|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The people on the other side of the fence are described as being how far from Bruno’s home, as he and Gretel watch from the window in Chapter Four: "What they Saw through the Window"?
(a) 100 feet away.
(b) 20 feet away.
(c) 200 feet away.
(d) 50 feet away.
2. What are the people behind the fence said to be pushing from one side of the camp to the other in Chapter Four: "What they Saw through the Window"?
3. What does Maria tell Bruno she’d always enjoyed at the house in Berlin in Chapter Six: "The Overpaid Maid"?
(a) The attic.
(b) The garden.
(c) The banister.
(d) The basement.
4. Bruno’s Grandmother and Grandfather are said to live in a small flat near what area in Berlin, in Chapter Eight: "Why Grandmother Stormed Out"?
(a) Near the Capitol Building.
(b) Near the old cemetery.
(c) Near the fruit and vegetable stalls.
(d) Near the banker’s district.
5. The oak tree that Bruno finds and decides to put a tire swing in is so old that he imagines it must have been planted when, according to the narrator in Chapter Seven: "How Mother Took Credit for Something that She Hadn't Done"?
(a) The Middle Ages.
(b) During the Inquisition.
(c) Before this century.
(d) Before Biblical days.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the flashback to Christmas in Chapter Eight: "Why Grandmother Stormed Out,” what name does Grandmother call Bruno’s father?
2. What subjects are Bruno said to prefer studying in Chapter Nine: "Bruno Remembers that He Used to Enjoy Exploration"?
3. What is the boy on the other side of the fence doing when Bruno first approaches him in Chapter Ten: "The Dot that Became a Speck that Became a Blob that Became a Figure that Became a Boy"?
4. When does Shmuel say his date of birth is in Chapter Ten: "The Dot that Became a Speck that Became a Blob that Became a Figure that Became a Boy"?
5. Whose father is described as a green-grocer in Chapter One: "Bruno Makes a Discovery"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bruno’s mother feel about her family’s relocation to Out-With? What are her main concerns about this setting?
2. How is Bruno’s relationship to his grandparents described in Chapter Eight: "Why Grandmother Stormed Out"?
3. What does Bruno tell Maria about regarding the move in Chapter Six: "The Overpaid Maid"?
4. What conversation takes place between Bruno and his father regarding their move in Chapter One: "Bruno Makes a Discovery"?
5. What does Bruno show Gretel in his room in Chapter Three: "The Hopeless Case"? How does Gretel respond?
6. How does Bruno go about “making the best of the situation” in Chapter Six: "The Overpaid Maid"?
7. What is Bruno’s father’s position within the German military? What is the reason for his relocation?
8. How does Bruno respond when his father asks him what he thinks of their new home in Chapter Five: "Out of Bounds at All Times and No Exceptions"?
9. What does Maria relate to Bruno of his father’s actions toward her and her mother in Chapter Six: "The Overpaid Maid"?
10. What does Gretel ask about the people in the camp in Chapter Four: "What they Saw through the Window"?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)