Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wilbur Larch's mother worked for whom?
2. When was "The World According to Garp" published?
3. Wally's girlfriend in Chapter 4 is the daughter of the local what?
4. The town in which the orphanage is set is described as what?
5. Melony tells Homer in Chapter 3 that if Homer was born at the orphanage, then there is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is foreshadowed by Wally's return in Chapter 10?
2. How have Homer's feelings about St. Cloud's changed in Chapter 6?
3. What leads Candy to discover Homer's love for her in Chapter 8?
4. What does the exposition reveal about Dr. Larch's past in Chapter 1?
5. How does Dr. Larch relate to Melony in Chapter 6?
6. How does the book Jane Eyre relate to the main characters in Chapter 4? What heroic act does Homer do in this chapter?
7. What is foreshadowed about the life and career of Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
8. In what ways do the characters of Olive Worthington and Dr. Larch relate in Chapter 4?
9. Who begins to press Dr. Larch toward retirement in Chapter 6?
10. How is the atmosphere described in the beginning of Chapter 5? What is symbolic in this description?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Wilbur Larch in the narrative. Where was Wilbur born? What does the exposition reveal about Wilbur's past? What were Wilbur's parents like? Where did he study and begin his career?
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss tone, metaphor and simile, and analyze the imagery and symbolism in Chapter 5. What is foreshadowed by the wind? How does the imagery of the beginning of the chapter lend to its tone? How is the stationmaster described? What kills him in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the characters of Wally and Candy in the narrative. How old are these characters? What are their backgrounds like? How old are they when they are introduced in the novel? How do the lives of Wally and Candy relate to the life of Homer in Chapter 4?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)