|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did John Irving win the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for his script "The Cider House Rules"?
2. In Chapter 2, Dr. Larch returns to the hospital with a girl how old who is pregnant by her father?
3. When Wally asks some of the men working at his parents' orchard about abortion, one of the men tells him to talk to whom in Chapter 4?
(a) Olive Worthington.
(b) Mary Agnes.
(c) Debra Pettigrew.
(d) Grace Lynch.
4. Homer packs his bag and says goodbye to the two nurses while Dr. Larch starts the autopsy on whom in Chapter 5?
(a) Mr. Rose.
(b) Mrs. Channing-Peabody.
(c) Debra Pettigrew.
(d) The stationmaster.
5. Melony leads Homer to a picture on the wall where a woman is putting her mouth on what in Chapter 3?
(a) A pony's genitals.
(b) A glass of beer.
(c) A sandwich.
(d) A man's chest.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was John Irving born?
2. Who is looking out the window when the car drives by leaving with Homer in the end of Chapter 5?
3. In what state is "The Cider House Rules" set?
4. Which nurse is in love with the doctor at the orphanage?
5. When Homer reaches what age do the doctor and nurses fear he will learn about the abortions in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Homer Wells described in Chapter 1? How is Homer viewed by Dr. Larch and the nurses?
2. What causes Homer's first two adoptive families to return him to the orphanage in Chapter 1?
3. What is foreshadowed about the life and career of Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
4. Where does Wally invite Homer to go with him in Chapter 5?
5. Where does Dr. Larch decide to go when leaving Boston in Chapter 2? Who invites him to a party and why, in this chapter?
6. Why does the prostitute's daughter come to Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
7. In what ways does the character of Dr. Larch symbolize God? How is this illustrated in Chapter 3?
8. How is the atmosphere described in the beginning of Chapter 5? What is symbolic in this description?
9. What is the setting of the novel established in Chapter 1? During what time period does the novel begin?
10. Who helps Wally and Candy arrive at the orphanage in Chapter 5? What impression do these characters have?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)