|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what state is "The Cider House Rules" set?
2. Melony suggests to Homer that Dr. Larch is what in Chapter 3?
(b) In love with her.
(d) Abusing the orphans.
3. What did Wally's mother change her first and last name to after marrying?
(a) Candice Worthington.
(b) Martha Worthington.
(c) Janice Worthington.
(d) Olive Worthington.
4. What is the book that Dr. Larch chooses for Homer to read to the girls at the orphanage?
(a) Jane Eyre.
(b) David Copperfield.
(c) Grey's Anatomy.
(d) The Bible.
5. Dr. Larch is surprised to see that the woman in the pornographic photo is whom in Chapter 3?
(a) Nurse Edna.
(b) The prostitute's daughter.
(c) Nurse Angela.
(d) Nurse Caroline.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Wally asks some of the men working at his parents' orchard about abortion, one of the men tells him to talk to whom in Chapter 4?
2. In addition to being a drunk and unbeknownst to him and his family, Wally Worthing Senior has what disease?
3. Melony tells Homer in Chapter 3 that if Homer was born at the orphanage, then there is what?
4. When Homer is how old does Dr. Larch assign him to read to the girls at the orphanage?
5. The nurses keep mentioning in the novel that the doctor is named after what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the symbolism and foreshadowing in Chapter 4. What is foreshadowed by Candy's pregnancy?
2. How does the setting of Heart's Haven and Heart's Rock compare to the orphanage in Chapter 4?
3. What is symbolic about Homer's naming of the baby in Chapter 4?
4. What causes Homer's first two adoptive families to return him to the orphanage in Chapter 1?
5. Where does Dr. Larch decide to go when leaving Boston in Chapter 2? Who invites him to a party and why, in this chapter?
6. In what ways does Dr. Larch record the history of St. Cloud's as described in Chapter 1?
7. In what ways does the character of Dr. Larch symbolize God? How is this illustrated in Chapter 3?
8. Why does Dr. Larch ask Homer to perform an autopsy in Chapter 5? What does Homer find?
9. How do the characters of Homer and Wally relate in Chapter 4?
10. In what ways do the characters of Olive Worthington and Dr. Larch relate in Chapter 4?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)