|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Wally sees Candy with the younger boy in her lap, he begs her to do what in Chapter 5?
(a) Marry him.
(b) Have the abortion immediately.
(c) Not have the abortion.
(d) Adopt the boy.
2. What do Melony and Homer see flying in the air by the river in Chapter 3?
(a) A crow.
(b) A hawk.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A small plane.
3. The third family that adopts Homer does so when he is how old?
4. When did John Irving win the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for his script "The Cider House Rules"?
5. What is Homer's last name in the novel?
6. In Chapter 4, a pregnant woman comes to St. Cloud's and collapses in the dispensary from what?
(c) Heart attack.
7. How many of John Irving's novels have been adapted to film?
8. Who is the founder and doctor of the hospital who runs the orphanage in the novel?
(a) Dr. Wally Richmond.
(b) Dr. Wilbur Larch.
(c) Dr. Ray Kendall.
(d) Dr. Homer Wells.
9. Melony suggests to Homer that Dr. Larch is addicted to what in Chapter 3?
10. When was John Irving born?
11. Melony picks up what while she and Homer are hanging out in one of the abandoned buildings by the river in Chapter 3?
(a) A snake.
(b) A rock.
(c) A frog.
(d) A stick.
12. How does Homer feel about Candy when he first meets her in Chapter 5?
(a) He thinks she is misinformed.
(b) He thinks she is arrogant.
(c) He falls in love with her.
(d) He finds her unattractive.
13. When Homer sneaks into the baby room in Chapter 3, he finds one of the expectant mothers standing there who asks him to do what?
(a) Make her some tea.
(b) Call the nurses.
(c) Sleep with his hand and ear on her belly.
(d) Help her leave the building.
14. As a graduation gift from high school, Wilbur's father bought him what?
(a) A night with a prostitute.
(b) A new car.
(c) A plane ticket.
(d) A watch.
15. When Homer says goodbye to Dr. Larch, they tell each other what for the first time in Chapter 5?
(a) Hopes for the future.
(b) Religious viewpoints.
(c) They love each other.
(d) Stories from childhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is one of the nurses who works in the boys' division of the hospital orphanage and who tries to never repeat names when naming the babies?
2. What is the name of the apple orchard that Wally Worthington Senior owns?
3. Dr. Larch is surprised to see that the woman in the pornographic photo is whom in Chapter 3?
4. Where did John Irving grow up?
5. Homer discovers the abortions that take place at the orphanage when he discovers what in a wastebasket?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)