|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gretel’s answer when Bruno asks her in Chapter Three: "The Hopeless Case,” “What is foreseeable future exactly?”
2. What is described as being directly underneath Bruno’s window in Chapter Four: "What they Saw through the Window"?
3. What does Maria say that Bruno’s father did for her mother after Maria had been working for the family a short time in Chapter Six: "The Overpaid Maid"?
4. By what nickname does Bruno secretly refer to his sister Gretel in Chapter One: "Bruno Makes a Discovery"?
5. What color hair is Bruno’s mother described as having in Chapter One: "Bruno Makes a Discovery"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bruno tell Maria about regarding the move in Chapter Six: "The Overpaid Maid"?
2. How is the character of Shmuel described in Chapter Ten: "The Dot that Became a Speck that Became a Blob that Became a Figure that Became a Boy"?
3. Would you describe Bruno’s character as “innocent” in the novel? How “innocent” are Bruno’s parents?
4. What did Bruno experience of his grandmother’s argument with his father in Chapter Eight: "Why Grandmother Stormed Out"?
5. Whom does Bruno ask for help in finding a tire in Chapter Seven: "How Mother Took Credit for Something that She Hadn't Done"? Why?
6. How is Bruno’s relationship to his grandparents described in Chapter Eight: "Why Grandmother Stormed Out"?
7. What conversation takes place between Bruno and his father regarding their move in Chapter One: "Bruno Makes a Discovery"?
8. How does Bruno study his class work while at Out-With in Chapter Nine: "Bruno Remembers that He Used to Enjoy Exploration"?
9. What leads Bruno to go exploring in Chapter Nine: "Bruno Remembers that He Used to Enjoy Exploration"? Where does he first go?
10. What confuses Bruno about the people on the other side of the fence in Chapter Ten: "The Dot that Became a Speck that Became a Blob that Became a Figure that Became a Boy"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of Adolf Hitler’s anti-Semitic policies and racially motivated ideology in Nazi Germany as seen throughout The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. How are racism and anti-Semitism portrayed in the novel? What characters display these characteristics?
Essay Topic 2
Define “irony” and the different forms of irony used in literature. Discuss how author John Boyne makes extensive use of irony throughout The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. How does irony apply to Bruno’s perception of Out-With? How is dramatic irony used in the denouement of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of Lieutenant Kotler in The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. How old is Kotler said to be? How is his appearance described? Why does Bruno dislike this character? Who in Bruno’s family shows admiration for Lieutenant Kotler? What happens to this character?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)