|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Homer reaches what age do the doctor and nurses fear he will learn about the abortions in Chapter 2?
2. Dr. Larch applies for an obstetrics position in his home town of what in Chapter 2?
3. Who is one of the nurses who works in the boys' division of the hospital orphanage and who tries to never repeat names when naming the babies?
4. Melony picks up what while she and Homer are hanging out in one of the abandoned buildings by the river in Chapter 3?
5. Melony tells Homer that she will do to him what the woman is doing in the picture if he will do what in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the setting of Heart's Haven and Heart's Rock compare to the orphanage in Chapter 4?
2. Where does Dr. Larch decide to go when leaving Boston in Chapter 2? Who invites him to a party and why, in this chapter?
3. How does the book Jane Eyre relate to the main characters in Chapter 4? What heroic act does Homer do in this chapter?
4. How is Homer Wells described in Chapter 1? How is Homer viewed by Dr. Larch and the nurses?
5. Why does the prostitute's daughter come to Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
6. What is foreshadowed about the life and career of Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
7. In what ways does the character of Dr. Larch symbolize God? How is this illustrated in Chapter 3?
8. How is the atmosphere described in the beginning of Chapter 5? What is symbolic in this description?
9. Who helps Wally and Candy arrive at the orphanage in Chapter 5? What impression do these characters have?
10. Where does Wally invite Homer to go with him in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss tone, metaphor and simile, and analyze the imagery and symbolism in Chapter 5. What is foreshadowed by the wind? How does the imagery of the beginning of the chapter lend to its tone? How is the stationmaster described? What kills him in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of sexuality in the novel. How do Dr. Larch's first sexual experiences relate to those of Homer? How is sexuality perceived by the characters? What are the consequences of sexuality seen in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the characters of Wally and Candy in the narrative. How old are these characters? What are their backgrounds like? How old are they when they are introduced in the novel? How do the lives of Wally and Candy relate to the life of Homer in Chapter 4?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)