|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Two boys from the orphanage playing outside fall over the dead and frozen body of whom in Chapter 5?
(a) Nurse Caroline.
(b) Dr. Wilbur Larch.
(c) David Copperfield.
(d) The stationmaster.
2. Wilbur Larch's mother worked for whom?
(a) A local politician.
(b) The police captain.
(c) The President.
(d) An Army General.
3. How does Homer feel about Candy when he first meets her in Chapter 5?
(a) He thinks she is arrogant.
(b) He falls in love with her.
(c) He finds her unattractive.
(d) He thinks she is misinformed.
4. Which nurse is in love with the doctor at the orphanage?
(a) Nurse Melissa.
(b) Nurse Beth.
(c) Nurse Angela.
(d) Nurse Edna.
5. After the abortion, who comes into the recovery room to be with Candy in Chapter 5?
6. What college did Wilbur Larch attend for his undergraduate degree?
(a) Bowdoin College.
(b) Harvard Medical School.
(c) Exeter College.
(d) Cambridge University.
7. Dr. Larch tells Wally and Candy about Homer's what, in Chapter 5?
(a) Heart condition.
(c) Anger problems.
(d) Math skills.
8. Homer packs his bag and says goodbye to the two nurses while Dr. Larch starts the autopsy on whom in Chapter 5?
(a) Debra Pettigrew.
(b) Mr. Rose.
(c) Mrs. Channing-Peabody.
(d) The stationmaster.
9. Homer's first foster family returns him to the orphanage because of what reason?
(a) He never cries.
(b) He is violent.
(c) He swears.
(d) He is silent.
10. Homer keeps the photograph shown to him by Melony hidden where in Chapter 3?
(a) Behind a mirror.
(b) Under his mattress.
(c) Behind a bookshelf.
(d) In a desk.
11. What kind of car does Wally's father own in the novel?
12. Melony tells Homer that she will do to him what the woman is doing in the picture if he will do what in Chapter 3?
(a) Stay at the orphanage forever.
(b) Get her file from the orphanage office.
(c) Get her some ether.
(d) Run away with her.
13. What is the name of the daughter that a high-society woman wants Dr. Larch to perform an abortion on in Chapter 2?
14. What did Wally's mother change her first and last name to after marrying?
(a) Martha Worthington.
(b) Candice Worthington.
(c) Janice Worthington.
(d) Olive Worthington.
15. What orphan from the orphanage had respiratory problems causing him/her to sleep in a special tent to help with breathing?
(b) Fuzzy Stone.
(c) Wally Worthington.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Larch tries to get Candy alone to explain the procedure to her, and Homer escorts Wally outside in time to do what in Chapter 5?
2. The autopsy reveals that the prostitute to whom Dr. Larch lost his virginity to died of what in Chapter 2?
3. What was the name of John Irving's first novel?
4. In addition to being a drunk and unbeknownst to him and his family, Wally Worthing Senior has what disease?
5. In Chapter 4, Dr. Larch goes into Homer's history and writes it as if Homer has what to keep Homer from being drafted into the war?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)