|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Wally's girlfriend in Chapter 4 is the daughter of the local what?
(a) Capenter and drunk.
(b) Sheriff and city councilman.
(c) Banker and investor.
(d) Lobsterman and mechanic.
2. Which nurse is in love with the doctor at the orphanage?
(a) Nurse Beth.
(b) Nurse Angela.
(c) Nurse Melissa.
(d) Nurse Edna.
3. Homer packs his bag and says goodbye to the two nurses while Dr. Larch starts the autopsy on whom in Chapter 5?
(a) Mr. Rose.
(b) Debra Pettigrew.
(c) The stationmaster.
(d) Mrs. Channing-Peabody.
4. How does Homer feel about Candy when he first meets her in Chapter 5?
(a) He finds her unattractive.
(b) He thinks she is arrogant.
(c) He falls in love with her.
(d) He thinks she is misinformed.
5. In what historical era does the story begin?
Short Answer Questions
1. Homer's first foster family returns him to the orphanage because of what reason?
2. Where does Wally learn he can take his fiance for an abortion in Chapter 4?
3. Who is one of the nurses who works in the boys' division of the hospital orphanage and who tries to never repeat names when naming the babies?
4. Homer performs the autopsy and tells the doctor the cadaver died of what in Chapter 5?
5. How many of John Irving's novels have been adapted to film?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Rose tell Homer about the differences in rules in Chapter 10?
2. What is Dr. Larch's reaction to Homer's leaving the orphanage in Chapter 5? What is foreshadowed?
3. How does the setting of Heart's Haven and Heart's Rock compare to the orphanage in Chapter 4?
4. How is Homer's first meeting with Candy and Wally described in Chapter 5?
5. Why does Dr. Larch keep the women having abortions separate from the women giving birth in Chapter 3?
6. What can Homer see has changed at St. Cloud's in Chapter 9?
7. How long has Homer been gone from the orphanage in Chapter 6? What is going on at the orphanage?
8. What is the setting of the novel established in Chapter 1? During what time period does the novel begin?
9. Why did Dr. Larch overdose in Chapter 11?
10. What does Homer reveal to Angel in Chapter 11? Where does Homer go at the end of "The Cider House Rules"?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)