|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Melony tells Homer in Chapter 3 that if Homer was born at the orphanage, then there is what?
2. In Chapter 2, Dr. Larch returns to the hospital with a girl how old who is pregnant by her father?
3. Homer performs the autopsy and tells the doctor the cadaver died of what in Chapter 5?
4. Wilbur Larch was born in what era?
5. The nurses keep mentioning in the novel that the doctor is named after what?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways is St. Cloud's symbolic? How does the author establish this in Chapter 1?
2. How does the setting of Heart's Haven and Heart's Rock compare to the orphanage in Chapter 4?
3. Where does Dr. Larch send the prostitute's daughter in Chapter 2? What happens to her there?
4. What causes Homer's first two adoptive families to return him to the orphanage in Chapter 1?
5. Where does Wally invite Homer to go with him in Chapter 5?
6. What is foreshadowed about the life and career of Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
7. How is the atmosphere described in the beginning of Chapter 5? What is symbolic in this description?
8. In what ways does the character of Dr. Larch symbolize God? How is this illustrated in Chapter 3?
9. How do the characters of Homer and Wally relate in Chapter 4?
10. How does the book Jane Eyre relate to the main characters in Chapter 4? What heroic act does Homer do in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the book Gray's Anatomy and Dr. Larch's medical training for Homer. Why does Dr. Larch give this book to Homer? Why does Dr. Larch choose to train Homer in his practice? Does Homer feel that Dr. Larch is wrong to perform abortions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss conflict in literary narrative, and identify the major conflicts in "The Cider House Rules". What internal conflicts does Melony face? What external conflicts? What conflicts does Dr. Larch face in regards to Homer? What external conflicts does the character face regarding the orphanage?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the laws against abortion in the U.S. during the 1920's and 30's. What risks did Dr. Larch face in performing illegal abortions? How dangerous were back-alley abortions at this time? What risks did the women who received abortions face?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)