Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wilbur Larch's mother worked for whom?
2. When was "The World According to Garp" published?
3. Wally's girlfriend in Chapter 4 is the daughter of the local what?
4. The town in which the orphanage is set is described as what?
5. Melony tells Homer in Chapter 3 that if Homer was born at the orphanage, then there is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is foreshadowed by Wally's return in Chapter 10?
2. How have Homer's feelings about St. Cloud's changed in Chapter 6?
3. What leads Candy to discover Homer's love for her in Chapter 8?
4. What does the exposition reveal about Dr. Larch's past in Chapter 1?
5. How does Dr. Larch relate to Melony in Chapter 6?
6. How does the book Jane Eyre relate to the main characters in Chapter 4? What heroic act does Homer do in this chapter?
7. What is foreshadowed about the life and career of Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
8. In what ways do the characters of Olive Worthington and Dr. Larch relate in Chapter 4?
9. Who begins to press Dr. Larch toward retirement in Chapter 6?
10. How is the atmosphere described in the beginning of Chapter 5? What is symbolic in this description?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the symbolism of Dr. Larch in the novel. What does Dr. Larch represent to Homer and the other orphans? How is he viewed by the nurses at the orphanage? What does Dr. Larch represent to the mothers who come to the orphanage?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss foreshadowing in Chapter 5 and Homer's decision to go with Wally and Candy in the novel. What does Homer hope to gain from the experience? What can be seen in the discussion between Wally and Homer?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the settings of Ocean's View Orchards and the cider house, and the character of Grace Lynch. To what does Homer compare the cider house? How does Homer feel about Grace? How does she feel about Homer?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)