|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Homer name the baby he delivers in Chapter 4?
2. When Homer says goodbye to Dr. Larch, they tell each other what for the first time in Chapter 5?
(a) Religious viewpoints.
(b) Hopes for the future.
(c) They love each other.
(d) Stories from childhood.
3. What was the name of John Irving's first novel?
(a) The World According to Garp.
(b) Setting Free the Bears.
(c) The 158-Pound Marriage.
(d) The Water-Method Man.
4. Wilbur Larch's mother worked for whom?
(a) A local politician.
(b) The President.
(c) The police captain.
(d) An Army General.
5. In Chapter 3, the first book Homer reads to the boys is what?
(a) David Copperfield.
(b) The Bible.
(c) Grey's Anatomy.
(d) Jane Eyre.
6. What orphan from the orphanage had respiratory problems causing him/her to sleep in a special tent to help with breathing?
(a) Fuzzy Stone.
(c) Wally Worthington.
7. Wilbur Larch was born in what era?
8. In what state is "The Cider House Rules" set?
9. What is Homer's last name in the novel?
10. Homer performs the autopsy and tells the doctor the cadaver died of what in Chapter 5?
(b) A severed artery.
(c) Heart attack.
(d) Head trauma.
11. Wilbur Larch's father is described as having been what?
(a) A banker.
(b) A preacher.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A drunk.
12. Which nurse is in love with the doctor at the orphanage?
(a) Nurse Melissa.
(b) Nurse Angela.
(c) Nurse Edna.
(d) Nurse Beth.
13. In Chapter 5, Melony watches as a few women walk from the first train of the morning up to St. Cloud's and observes that the women that come on the morning train and leave on the afternoon train are different how?
(a) They are quieter.
(b) They walk differently.
(c) Their eyes look different.
(d) They are more cheerful.
14. The third family that adopts Homer does so when he is how old?
15. Dr. Larch is surprised to see that the woman in the pornographic photo is whom in Chapter 3?
(a) Nurse Caroline.
(b) The prostitute's daughter.
(c) Nurse Angela.
(d) Nurse Edna.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Homer feel about Candy when he first meets her in Chapter 5?
2. In what historical era does the story begin?
3. Melony makes Homer promise that he will stay at the orphanage as long as what in Chapter 3?
4. What is the name of Wally's girlfriend's father?
5. What do the nurses at the orphanage refer to the doctor as?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)