|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of car does Wally's father own in the novel?
2. The autopsy reveals that the prostitute to whom Dr. Larch lost his virginity to died of what in Chapter 2?
(d) A heart attack.
3. The older of the two orphans think the couple is there to do what when Candy and Wally arrive in Chapter 5?
(a) Have an abortion.
(b) Adopt a child.
(c) Make a donation.
(d) Deliver a baby.
4. What is the name of the daughter that a high-society woman wants Dr. Larch to perform an abortion on in Chapter 2?
5. What college did Wilbur Larch attend for his undergraduate degree?
(a) Harvard Medical School.
(b) Bowdoin College.
(c) Exeter College.
(d) Cambridge University.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Larch asks Homer to perform an autopsy on what in Chapter 5?
2. In Chapter 4, a pregnant woman comes to St. Cloud's and collapses in the dispensary from what?
3. As a graduation gift from high school, Wilbur's father bought him what?
4. In Chapter 3, the first book Homer reads to the boys is what?
5. In Chapter 2, the author describes a place off what street that performs the illegal abortions without a medical doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Dr. Larch record the history of St. Cloud's as described in Chapter 1?
2. What is symbolic about Homer's naming of the baby in Chapter 4?
3. How does the author describe Wilbur Larch's early life in Chapter 2? What led to Wilbur's sexually transmitted disease?
4. What causes Homer's first two adoptive families to return him to the orphanage in Chapter 1?
5. What is foreshadowed about the life and career of Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
6. What is Dr. Larch's reaction to Homer's leaving the orphanage in Chapter 5? What is foreshadowed?
7. Where does Wally invite Homer to go with him in Chapter 5?
8. How is Homer Wells described in Chapter 1? How is Homer viewed by Dr. Larch and the nurses?
9. What is the setting of the novel established in Chapter 1? During what time period does the novel begin?
10. In what ways does the character of Dr. Larch symbolize God? How is this illustrated in Chapter 3?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)