|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a graduation gift from high school, Wilbur's father bought him what?
2. When Homer sneaks into the baby room in Chapter 3, he finds one of the expectant mothers standing there who asks him to do what?
3. Homer's first foster family returns him to the orphanage because of what reason?
4. The third family that adopts Homer does so when he is how old?
5. Homer packs his bag and says goodbye to the two nurses while Dr. Larch starts the autopsy on whom in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does the character of Dr. Larch symbolize God? How is this illustrated in Chapter 3?
2. In what ways is St. Cloud's symbolic? How does the author establish this in Chapter 1?
3. How is Melony described by the author in Chapter 3? What age is Melony?
4. Where does Dr. Larch send the prostitute's daughter in Chapter 2? What happens to her there?
5. Where does Dr. Larch decide to go when leaving Boston in Chapter 2? Who invites him to a party and why, in this chapter?
6. Who helps Wally and Candy arrive at the orphanage in Chapter 5? What impression do these characters have?
7. What does the character of Melony symbolize in Homer's life in Chapter 3?
8. Discuss the symbolism and foreshadowing in Chapter 4. What is foreshadowed by Candy's pregnancy?
9. What imagery does the author use in describing Homer's walks from the girls' division at the orphanage in Chapter 3? What is symbolic about this imagery?
10. How is Homer's first meeting with Candy and Wally described in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss literary allusion and the novels "David Copperfield" and "Jane Eyre". What is symbolic in Dr. Larch choosing these novels to read to the children? What do these novels have in common? How do the orphans in the novel respond to these books?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the theme of fatherhood in the novel. Who, aside from Dr. Larch, exhibits this theme? How does this theme apply to Homer and Dr. Larch? Are their father/son feelings mutual? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Neal Dow and the parents of Wilbur Larch, and define and identify irony and symbolism in Chapter 2. What is symbolic about the train that Wilbur's father leaves on? How did Wilbur's history develop him into who he became as an adult? How close was Wilbur with his mother?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)