|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the 1974 term, who is the court's press officer?
2. Who dies on the day the abortion decision is formally announced?
3. Who writes the majority opinion in San Antonio v. Rodriguez?
4. Saxbe v. Bustos is what type of case?
5. In July 1973, which court issues an injunction to halt the bombing of Cambodia by the US?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Powell do his research on abortion?
2. After the other justices comment on his draft decision in the Milliken case, what does Burger do?
3. What does Chief Justice Burger do at his annual reunions with his law clerks?
4. What does the first reverse-discrimination case the court hears concern?
5. What does Burger do when he finds out the abortion opinion has been leaked to the press before its release date?
6. What do the other Justices decide to do when news of Douglas' stroke comes to them?
7. What does the Fourteenth Amendment say?
8. In the 1973 term, how does the court deal with obscenity?
9. What does Brennan not like about Burger's tactics during the 1975 term?
10. What does the Saxbe decision allow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss, using examples from the book, how the Burger court used, or didn't use, the power of the court to influence politics in the states.
Essay Topic 2
How does the court's ability to choose its cases influence the decisions it makes? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What effect can presidents have on the Supreme Court? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)