|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gretel said to arrange and rearrange in her bedroom in her free time in Chapter Fourteen: "Bruno Tells a Perfectly Reasonable Lie"?
2. Shmuel tells Bruno in Chapter Thirteen: "The Bottle of Wine" that most of the people on his side of the fence are from Poland, but there are others from what country?
3. What is the name of the boy in the book that Bruno describes to Lieutenant Kotler in Chapter Fifteen: "Something He Shouldn't Have Done"?
4. Who admits to missing Berlin first in Chapter Seventeen: "Mother Gets Her Own Way"?
5. What has happened to Lieutenant Kotler in Chapter Seventeen: "Mother Gets Her Own Way"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lead to Bruno’s “haircut” in Chapter Sixteen: "The Haircut"?
2. How does Bruno “let slip” about Shmuel to his sister in Chapter Fourteen: "Bruno Tells a Perfectly Reasonable Lie"? How does he cover up this revelation?
3. What exchange takes place between Bruno and Lieutenant Kotler in Chapter Fifteen: "Something He Shouldn't Have Done"?
4. How does your opinion of Bruno’s father and his role at the camp change throughout the narrative? What is Bruno’s father’s objective?
5. How is the weather described when Bruno goes to meet Shmuel in Chapter Nineteen: "What Happened the Next Day"?
6. What are Bruno’s impressions when his family returns to Berlin briefly in Chapter Sixteen: "The Haircut"? How has the camp changed when they return?
7. What does Bruno offer to do in order to help Shmuel in Chapter Eighteen: "Thinking Up the Final Adventure"?
8. How is the setting where Shmuel’s family lived in the ghetto described in Chapter Twelve: "Shmuel Thinks of an Answer to Bruno's Question"?
9. How does Bruno recall the evening that the Fury came to dinner in Chapter Eleven: "The Fury"?
10. How does the friendship between Shmuel and Bruno develop in Chapter Thirteen: "The Bottle of Wine"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Bruno’s misinterpretation of certain words in the novel, such as “Out-With” in reference to Auschwitz, and “the Fury” in reference to “the Führer.” Why do you think the author chose to make these “misinterpretations” on Bruno’s part? Do you think the novel would be as effective if the correct terminology were used? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Pavel in the novel. How do you perceive Pavel’s life prior to the Nazi takeover? What was his profession? How old is Pavel? What do you think happens to Pavel at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Bruno’s mother in The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Approximately how old do you think Bruno’s mother is? How is her appearance described? What are Bruno’s mother’s actions, objectives, and obstacles seen in the story?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)