|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gretel explains to Bruno in Chapter Three: "The Hopeless Case" that “Out-With” is the name of what?
2. For how long does Bruno say he’s been exploring when he meets the boy on the other side of the fence in Chapter Ten: "The Dot that Became a Speck that Became a Blob that Became a Figure that Became a Boy"?
3. One of the soldiers speaking to Bruno’s father is overheard in Chapter Five: "Out of Bounds at All Times and No Exceptions" saying, “We have lacked efficiency since the start of” what year?
4. How old is Gretel in the beginning of the novel?
5. By what name does Gretel call Lieutenant Kotler in Chapter Seven: "How Mother Took Credit for Something that She Hadn't Done"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gretel go about attempting to cheer up her brother in Chapter Three: "The Hopeless Case"?
2. How does Bruno compare his new home to his old one in Chapter Two: "The New House"?
3. What leads Bruno to go exploring in Chapter Nine: "Bruno Remembers that He Used to Enjoy Exploration"? Where does he first go?
4. How is the setting beyond the fence described in Chapter Three: "The Hopeless Case"?
5. How old is Gretel in Chapter Four: "What they Saw through the Window"? How does Bruno feel about his sister?
6. Whom does Bruno ask for help in finding a tire in Chapter Seven: "How Mother Took Credit for Something that She Hadn't Done"? Why?
7. How is the character of Shmuel described in Chapter Ten: "The Dot that Became a Speck that Became a Blob that Became a Figure that Became a Boy"?
8. What does Bruno tell Maria about regarding the move in Chapter Six: "The Overpaid Maid"?
9. What does Bruno show Gretel in his room in Chapter Three: "The Hopeless Case"? How does Gretel respond?
10. How would you describe the character of Bruno based on the reading of Chapter One: "Bruno Makes a Discovery"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Bruno’s impressions of Herr Lizst in the narrative. How old is Herr Liszt? Where does this character live in relation to Bruno’s home at Out-With? What subjects does Herr Liszt stress the importance of to Bruno?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of Berlin in Nazi Germany in the late 1930s and early 1940s. Against whom were the Germans fighting in World War II? When did the Third Reich begin? How is the setting described in Chapter One: "Bruno Makes a Discovery"?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Bruno’s mother in The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Approximately how old do you think Bruno’s mother is? How is her appearance described? What are Bruno’s mother’s actions, objectives, and obstacles seen in the story?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)