|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the nurses at the orphanage refer to the doctor as?
(a) A dictator.
(b) A martyr.
(c) A saint.
(d) A lecher.
2. In Chapter 2, the author describes a place off what street that performs the illegal abortions without a medical doctor?
(a) Harrison Street.
(b) Adams Way.
(c) Washington Boulevard.
(d) Lincoln Street.
3. What was the name of John Irving's first novel?
(a) Setting Free the Bears.
(b) The World According to Garp.
(c) The 158-Pound Marriage.
(d) The Water-Method Man.
4. Homer's first foster family returns him to the orphanage because of what reason?
(a) He swears.
(b) He is silent.
(c) He never cries.
(d) He is violent.
5. By what age is Homer learning to be a doctor, seen a live birth, learned how to perform abortions, and having routine sex with Melony in Chapter 3?
6. Dr. Larch applies for an obstetrics position in his home town of what in Chapter 2?
(a) Boston, Massachusetts.
(b) Miami, Florida.
(c) Chicago, Illinois.
(d) Portland, Maine.
7. Wilbur Larch was born in what era?
8. What is Homer's last name in the novel?
9. In what state is "The Cider House Rules" set?
10. Where does Wally learn he can take his fiance for an abortion in Chapter 4?
(a) Anderson Hospital.
(b) Ocean's View Orchard.
(c) St. Cloud's.
(d) St. Jude's.
11. What did Wally's mother change her first and last name to after marrying?
(a) Martha Worthington.
(b) Candice Worthington.
(c) Olive Worthington.
(d) Janice Worthington.
12. What is the name of Wally's girlfriend in Chapter 4?
13. In Chapter 5, Melony watches as a few women walk from the first train of the morning up to St. Cloud's and observes that the women that come on the morning train and leave on the afternoon train are different how?
(a) Their eyes look different.
(b) They are quieter.
(c) They walk differently.
(d) They are more cheerful.
14. Homer discovers the abortions that take place at the orphanage when he discovers what in a wastebasket?
(a) A fetus.
(b) A scalpel.
(c) A medical report.
(d) A medical bill.
15. How many of John Irving's novels have been adapted to film?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was John Irving born?
2. When Wally sees Candy with the younger boy in her lap, he begs her to do what in Chapter 5?
3. In addition to being a drunk and unbeknownst to him and his family, Wally Worthing Senior has what disease?
4. Who is one of the nurses who works in the boys' division of the hospital orphanage and who tries to never repeat names when naming the babies?
5. In what historical era does the story begin?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)