|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gretel’s conclusion about the “children” next door and where they have moved is what, in Chapter Four: "What they Saw through the Window"?
(a) “This must be Poland.”
(b) “This must be a concentration camp.”
(c) “This must be the countryside.”
(d) “This must be a prison.”
2. Why can Gretel not see “the children” from her own bedroom window in Chapter Three: "The Hopeless Case"?
(a) It is covered with boards on the outside.
(b) It faces the front of the house.
(c) It is too high to see out of.
(d) She has no window in her room.
3. Bruno tells Shmuel in Chapter Ten: "The Dot that Became a Speck that Became a Blob that Became a Figure that Became a Boy" that his name sounds like what?
(a) “It sounds like a car screeching on pavement.”
(b) “It sounds like someone who’s rubbing their arms to keep warm.”
(c) “It sounds like the wind blowing.”
(d) “It sounds like logs crackling in a warm fireplace.”
4. Bruno says in Chapter Four: "What they Saw through the Window" that in Berlin on their quiet street they only had how many houses?
5. Maria tells Bruno in Chapter Six: "The Overpaid Maid,” “We must all just keep ourselves safe until this is all over. That’s what I intend to do anyway. What more can we do than that after all? It’s not up to us to” what?
(a) “Fix the world.”
(b) “Argue with Father.”
(c) “Change things.”
(d) “Save these people.”
6. What does Shmuel say his mother is in Chapter Ten: "The Dot that Became a Speck that Became a Blob that Became a Figure that Became a Boy"?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A painter.
7. Bruno angers his father in Chapter Five: "Out of Bounds at All Times and No Exceptions" by suggesting that his father do what?
(a) Apologize to the Fury.
(b) Divorce his mother.
(c) Move to the United States.
(d) Send him to live with Grandmother.
8. What is Gretel’s answer when Bruno asks her in Chapter Three: "The Hopeless Case,” “What is foreseeable future exactly?”
(a) “It means just a few days.”
(b) “It means in at least a year.”
(c) “It means weeks from now.”
(d) “It means a few months.”
9. What is the young soldier carrying downstairs when Bruno first sees him in Chapter Two: "The New House"?
(a) A bouquet.
(b) A doll.
(c) A gun.
(d) A box.
10. How is Bruno’s Grandmother’s hair described in Chapter Eight: "Why Grandmother Stormed Out"?
(a) Long and black.
(b) Short and blond.
(c) Long and red.
(d) Short and gray.
11. How old was Bruno’s Grandfather said to be when Bruno’s family left for Out-With?
(a) Almost 90.
(b) Almost 73.
(c) Almost 70.
(d) Almost 84.
12. What is described as being directly underneath Bruno’s window in Chapter Four: "What they Saw through the Window"?
(a) A goldfish pond.
(b) A garden.
(c) A fountain.
(d) A bench.
13. What does Bruno arrive home to find the maid Maria doing in the opening of Chapter One: "Bruno Makes a Discovery"?
(a) Weeping uncontrollably.
(b) Trying to start the car engine.
(c) Killing a mouse in the kitchen.
(d) Packing his belongings.
14. What had been Bruno’s grandmother’s employment in her youth?
(a) She was a singer.
(b) She was a painter.
(c) She was a secretary.
(d) She was an acrobat.
15. How many floors in total is Bruno’s house in Berlin said to be, including the basement, in Chapter One: "Bruno Makes a Discovery"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What Italian explorer and cartographer, who first demonstrated that Brazil and the West Indies did not represent Asia's eastern outskirts, does Bruno describe learning about in Chapter Nine: "Bruno Remembers that He Used to Enjoy Exploration"?
2. What does Bruno consider to be the best thing about his house in Berlin, according to the author in Chapter One: "Bruno Makes a Discovery"?
3. Bruno says alone to himself in his room in the beginning of Chapter Six: "The Overpaid Maid,” “I hate this house, I hate my room and I even hate” what?
4. Whom does Bruno complain to about the move his family has made in his new bedroom in Chapter Two: "The New House"?
5. Bruno’s sister Gretel is described as having a large collection of what toys in Chapter Three: "The Hopeless Case"?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)