|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language does Gretel tell the Fury she can speak in Chapter Eleven: "The Fury"?
2. During dinner, Bruno decides that it makes him sad to look at whom, in Chapter Thirteen: "The Bottle of Wine"?
(c) Bruno’s father.
3. What is Gretel said to arrange and rearrange in her bedroom in her free time in Chapter Fourteen: "Bruno Tells a Perfectly Reasonable Lie"?
(a) Her jewelry.
(b) Her dolls.
(c) Her stuffed animals.
(d) Her dresses.
4. Who in Bruno’s family also contracts lice in Chapter Sixteen: "The Haircut"?
(a) Bruno’s mother.
(c) Bruno’s grandmother.
(d) Bruno’s father.
5. Where have Bruno and Shmuel been taken presumably in the end of Chapter Nineteen: "What Happened the Next Day"?
(a) A port authority.
(b) A train depot.
(c) An underground tunnel to freedom.
(d) A gas chamber.
6. Who were the Americans allied with during World War II?
(a) The Allied Powers.
(b) The Axis Powers.
(c) The NATO Powers.
(d) The Obligatory Powers.
7. During dinner in Chapter Thirteen: "The Bottle of Wine,” Bruno complains that Herr Liszt won’t let them read what?
(a) German books.
(b) Plays or poetry.
(c) History books.
(d) Science books.
8. The narrator says of Bruno in Chapter Fifteen: "Something He Shouldn't Have Done,” that he “had been spending more time with Gretel lately and had developed a liking for” what?
(a) “Lieutenant Kotler.”
9. What kind of alcohol does Bruno’s mother drink “medicinally” in the novel?
10. What food has Bruno brought to Shmuel when they meet by the fence in the opening of Chapter Eighteen: "Thinking Up the Final Adventure"?
(a) Cheese and cake.
(b) Cookies and a sandwich.
(c) Bread and an apple.
(d) Chocolate cake.
11. When did World War II end in Europe?
12. How is the weather described when Bruno waked up in the beginning of Chapter Nineteen: "What Happened the Next Day"?
(a) Cold and dry.
13. What does Gretel spend her spare time doing in the weeks that pass in Chapter Seventeen: "Mother Gets Her Own Way"?
(a) Reading romance novels.
(b) Playing with makeup.
(c) Playing with her dolls.
(d) Reading newspapers.
14. What is cooking for dinner when Bruno arrives home in Chapter Twelve: "Shmuel Thinks of an Answer to Bruno's Question"?
(a) Roast lamb.
(b) Roast goose.
(c) Roast chicken.
(d) Roast beef.
15. How long does Bruno’s family stay in Berlin when they return for Grandmother’s funeral in Chapter Sixteen: "The Haircut"?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 8 days.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 1 week.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shmuel promise to bring to Bruno when they meet for the last time in Chapter Eighteen: "Thinking Up the Final Adventure"?
2. What book is Bruno carrying that his father recently gave him in Chapter Fifteen: "Something He Shouldn't Have Done"?
3. What has Gretel hung on her bedroom walls in Chapter Sixteen: "The Haircut"?
4. What did Gretel leave behind in Out-With when she and her mother returned to Berlin in Chapter Twenty: "The Last Chapter"?
5. Shmuel tells Bruno in Chapter Twelve: "Shmuel Thinks of an Answer to Bruno's Question" that when his family was forced to move from their house they moved into another part of what city?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)