|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Two boys from the orphanage playing outside fall over the dead and frozen body of whom in Chapter 5?
(a) Nurse Caroline.
(b) David Copperfield.
(c) Dr. Wilbur Larch.
(d) The stationmaster.
2. Homer tells Dr. Larch about the trip to the apple orchard, saying he'll be gone how long in Chapter 5?
(a) Ten days.
(b) One month.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) A few days.
3. After the abortion, who comes into the recovery room to be with Candy in Chapter 5?
4. What drug did Wilbur Larch begin taking regularly while in medical school?
5. In Chapter 3, Dr. Larch makes it Homer's responsibility to read to the orphans for how long each night?
(a) 20 minutes.
(b) 45 minutes.
(c) 10 minutes.
(d) 1 hour.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wally's girlfriend in Chapter 4 is the daughter of the local what?
2. When one of the orphans dies, Dr. Larch writes a history about the child being what?
3. When Wally sees Candy with the younger boy in her lap, he begs her to do what in Chapter 5?
4. Dr. Larch applies for an obstetrics position in his home town of what in Chapter 2?
5. What is the birth name of Wally's mother in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the character of Melony symbolize in Homer's life in Chapter 3?
2. How is Homer Wells described in Chapter 1? How is Homer viewed by Dr. Larch and the nurses?
3. What is symbolic about Dr. Larch's choices for the books read to the orphans in Chapter 3?
4. In what ways does Dr. Larch record the history of St. Cloud's as described in Chapter 1?
5. What is Dr. Larch's reaction to Homer's leaving the orphanage in Chapter 5? What is foreshadowed?
6. In what ways is St. Cloud's symbolic? How does the author establish this in Chapter 1?
7. What is foreshadowed about the life and career of Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
8. In what ways does the character of Dr. Larch symbolize God? How is this illustrated in Chapter 3?
9. Where does Dr. Larch decide to go when leaving Boston in Chapter 2? Who invites him to a party and why, in this chapter?
10. How is Homer's first meeting with Candy and Wally described in Chapter 5?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)