|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does the narrator say Bruno had “become much friendlier with than he ever had been back in Berlin” in Chapter Seventeen: "Mother Gets Her Own Way"?
2. What is the name of the boy who frequently hit Shmuel when his family was relocated to the ghetto in Chapter Twelve: "Shmuel Thinks of an Answer to Bruno's Question"?
3. Gretel tells Bruno in Chapter Sixteen: "The Haircut" that the people on the other side of the fence are all what?
4. What has Gretel hung on her bedroom walls in Chapter Sixteen: "The Haircut"?
5. At what time does Bruno’s father say the Fury is coming to their house for dinner in the flashback in Chapter Eleven: "The Fury"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bruno learn about Shmuel’s life on the other side of the fence in Chapter Twelve: "Shmuel Thinks of an Answer to Bruno's Question"?
2. Who is represented by the character called “the Fury” in the novel?
3. What leads to the scary incident between Lieutenant Kotler and Pavel in Chapter Thirteen: "The Bottle of Wine"?
4. What does Bruno offer to do in order to help Shmuel in Chapter Eighteen: "Thinking Up the Final Adventure"?
5. How does Bruno’s father finally figure out what happened to Bruno in Chapter Twenty: "The Last Chapter"?
6. How does Bruno “let slip” about Shmuel to his sister in Chapter Fourteen: "Bruno Tells a Perfectly Reasonable Lie"? How does he cover up this revelation?
7. How does Shmuel explain his absence when he finally sees Bruno in Chapter Eighteen: "Thinking Up the Final Adventure"?
8. How does Bruno feel about leaving Out-With in Chapter Seventeen: "Mother Gets Her Own Way"?
9. How does Bruno go about entering the camp in Chapter Nineteen: "What Happened the Next Day"?
10. How has Bruno’s attitude and impressions of Out-With changed in Chapter Sixteen: "The Haircut"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Pavel in the novel. How do you perceive Pavel’s life prior to the Nazi takeover? What was his profession? How old is Pavel? What do you think happens to Pavel at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bruno’s impressions of Herr Lizst in the narrative. How old is Herr Liszt? Where does this character live in relation to Bruno’s home at Out-With? What subjects does Herr Liszt stress the importance of to Bruno?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Bruno’s misinterpretation of certain words in the novel, such as “Out-With” in reference to Auschwitz, and “the Fury” in reference to “the Führer.” Why do you think the author chose to make these “misinterpretations” on Bruno’s part? Do you think the novel would be as effective if the correct terminology were used? Why or why not?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)