|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bruno consider to be the best thing about his house in Berlin, according to the author in Chapter One: "Bruno Makes a Discovery"?
(a) The garden.
(b) The banister.
(c) The tree house.
(d) The moat.
2. Where does Shmuel tell Bruno he’s from in Chapter Ten: "The Dot that Became a Speck that Became a Blob that Became a Figure that Became a Boy"?
3. What song is Bruno’s Grandmother said to have always sung at parties in Chapter Eight: "Why Grandmother Stormed Out"?
(a) Maria Elena.
(b) La Vie en Rose.
(c) Song of the Volga Boatmen.
(d) My Sister and I.
4. On what date does Bruno say he was born in Chapter Nine: "Bruno Remembers that He Used to Enjoy Exploration"?
(a) September 14, 1935.
(b) June 30, 1933.
(c) April 15, 1934.
(d) July 7, 1934.
5. Maria tells Bruno in Chapter Six: "The Overpaid Maid,” “We must all just keep ourselves safe until this is all over. That’s what I intend to do anyway. What more can we do than that after all? It’s not up to us to” what?
(a) “Fix the world.”
(b) “Change things.”
(c) “Argue with Father.”
(d) “Save these people.”
6. Where does Bruno find the rope needed to build his tire swing in Chapter Seven: "How Mother Took Credit for Something that She Hadn't Done"?
(a) In the shed.
(b) The basement.
(c) The attic.
(d) In Gretel’s room.
7. The official car that drove Bruno and his family to the train station when they left Berlin is described in Chapter Five: "Out of Bounds at All Times and No Exceptions" as having what color flags on the front?
(a) Red and blue.
(b) Green and white.
(c) Red and black.
(d) Blue and green.
8. What is the bicycle called that is ridden by Bruno’s tutor when he arrives in Chapter Nine: "Bruno Remembers that He Used to Enjoy Exploration"?
(a) A high-wheel.
(b) A boneshaker.
(c) A velocipede.
(d) A penny-farthing.
9. What are the names of Gretel’s friends that she says she misses back in Berlin in Chapter Three: "The Hopeless Case"?
(a) Hilda, Isobel, and Louise.
(b) Jennifer, Michelle, and Jessica.
(c) Christine, Helga, and Katherine.
(d) Sara, Janet, and Opal.
10. How does Bruno define his father’s office in the story, both in Berlin and in Out-With?
(a) “Enter At Your Own Risk.”
(b) “On Strict Orders of the Fury.”
(c) “A Place Where Top Priority Business Occurs.”
(d) “Out Of Bounds At All Times And No Exceptions.”
11. The boy on the other side of the fence is described as having eyes the color of what in Chapter Ten: "The Dot that Became a Speck that Became a Blob that Became a Figure that Became a Boy"?
(a) Cotton candy.
(b) The ocean.
(c) Brushed wheat.
(d) Caramel sweets.
12. Whose father is described as a green-grocer in Chapter One: "Bruno Makes a Discovery"?
13. The bronze plaque on the bench that Bruno spies from his window states that “Out-With Camp” was established when?
(a) June 1940.
(b) September 1938.
(c) July 1941.
(d) July 1942.
14. What does Bruno arrive home to find the maid Maria doing in the opening of Chapter One: "Bruno Makes a Discovery"?
(a) Packing his belongings.
(b) Trying to start the car engine.
(c) Weeping uncontrollably.
(d) Killing a mouse in the kitchen.
15. What is the name of the tutor who arrives to teach Bruno and Gretel in Chapter Nine: "Bruno Remembers that He Used to Enjoy Exploration"?
(a) Herr Liszt.
(b) Herr Roller.
(c) Herr Lindt.
(d) Herr Rosswald.
Short Answer Questions
1. The people on the other side of the fence are described as being how far from Bruno’s home, as he and Gretel watch from the window in Chapter Four: "What they Saw through the Window"?
2. Gretel is how many years older than Bruno in the novel?
3. What covers the walls in Bruno’s father’s office in Chapter Five: "Out of Bounds at All Times and No Exceptions"?
4. Bruno tells Maria in Chapter Six: "The Overpaid Maid,” “Well, you’ve been brought here against your will, just like I have. If you ask me, we’re all in the same boat. And it’s” what?
5. How old is Bruno’s Grandmother said to be in Chapter Eight: "Why Grandmother Stormed Out"?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)