|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the meaning of the word “ergo,” used in Chapter Five: "Out of Bounds at All Times and No Exceptions”?
2. How old was Bruno’s Grandfather said to be when Bruno’s family left for Out-With?
3. The oak tree that Bruno finds and decides to put a tire swing in is so old that he imagines it must have been planted when, according to the narrator in Chapter Seven: "How Mother Took Credit for Something that She Hadn't Done"?
4. How many floors, including the basement, comprise Bruno’s family’s new home in Out-With?
5. The people on the other side of the fence are described as being how far from Bruno’s home, as he and Gretel watch from the window in Chapter Four: "What they Saw through the Window"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bruno come to discover his family is moving in Chapter One: "Bruno Makes a Discovery"? How does Bruno respond?
2. How does Bruno respond when his father asks him what he thinks of their new home in Chapter Five: "Out of Bounds at All Times and No Exceptions"?
3. How does Gretel go about attempting to cheer up her brother in Chapter Three: "The Hopeless Case"?
4. What is Bruno’s father’s position within the German military? What is the reason for his relocation?
5. What conversation takes place between Bruno and his father regarding their move in Chapter One: "Bruno Makes a Discovery"?
6. How is the character of Shmuel described in Chapter Ten: "The Dot that Became a Speck that Became a Blob that Became a Figure that Became a Boy"?
7. What is Gretel’s response to the mystery of the fence and what is beyond it in Chapter Four: "What they Saw through the Window"?
8. What does Bruno tell Maria about regarding the move in Chapter Six: "The Overpaid Maid"?
9. What does Maria relate to Bruno of his father’s actions toward her and her mother in Chapter Six: "The Overpaid Maid"?
10. What led up to Bruno’s grandmother storming out of his house in Chapter Eight: "Why Grandmother Stormed Out"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of the Auschwitz concentration camp under Nazi rule. When was the concentration and extermination camp established? How many Jews, Poles, and other individuals were killed at Auschwitz? How is Auschwitz depicted in The Boy in the Striped Pajamas?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of Adolf Hitler’s anti-Semitic policies and racially motivated ideology in Nazi Germany as seen throughout The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. How are racism and anti-Semitism portrayed in the novel? What characters display these characteristics?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the narrative style established in the beginning of the novel. Is the story told from a first, second, or third-person perspective? Why do you think the author chooses this narrative style? Is the narrator’s perspective omniscient or limited?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)