|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Homer sends a note to Melony to tell her what when he goes to read for the girls in Chapter 3?
2. What college did Wilbur Larch attend for his undergraduate degree?
3. Melony picks up what while she and Homer are hanging out in one of the abandoned buildings by the river in Chapter 3?
4. When did John Irving win the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for his script "The Cider House Rules"?
5. In what historical era does the story begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the prostitute's daughter come to Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
2. How is the atmosphere described in the beginning of Chapter 5? What is symbolic in this description?
3. How is Melony described by the author in Chapter 3? What age is Melony?
4. What causes Homer's first two adoptive families to return him to the orphanage in Chapter 1?
5. What is symbolic about Dr. Larch's choices for the books read to the orphans in Chapter 3?
6. What is Dr. Larch's reaction to Homer's leaving the orphanage in Chapter 5? What is foreshadowed?
7. What is the setting of the novel established in Chapter 1? During what time period does the novel begin?
8. Why does Dr. Larch keep the women having abortions separate from the women giving birth in Chapter 3?
9. How does the book Jane Eyre relate to the main characters in Chapter 4? What heroic act does Homer do in this chapter?
10. In what ways do the characters of Olive Worthington and Dr. Larch relate in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Wilbur Larch in the narrative. Where was Wilbur born? What does the exposition reveal about Wilbur's past? What were Wilbur's parents like? Where did he study and begin his career?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of St. Cloud's, Maine, and the time period in which the novel begins. What indications does the author give to illustrate the time and place of the novel? Why is the time period important to the plot of the narrative? How does the imagery set the tone for the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe, analyze and discuss the character of Melony in the novel. How old is Melony when she is introduced in Chapter 3? What is Melony's relationship with Homer? How did the disappointments of Melony's adoptive parents contribute to her attitude towards life? What are Dr. Larch's feelings about Melony?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)