|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Dr. Larch permits Homer to deliver babies, he doesn't allow Homer to do what in Chapter 4?
(a) Heart surgery.
(b) Brain surgery.
(c) Draw blood.
(d) Perform abortions.
2. Wilbur Larch's father is described as having been what?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A preacher.
(c) A drunk.
(d) A banker.
3. What is the name of Wally's girlfriend's father?
(a) Abraham Kendall.
(b) Clarence Kendall.
(c) Ray Kendall.
(d) John Kendall.
4. Wilbur Larch's mother worked for whom?
(a) An Army General.
(b) A local politician.
(c) The police captain.
(d) The President.
5. In Chapter 4, Dr. Larch goes into Homer's history and writes it as if Homer has what to keep Homer from being drafted into the war?
(a) Bone spurs.
(b) Bad vision.
(c) A mental disability.
(d) A heart problem.
6. After the abortion, who comes into the recovery room to be with Candy in Chapter 5?
7. What was the name of John Irving's first novel?
(a) The Water-Method Man.
(b) Setting Free the Bears.
(c) The World According to Garp.
(d) The 158-Pound Marriage.
8. Homer tells Dr. Larch about the trip to the apple orchard, saying he'll be gone how long in Chapter 5?
(a) A few days.
(b) One month.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Ten days.
9. When one of the orphans dies, Dr. Larch writes a history about the child being what?
(a) A runaway.
(d) A carrier of a rare illness.
10. In addition to being a drunk and unbeknownst to him and his family, Wally Worthing Senior has what disease?
(c) Heart disease.
11. Homer performs the autopsy and tells the doctor the cadaver died of what in Chapter 5?
(a) Head trauma.
(c) Heart attack.
(d) A severed artery.
12. In Chapter 3, Dr. Larch makes it Homer's responsibility to read to the orphans for how long each night?
(a) 20 minutes.
(b) 10 minutes.
(c) 45 minutes.
(d) 1 hour.
13. What is the name of the apple orchard that Wally Worthington Senior owns?
(a) Atlantic Bounty Orchard.
(b) Seaside Haven Orchard.
(c) Rocky Coast Orchard.
(d) Ocean's View Orchard.
14. Dr. Larch tries to get Candy alone to explain the procedure to her, and Homer escorts Wally outside in time to do what in Chapter 5?
(a) Start yelling.
(b) Throw up.
(c) Start crying.
(d) Smoke a cigarette.
15. What do the nurses at the orphanage refer to the doctor as?
(a) A saint.
(b) A dictator.
(c) A lecher.
(d) A martyr.
Short Answer Questions
1. Melony tells Homer in Chapter 3 that if Homer was born at the orphanage, then there is what?
2. Who is one of the nurses who works in the boys' division of the hospital orphanage and who tries to never repeat names when naming the babies?
3. When Homer says goodbye to Dr. Larch, they tell each other what for the first time in Chapter 5?
4. What is the birth name of Wally's mother in the novel?
5. Melony leads Homer to a picture on the wall where a woman is putting her mouth on what in Chapter 3?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)