|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 4, Homer and Melony are close to how old?
2. What do the nurses at the orphanage refer to the doctor as?
(a) A dictator.
(b) A martyr.
(c) A saint.
(d) A lecher.
3. The nurses keep mentioning in the novel that the doctor is named after what?
(a) A fish.
(b) A type of rock.
(c) A bird of prey.
(d) A tree.
4. What orphan from the orphanage had respiratory problems causing him/her to sleep in a special tent to help with breathing?
(b) Wally Worthington.
(c) Fuzzy Stone.
5. After graduating from medical school, Dr. Larch delivers babies where?
(c) New York.
6. Melony suggests to Homer that Dr. Larch is what in Chapter 3?
(c) In love with her.
(d) Abusing the orphans.
7. Homer performs the autopsy and tells the doctor the cadaver died of what in Chapter 5?
(a) Head trauma.
(b) A severed artery.
(c) Heart attack.
8. What do Melony and Homer see flying in the air by the river in Chapter 3?
(a) A small plane.
(b) A hawk.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A crow.
9. Dr. Larch tries to get Candy alone to explain the procedure to her, and Homer escorts Wally outside in time to do what in Chapter 5?
(a) Smoke a cigarette.
(b) Start yelling.
(c) Start crying.
(d) Throw up.
10. Where did Wilbur Larch attend medical school?
(a) Bowdoin College.
(b) Cambridge University.
(c) Exeter College.
(d) Harvard Medical School.
11. When was John Irving born?
12. Melony tells Homer that she will do to him what the woman is doing in the picture if he will do what in Chapter 3?
(a) Get her some ether.
(b) Stay at the orphanage forever.
(c) Get her file from the orphanage office.
(d) Run away with her.
13. Two boys from the orphanage playing outside fall over the dead and frozen body of whom in Chapter 5?
(a) David Copperfield.
(b) The stationmaster.
(c) Nurse Caroline.
(d) Dr. Wilbur Larch.
14. When Homer reaches what age do the doctor and nurses fear he will learn about the abortions in Chapter 2?
15. When did John Irving win the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for his script "The Cider House Rules"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What college did Wilbur Larch attend for his undergraduate degree?
2. After the abortion, who comes into the recovery room to be with Candy in Chapter 5?
3. Dr. Larch asks Homer to perform an autopsy on what in Chapter 5?
4. Wally keeps talking about what that the orphanage should plant on the hill in Chapter 5?
5. How does Homer feel about Candy when he first meets her in Chapter 5?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)