|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Shmuel say his brother’s name is in Chapter Twelve: "Shmuel Thinks of an Answer to Bruno's Question"?
2. When Bruno crosses to the other side of the fence in Chapter Nineteen: "What Happened the Next Day,” he is surprised that the grownups are not doing what?
(a) Smoking pipes and singing songs.
(b) Marching like the soldiers.
(c) Pushing wheelbarrows back and forth.
(d) Sitting in rocking chairs on their porches.
3. Bruno suggests to Shmuel that what has likely happened to his father in Chapter Eighteen: "Thinking Up the Final Adventure"?
(a) He’s been promoted to a soldier’s rank.
(b) He’s been murdered.
(c) He’s been sent to another town to work.
(d) He's been set free.
4. What does Bruno dress in when he leaves to meet Shmuel in Chapter Nineteen: "What Happened the Next Day"?
(a) A swimsuit.
(b) A light jacket and shorts.
(c) A raincoat and boots.
(d) A winter coat and boots.
5. What does Gretel do every day once she and her mother return to Berlin in Chapter Twenty: "The Last Chapter"?
(a) Writes letters to Lieutenant Kotler.
(b) Cries in her room.
(c) Looks at her maps.
(d) Plays with her dolls.
6. Where have Bruno and Shmuel been taken presumably in the end of Chapter Nineteen: "What Happened the Next Day"?
(a) An underground tunnel to freedom.
(b) A train depot.
(c) A gas chamber.
(d) A port authority.
7. How did Adolf Hitler die?
(a) He died in a car accident.
(b) He committed suicide.
(c) He was killed by firing squad.
(d) He was hung.
8. For how long does Bruno say he and Shmuel have been meeting and talking to one another in Chapter Eighteen: "Thinking Up the Final Adventure"?
(a) For over two years.
(b) For a few weeks.
(c) For more than a month.
(d) For more than a year.
9. What does Bruno’s father discover about the fence in Chapter Twenty: "The Last Chapter"?
(a) It is not properly secured where Bruno’s clothes were found.
(b) It has been burned away where Bruno entered.
(c) It is properly secured at all locations.
(d) It is electrified.
10. What book is Bruno carrying that his father recently gave him in Chapter Fifteen: "Something He Shouldn't Have Done"?
(a) The Catcher in the Rye.
(b) The Iliad.
(c) Treasure Island.
(d) The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
11. When Bruno is talking to Gretel in his room in Chapter Fourteen: "Bruno Tells a Perfectly Reasonable Lie,” he recalls the time that who walked in on him in the bathroom?
(a) His teacher.
12. Who shaves Bruno’s head in Chapter Sixteen: "The Haircut"?
(a) Bruno’s father.
(b) Lieutenant Kotler.
(c) Bruno’s mother.
13. What did Gretel leave behind in Out-With when she and her mother returned to Berlin in Chapter Twenty: "The Last Chapter"?
(a) Her magazines.
(b) Her locket.
(c) Her dresses.
(d) Her maps.
14. Shmuel tells Bruno in Chapter Thirteen: "The Bottle of Wine" that most of the people on his side of the fence are from Poland, but there are others from what country?
15. What is the name of the boy who frequently hit Shmuel when his family was relocated to the ghetto in Chapter Twelve: "Shmuel Thinks of an Answer to Bruno's Question"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bruno’s father’s title in the military?
2. On what evening does Bruno’s father say the Fury is coming to dinner in the flashback in Chapter Eleven: "The Fury"?
3. Who in Bruno’s family also contracts lice in Chapter Sixteen: "The Haircut"?
4. What does Bruno offer to do in order to help Shmuel in Chapter Eighteen: "Thinking Up the Final Adventure"?
5. When Bruno tells Shmuel about his family’s maid Maria in Chapter Thirteen: "The Bottle of Wine,” he says, “She’s very nice although Father says she’s” what?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)