|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Dr. Larch permits Homer to deliver babies, he doesn't allow Homer to do what in Chapter 4?
(a) Perform abortions.
(b) Draw blood.
(c) Brain surgery.
(d) Heart surgery.
2. What do Melony and Homer see flying in the air by the river in Chapter 3?
(a) A small plane.
(b) A crow.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A hawk.
3. Homer sends a note to Melony to tell her what when he goes to read for the girls in Chapter 3?
(a) Dr. Larch is not gay.
(b) He wants to go for a walk.
(c) He enjoys the picture.
(d) He can't find her record.
4. Dr. Larch tells Wally and Candy about Homer's what, in Chapter 5?
(a) Heart condition.
(b) Math skills.
(c) Anger problems.
5. Wilbur Larch was born in what era?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did John Irving win the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for his script "The Cider House Rules"?
2. What is the name of Wally's girlfriend in Chapter 4?
3. Wally's girlfriend in Chapter 4 is the daughter of the local what?
4. In Chapter 2, the author describes a place off what street that performs the illegal abortions without a medical doctor?
5. Two boys from the orphanage playing outside fall over the dead and frozen body of whom in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe Wilbur Larch's early life in Chapter 2? What led to Wilbur's sexually transmitted disease?
2. How have Homer's feelings about St. Cloud's changed in Chapter 6?
3. In what ways does the character of Dr. Larch symbolize God? How is this illustrated in Chapter 3?
4. What is Dr. Larch setting up for the character of Fuzzy Stone in Chapter 7?
5. What imagery does the author use in describing Homer's walks from the girls' division at the orphanage in Chapter 3? What is symbolic about this imagery?
6. What is the setting of the novel established in Chapter 1? During what time period does the novel begin?
7. How long has Homer been gone from the orphanage in Chapter 6? What is going on at the orphanage?
8. What takes place on Thanksgiving in Chapter 8? Where is the novel set in this chapter?
9. What does the character of Melony symbolize in Homer's life in Chapter 3?
10. What is foreshadowed by the bombing at Pearl Harbor in Chapter 8?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)