|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bruno say his family is having for dinner tonight in Chapter Nineteen: "What Happened the Next Day"?
2. How did Adolf Hitler die?
3. What does Shmuel do for the first time in the end of Chapter Fifteen: "Something He Shouldn't Have Done"?
4. What is the name of the boy in the book that Bruno describes to Lieutenant Kotler in Chapter Fifteen: "Something He Shouldn't Have Done"?
5. What does Bruno offer to do in order to help Shmuel in Chapter Eighteen: "Thinking Up the Final Adventure"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shmuel tell Bruno of his life before the camp in Chapter Twelve: "Shmuel Thinks of an Answer to Bruno's Question"?
2. What leads to the scary incident between Lieutenant Kotler and Pavel in Chapter Thirteen: "The Bottle of Wine"?
3. How does Bruno’s family respond to his disappearance in Chapter Twenty: "The Last Chapter"?
4. Who is represented by the character called “the Fury” in the novel?
5. How does Bruno’s father respond to the suggestion from his wife that she and the children leave Out-With in Chapter Seventeen: "Mother Gets Her Own Way"?
6. How is the setting where Shmuel’s family lived in the ghetto described in Chapter Twelve: "Shmuel Thinks of an Answer to Bruno's Question"?
7. What leads to Lieutenant Kotler’s berating of Shmuel in Chapter Fifteen: "Something He Shouldn't Have Done"?
8. How would you characterize the denouement of the novel in Chapter Twenty: "The Last Chapter"?
9. How does Shmuel explain his absence when he finally sees Bruno in Chapter Eighteen: "Thinking Up the Final Adventure"?
10. How does Bruno go about entering the camp in Chapter Nineteen: "What Happened the Next Day"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of Lieutenant Kotler in The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. How old is Kotler said to be? How is his appearance described? Why does Bruno dislike this character? Who in Bruno’s family shows admiration for Lieutenant Kotler? What happens to this character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Pavel in the novel. How do you perceive Pavel’s life prior to the Nazi takeover? What was his profession? How old is Pavel? What do you think happens to Pavel at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Shmuel and Bruno’s first impressions of Shmuel when they meet in the narrative. How old is Shmuel? What similarities does he share with Bruno? What differences stand between these boys? How does Shmuel’s character evolve through the novel?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)