|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of John Irving's first novel?
(a) The Water-Method Man.
(b) The World According to Garp.
(c) The 158-Pound Marriage.
(d) Setting Free the Bears.
2. In Chapter 3, Dr. Larch makes it Homer's responsibility to read to the orphans for how long each night?
(a) 10 minutes.
(b) 1 hour.
(c) 45 minutes.
(d) 20 minutes.
3. After the prostitute dies, her daughter comes to see Dr. Larch and hands him a brown bottle that contains a solution promising to do what in Chapter 2?
(a) Cure cancer.
(b) Induce sleep.
(c) Cause miscarriages.
(d) Relieve headaches.
4. What is the name of Wally's girlfriend's father?
(a) Clarence Kendall.
(b) John Kendall.
(c) Abraham Kendall.
(d) Ray Kendall.
5. Where does Wally learn he can take his fiance for an abortion in Chapter 4?
(a) Ocean's View Orchard.
(b) Anderson Hospital.
(c) St. Jude's.
(d) St. Cloud's.
6. After the abortion, who comes into the recovery room to be with Candy in Chapter 5?
7. In Chapter 4, a pregnant woman comes to St. Cloud's and collapses in the dispensary from what?
(a) Heart attack.
8. Two boys from the orphanage playing outside fall over the dead and frozen body of whom in Chapter 5?
(a) Nurse Caroline.
(b) The stationmaster.
(c) Dr. Wilbur Larch.
(d) David Copperfield.
9. Melony makes Homer promise that he will stay at the orphanage as long as what in Chapter 3?
(a) She is alive.
(b) She is there.
(c) He is alive.
(d) Dr. Larch is in charge.
10. In Chapter 5, the wind is picking up in St. Cloud's and awakens the stationmaster, who thinks it is what?
(b) Christmas Day..
(c) New Year's Day.
(d) Judgment Day.
11. What do the nurses at the orphanage refer to the doctor as?
(a) A dictator.
(b) A saint.
(c) A martyr.
(d) A lecher.
12. When Wally sees Candy with the younger boy in her lap, he begs her to do what in Chapter 5?
(a) Marry him.
(b) Adopt the boy.
(c) Not have the abortion.
(d) Have the abortion immediately.
13. By what age is Homer learning to be a doctor, seen a live birth, learned how to perform abortions, and having routine sex with Melony in Chapter 3?
14. When Homer reaches what age do the doctor and nurses fear he will learn about the abortions in Chapter 2?
15. The autopsy reveals that the prostitute to whom Dr. Larch lost his virginity to died of what in Chapter 2?
(b) A heart attack.
Short Answer Questions
1. The third family that adopts Homer does so when he is how old?
2. What college did Wilbur Larch attend for his undergraduate degree?
3. Homer packs his bag and says goodbye to the two nurses while Dr. Larch starts the autopsy on whom in Chapter 5?
4. The town in which the orphanage is set is described as what?
5. What is the name of the daughter that a high-society woman wants Dr. Larch to perform an abortion on in Chapter 2?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)