|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, Dr. Larch goes into Homer's history and writes it as if Homer has what to keep Homer from being drafted into the war?
2. In Chapter 3, Dr. Larch makes it Homer's responsibility to read to the orphans for how long each night?
3. Melony tells Homer in Chapter 3 that if Homer was born at the orphanage, then there is what?
4. What did Wilbur Larch contract as a result of his father's graduation gift?
5. Homer sends a note to Melony to tell her what when he goes to read for the girls in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What imagery does the author use in describing Homer's walks from the girls' division at the orphanage in Chapter 3? What is symbolic about this imagery?
2. What is symbolized by Homer's writing on the back of a picture of Wally in Chapter 11?
3. In what ways does the character of Dr. Larch symbolize God? How is this illustrated in Chapter 3?
4. How does Homer view Ray Kendall in Chapter 6? Who does he remind him of?
5. What can Homer see has changed at St. Cloud's in Chapter 9?
6. How does Dr. Larch relate to Melony in Chapter 6?
7. What is symbolic about Homer's naming of the baby in Chapter 4?
8. Who knows or suspects Homer and Candy's secret in Chapter 9?
9. What is discovered about the behavior of Wally Senior in Chapter 7?
10. How is the atmosphere described in the beginning of Chapter 5? What is symbolic in this description?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the symbolism of Dr. Larch in the novel. What does Dr. Larch represent to Homer and the other orphans? How is he viewed by the nurses at the orphanage? What does Dr. Larch represent to the mothers who come to the orphanage?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the settings of Heart's Haven and Heart's Rock and the history of the Worthington family. How do Heart's Haven and Heart's Rock differ from St. Cloud's, Maine? How is Wally Worthington, Senior described? What is his relationship with his wife like?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss conflict in literary narrative, and identify the major conflicts in "The Cider House Rules". What internal conflicts does Melony face? What external conflicts? What conflicts does Dr. Larch face in regards to Homer? What external conflicts does the character face regarding the orphanage?
This section contains 1,818 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)