|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is one of the nurses who works in the boys' division of the hospital orphanage and who tries to never repeat names when naming the babies?
(a) Nurse Edna.
(b) Nurse Melissa.
(c) Nurse Beth.
(d) Nurse Angela.
2. Melony tells Homer that she will do to him what the woman is doing in the picture if he will do what in Chapter 3?
(a) Get her file from the orphanage office.
(b) Run away with her.
(c) Stay at the orphanage forever.
(d) Get her some ether.
3. When Homer sneaks into the baby room in Chapter 3, he finds one of the expectant mothers standing there who asks him to do what?
(a) Call the nurses.
(b) Sleep with his hand and ear on her belly.
(c) Help her leave the building.
(d) Make her some tea.
4. Dr. Larch tries to get Candy alone to explain the procedure to her, and Homer escorts Wally outside in time to do what in Chapter 5?
(a) Start yelling.
(b) Start crying.
(c) Throw up.
(d) Smoke a cigarette.
5. In Chapter 4, Homer and Melony are close to how old?
6. Where did Wilbur Larch attend medical school?
(a) Cambridge University.
(b) Bowdoin College.
(c) Harvard Medical School.
(d) Exeter College.
7. In what state is "The Cider House Rules" set?
8. Homer tells Dr. Larch about the trip to the apple orchard, saying he'll be gone how long in Chapter 5?
(a) A few days.
(b) Ten days.
(c) One month.
(d) Two weeks.
9. The nurses keep mentioning in the novel that the doctor is named after what?
(a) A tree.
(b) A bird of prey.
(c) A fish.
(d) A type of rock.
10. Wally keeps talking about what that the orphanage should plant on the hill in Chapter 5?
(a) Cherry trees.
(d) Apple trees.
11. What kind of car does Wally's father own in the novel?
12. When Dr. Larch catches Homer searching his office, Dr. Larch tells Homer what in Chapter 3?
(a) Get out.
(b) He doesn't keep records of the biological mothers.
(c) He is not allowed to view the mother's files.
(d) He is no longer his assistant.
13. Where does Wally learn he can take his fiance for an abortion in Chapter 4?
(a) St. Cloud's.
(b) Anderson Hospital.
(c) St. Jude's.
(d) Ocean's View Orchard.
14. After the abortion, who comes into the recovery room to be with Candy in Chapter 5?
15. Homer's first foster family returns him to the orphanage because of what reason?
(a) He never cries.
(b) He swears.
(c) He is silent.
(d) He is violent.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a graduation gift from high school, Wilbur's father bought him what?
2. What is the birth name of Wally's mother in the novel?
3. By what age is Homer learning to be a doctor, seen a live birth, learned how to perform abortions, and having routine sex with Melony in Chapter 3?
4. What medical reference book does Dr. Larch give to Homer to study?
5. Melony suggests to Homer that Dr. Larch is addicted to what in Chapter 3?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)