|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did World War II end in Europe?
2. When Bruno tells Shmuel about his family’s maid Maria in Chapter Thirteen: "The Bottle of Wine,” he says, “She’s very nice although Father says she’s” what?
3. What is the name of the pirate in Bruno’s book in Chapter Fifteen: "Something He Shouldn't Have Done"?
4. When does Shmuel say he last saw his father in Chapter Eighteen: "Thinking Up the Final Adventure"?
5. In Chapter Fourteen: "Bruno Tells a Perfectly Reasonable Lie,” the narrator says, “Bruno considered the dilemma he was in. On the one hand his sister and he had one crucial thing in common.” What is this commonality?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bruno learn about Pavel from Maria in Chapter Thirteen: "The Bottle of Wine"?
2. What does Bruno learn about Shmuel’s life on the other side of the fence in Chapter Twelve: "Shmuel Thinks of an Answer to Bruno's Question"?
3. Where does Bruno discover Shmuel in Chapter Fifteen: "Something He Shouldn't Have Done"? What does Bruno offer to Shmuel?
4. How does Bruno “let slip” about Shmuel to his sister in Chapter Fourteen: "Bruno Tells a Perfectly Reasonable Lie"? How does he cover up this revelation?
5. What does Shmuel tell Bruno of his life before the camp in Chapter Twelve: "Shmuel Thinks of an Answer to Bruno's Question"?
6. What leads Bruno’s mother to demand leaving Out-With in Chapter Seventeen: "Mother Gets Her Own Way"?
7. How does Shmuel explain his absence when he finally sees Bruno in Chapter Eighteen: "Thinking Up the Final Adventure"?
8. How does Gretel’s character evolve in the narrative? What leads to the biggest changes in Gretel’s character?
9. How is the weather described when Bruno goes to meet Shmuel in Chapter Nineteen: "What Happened the Next Day"?
10. What plans do Bruno and Shmuel make for their last day together in Chapter Eighteen: "Thinking Up the Final Adventure"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Bruno’s father in The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. How old is Bruno’s father? What are his notable characteristics in terms of demeanor? How would you describe his relationship with his wife and children? How does Bruno’s father evolve in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the narrative style established in the beginning of the novel. Is the story told from a first, second, or third-person perspective? Why do you think the author chooses this narrative style? Is the narrator’s perspective omniscient or limited?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Bruno’s impressions of Herr Lizst in the narrative. How old is Herr Liszt? Where does this character live in relation to Bruno’s home at Out-With? What subjects does Herr Liszt stress the importance of to Bruno?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)