|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many of John Irving's novels have been adapted to film?
2. In Chapter 5, Melony watches as a few women walk from the first train of the morning up to St. Cloud's and observes that the women that come on the morning train and leave on the afternoon train are different how?
(a) They are quieter.
(b) They are more cheerful.
(c) They walk differently.
(d) Their eyes look different.
3. In Chapter 4, Homer and Melony are close to how old?
4. When Homer is how old does Dr. Larch assign him to read to the girls at the orphanage?
5. The older of the two orphans think the couple is there to do what when Candy and Wally arrive in Chapter 5?
(a) Deliver a baby.
(b) Make a donation.
(c) Adopt a child.
(d) Have an abortion.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was "The World According to Garp" published?
2. Wilbur Larch's father is described as having been what?
3. In Chapter 4, a pregnant woman comes to St. Cloud's and collapses in the dispensary from what?
4. In Chapter 3, the first book Homer reads to the boys is what?
5. When did John Irving win the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for his script "The Cider House Rules"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the characters of Homer and Wally relate in Chapter 4?
2. Where does Dr. Larch decide to go when leaving Boston in Chapter 2? Who invites him to a party and why, in this chapter?
3. Why does Dr. Larch keep the women having abortions separate from the women giving birth in Chapter 3?
4. How is Homer Wells described in Chapter 1? How is Homer viewed by Dr. Larch and the nurses?
5. What is symbolic about Dr. Larch's choices for the books read to the orphans in Chapter 3?
6. How does the author describe Wilbur Larch's early life in Chapter 2? What led to Wilbur's sexually transmitted disease?
7. In what ways is St. Cloud's symbolic? How does the author establish this in Chapter 1?
8. In what ways does Dr. Larch record the history of St. Cloud's as described in Chapter 1?
9. Why does the prostitute's daughter come to Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
10. What causes Homer's first two adoptive families to return him to the orphanage in Chapter 1?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)