|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Homer reaches what age do the doctor and nurses fear he will learn about the abortions in Chapter 2?
2. Melony tells Homer that she will do to him what the woman is doing in the picture if he will do what in Chapter 3?
(a) Stay at the orphanage forever.
(b) Run away with her.
(c) Get her file from the orphanage office.
(d) Get her some ether.
3. In Chapter 4, a pregnant woman comes to St. Cloud's and collapses in the dispensary from what?
(c) Heart attack.
4. By what age is Homer learning to be a doctor, seen a live birth, learned how to perform abortions, and having routine sex with Melony in Chapter 3?
5. Unknown to Dr. Larch, Melony, and Homer, who lay dead in the woods in Chapter 5?
(a) Olive Worthington.
(b) Nurse Angela.
(c) The stationmaster.
(d) Nurse Edna.
6. Homer performs the autopsy and tells the doctor the cadaver died of what in Chapter 5?
(a) Heart attack.
(c) Head trauma.
(d) A severed artery.
7. What was the name of John Irving's first novel?
(a) The World According to Garp.
(b) The 158-Pound Marriage.
(c) Setting Free the Bears.
(d) The Water-Method Man.
8. The nurses keep mentioning in the novel that the doctor is named after what?
(a) A tree.
(b) A bird of prey.
(c) A fish.
(d) A type of rock.
9. Homer tells Dr. Larch about the trip to the apple orchard, saying he'll be gone how long in Chapter 5?
(a) A few days.
(b) One month.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Ten days.
10. Where does Wally learn he can take his fiance for an abortion in Chapter 4?
(a) Ocean's View Orchard.
(b) St. Cloud's.
(c) Anderson Hospital.
(d) St. Jude's.
11. In addition to being a drunk and unbeknownst to him and his family, Wally Worthing Senior has what disease?
(c) Heart disease.
12. When Dr. Larch catches Homer searching his office, Dr. Larch tells Homer what in Chapter 3?
(a) He is no longer his assistant.
(b) Get out.
(c) He doesn't keep records of the biological mothers.
(d) He is not allowed to view the mother's files.
13. What is the book that Dr. Larch chooses for Homer to read to the girls at the orphanage?
(a) David Copperfield.
(b) Grey's Anatomy.
(c) The Bible.
(d) Jane Eyre.
14. In Chapter 3, the first book Homer reads to the boys is what?
(a) Jane Eyre.
(b) The Bible.
(c) Grey's Anatomy.
(d) David Copperfield.
15. What is the name of Wally's girlfriend in Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. Homer packs his bag and says goodbye to the two nurses while Dr. Larch starts the autopsy on whom in Chapter 5?
2. In what historical era does the story begin?
3. What college did Wilbur Larch attend for his undergraduate degree?
4. Melony suggests to Homer that Dr. Larch is what in Chapter 3?
5. Wally's girlfriend in Chapter 4 is the daughter of the local what?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)