does the author use this as the title of the novel? What is significant about these rules? What is Homer's reaction to the rules? Also discuss racial relations during the time period in the novel. Where do the apple pickers live during the off season? In what ways are they segregated from the white population?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)