|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what is the current Bible based on?
(a) A Japanese-based translation.
(b) Copies of copies of copies.
(c) New translators.
(d) Ideals that are no longer valued.
2. A group that disputes the four gospels adds a fifth one. What is their fifth gospel?
(a) The Gospel of Gospels.
(b) The Gospel of Bob.
(c) The Gospel of Thomas.
(d) The Gospel of Josephus.
3. Who was the second person to record that Peter's firsthand accounts were accurate?
(c) Peter himself.
4. What are the themes of ancient mystery religions?
(a) Cursing and blessing.
(b) Preaching and healing.
(c) Healing and cursing.
(d) Dying and coming back to life.
5. What did Josephus' writings prove?
(a) That Jesus hung out with the apostles.
(b) That Jesus was a good man.
(c) That Jesus and John were biological brothers.
(d) That Jesus performed miracles.
6. Does Witherington believe Jesus saw himself as the son of God?
(a) Jesus thought he was, but did not know for certain.
(d) Not enough information is avaialble.
7. Which gospels does Strobel challenge because they do not begin with a claim to strive toward accuracy?
(a) Matthew and Mark.
(b) Exodus and Numbers.
(c) Luke and John.
(d) Acts and Romans.
8. What kinds of eyewitness accounts does Strobel seek?
(a) People who personally interacted with Jesus.
(b) People who do not believe in Jesus.
(c) People who witnessed the murder of a preacher.
(d) People who go to church.
9. According to Yamauchi, what put expansion of Christianity on hold temporarily?
(a) Jesus' miracles.
(b) Jesus' resurrection.
(c) Jesus' death.
(d) Jesus left Jerusalem.
10. Why does the author hold testimony from Josephus' writings with high regard?
(a) Because Josephus' works regarding the Jewish wars have been proven historically accurate through archeology.
(b) Josephus was who he learned about in college.
(c) Because Josephus was the only writer of his time to use a type of paper that would not disintegrate over time.
(d) Because Josephus' works regarding Jesus have been proven.
11. Which science does not dispute the gospels but instead confirms their reliability?
12. What did Josephus write?
(a) "The Antiquities."
(b) "The Ancient Citites."
(d) "The Classical Era."
13. How far back do some manuscript fragments date the book of John?
(a) 125 AD.
(b) 3 AD.
(c) 90 BC.
(d) 33 AD.
14. What advantage does Metzger cite for the New Testament?
(a) An unprecidented number of copies.
(b) It is newer than the old one is.
(c) It has been translated only twice.
(d) It actually dates to the right time period.
15. According to Witherington, why does Jesus shy away from claiming to be the son of God?
(a) He didn't want to get stoned.
(b) He wasn't sure himself.
(c) The Jews would have declared it blasphemy.
(d) He didn't want the resposiblity right away.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Chicago crime leader in the author's example get a not-guilty verdict in court?
2. How many experts does the author interview?
3. What is the Q source?
4. What was one of the most significant documents Strobel found in his reporting career?
5. How has 40 years of research affected Yamauchi's faith?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)