|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What woman from a high-society family in Boston invites Dr. Larch to a croquet party in Chapter 2?
(a) Mrs. Grogan.
(b) Grace Lynch.
(c) Olive Worthington.
(d) Mrs. Channing-Peabody.
2. What do Melony and Homer see flying in the air by the river in Chapter 3?
(a) A hawk.
(b) A crow.
(c) A small plane.
(d) An eagle.
3. When Wally asks some of the men working at his parents' orchard about abortion, one of the men tells him to talk to whom in Chapter 4?
(a) Grace Lynch.
(b) Debra Pettigrew.
(c) Olive Worthington.
(d) Mary Agnes.
4. What is Homer's last name in the novel?
5. Melony makes Homer promise that he will stay at the orphanage as long as what in Chapter 3?
(a) Dr. Larch is in charge.
(b) She is alive.
(c) She is there.
(d) He is alive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Larch tells Wally and Candy about Homer's what, in Chapter 5?
2. In Chapter 4, Dr. Larch goes into Homer's history and writes it as if Homer has what to keep Homer from being drafted into the war?
3. Homer discovers the abortions that take place at the orphanage when he discovers what in a wastebasket?
4. Wally keeps talking about what that the orphanage should plant on the hill in Chapter 5?
5. After the abortion, who comes into the recovery room to be with Candy in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the exposition reveal about Dr. Larch's past in Chapter 1?
2. How is Melony described by the author in Chapter 3? What age is Melony?
3. Where does Dr. Larch decide to go when leaving Boston in Chapter 2? Who invites him to a party and why, in this chapter?
4. What is foreshadowed about the life and career of Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
5. What does the character of Melony symbolize in Homer's life in Chapter 3?
6. What is symbolic about Dr. Larch's choices for the books read to the orphans in Chapter 3?
7. How does the setting of Heart's Haven and Heart's Rock compare to the orphanage in Chapter 4?
8. How is Homer's first meeting with Candy and Wally described in Chapter 5?
9. How is the atmosphere described in the beginning of Chapter 5? What is symbolic in this description?
10. In what ways does Dr. Larch record the history of St. Cloud's as described in Chapter 1?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)