|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bruno say is “always wise when you’re exploring” in Chapter Eighteen: "Thinking Up the Final Adventure"?
(a) Staying hidden.
(b) Wearing a costume.
(c) Sending out spies.
(d) Looking for evidence.
2. Shmuel tells Bruno in Chapter Twelve: "Shmuel Thinks of an Answer to Bruno's Question" that when his family was forced to move from their house they moved into another part of what city?
3. When Bruno changes clothes before crossing the fence in Chapter Nineteen: "What Happened the Next Day,” he tells Shmuel that this reminds him of what?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His father.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His mother.
4. What language does Gretel tell the Fury she can speak in Chapter Eleven: "The Fury"?
5. Where does Shmuel tell Bruno he wants to work when he grows up in Chapter Thirteen: "The Bottle of Wine"?
(a) In a school.
(b) In a cathedral.
(c) In a zoo.
(d) In a hospital.
6. Who admits to missing Berlin first in Chapter Seventeen: "Mother Gets Her Own Way"?
(d) Herr Liszt.
7. On what evening does Bruno’s father say the Fury is coming to dinner in the flashback in Chapter Eleven: "The Fury"?
8. What was Shmuel’s father’s profession prior to coming to Out-With?
(a) He was a butcher.
(b) He was a bank teller.
(c) He was a watchmaker.
(d) He was a rabbi.
9. What is Gretel said to arrange and rearrange in her bedroom in her free time in Chapter Fourteen: "Bruno Tells a Perfectly Reasonable Lie"?
(a) Her jewelry.
(b) Her dresses.
(c) Her dolls.
(d) Her stuffed animals.
10. By what name does the Fury call the woman who accompanies him to dinner at Bruno’s house in Chapter Eleven: "The Fury"?
11. For how long does Bruno say he and Shmuel have been meeting and talking to one another in Chapter Eighteen: "Thinking Up the Final Adventure"?
(a) For more than a year.
(b) For over two years.
(c) For more than a month.
(d) For a few weeks.
12. In Chapter Fourteen: "Bruno Tells a Perfectly Reasonable Lie,” the narrator says, “Bruno considered the dilemma he was in. On the one hand his sister and he had one crucial thing in common.” What is this commonality?
(a) “They were rich.”
(b) “They weren’t grownups.”
(c) “They were Nazis.”
(d) “They were smarter than their parents.”
13. On what day does Bruno tell Shmuel he is returning to Berlin in Chapter Eighteen: "Thinking Up the Final Adventure"?
(a) On Thursday.
(b) On Sunday.
(c) On Saturday.
(d) On Friday.
14. During dinner in Chapter Thirteen: "The Bottle of Wine,” Bruno complains that Herr Liszt won’t let them read what?
(a) German books.
(b) Plays or poetry.
(c) Science books.
(d) History books.
15. What does Bruno’s father discover about the fence in Chapter Twenty: "The Last Chapter"?
(a) It is electrified.
(b) It is properly secured at all locations.
(c) It has been burned away where Bruno entered.
(d) It is not properly secured where Bruno’s clothes were found.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of alcohol does Bruno’s mother drink “medicinally” in the novel?
2. What is no longer displayed in Gretel’s room in Chapter Sixteen: "The Haircut"?
3. Gretel tells Bruno in Chapter Sixteen: "The Haircut" that the people on the other side of the fence are all what?
4. What does Bruno’s father say has happened to Bruno’s grandfather in Chapter Seventeen: "Mother Gets Her Own Way"?
5. How old has Gretel turned on her recent birthday in Chapter Fourteen: "Bruno Tells a Perfectly Reasonable Lie"?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)