|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The town in which the orphanage is set is described as what?
(a) A bustling manufacturing city.
(b) A slow-paced retirement community.
(c) An abandoned logging town.
(d) A prosperous fishing village.
2. In Chapter 4, Dr. Larch goes into Homer's history and writes it as if Homer has what to keep Homer from being drafted into the war?
(a) A mental disability.
(b) Bone spurs.
(c) Bad vision.
(d) A heart problem.
3. In Chapter 2, Dr. Larch returns to the hospital with a girl how old who is pregnant by her father?
4. In what historical era does the story begin?
5. How many of John Irving's novels have been adapted to film?
6. Who is looking out the window when the car drives by leaving with Homer in the end of Chapter 5?
(b) Nurse Caroline.
(c) Nurse Edna.
7. Melony makes Homer promise that he will stay at the orphanage as long as what in Chapter 3?
(a) She is there.
(b) Dr. Larch is in charge.
(c) He is alive.
(d) She is alive.
8. After the abortion, who comes into the recovery room to be with Candy in Chapter 5?
9. What does Homer name the baby he delivers in Chapter 4?
10. Wally keeps talking about what that the orphanage should plant on the hill in Chapter 5?
(b) Cherry trees.
(c) Apple trees.
11. What is the name of the apple orchard that Wally Worthington Senior owns?
(a) Seaside Haven Orchard.
(b) Ocean's View Orchard.
(c) Rocky Coast Orchard.
(d) Atlantic Bounty Orchard.
12. In addition to being a drunk and unbeknownst to him and his family, Wally Worthing Senior has what disease?
(c) Heart disease.
13. The older of the two orphans think the couple is there to do what when Candy and Wally arrive in Chapter 5?
(a) Adopt a child.
(b) Deliver a baby.
(c) Have an abortion.
(d) Make a donation.
14. Where did Wilbur Larch attend medical school?
(a) Cambridge University.
(b) Harvard Medical School.
(c) Exeter College.
(d) Bowdoin College.
15. When Wally asks some of the men working at his parents' orchard about abortion, one of the men tells him to talk to whom in Chapter 4?
(a) Olive Worthington.
(b) Debra Pettigrew.
(c) Mary Agnes.
(d) Grace Lynch.
Short Answer Questions
1. Homer discovers the abortions that take place at the orphanage when he discovers what in a wastebasket?
2. When did John Irving win the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for his script "The Cider House Rules"?
3. What woman from a high-society family in Boston invites Dr. Larch to a croquet party in Chapter 2?
4. What did Wally's mother change her first and last name to after marrying?
5. What is the name of Wally's girlfriend's father?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)