|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Homer's last name in the novel?
2. When Wally sees Candy with the younger boy in her lap, he begs her to do what in Chapter 5?
(a) Marry him.
(b) Adopt the boy.
(c) Have the abortion immediately.
(d) Not have the abortion.
3. What is the birth name of Wally's mother in the novel?
(a) Becky Stewart.
(b) Alice Bean.
(c) Tiffany Rogers.
(d) Monica Williams.
4. In Chapter 4, Dr. Larch goes into Homer's history and writes it as if Homer has what to keep Homer from being drafted into the war?
(a) A heart problem.
(b) A mental disability.
(c) Bad vision.
(d) Bone spurs.
5. While Dr. Larch permits Homer to deliver babies, he doesn't allow Homer to do what in Chapter 4?
(a) Heart surgery.
(b) Draw blood.
(c) Brain surgery.
(d) Perform abortions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Melony leads Homer to a picture on the wall where a woman is putting her mouth on what in Chapter 3?
2. Melony suggests to Homer that Dr. Larch is addicted to what in Chapter 3?
3. Wilbur Larch's mother worked for whom?
4. Wally's girlfriend in Chapter 4 is the daughter of the local what?
5. Who is looking out the window when the car drives by leaving with Homer in the end of Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Wilbur's parents in Chapter 2? How is Wilbur's career shaped by his encounter with the prostitute?
2. What is foreshadowed about the life and career of Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
3. What is Dr. Larch's reaction to Homer's leaving the orphanage in Chapter 5? What is foreshadowed?
4. Discuss the symbolism and foreshadowing in Chapter 4. What is foreshadowed by Candy's pregnancy?
5. Why does Dr. Larch keep the women having abortions separate from the women giving birth in Chapter 3?
6. Who helps Wally and Candy arrive at the orphanage in Chapter 5? What impression do these characters have?
7. In what ways is St. Cloud's symbolic? How does the author establish this in Chapter 1?
8. How does the book Jane Eyre relate to the main characters in Chapter 4? What heroic act does Homer do in this chapter?
9. In what ways do the characters of Olive Worthington and Dr. Larch relate in Chapter 4?
10. How is Homer Wells described in Chapter 1? How is Homer viewed by Dr. Larch and the nurses?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)