|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Maria tells Bruno in Chapter Six: "The Overpaid Maid,” “We must all just keep ourselves safe until this is all over. That’s what I intend to do anyway. What more can we do than that after all? It’s not up to us to” what?
2. One of the soldiers speaking to Bruno’s father is overheard in Chapter Five: "Out of Bounds at All Times and No Exceptions" saying, “We have lacked efficiency since the start of” what year?
3. What covers the walls in Bruno’s father’s office in Chapter Five: "Out of Bounds at All Times and No Exceptions"?
4. By what nickname does Bruno secretly refer to his sister Gretel in Chapter One: "Bruno Makes a Discovery"?
5. Bruno’s sister Gretel is described as having a large collection of what toys in Chapter Three: "The Hopeless Case"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bruno tell Maria about regarding the move in Chapter Six: "The Overpaid Maid"?
2. Who does “the Fury” refer to in the novel? What information does the reader learn about the Fury in Chapter Two: "The New House"?
3. What leads Bruno to go exploring in Chapter Nine: "Bruno Remembers that He Used to Enjoy Exploration"? Where does he first go?
4. What led up to Bruno’s grandmother storming out of his house in Chapter Eight: "Why Grandmother Stormed Out"?
5. How does Gretel go about attempting to cheer up her brother in Chapter Three: "The Hopeless Case"?
6. What confuses Bruno about the people on the other side of the fence in Chapter Ten: "The Dot that Became a Speck that Became a Blob that Became a Figure that Became a Boy"?
7. How does Bruno study his class work while at Out-With in Chapter Nine: "Bruno Remembers that He Used to Enjoy Exploration"?
8. What is revealed on the plaque that Bruno reads in Chapter Nine: "Bruno Remembers that He Used to Enjoy Exploration"?
9. How does Bruno go about “making the best of the situation” in Chapter Six: "The Overpaid Maid"?
10. How does Bruno’s mother feel about her family’s relocation to Out-With? What are her main concerns about this setting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Gretel in The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. What is Gretel’s relationship like with her brother? How old is Gretel? What characteristics stand out the most about her character? How does Gretel’s character evolve throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Define “irony” and the different forms of irony used in literature. Discuss how author John Boyne makes extensive use of irony throughout The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. How does irony apply to Bruno’s perception of Out-With? How is dramatic irony used in the denouement of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Bruno as the protagonist in the novel. How old is Bruno? What are Bruno’s favorite things about living in Berlin? How does Bruno feel about his sister? How does Bruno evolve as a character by the end of the story?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)