|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Homer discovers the abortions that take place at the orphanage when he discovers what in a wastebasket?
(a) A medical report.
(b) A scalpel.
(c) A medical bill.
(d) A fetus.
2. When one of the orphans dies, Dr. Larch writes a history about the child being what?
(c) A runaway.
(d) A carrier of a rare illness.
3. Melony tells Homer that she will do to him what the woman is doing in the picture if he will do what in Chapter 3?
(a) Stay at the orphanage forever.
(b) Get her some ether.
(c) Get her file from the orphanage office.
(d) Run away with her.
4. In Chapter 4, Homer and Melony are close to how old?
5. Which nurse is in love with the doctor at the orphanage?
(a) Nurse Beth.
(b) Nurse Melissa.
(c) Nurse Angela.
(d) Nurse Edna.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the apple orchard that Wally Worthington Senior owns?
2. Melony tells Homer in Chapter 3 that if Homer was born at the orphanage, then there is what?
3. When was John Irving born?
4. What kind of car does Wally's father own in the novel?
5. When Homer reaches what age do the doctor and nurses fear he will learn about the abortions in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the setting of Heart's Haven and Heart's Rock compare to the orphanage in Chapter 4?
2. In what ways is St. Cloud's symbolic? How does the author establish this in Chapter 1?
3. In what ways do the characters of Olive Worthington and Dr. Larch relate in Chapter 4?
4. What imagery does the author use in describing Homer's walks from the girls' division at the orphanage in Chapter 3? What is symbolic about this imagery?
5. Where does Wally invite Homer to go with him in Chapter 5?
6. What is symbolic about Dr. Larch's choices for the books read to the orphans in Chapter 3?
7. Why does Dr. Larch keep the women having abortions separate from the women giving birth in Chapter 3?
8. Where does Dr. Larch send the prostitute's daughter in Chapter 2? What happens to her there?
9. What is Dr. Larch's reaction to Homer's leaving the orphanage in Chapter 5? What is foreshadowed?
10. How is Homer Wells described in Chapter 1? How is Homer viewed by Dr. Larch and the nurses?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)