|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the birth name of Wally's mother in the novel?
(a) Becky Stewart.
(b) Monica Williams.
(c) Tiffany Rogers.
(d) Alice Bean.
2. Wilbur Larch's mother worked for whom?
(a) The President.
(b) An Army General.
(c) The police captain.
(d) A local politician.
3. In what state is "The Cider House Rules" set?
4. The nurses keep mentioning in the novel that the doctor is named after what?
(a) A bird of prey.
(b) A type of rock.
(c) A tree.
(d) A fish.
5. Homer discovers the abortions that take place at the orphanage when he discovers what in a wastebasket?
(a) A medical report.
(b) A fetus.
(c) A medical bill.
(d) A scalpel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Melony picks up what while she and Homer are hanging out in one of the abandoned buildings by the river in Chapter 3?
2. After the abortion, who comes into the recovery room to be with Candy in Chapter 5?
3. Melony tells Homer that she will do to him what the woman is doing in the picture if he will do what in Chapter 3?
4. When Homer turns to Gray's Anatomy for additional information on the fetus in Chapter 5, the fetus information is where in the book?
5. What is the name of the daughter that a high-society woman wants Dr. Larch to perform an abortion on in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place on Thanksgiving in Chapter 8? Where is the novel set in this chapter?
2. Who knows or suspects Homer and Candy's secret in Chapter 9?
3. What imagery does the author use in describing Homer's walks from the girls' division at the orphanage in Chapter 3? What is symbolic about this imagery?
4. What is symbolic about the trees at the orchard in Chapter 8?
5. What causes Homer's first two adoptive families to return him to the orphanage in Chapter 1?
6. How does the book Jane Eyre relate to the main characters in Chapter 4? What heroic act does Homer do in this chapter?
7. What leads to the sexual interaction between Grace and Homer in Chapter 7?
8. What is symbolized in the coming of spring in Chapter 9?
9. What does the character of Melony symbolize in Homer's life in Chapter 3?
10. What does Homer reveal to Angel in Chapter 11? Where does Homer go at the end of "The Cider House Rules"?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)