|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The autopsy reveals that the prostitute to whom Dr. Larch lost his virginity to died of what in Chapter 2?
2. When Wally asks some of the men working at his parents' orchard about abortion, one of the men tells him to talk to whom in Chapter 4?
3. What is the name of the apple orchard that Wally Worthington Senior owns?
4. Dr. Larch asks Homer to perform an autopsy on what in Chapter 5?
5. When did John Irving win the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for his script "The Cider House Rules"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting of the novel established in Chapter 1? During what time period does the novel begin?
2. What is ironic about Wilbur's parents in Chapter 2? How is Wilbur's career shaped by his encounter with the prostitute?
3. What is symbolic about Dr. Larch's choices for the books read to the orphans in Chapter 3?
4. Where does Dr. Larch send the prostitute's daughter in Chapter 2? What happens to her there?
5. How is Melony described by the author in Chapter 3? What age is Melony?
6. How does the author describe Wilbur Larch's early life in Chapter 2? What led to Wilbur's sexually transmitted disease?
7. Where does Dr. Larch decide to go when leaving Boston in Chapter 2? Who invites him to a party and why, in this chapter?
8. Why does Dr. Larch ask Homer to perform an autopsy in Chapter 5? What does Homer find?
9. What is symbolic about Homer's naming of the baby in Chapter 4?
10. What causes Homer's first two adoptive families to return him to the orphanage in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss literary allusion and the novels "David Copperfield" and "Jane Eyre". What is symbolic in Dr. Larch choosing these novels to read to the children? What do these novels have in common? How do the orphans in the novel respond to these books?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the symbolism of the cider house rules. Why does the author use this as the title of the novel? What is significant about these rules? What is Homer's reaction to the rules? Also discuss racial relations during the time period in the novel. Where do the apple pickers live during the off season? In what ways are they segregated from the white population?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the symbolism of Dr. Larch in the novel. What does Dr. Larch represent to Homer and the other orphans? How is he viewed by the nurses at the orphanage? What does Dr. Larch represent to the mothers who come to the orphanage?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)