|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Homer sends a note to Melony to tell her what when he goes to read for the girls in Chapter 3?
(a) Dr. Larch is not gay.
(b) He can't find her record.
(c) He wants to go for a walk.
(d) He enjoys the picture.
2. Where does Wally learn he can take his fiance for an abortion in Chapter 4?
(a) Anderson Hospital.
(b) St. Cloud's.
(c) Ocean's View Orchard.
(d) St. Jude's.
3. Melony picks up what while she and Homer are hanging out in one of the abandoned buildings by the river in Chapter 3?
(a) A rock.
(b) A snake.
(c) A frog.
(d) A stick.
4. What college did Wilbur Larch attend for his undergraduate degree?
(a) Bowdoin College.
(b) Exeter College.
(c) Cambridge University.
(d) Harvard Medical School.
5. What does Homer name the baby he delivers in Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. After the abortion, who comes into the recovery room to be with Candy in Chapter 5?
2. The nurses keep mentioning in the novel that the doctor is named after what?
3. What medical reference book does Dr. Larch give to Homer to study?
4. Dr. Larch is surprised to see that the woman in the pornographic photo is whom in Chapter 3?
5. In Chapter 3, Dr. Larch makes it Homer's responsibility to read to the orphans for how long each night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the characters of Homer and Wally relate in Chapter 4?
2. Who helps Wally and Candy arrive at the orphanage in Chapter 5? What impression do these characters have?
3. What does the character of Melony symbolize in Homer's life in Chapter 3?
4. In what ways is St. Cloud's symbolic? How does the author establish this in Chapter 1?
5. What is symbolic about Homer's naming of the baby in Chapter 4?
6. Why does Dr. Larch keep the women having abortions separate from the women giving birth in Chapter 3?
7. Discuss the symbolism and foreshadowing in Chapter 4. What is foreshadowed by Candy's pregnancy?
8. What is symbolic about Dr. Larch's choices for the books read to the orphans in Chapter 3?
9. In what ways does Dr. Larch record the history of St. Cloud's as described in Chapter 1?
10. How is Homer's first meeting with Candy and Wally described in Chapter 5?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)