|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In addition to being a drunk and unbeknownst to him and his family, Wally Worthing Senior has what disease?
(c) Heart disease.
2. In Chapter 4, Homer and Melony are close to how old?
3. Dr. Larch asks Homer to perform an autopsy on what in Chapter 5?
(a) An old man.
(b) A teenage girl.
(c) A horse.
(d) A dead fetus.
4. When Wally asks some of the men working at his parents' orchard about abortion, one of the men tells him to talk to whom in Chapter 4?
(a) Grace Lynch.
(b) Olive Worthington.
(c) Debra Pettigrew.
(d) Mary Agnes.
5. Homer discovers the abortions that take place at the orphanage when he discovers what in a wastebasket?
(a) A scalpel.
(b) A medical bill.
(c) A fetus.
(d) A medical report.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the book that Dr. Larch chooses for Homer to read to the girls at the orphanage?
2. What was the name of John Irving's first novel?
3. Melony makes Homer promise that he will stay at the orphanage as long as what in Chapter 3?
4. What is Homer's last name in the novel?
5. Where did John Irving grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dr. Larch's reaction to Homer's leaving the orphanage in Chapter 5? What is foreshadowed?
2. Where does Wally invite Homer to go with him in Chapter 5?
3. What is symbolic about Dr. Larch's choices for the books read to the orphans in Chapter 3?
4. How is Homer's first meeting with Candy and Wally described in Chapter 5?
5. Why does Dr. Larch keep the women having abortions separate from the women giving birth in Chapter 3?
6. What does the exposition reveal about Dr. Larch's past in Chapter 1?
7. How is Melony described by the author in Chapter 3? What age is Melony?
8. Where does Dr. Larch decide to go when leaving Boston in Chapter 2? Who invites him to a party and why, in this chapter?
9. Why does the prostitute's daughter come to Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
10. How is Homer Wells described in Chapter 1? How is Homer viewed by Dr. Larch and the nurses?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)