|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Bruno’s Grandmother said to be in Chapter Eight: "Why Grandmother Stormed Out"?
2. What color hair is Gretel said to have in Chapter Three: "The Hopeless Case"?
3. What is the boy on the other side of the fence doing when Bruno first approaches him in Chapter Ten: "The Dot that Became a Speck that Became a Blob that Became a Figure that Became a Boy"?
4. Why can Gretel not see “the children” from her own bedroom window in Chapter Three: "The Hopeless Case"?
5. Bruno says in Chapter Four: "What they Saw through the Window" that in Berlin on their quiet street they only had how many houses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bruno experience of his grandmother’s argument with his father in Chapter Eight: "Why Grandmother Stormed Out"?
2. How old is Gretel in Chapter Four: "What they Saw through the Window"? How does Bruno feel about his sister?
3. How does Bruno become injured in Chapter Seven: "How Mother Took Credit for Something that She Hadn't Done"? Who helps him?
4. What led up to Bruno’s grandmother storming out of his house in Chapter Eight: "Why Grandmother Stormed Out"?
5. Who does “the Fury” refer to in the novel? What information does the reader learn about the Fury in Chapter Two: "The New House"?
6. What does Maria relate to Bruno of his father’s actions toward her and her mother in Chapter Six: "The Overpaid Maid"?
7. What conversation takes place between Bruno and his father regarding their move in Chapter One: "Bruno Makes a Discovery"?
8. How is the character of Shmuel described in Chapter Ten: "The Dot that Became a Speck that Became a Blob that Became a Figure that Became a Boy"?
9. How does Bruno’s mother feel about her family’s relocation to Out-With? What are her main concerns about this setting?
10. How is Bruno’s relationship to his grandparents described in Chapter Eight: "Why Grandmother Stormed Out"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of the Auschwitz concentration camp under Nazi rule. When was the concentration and extermination camp established? How many Jews, Poles, and other individuals were killed at Auschwitz? How is Auschwitz depicted in The Boy in the Striped Pajamas?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the conflict that occurs between Lieutenant Kotler and Pavel in Chapter Thirteen: "The Bottle of Wine.” Why does Lieutenant Kotler behave as he does? Why does this behavior frighten Bruno? How does this event change Bruno’s perspectives of each of these characters?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Bruno’s mother in The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Approximately how old do you think Bruno’s mother is? How is her appearance described? What are Bruno’s mother’s actions, objectives, and obstacles seen in the story?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)