|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which justice writes the opinion in Jenkins v. Georgia?
2. How many days does Burger spend in the hospital after he was hit by a car?
3. Southeastern Promotions, Ltd. v. Conrad deals with which musical?
4. Which justice writes the opinion in Hamling v. US?
5. Frontiero v. Richardson involves what issue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Blackmun's formula on abortion that wins the support of the chief justice?
2. What do the other Justices decide to do when news of Douglas' stroke comes to them?
3. How does Burger get from the Netherlands to the White House for Ford's swearing-in?
4. What happens to Douglas when he arrives in Nassau with his wife, Cathy?
5. In the 1973 term, how does the court deal with obscenity?
6. Why does Burger go to New York to visit Douglas on July 24th, before the start of the 1975 term?
7. What does Chief Justice Burger do at his annual reunions with his law clerks?
8. What does Brennan talk about at the opening cocktail party for the clerks before the 1974 term?
9. What does the first reverse-discrimination case the court hears concern?
10. In the Frontiero case, what does the lower court decide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book to support your answer, was Burger a good chief justice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What was one of the big issues the Burger court dealt with, and how did the court handle the issue? Discuss legal reasoning, internal debates, and anything else that you think is relevant. Use the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What do the various justices in the book believe the role of the Supreme Court is? Cite examples to support your reasoning.
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)