|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Homer sneaks into the baby room in Chapter 3, he finds one of the expectant mothers standing there who asks him to do what?
2. Who is looking out the window when the car drives by leaving with Homer in the end of Chapter 5?
3. What drug did Wilbur Larch begin taking regularly while in medical school?
4. When Homer says goodbye to Dr. Larch, they tell each other what for the first time in Chapter 5?
5. What do Melony and Homer see flying in the air by the river in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Dr. Larch send the prostitute's daughter in Chapter 2? What happens to her there?
2. In what ways do the characters of Olive Worthington and Dr. Larch relate in Chapter 4?
3. What is Dr. Larch's reaction to Homer's leaving the orphanage in Chapter 5? What is foreshadowed?
4. How is Homer Wells described in Chapter 1? How is Homer viewed by Dr. Larch and the nurses?
5. How is Melony described by the author in Chapter 3? What age is Melony?
6. Who helps Wally and Candy arrive at the orphanage in Chapter 5? What impression do these characters have?
7. Discuss the symbolism and foreshadowing in Chapter 4. What is foreshadowed by Candy's pregnancy?
8. What is symbolic about Homer's naming of the baby in Chapter 4?
9. Where does Dr. Larch decide to go when leaving Boston in Chapter 2? Who invites him to a party and why, in this chapter?
10. Where does Wally invite Homer to go with him in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Melony's decision to run away from the orphanage and her theft from Mrs. Grogan. How does Melony feel about this action of deceit? What are the reactions of Dr. Larch and Mrs. Grogan after Melony's disappearance? How does Mrs. Grogan react to her money being stolen?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the symbolism of the cider house rules. Why does the author use this as the title of the novel? What is significant about these rules? What is Homer's reaction to the rules? Also discuss racial relations during the time period in the novel. Where do the apple pickers live during the off season? In what ways are they segregated from the white population?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Neal Dow and the parents of Wilbur Larch, and define and identify irony and symbolism in Chapter 2. What is symbolic about the train that Wilbur's father leaves on? How did Wilbur's history develop him into who he became as an adult? How close was Wilbur with his mother?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)