|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After graduating from medical school, Dr. Larch delivers babies where?
(c) New York.
2. In what state is "The Cider House Rules" set?
3. Melony tells Homer in Chapter 3 that if Homer was born at the orphanage, then there is what?
(a) Photographs of his parents.
(b) A record of who his real mother is.
(c) Birth certificate on file.
(d) A movie of his birth.
4. What is Homer's last name in the novel?
5. Melony suggests to Homer that Dr. Larch is what in Chapter 3?
(c) Abusing the orphans.
(d) In love with her.
6. In Chapter 3, Dr. Larch makes it Homer's responsibility to read to the orphans for how long each night?
(a) 1 hour.
(b) 45 minutes.
(c) 10 minutes.
(d) 20 minutes.
7. Homer's first foster family returns him to the orphanage because of what reason?
(a) He swears.
(b) He never cries.
(c) He is silent.
(d) He is violent.
8. Homer keeps the photograph shown to him by Melony hidden where in Chapter 3?
(a) Behind a mirror.
(b) Behind a bookshelf.
(c) In a desk.
(d) Under his mattress.
9. While Dr. Larch permits Homer to deliver babies, he doesn't allow Homer to do what in Chapter 4?
(a) Brain surgery.
(b) Perform abortions.
(c) Draw blood.
(d) Heart surgery.
10. The older of the two orphans think the couple is there to do what when Candy and Wally arrive in Chapter 5?
(a) Have an abortion.
(b) Deliver a baby.
(c) Make a donation.
(d) Adopt a child.
11. In what historical era does the story begin?
12. What is the name of the apple orchard that Wally Worthington Senior owns?
(a) Ocean's View Orchard.
(b) Seaside Haven Orchard.
(c) Atlantic Bounty Orchard.
(d) Rocky Coast Orchard.
13. When Wally asks some of the men working at his parents' orchard about abortion, one of the men tells him to talk to whom in Chapter 4?
(a) Debra Pettigrew.
(b) Grace Lynch.
(c) Olive Worthington.
(d) Mary Agnes.
14. The third family that adopts Homer does so when he is how old?
15. In Chapter 4, Dr. Larch goes into Homer's history and writes it as if Homer has what to keep Homer from being drafted into the war?
(a) A heart problem.
(b) Bone spurs.
(c) Bad vision.
(d) A mental disability.
Short Answer Questions
1. Melony suggests to Homer that Dr. Larch is addicted to what in Chapter 3?
2. In addition to being a drunk and unbeknownst to him and his family, Wally Worthing Senior has what disease?
3. What woman from a high-society family in Boston invites Dr. Larch to a croquet party in Chapter 2?
4. In Chapter 5, Melony watches as a few women walk from the first train of the morning up to St. Cloud's and observes that the women that come on the morning train and leave on the afternoon train are different how?
5. In Chapter 2, the author describes a place off what street that performs the illegal abortions without a medical doctor?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)