|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of John Irving's first novel?
2. What is Homer's last name in the novel?
3. Wilbur Larch's father is described as having been what?
4. When Homer says goodbye to Dr. Larch, they tell each other what for the first time in Chapter 5?
5. Wally's girlfriend in Chapter 4 is the daughter of the local what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the atmosphere described in the beginning of Chapter 5? What is symbolic in this description?
2. What does the character of Melony symbolize in Homer's life in Chapter 3?
3. How is Melony described by the author in Chapter 3? What age is Melony?
4. How is Homer's first meeting with Candy and Wally described in Chapter 5?
5. Where does Dr. Larch send the prostitute's daughter in Chapter 2? What happens to her there?
6. In what ways does the character of Dr. Larch symbolize God? How is this illustrated in Chapter 3?
7. How does the author describe Wilbur Larch's early life in Chapter 2? What led to Wilbur's sexually transmitted disease?
8. In what ways is St. Cloud's symbolic? How does the author establish this in Chapter 1?
9. What causes Homer's first two adoptive families to return him to the orphanage in Chapter 1?
10. Where does Wally invite Homer to go with him in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of sexuality in the novel. How do Dr. Larch's first sexual experiences relate to those of Homer? How is sexuality perceived by the characters? What are the consequences of sexuality seen in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the book Gray's Anatomy and Dr. Larch's medical training for Homer. Why does Dr. Larch give this book to Homer? Why does Dr. Larch choose to train Homer in his practice? Does Homer feel that Dr. Larch is wrong to perform abortions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the decision of Candy and Wally to have an abortion. How do each of the characters feel about this choice? Why does Wally attempt to talk Candy out of the procedure? What is Candy's response?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)