|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wilbur Larch's mother worked for whom?
2. When was "The World According to Garp" published?
3. Wally's girlfriend in Chapter 4 is the daughter of the local what?
4. The town in which the orphanage is set is described as what?
5. Melony tells Homer in Chapter 3 that if Homer was born at the orphanage, then there is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is foreshadowed by Wally's return in Chapter 10?
2. How have Homer's feelings about St. Cloud's changed in Chapter 6?
3. What leads Candy to discover Homer's love for her in Chapter 8?
4. What does the exposition reveal about Dr. Larch's past in Chapter 1?
5. How does Dr. Larch relate to Melony in Chapter 6?
6. How does the book Jane Eyre relate to the main characters in Chapter 4? What heroic act does Homer do in this chapter?
7. What is foreshadowed about the life and career of Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
8. In what ways do the characters of Olive Worthington and Dr. Larch relate in Chapter 4?
9. Who begins to press Dr. Larch toward retirement in Chapter 6?
10. How is the atmosphere described in the beginning of Chapter 5? What is symbolic in this description?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the decision of Candy and Wally to have an abortion. How do each of the characters feel about this choice? Why does Wally attempt to talk Candy out of the procedure? What is Candy's response?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the characters of Wally and Candy in the narrative. How old are these characters? What are their backgrounds like? How old are they when they are introduced in the novel? How do the lives of Wally and Candy relate to the life of Homer in Chapter 4?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the theme of fatherhood in the novel. Who, aside from Dr. Larch, exhibits this theme? How does this theme apply to Homer and Dr. Larch? Are their father/son feelings mutual? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,781 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)