|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Wally sees Candy with the younger boy in her lap, he begs her to do what in Chapter 5?
(a) Not have the abortion.
(b) Have the abortion immediately.
(c) Marry him.
(d) Adopt the boy.
2. Two boys from the orphanage playing outside fall over the dead and frozen body of whom in Chapter 5?
(a) The stationmaster.
(b) Dr. Wilbur Larch.
(c) David Copperfield.
(d) Nurse Caroline.
3. What drug did Wilbur Larch begin taking regularly while in medical school?
4. When one of the orphans dies, Dr. Larch writes a history about the child being what?
(c) A runaway.
(d) A carrier of a rare illness.
5. The autopsy reveals that the prostitute to whom Dr. Larch lost his virginity to died of what in Chapter 2?
(d) A heart attack.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Wilbur Larch attend medical school?
2. What orphan from the orphanage had respiratory problems causing him/her to sleep in a special tent to help with breathing?
3. Homer discovers the abortions that take place at the orphanage when he discovers what in a wastebasket?
4. After graduating from medical school, Dr. Larch delivers babies where?
5. What does Homer name the baby he delivers in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Homer Wells described in Chapter 1? How is Homer viewed by Dr. Larch and the nurses?
2. Why does Dr. Larch ask Homer to perform an autopsy in Chapter 5? What does Homer find?
3. In what ways does the character of Dr. Larch symbolize God? How is this illustrated in Chapter 3?
4. What does the exposition reveal about Dr. Larch's past in Chapter 1?
5. How is the atmosphere described in the beginning of Chapter 5? What is symbolic in this description?
6. Who helps Wally and Candy arrive at the orphanage in Chapter 5? What impression do these characters have?
7. How do the characters of Homer and Wally relate in Chapter 4?
8. Why does the prostitute's daughter come to Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
9. Where does Wally invite Homer to go with him in Chapter 5?
10. What is ironic about Wilbur's parents in Chapter 2? How is Wilbur's career shaped by his encounter with the prostitute?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)