|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Unknown to Dr. Larch, Melony, and Homer, who lay dead in the woods in Chapter 5?
2. Melony tells Homer in Chapter 3 that if Homer was born at the orphanage, then there is what?
3. What is the name of the daughter that a high-society woman wants Dr. Larch to perform an abortion on in Chapter 2?
4. In Chapter 2, Dr. Larch returns to the hospital with a girl how old who is pregnant by her father?
5. After graduating from medical school, Dr. Larch delivers babies where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the atmosphere described in the beginning of Chapter 5? What is symbolic in this description?
2. What leads Candy to discover Homer's love for her in Chapter 8?
3. What is foreshadowed by the bombing at Pearl Harbor in Chapter 8?
4. Why does Dr. Larch ask Homer to perform an autopsy in Chapter 5? What does Homer find?
5. What takes place on Thanksgiving in Chapter 8? Where is the novel set in this chapter?
6. How does Homer view Ray Kendall in Chapter 6? Who does he remind him of?
7. In what ways does the character of Dr. Larch symbolize God? How is this illustrated in Chapter 3?
8. Who knows or suspects Homer and Candy's secret in Chapter 9?
9. Who helps Wally and Candy arrive at the orphanage in Chapter 5? What impression do these characters have?
10. What can Homer see has changed at St. Cloud's in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting of St. Cloud's, Maine, and the time period in which the novel begins. What indications does the author give to illustrate the time and place of the novel? Why is the time period important to the plot of the narrative? How does the imagery set the tone for the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the symbolism of the cider house rules. Why does the author use this as the title of the novel? What is significant about these rules? What is Homer's reaction to the rules? Also discuss racial relations during the time period in the novel. Where do the apple pickers live during the off season? In what ways are they segregated from the white population?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss foreshadowing in Chapter 5 and Homer's decision to go with Wally and Candy in the novel. What does Homer hope to gain from the experience? What can be seen in the discussion between Wally and Homer?
This section contains 1,783 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)