|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who admits to missing Berlin first in Chapter Seventeen: "Mother Gets Her Own Way"?
2. Bruno suggests to Shmuel that what has likely happened to his father in Chapter Eighteen: "Thinking Up the Final Adventure"?
3. What does Gretel do every day once she and her mother return to Berlin in Chapter Twenty: "The Last Chapter"?
4. Who were the Americans allied with during World War II?
5. Where have Bruno and Shmuel been taken presumably in the end of Chapter Nineteen: "What Happened the Next Day"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shmuel explain his absence when he finally sees Bruno in Chapter Eighteen: "Thinking Up the Final Adventure"?
2. How does your opinion of Bruno’s father and his role at the camp change throughout the narrative? What is Bruno’s father’s objective?
3. Where does Bruno discover Shmuel in Chapter Fifteen: "Something He Shouldn't Have Done"? What does Bruno offer to Shmuel?
4. What leads Bruno’s mother to demand leaving Out-With in Chapter Seventeen: "Mother Gets Her Own Way"?
5. What leads to Lieutenant Kotler’s berating of Shmuel in Chapter Fifteen: "Something He Shouldn't Have Done"?
6. How does Bruno’s father finally figure out what happened to Bruno in Chapter Twenty: "The Last Chapter"?
7. How is the setting where Shmuel’s family lived in the ghetto described in Chapter Twelve: "Shmuel Thinks of an Answer to Bruno's Question"?
8. How does Bruno’s family respond to his disappearance in Chapter Twenty: "The Last Chapter"?
9. What does Bruno learn about Shmuel’s life on the other side of the fence in Chapter Twelve: "Shmuel Thinks of an Answer to Bruno's Question"?
10. How does the friendship between Shmuel and Bruno develop in Chapter Thirteen: "The Bottle of Wine"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define “irony” and the different forms of irony used in literature. Discuss how author John Boyne makes extensive use of irony throughout The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. How does irony apply to Bruno’s perception of Out-With? How is dramatic irony used in the denouement of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Bruno’s grandmother in the novel. What are Bruno’s feelings about his grandmother? What are his fondest memories of this character? What caused the rift between Bruno’s grandmother and Bruno’s father?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Bruno’s mother in The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Approximately how old do you think Bruno’s mother is? How is her appearance described? What are Bruno’s mother’s actions, objectives, and obstacles seen in the story?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)