|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what country was the concentration camp set where Bruno lived with his family in The Boy in the Striped Pajamas?
2. When Bruno crosses to the other side of the fence in Chapter Nineteen: "What Happened the Next Day,” he is surprised that the grownups are not doing what?
(a) Sitting in rocking chairs on their porches.
(b) Marching like the soldiers.
(c) Pushing wheelbarrows back and forth.
(d) Smoking pipes and singing songs.
3. Whose seat at the dinner table does the Fury take in Chapter Eleven: "The Fury"?
(a) Bruno’s mother’s seat.
(b) Bruno’s father’s seat.
(c) Bruno’s seat.
(d) Gretel’s seat.
4. When does Shmuel say he last saw his father in Chapter Eighteen: "Thinking Up the Final Adventure"?
5. Shmuel tells Bruno in Chapter Thirteen: "The Bottle of Wine" that most of the people on his side of the fence are from Poland, but there are others from what country?
6. Where is Lieutenant Kotler’s father said to have relocated after leaving Germany in Chapter Fourteen: "Bruno Tells a Perfectly Reasonable Lie"?
(b) The United States.
7. How is the Fury’s moustache described in Chapter Eleven: "The Fury"?
8. What is Bruno’s father’s title in the military?
9. What does Bruno say is “always wise when you’re exploring” in Chapter Eighteen: "Thinking Up the Final Adventure"?
(a) Looking for evidence.
(b) Sending out spies.
(c) Staying hidden.
(d) Wearing a costume.
10. How many glasses are in Bruno’s mother’s fancy set that are being cleaned for the party in Chapter Fifteen: "Something He Shouldn't Have Done"?
11. Whom does Shmuel say he doesn’t like talking about because he scares him in Chapter Thirteen: "The Bottle of Wine"?
(a) Lieutenant Kotler.
(b) Bruno’s father.
(c) Herr Liszt.
(d) Herr Roller.
12. At what time does Bruno’s father say the Fury is coming to their house for dinner in the flashback in Chapter Eleven: "The Fury"?
13. After Bruno has let slip that he has a friend named Shmuel in Chapter Fourteen: "Bruno Tells a Perfectly Reasonable Lie,” how does he go about covering it up from Gretel?
(a) He tells her Shmuel is an imaginary friend.
(b) He tells her Shmuel is a stray dog.
(c) He tells her Shmuel is a pen-pal.
(d) He tells her Shmuel is his brother’s name.
14. Bruno points out that there are hundreds of children on the other side of the fence, all wearing what, in Chapter Seventeen: "Mother Gets Her Own Way"?
(a) Winter coats.
(b) Striped pajamas.
(c) No clothes.
(d) Soldier’s uniforms.
15. What was Shmuel’s father’s profession prior to coming to Out-With?
(a) He was a watchmaker.
(b) He was a butcher.
(c) He was a bank teller.
(d) He was a rabbi.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long does Bruno say he and Shmuel have been meeting and talking to one another in Chapter Eighteen: "Thinking Up the Final Adventure"?
2. When Bruno’s head has been shaved in Chapter Sixteen: "The Haircut,” his father tells him the hair will grow back in how much time?
3. Who shaves Bruno’s head in Chapter Sixteen: "The Haircut"?
4. During dinner, Bruno decides that it makes him sad to look at whom, in Chapter Thirteen: "The Bottle of Wine"?
5. How long does Bruno’s mother stay in Out-With looking for Bruno before finally returning to Berlin in Chapter Twenty: "The Last Chapter"?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)