|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Wally sees Candy with the younger boy in her lap, he begs her to do what in Chapter 5?
2. In Chapter 4, a pregnant woman comes to St. Cloud's and collapses in the dispensary from what?
3. What is the name of Wally's girlfriend in Chapter 4?
4. Homer packs his bag and says goodbye to the two nurses while Dr. Larch starts the autopsy on whom in Chapter 5?
5. What kind of car does Wally's father own in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the character of Melony symbolize in Homer's life in Chapter 3?
2. What is Dr. Larch's reaction to Homer's leaving the orphanage in Chapter 5? What is foreshadowed?
3. How does the setting of Heart's Haven and Heart's Rock compare to the orphanage in Chapter 4?
4. How does the book Jane Eyre relate to the main characters in Chapter 4? What heroic act does Homer do in this chapter?
5. Discuss the symbolism and foreshadowing in Chapter 4. What is foreshadowed by Candy's pregnancy?
6. How is Melony described by the author in Chapter 3? What age is Melony?
7. In what ways does the character of Dr. Larch symbolize God? How is this illustrated in Chapter 3?
8. How does the author describe Wilbur Larch's early life in Chapter 2? What led to Wilbur's sexually transmitted disease?
9. How is Homer's first meeting with Candy and Wally described in Chapter 5?
10. Why does the prostitute's daughter come to Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the characters of Wally and Candy in the narrative. How old are these characters? What are their backgrounds like? How old are they when they are introduced in the novel? How do the lives of Wally and Candy relate to the life of Homer in Chapter 4?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the symbolism of the cider house rules. Why does the author use this as the title of the novel? What is significant about these rules? What is Homer's reaction to the rules? Also discuss racial relations during the time period in the novel. Where do the apple pickers live during the off season? In what ways are they segregated from the white population?
Essay Topic 3
Describe, analyze and discuss the character of Melony in the novel. How old is Melony when she is introduced in Chapter 3? What is Melony's relationship with Homer? How did the disappointments of Melony's adoptive parents contribute to her attitude towards life? What are Dr. Larch's feelings about Melony?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)