|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Melony suggests to Homer that Dr. Larch is what in Chapter 3?
(a) Abusing the orphans.
(d) In love with her.
2. Where did Wilbur Larch attend medical school?
(a) Bowdoin College.
(b) Harvard Medical School.
(c) Exeter College.
(d) Cambridge University.
3. When did John Irving win the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for his script "The Cider House Rules"?
4. What do Melony and Homer see flying in the air by the river in Chapter 3?
(a) A hawk.
(b) A small plane.
(c) A crow.
(d) An eagle.
5. In Chapter 4, Dr. Larch goes into Homer's history and writes it as if Homer has what to keep Homer from being drafted into the war?
(a) Bad vision.
(b) A mental disability.
(c) Bone spurs.
(d) A heart problem.
6. What was the name of John Irving's first novel?
(a) The World According to Garp.
(b) Setting Free the Bears.
(c) The Water-Method Man.
(d) The 158-Pound Marriage.
7. Dr. Larch tries to get Candy alone to explain the procedure to her, and Homer escorts Wally outside in time to do what in Chapter 5?
(a) Start yelling.
(b) Start crying.
(c) Throw up.
(d) Smoke a cigarette.
8. What is the name of the daughter that a high-society woman wants Dr. Larch to perform an abortion on in Chapter 2?
9. The autopsy reveals that the prostitute to whom Dr. Larch lost his virginity to died of what in Chapter 2?
(a) A heart attack.
10. Melony picks up what while she and Homer are hanging out in one of the abandoned buildings by the river in Chapter 3?
(a) A frog.
(b) A stick.
(c) A rock.
(d) A snake.
11. Who is the founder and doctor of the hospital who runs the orphanage in the novel?
(a) Dr. Wilbur Larch.
(b) Dr. Ray Kendall.
(c) Dr. Homer Wells.
(d) Dr. Wally Richmond.
12. Wilbur Larch's mother worked for whom?
(a) The President.
(b) The police captain.
(c) A local politician.
(d) An Army General.
13. In what state is "The Cider House Rules" set?
14. What woman from a high-society family in Boston invites Dr. Larch to a croquet party in Chapter 2?
(a) Mrs. Grogan.
(b) Grace Lynch.
(c) Olive Worthington.
(d) Mrs. Channing-Peabody.
15. Which nurse is in love with the doctor at the orphanage?
(a) Nurse Edna.
(b) Nurse Melissa.
(c) Nurse Angela.
(d) Nurse Beth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Melony tells Homer in Chapter 3 that if Homer was born at the orphanage, then there is what?
2. Where does Wally learn he can take his fiance for an abortion in Chapter 4?
3. Melony tells Homer that she will do to him what the woman is doing in the picture if he will do what in Chapter 3?
4. The third family that adopts Homer does so when he is how old?
5. When Wally sees Candy with the younger boy in her lap, he begs her to do what in Chapter 5?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)