|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Homer's first foster family returns him to the orphanage because of what reason?
(a) He is silent.
(b) He never cries.
(c) He swears.
(d) He is violent.
2. Homer packs his bag and says goodbye to the two nurses while Dr. Larch starts the autopsy on whom in Chapter 5?
(a) Mr. Rose.
(b) Debra Pettigrew.
(c) Mrs. Channing-Peabody.
(d) The stationmaster.
3. As a graduation gift from high school, Wilbur's father bought him what?
(a) A new car.
(b) A watch.
(c) A plane ticket.
(d) A night with a prostitute.
4. The nurses keep mentioning in the novel that the doctor is named after what?
(a) A type of rock.
(b) A bird of prey.
(c) A tree.
(d) A fish.
5. What kind of car does Wally's father own in the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. What drug did Wilbur Larch begin taking regularly while in medical school?
2. Melony picks up what while she and Homer are hanging out in one of the abandoned buildings by the river in Chapter 3?
3. Wally keeps talking about what that the orphanage should plant on the hill in Chapter 5?
4. Melony tells Homer that she will do to him what the woman is doing in the picture if he will do what in Chapter 3?
5. Dr. Larch asks Homer to perform an autopsy on what in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolized in the coming of spring in Chapter 9?
2. Why does Homer take offense to Dr. Larch's telling him he can have a normal life in Chapter 8?
3. How does Melony's relationship with Lorna parallel her relationship with Homer in Chapter 10?
4. Where does Dr. Larch decide to go when leaving Boston in Chapter 2? Who invites him to a party and why, in this chapter?
5. What does the character of Melony symbolize in Homer's life in Chapter 3?
6. What does Melony do when being chased by two workers in Chapter 7?
7. What does Mr. Rose tell Homer about the differences in rules in Chapter 10?
8. What is discovered about the behavior of Wally Senior in Chapter 7?
9. What imagery does the author use in describing Homer's walks from the girls' division at the orphanage in Chapter 3? What is symbolic about this imagery?
10. What is symbolized by Homer's writing on the back of a picture of Wally in Chapter 11?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)