|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Homer performs the autopsy and tells the doctor the cadaver died of what in Chapter 5?
2. What is the birth name of Wally's mother in the novel?
3. In addition to being a drunk and unbeknownst to him and his family, Wally Worthing Senior has what disease?
4. Wally's girlfriend in Chapter 4 is the daughter of the local what?
5. The older of the two orphans think the couple is there to do what when Candy and Wally arrive in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What imagery does the author use in describing Homer's walks from the girls' division at the orphanage in Chapter 3? What is symbolic about this imagery?
2. How do the characters of Homer and Wally relate in Chapter 4?
3. In what ways does Dr. Larch record the history of St. Cloud's as described in Chapter 1?
4. How is the atmosphere described in the beginning of Chapter 5? What is symbolic in this description?
5. Where does Dr. Larch decide to go when leaving Boston in Chapter 2? Who invites him to a party and why, in this chapter?
6. What is Dr. Larch's reaction to Homer's leaving the orphanage in Chapter 5? What is foreshadowed?
7. What does the exposition reveal about Dr. Larch's past in Chapter 1?
8. How is Homer Wells described in Chapter 1? How is Homer viewed by Dr. Larch and the nurses?
9. Discuss the symbolism and foreshadowing in Chapter 4. What is foreshadowed by Candy's pregnancy?
10. Where does Dr. Larch send the prostitute's daughter in Chapter 2? What happens to her there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Wilbur Larch in the narrative. Where was Wilbur born? What does the exposition reveal about Wilbur's past? What were Wilbur's parents like? Where did he study and begin his career?
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss literary allusion and the novels "David Copperfield" and "Jane Eyre". What is symbolic in Dr. Larch choosing these novels to read to the children? What do these novels have in common? How do the orphans in the novel respond to these books?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the book Gray's Anatomy and Dr. Larch's medical training for Homer. Why does Dr. Larch give this book to Homer? Why does Dr. Larch choose to train Homer in his practice? Does Homer feel that Dr. Larch is wrong to perform abortions? Why or why not?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)