|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which nurse is in love with the doctor at the orphanage?
2. Dr. Larch tries to get Candy alone to explain the procedure to her, and Homer escorts Wally outside in time to do what in Chapter 5?
3. Homer tells Dr. Larch about the trip to the apple orchard, saying he'll be gone how long in Chapter 5?
4. Melony tells Homer in Chapter 3 that if Homer was born at the orphanage, then there is what?
5. How many of John Irving's novels have been adapted to film?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does the character of Dr. Larch symbolize God? How is this illustrated in Chapter 3?
2. How is Melony described by the author in Chapter 3? What age is Melony?
3. Discuss the symbolism and foreshadowing in Chapter 4. What is foreshadowed by Candy's pregnancy?
4. Why does Dr. Larch ask Homer to perform an autopsy in Chapter 5? What does Homer find?
5. What is symbolic about Dr. Larch's choices for the books read to the orphans in Chapter 3?
6. Who helps Wally and Candy arrive at the orphanage in Chapter 5? What impression do these characters have?
7. How is Homer's first meeting with Candy and Wally described in Chapter 5?
8. What is ironic about Wilbur's parents in Chapter 2? How is Wilbur's career shaped by his encounter with the prostitute?
9. Where does Wally invite Homer to go with him in Chapter 5?
10. What does the character of Melony symbolize in Homer's life in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss literary allusion and the novels "David Copperfield" and "Jane Eyre". What is symbolic in Dr. Larch choosing these novels to read to the children? What do these novels have in common? How do the orphans in the novel respond to these books?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the theme of fatherhood in the novel. Who, aside from Dr. Larch, exhibits this theme? How does this theme apply to Homer and Dr. Larch? Are their father/son feelings mutual? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the decision of Candy and Wally to have an abortion. How do each of the characters feel about this choice? Why does Wally attempt to talk Candy out of the procedure? What is Candy's response?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)