|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is one of the nurses who works in the boys' division of the hospital orphanage and who tries to never repeat names when naming the babies?
(a) Nurse Angela.
(b) Nurse Beth.
(c) Nurse Edna.
(d) Nurse Melissa.
2. What drug did Wilbur Larch begin taking regularly while in medical school?
3. Wally's girlfriend in Chapter 4 is the daughter of the local what?
(a) Capenter and drunk.
(b) Banker and investor.
(c) Lobsterman and mechanic.
(d) Sheriff and city councilman.
4. Wilbur Larch's father is described as having been what?
(a) A drunk.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A preacher.
(d) A banker.
5. In addition to being a drunk and unbeknownst to him and his family, Wally Worthing Senior has what disease?
(c) Heart disease.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, Melony watches as a few women walk from the first train of the morning up to St. Cloud's and observes that the women that come on the morning train and leave on the afternoon train are different how?
2. As a graduation gift from high school, Wilbur's father bought him what?
3. When Wally sees Candy with the younger boy in her lap, he begs her to do what in Chapter 5?
4. When Homer reaches what age do the doctor and nurses fear he will learn about the abortions in Chapter 2?
5. Dr. Larch asks Homer to perform an autopsy on what in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the symbolism and foreshadowing in Chapter 4. What is foreshadowed by Candy's pregnancy?
2. How is Homer Wells described in Chapter 1? How is Homer viewed by Dr. Larch and the nurses?
3. In what ways does Dr. Larch record the history of St. Cloud's as described in Chapter 1?
4. How is Melony described by the author in Chapter 3? What age is Melony?
5. What does the exposition reveal about Dr. Larch's past in Chapter 1?
6. Why does the prostitute's daughter come to Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
7. What does the character of Melony symbolize in Homer's life in Chapter 3?
8. In what ways is St. Cloud's symbolic? How does the author establish this in Chapter 1?
9. What is ironic about Wilbur's parents in Chapter 2? How is Wilbur's career shaped by his encounter with the prostitute?
10. Who helps Wally and Candy arrive at the orphanage in Chapter 5? What impression do these characters have?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)