|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Shmuel tell Bruno he wants to work when he grows up in Chapter Thirteen: "The Bottle of Wine"?
(a) In a hospital.
(b) In a school.
(c) In a cathedral.
(d) In a zoo.
2. How is the Fury’s moustache described in Chapter Eleven: "The Fury"?
3. What is Bruno’s father’s title in the military?
4. Who admits to missing Berlin first in Chapter Seventeen: "Mother Gets Her Own Way"?
(c) Herr Liszt.
5. What happens when Bruno watches a dog on the other side of the fence in Chapter Fifteen: "Something He Shouldn't Have Done"?
(a) Lieutenant Kotler shoots into the air.
(b) Lieutenant Kotler kicks the dog.
(c) Lieutenant Kotler screams.
(d) Lieutenant Kotler shoots the dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bruno tells Shmuel about his family’s maid Maria in Chapter Thirteen: "The Bottle of Wine,” he says, “She’s very nice although Father says she’s” what?
2. What does Bruno tell Shmuel he wants to be when he grows up in Chapter Thirteen: "The Bottle of Wine"?
3. At what time does Bruno’s father say the Fury is coming to their house for dinner in the flashback in Chapter Eleven: "The Fury"?
4. What symbol does Bruno describe on his father’s armband in Chapter Twelve: "Shmuel Thinks of an Answer to Bruno's Question"?
5. What language does Gretel tell the Fury she can speak in Chapter Eleven: "The Fury"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as Bruno begins to get ready to leave the camp in Chapter Nineteen: "What Happened the Next Day"?
2. How does Bruno recall the evening that the Fury came to dinner in Chapter Eleven: "The Fury"?
3. How does Gretel’s character evolve in the narrative? What leads to the biggest changes in Gretel’s character?
4. What leads to Lieutenant Kotler’s berating of Shmuel in Chapter Fifteen: "Something He Shouldn't Have Done"?
5. What does Shmuel tell Bruno of his life before the camp in Chapter Twelve: "Shmuel Thinks of an Answer to Bruno's Question"?
6. Who is represented by the character called “the Fury” in the novel?
7. What are Bruno’s impressions when his family returns to Berlin briefly in Chapter Sixteen: "The Haircut"? How has the camp changed when they return?
8. What exchange takes place between Bruno and Lieutenant Kotler in Chapter Fifteen: "Something He Shouldn't Have Done"?
9. What plans do Bruno and Shmuel make for their last day together in Chapter Eighteen: "Thinking Up the Final Adventure"?
10. How does Bruno “let slip” about Shmuel to his sister in Chapter Fourteen: "Bruno Tells a Perfectly Reasonable Lie"? How does he cover up this revelation?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)