|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, Dr. Larch returns to the hospital with a girl how old who is pregnant by her father?
2. Wally's girlfriend in Chapter 4 is the daughter of the local what?
(a) Capenter and drunk.
(b) Lobsterman and mechanic.
(c) Banker and investor.
(d) Sheriff and city councilman.
3. In what state is "The Cider House Rules" set?
4. How many of John Irving's novels have been adapted to film?
5. Dr. Larch asks Homer to perform an autopsy on what in Chapter 5?
(a) A dead fetus.
(b) A teenage girl.
(c) A horse.
(d) An old man.
6. In Chapter 3, Dr. Larch makes it Homer's responsibility to read to the orphans for how long each night?
(a) 1 hour.
(b) 45 minutes.
(c) 20 minutes.
(d) 10 minutes.
7. In Chapter 5, the wind is picking up in St. Cloud's and awakens the stationmaster, who thinks it is what?
(b) Christmas Day..
(c) New Year's Day.
(d) Judgment Day.
8. What do Melony and Homer see flying in the air by the river in Chapter 3?
(a) A crow.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A small plane.
(d) A hawk.
9. What kind of car does Wally's father own in the novel?
10. Which nurse is in love with the doctor at the orphanage?
(a) Nurse Angela.
(b) Nurse Edna.
(c) Nurse Melissa.
(d) Nurse Beth.
11. The third family that adopts Homer does so when he is how old?
12. Who is looking out the window when the car drives by leaving with Homer in the end of Chapter 5?
(a) Nurse Caroline.
(c) Nurse Edna.
13. Homer's first foster family returns him to the orphanage because of what reason?
(a) He never cries.
(b) He is silent.
(c) He swears.
(d) He is violent.
14. Who is one of the nurses who works in the boys' division of the hospital orphanage and who tries to never repeat names when naming the babies?
(a) Nurse Beth.
(b) Nurse Melissa.
(c) Nurse Angela.
(d) Nurse Edna.
15. Wilbur Larch was born in what era?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the birth name of Wally's mother in the novel?
2. What woman from a high-society family in Boston invites Dr. Larch to a croquet party in Chapter 2?
3. When one of the orphans dies, Dr. Larch writes a history about the child being what?
4. What college did Wilbur Larch attend for his undergraduate degree?
5. What is the name of Wally's girlfriend's father?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)