|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Two boys from the orphanage playing outside fall over the dead and frozen body of whom in Chapter 5?
(a) The stationmaster.
(b) Nurse Caroline.
(c) David Copperfield.
(d) Dr. Wilbur Larch.
2. Melony picks up what while she and Homer are hanging out in one of the abandoned buildings by the river in Chapter 3?
(a) A frog.
(b) A snake.
(c) A rock.
(d) A stick.
3. By what age is Homer learning to be a doctor, seen a live birth, learned how to perform abortions, and having routine sex with Melony in Chapter 3?
4. What did Wilbur Larch contract as a result of his father's graduation gift?
5. Where does Wally learn he can take his fiance for an abortion in Chapter 4?
(a) Anderson Hospital.
(b) St. Cloud's.
(c) Ocean's View Orchard.
(d) St. Jude's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Melony leads Homer to a picture on the wall where a woman is putting her mouth on what in Chapter 3?
2. The older of the two orphans think the couple is there to do what when Candy and Wally arrive in Chapter 5?
3. What drug did Wilbur Larch begin taking regularly while in medical school?
4. Where did John Irving grow up?
5. Melony suggests to Homer that Dr. Larch is addicted to what in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the book Jane Eyre relate to the main characters in Chapter 4? What heroic act does Homer do in this chapter?
2. What does Melony do when being chased by two workers in Chapter 7?
3. Who knows or suspects Homer and Candy's secret in Chapter 9?
4. Why did Dr. Larch overdose in Chapter 11?
5. What do Homer and Candy discuss on Ray Kendall's dock in Chapter 8?
6. What is foreshadowed by the bombing at Pearl Harbor in Chapter 8?
7. What is foreshadowed about the life and career of Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
8. How is Homer Wells described in Chapter 1? How is Homer viewed by Dr. Larch and the nurses?
9. How does Dr. Larch relate to Melony in Chapter 6?
10. How is the atmosphere described in the beginning of Chapter 5? What is symbolic in this description?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)