|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose seat at the dinner table does the Fury take in Chapter Eleven: "The Fury"?
(a) Gretel’s seat.
(b) Bruno’s father’s seat.
(c) Bruno’s mother’s seat.
(d) Bruno’s seat.
2. What is Bruno’s reply when Shmuel says to him in Chapter Twelve: "Shmuel Thinks of an Answer to Bruno's Question,” “You’re on the wrong side of the fence though”?
(a) “I could crawl under.”
(b) “You could climb over.”
(c) “I could climb over.”
(d) “You could crawl under.”
3. Who shaves Bruno’s head in Chapter Sixteen: "The Haircut"?
(b) Bruno’s mother.
(c) Lieutenant Kotler.
(d) Bruno’s father.
4. During dinner, Bruno decides that it makes him sad to look at whom, in Chapter Thirteen: "The Bottle of Wine"?
(b) Bruno’s father.
5. When Bruno is talking to Gretel in his room in Chapter Fourteen: "Bruno Tells a Perfectly Reasonable Lie,” he recalls the time that who walked in on him in the bathroom?
(a) His teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far in the future does Bruno’s father say that Bruno, Gretel and their mother will return to Berlin in Chapter Seventeen: "Mother Gets Her Own Way"?
2. For how long do the Fury and his date stay at Bruno’s family’s home for dinner in Chapter Eleven: "The Fury"?
3. When does Shmuel say he last saw his father in Chapter Eighteen: "Thinking Up the Final Adventure"?
4. What was Shmuel’s father’s profession prior to coming to Out-With?
5. Whom does Shmuel say he doesn’t like talking about because he scares him in Chapter Thirteen: "The Bottle of Wine"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bruno’s family respond to his disappearance in Chapter Twenty: "The Last Chapter"?
2. How does Bruno go about entering the camp in Chapter Nineteen: "What Happened the Next Day"?
3. How has Bruno’s attitude and impressions of Out-With changed in Chapter Sixteen: "The Haircut"?
4. How does Bruno feel about leaving Out-With in Chapter Seventeen: "Mother Gets Her Own Way"?
5. How does your opinion of Bruno’s father and his role at the camp change throughout the narrative? What is Bruno’s father’s objective?
6. How does Bruno’s father finally figure out what happened to Bruno in Chapter Twenty: "The Last Chapter"?
7. How would you characterize the denouement of the novel in Chapter Twenty: "The Last Chapter"?
8. How is the weather described when Bruno goes to meet Shmuel in Chapter Nineteen: "What Happened the Next Day"?
9. What does Bruno learn about Shmuel’s life on the other side of the fence in Chapter Twelve: "Shmuel Thinks of an Answer to Bruno's Question"?
10. Where does Bruno discover Shmuel in Chapter Fifteen: "Something He Shouldn't Have Done"? What does Bruno offer to Shmuel?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)