|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Homer sneaks into the baby room in Chapter 3, he finds one of the expectant mothers standing there who asks him to do what?
2. Melony leads Homer to a picture on the wall where a woman is putting her mouth on what in Chapter 3?
3. What college did Wilbur Larch attend for his undergraduate degree?
4. Melony suggests to Homer that Dr. Larch is what in Chapter 3?
5. What is the book that Dr. Larch chooses for Homer to read to the girls at the orphanage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who begins to press Dr. Larch toward retirement in Chapter 6?
2. How does the book Jane Eyre relate to the main characters in Chapter 4? What heroic act does Homer do in this chapter?
3. How is the atmosphere described in the beginning of Chapter 5? What is symbolic in this description?
4. Where does Dr. Larch decide to go when leaving Boston in Chapter 2? Who invites him to a party and why, in this chapter?
5. What is symbolic about the trees at the orchard in Chapter 8?
6. How does Dr. Larch relate to Melony in Chapter 6?
7. How does Homer view Ray Kendall in Chapter 6? Who does he remind him of?
8. What do Homer and Candy discuss on Ray Kendall's dock in Chapter 8?
9. What does Melony do when being chased by two workers in Chapter 7?
10. What is the setting of the novel established in Chapter 1? During what time period does the novel begin?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the laws against abortion in the U.S. during the 1920's and 30's. What risks did Dr. Larch face in performing illegal abortions? How dangerous were back-alley abortions at this time? What risks did the women who received abortions face?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of sexuality in the novel. How do Dr. Larch's first sexual experiences relate to those of Homer? How is sexuality perceived by the characters? What are the consequences of sexuality seen in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe, analyze and discuss the character of Melony in the novel. How old is Melony when she is introduced in Chapter 3? What is Melony's relationship with Homer? How did the disappointments of Melony's adoptive parents contribute to her attitude towards life? What are Dr. Larch's feelings about Melony?
This section contains 1,847 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)