|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Wally's mother change her first and last name to after marrying?
(a) Candice Worthington.
(b) Martha Worthington.
(c) Janice Worthington.
(d) Olive Worthington.
2. When was John Irving born?
3. In Chapter 4, Homer and Melony are close to how old?
4. What is the name of the daughter that a high-society woman wants Dr. Larch to perform an abortion on in Chapter 2?
5. When Homer is how old does Dr. Larch assign him to read to the girls at the orphanage?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is looking out the window when the car drives by leaving with Homer in the end of Chapter 5?
2. When Homer reaches what age do the doctor and nurses fear he will learn about the abortions in Chapter 2?
3. Who is the founder and doctor of the hospital who runs the orphanage in the novel?
4. As a graduation gift from high school, Wilbur's father bought him what?
5. What is the name of the apple orchard that Wally Worthington Senior owns?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the atmosphere described in the beginning of Chapter 5? What is symbolic in this description?
2. What is foreshadowed about the life and career of Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
3. Where does Wally invite Homer to go with him in Chapter 5?
4. Why does Dr. Larch keep the women having abortions separate from the women giving birth in Chapter 3?
5. Why does the prostitute's daughter come to Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
6. What is the setting of the novel established in Chapter 1? During what time period does the novel begin?
7. Discuss the symbolism and foreshadowing in Chapter 4. What is foreshadowed by Candy's pregnancy?
8. How is Homer Wells described in Chapter 1? How is Homer viewed by Dr. Larch and the nurses?
9. In what ways does Dr. Larch record the history of St. Cloud's as described in Chapter 1?
10. How is Melony described by the author in Chapter 3? What age is Melony?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)