|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Homer turns to Gray's Anatomy for additional information on the fetus in Chapter 5, the fetus information is where in the book?
(a) The middle.
(b) The intro.
(c) The end.
(d) The glossary.
2. In Chapter 2, the author describes a place off what street that performs the illegal abortions without a medical doctor?
(a) Harrison Street.
(b) Washington Boulevard.
(c) Lincoln Street.
(d) Adams Way.
3. In addition to being a drunk and unbeknownst to him and his family, Wally Worthing Senior has what disease?
(a) Heart disease.
4. What is the name of the apple orchard that Wally Worthington Senior owns?
(a) Seaside Haven Orchard.
(b) Ocean's View Orchard.
(c) Rocky Coast Orchard.
(d) Atlantic Bounty Orchard.
5. When did John Irving win the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for his script "The Cider House Rules"?
6. When Dr. Larch catches Homer searching his office, Dr. Larch tells Homer what in Chapter 3?
(a) He is no longer his assistant.
(b) Get out.
(c) He is not allowed to view the mother's files.
(d) He doesn't keep records of the biological mothers.
7. What is the name of the city where the orphanage is in "The Cider House Rules"?
(b) St. Cloud's.
(d) Grey Rock.
8. As a graduation gift from high school, Wilbur's father bought him what?
(a) A new car.
(b) A night with a prostitute.
(c) A watch.
(d) A plane ticket.
9. Dr. Larch applies for an obstetrics position in his home town of what in Chapter 2?
(a) Boston, Massachusetts.
(b) Miami, Florida.
(c) Chicago, Illinois.
(d) Portland, Maine.
10. Who is looking out the window when the car drives by leaving with Homer in the end of Chapter 5?
(a) Nurse Edna.
(c) Nurse Caroline.
11. Melony leads Homer to a picture on the wall where a woman is putting her mouth on what in Chapter 3?
(a) A pony's genitals.
(b) A glass of beer.
(c) A sandwich.
(d) A man's chest.
12. The town in which the orphanage is set is described as what?
(a) A bustling manufacturing city.
(b) An abandoned logging town.
(c) A prosperous fishing village.
(d) A slow-paced retirement community.
13. In what historical era does the story begin?
14. Homer's first foster family returns him to the orphanage because of what reason?
(a) He is violent.
(b) He swears.
(c) He is silent.
(d) He never cries.
15. The nurses keep mentioning in the novel that the doctor is named after what?
(a) A bird of prey.
(b) A type of rock.
(c) A fish.
(d) A tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was John Irving born?
2. What woman from a high-society family in Boston invites Dr. Larch to a croquet party in Chapter 2?
3. Melony makes Homer promise that he will stay at the orphanage as long as what in Chapter 3?
4. In Chapter 5, Melony watches as a few women walk from the first train of the morning up to St. Cloud's and observes that the women that come on the morning train and leave on the afternoon train are different how?
5. In Chapter 4, Homer and Melony are close to how old?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)