|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, Dr. Larch makes it Homer's responsibility to read to the orphans for how long each night?
2. After graduating from medical school, Dr. Larch delivers babies where?
3. In what historical era does the story begin?
4. What do the nurses at the orphanage refer to the doctor as?
5. When was John Irving born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Melony described by the author in Chapter 3? What age is Melony?
2. Why does Dr. Larch ask Homer to perform an autopsy in Chapter 5? What does Homer find?
3. What is the setting of the novel established in Chapter 1? During what time period does the novel begin?
4. Why does the prostitute's daughter come to Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
5. Why does Dr. Larch keep the women having abortions separate from the women giving birth in Chapter 3?
6. How does the setting of Heart's Haven and Heart's Rock compare to the orphanage in Chapter 4?
7. What does the character of Melony symbolize in Homer's life in Chapter 3?
8. In what ways do the characters of Olive Worthington and Dr. Larch relate in Chapter 4?
9. In what ways does Dr. Larch record the history of St. Cloud's as described in Chapter 1?
10. Where does Wally invite Homer to go with him in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting of St. Cloud's, Maine, and the time period in which the novel begins. What indications does the author give to illustrate the time and place of the novel? Why is the time period important to the plot of the narrative? How does the imagery set the tone for the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss foreshadowing in Chapter 5 and Homer's decision to go with Wally and Candy in the novel. What does Homer hope to gain from the experience? What can be seen in the discussion between Wally and Homer?
Essay Topic 3
Describe, analyze and discuss the character of Melony in the novel. How old is Melony when she is introduced in Chapter 3? What is Melony's relationship with Homer? How did the disappointments of Melony's adoptive parents contribute to her attitude towards life? What are Dr. Larch's feelings about Melony?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)