|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the city where the orphanage is in "The Cider House Rules"?
(b) St. Cloud's.
(d) Grey Rock.
2. Homer discovers the abortions that take place at the orphanage when he discovers what in a wastebasket?
(a) A scalpel.
(b) A fetus.
(c) A medical bill.
(d) A medical report.
3. In Chapter 3, the first book Homer reads to the boys is what?
(a) Jane Eyre.
(b) David Copperfield.
(c) Grey's Anatomy.
(d) The Bible.
4. Two boys from the orphanage playing outside fall over the dead and frozen body of whom in Chapter 5?
(a) Nurse Caroline.
(b) Dr. Wilbur Larch.
(c) The stationmaster.
(d) David Copperfield.
5. When Wally asks some of the men working at his parents' orchard about abortion, one of the men tells him to talk to whom in Chapter 4?
(a) Grace Lynch.
(b) Mary Agnes.
(c) Olive Worthington.
(d) Debra Pettigrew.
Short Answer Questions
1. Homer sends a note to Melony to tell her what when he goes to read for the girls in Chapter 3?
2. When Dr. Larch catches Homer searching his office, Dr. Larch tells Homer what in Chapter 3?
3. What is the name of Wally's girlfriend in Chapter 4?
4. Where did Wilbur Larch attend medical school?
5. Dr. Larch tells Wally and Candy about Homer's what, in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Homer's first meeting with Candy and Wally described in Chapter 5?
2. How does the book Jane Eyre relate to the main characters in Chapter 4? What heroic act does Homer do in this chapter?
3. What is the setting of the novel established in Chapter 1? During what time period does the novel begin?
4. How is Melony described by the author in Chapter 3? What age is Melony?
5. Discuss the symbolism and foreshadowing in Chapter 4. What is foreshadowed by Candy's pregnancy?
6. How does the setting of Heart's Haven and Heart's Rock compare to the orphanage in Chapter 4?
7. Why does Dr. Larch keep the women having abortions separate from the women giving birth in Chapter 3?
8. What is foreshadowed about the life and career of Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
9. What does the character of Melony symbolize in Homer's life in Chapter 3?
10. How is Homer Wells described in Chapter 1? How is Homer viewed by Dr. Larch and the nurses?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)