|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Wally's girlfriend in Chapter 4?
2. Homer's first foster family returns him to the orphanage because of what reason?
(a) He is violent.
(b) He swears.
(c) He is silent.
(d) He never cries.
3. In Chapter 4, a pregnant woman comes to St. Cloud's and collapses in the dispensary from what?
(c) Heart attack.
4. Wally keeps talking about what that the orphanage should plant on the hill in Chapter 5?
(a) Cherry trees.
(b) Apple trees.
5. When Homer turns to Gray's Anatomy for additional information on the fetus in Chapter 5, the fetus information is where in the book?
(a) The middle.
(b) The intro.
(c) The glossary.
(d) The end.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was John Irving born?
2. Dr. Larch tells Wally and Candy about Homer's what, in Chapter 5?
3. Where did John Irving grow up?
4. Melony picks up what while she and Homer are hanging out in one of the abandoned buildings by the river in Chapter 3?
5. When Homer sneaks into the baby room in Chapter 3, he finds one of the expectant mothers standing there who asks him to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Larch keep the women having abortions separate from the women giving birth in Chapter 3?
2. What is foreshadowed about the life and career of Dr. Larch in Chapter 2?
3. What imagery does the author use in describing Homer's walks from the girls' division at the orphanage in Chapter 3? What is symbolic about this imagery?
4. How is Homer's first meeting with Candy and Wally described in Chapter 5?
5. Who helps Wally and Candy arrive at the orphanage in Chapter 5? What impression do these characters have?
6. What is ironic about Wilbur's parents in Chapter 2? How is Wilbur's career shaped by his encounter with the prostitute?
7. Discuss the symbolism and foreshadowing in Chapter 4. What is foreshadowed by Candy's pregnancy?
8. What does the character of Melony symbolize in Homer's life in Chapter 3?
9. Where does Dr. Larch decide to go when leaving Boston in Chapter 2? Who invites him to a party and why, in this chapter?
10. How do the characters of Homer and Wally relate in Chapter 4?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)