|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Blackmun finally makes it through all the cert petitions that are waiting his arrival on the Court, how many does he agree to grant cert for?
(b) Three or four.
(c) Seven or eight.
(d) About half.
2. As chief justice, Burger was in charge of what building?
(a) The Appellate Court building.
(b) The Courts building.
(c) The judicial buildings in DC.
(d) The Supreme Court building.
3. The Brennan order on desegregation, issued to guide the lower courts, was issued __________, meaning it had no designated author.
(a) Per curiam.
(b) Per solitarium.
(c) Per informa.
(d) Per justicium.
4. When Warren and his clerks got together on Saturdays, what do they watch?
(a) The news.
(c) Classic movies.
5. In Charlotte, North Carolina, what is the name of the judge who orders desegregation in Mecklenberg County?
(a) Judas McAdams.
(b) Jorge McDawling.
(c) James McMillan.
(d) Justin McLawson.
6. Burger tries to squeeze in a lunch with the clerks how often?
(a) Once a month.
(b) Once a year.
(c) Once a term.
(d) Once a week.
7. Burger writes a memo that looks at the obscenity cases of the 1971 term within a doctrine called what?
(a) Stanley privacy doctrine.
(b) Stanley prevention doctrine.
(c) Stanley obscenity doctrine.
(d) Stanley perversion doctrine.
8. Who appoints justices to the Supreme Court?
(a) The senate.
(b) The president.
(d) The attorney general.
9. Hartstein v. Missouri, Miller v. California, and Wiener v. California are all cases that consider what?
(a) Illegal searches.
(b) Death penalty.
(c) Child labor.
10. When does the court's term begin?
11. Hugo Black is asked to rule on the delay of racial segregation in what state?
12. When Douglas goes out of town, Burger reassigns the Lloyd opinion to which Justice?
13. Gerald R. Ford leads an impeachment attempt against whom?
14. The arguments in the three busing cases are heard in what month?
15. The publication of the Pentagon Papers is enjoined by the federal courts on what grounds?
(a) Harmful content.
(b) Prior restraint.
(c) National security.
(d) Illicit content.
Short Answer Questions
1. Blackmun had been general counsel at what location when he was in private practice?
2. How long does each side normally get during oral arguments?
3. Who is appointed to Black's seat on the Court?
4. Potter Stewart is worried that what problem would become public if he took the Chief Justice spot?
5. In what year does Chief Justice Earl Warren retire from the Court?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)