|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At which point does Jesus confirm his identity?
(a) At his baptism.
(b) At age 12.
(c) When he tells Paul the commandments.
(d) When he preaches from a mountaintop in Cairo.
2. What does the author say the reader must set aside while reading the book?
(a) Knowledge and power.
(b) Skepticism and sarcasm.
(c) Preconceptions and prejudices.
(d) Predeterminations and predictions.
3. Who believes Jesus did not say 82 percent of what is attributed to him in the gospels?
(a) The Pope.
(c) The Jesus Seminar.
(d) Richard Hayes.
4. On what is the current Bible based on?
(a) Copies of copies of copies.
(b) Ideals that are no longer valued.
(c) New translators.
(d) A Japanese-based translation.
5. Who asked Jesus if he was the Messiah for whom they were waiting?
(d) John the Baptist.
6. What reliability does the author also look to prove about the gospel based on corroborating evidence outside of the Bible?
7. What find provides a wealth of information regarding Jewish culture and customs?
(a) The Shroud of Turin.
(b) John's manuscript in Egypt.
(c) A census report.
(d) The Dead Sea Scrolls.
8. Who, in Blomberg's example, memorized the Old Testament?
(c) The apostles.
9. What impact do the writings of the apostle Paul have on the New Testament?
(a) They corroborate New Testament accounts.
(b) They create more questions.
(c) They have no impact.
(d) They show faith in action among the apostles.
10. What is the author's religious belief/preference as he begins his quest for knowledge?
11. What is the truth about the author's fear?
(a) He is fascinated by the subtle changes in his wife.
(b) He still gets to drink wine.
(c) God forgives, so he doesn't have to really do anything.
(d) He can still gamble as long as he tithes.
12. According to Metzger, how many factors are considered in criteria designed to measure a manuscript's appropriateness for inclusion in the New Testament?
13. A group that disputes the four gospels adds a fifth one. What is their fifth gospel?
(a) The Gospel of Josephus.
(b) The Gospel of Gospels.
(c) The Gospel of Thomas.
(d) The Gospel of Bob.
14. Does Witherington believe Jesus saw himself as the son of God?
(b) Jesus thought he was, but did not know for certain.
(d) Not enough information is avaialble.
15. How has 40 years of research affected Yamauchi's faith?
(a) It opened his mind to other beliefs.
(b) It weakend it.
(c) He is no longer a Christian.
(d) It strengthened it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the author's interviewees has experience as an archeological expert in the Middle East?
2. How does the eyewitness discussed in Chapter 1, Part 1 save his own life?
3. What criterion does Boyd use in determining that the Jesus in the Bible is not the Jesus who is son of God?
4. In the introduction, how long do we learn was the author's spiritual journey?
5. To which branch of the military did Jeffry McDonald belong?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)