• Chapter 1 introduces the St. Cloud's orphanage in St. Cloud's, Maine.
• The founder and doctor of the hospital who runs the orphanage is Dr. Wilbur Larch.
• While Dr. Larch believes the children at the orphanage should be safe and cared for, he also believes in creating an environment that fosters hope
• Set in the late 1920s and early 1930s, the women who come to the orphanage arrive pregnant, leave their unwanted children for adoption, and leave the orphanage after giving birth.
• The fact that St. Cloud's is an abandoned logging town is a fitting symbol.
• The majority of the children at the orphanage are abandoned or unwanted as well, which ironically makes St. Cloud the perfect place for these children.
• Chapter 1 introduces four of the main characters, which include Dr. Larch, his two nurses, Edna and Angela, and Homer Wells.
• The nurses, Edna and Angela, call the...
This section contains 2,844 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)