|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Two boys from the orphanage playing outside fall over the dead and frozen body of whom in Chapter 5?
(a) Nurse Caroline.
(b) The stationmaster.
(c) Dr. Wilbur Larch.
(d) David Copperfield.
2. In Chapter 5, Melony watches as a few women walk from the first train of the morning up to St. Cloud's and observes that the women that come on the morning train and leave on the afternoon train are different how?
(a) They are quieter.
(b) Their eyes look different.
(c) They are more cheerful.
(d) They walk differently.
3. Homer performs the autopsy and tells the doctor the cadaver died of what in Chapter 5?
(a) A severed artery.
(b) Heart attack.
(d) Head trauma.
4. What does Homer name the baby he delivers in Chapter 4?
5. Melony tells Homer that she will do to him what the woman is doing in the picture if he will do what in Chapter 3?
(a) Get her some ether.
(b) Stay at the orphanage forever.
(c) Run away with her.
(d) Get her file from the orphanage office.
6. When Homer says goodbye to Dr. Larch, they tell each other what for the first time in Chapter 5?
(a) They love each other.
(b) Stories from childhood.
(c) Religious viewpoints.
(d) Hopes for the future.
7. After the prostitute dies, her daughter comes to see Dr. Larch and hands him a brown bottle that contains a solution promising to do what in Chapter 2?
(a) Relieve headaches.
(b) Induce sleep.
(c) Cure cancer.
(d) Cause miscarriages.
8. Unknown to Dr. Larch, Melony, and Homer, who lay dead in the woods in Chapter 5?
(a) Nurse Angela.
(b) Olive Worthington.
(c) The stationmaster.
(d) Nurse Edna.
9. In Chapter 4, a pregnant woman comes to St. Cloud's and collapses in the dispensary from what?
(a) Heart attack.
10. When Wally sees Candy with the younger boy in her lap, he begs her to do what in Chapter 5?
(a) Not have the abortion.
(b) Adopt the boy.
(c) Marry him.
(d) Have the abortion immediately.
11. When Homer is how old does Dr. Larch assign him to read to the girls at the orphanage?
12. When Homer reaches what age do the doctor and nurses fear he will learn about the abortions in Chapter 2?
13. Homer tells Dr. Larch about the trip to the apple orchard, saying he'll be gone how long in Chapter 5?
(a) A few days.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One month.
14. The autopsy reveals that the prostitute to whom Dr. Larch lost his virginity to died of what in Chapter 2?
(b) A heart attack.
15. In what historical era does the story begin?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, Dr. Larch goes into Homer's history and writes it as if Homer has what to keep Homer from being drafted into the war?
2. How many of John Irving's novels have been adapted to film?
3. Dr. Larch tries to get Candy alone to explain the procedure to her, and Homer escorts Wally outside in time to do what in Chapter 5?
4. When Dr. Larch catches Homer searching his office, Dr. Larch tells Homer what in Chapter 3?
5. The nurses keep mentioning in the novel that the doctor is named after what?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)