|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bruno define his father’s office in the story, both in Berlin and in Out-With?
(a) “Enter At Your Own Risk.”
(b) “On Strict Orders of the Fury.”
(c) “Out Of Bounds At All Times And No Exceptions.”
(d) “A Place Where Top Priority Business Occurs.”
2. The narrator says in Chapter Seven: "How Mother Took Credit for Something that She Hadn't Done,” that “Bruno had only known one person whom he considered to be mad and that was” whom?
(a) Herr Roller.
(b) Herr Walker.
(c) Herr Rothbaum.
(d) Herr Liszt.
3. The bronze plaque on the bench that Bruno spies from his window states that “Out-With Camp” was established when?
(a) July 1942.
(b) June 1940.
(c) July 1941.
(d) September 1938.
4. By what name does Gretel call Lieutenant Kotler in Chapter Seven: "How Mother Took Credit for Something that She Hadn't Done"?
5. How is the woman described that came to dinner with the Fury at Bruno’s house in Berlin in Chapter Eight: "Why Grandmother Stormed Out"?
(a) Beautiful and blond.
(b) Short and redheaded.
(c) Old and gray-haired.
(d) Tall and dark-haired.
6. Gretel explains to Bruno in Chapter Three: "The Hopeless Case" that “Out-With” is the name of what?
(a) The country.
(b) The garden.
(c) The house.
(d) The town.
7. Bruno’s family’s house in Berlin “didn’t even have a name; it was just called” what, according to the narrator in Chapter Three: "The Hopeless Case"?
(a) “Number five.”
(b) “Number four.”
(c) “Number six.”
(d) “Number seven.”
8. One of the soldiers speaking to Bruno’s father is overheard in Chapter Five: "Out of Bounds at All Times and No Exceptions" saying, “We have lacked efficiency since the start of” what year?
9. Whom does Bruno complain to about the move his family has made in his new bedroom in Chapter Two: "The New House"?
10. On what date does Bruno say he was born in Chapter Nine: "Bruno Remembers that He Used to Enjoy Exploration"?
(a) July 7, 1934.
(b) June 30, 1933.
(c) April 15, 1934.
(d) September 14, 1935.
11. What does Maria say that Bruno’s father did for her mother after Maria had been working for the family a short time in Chapter Six: "The Overpaid Maid"?
(a) He revised her paperwork so she would not appear Jewish.
(b) He helped hide her from the Nazis.
(c) He paid for her medical care and funeral.
(d) He sent her to Switzerland to recover.
12. How many floors in total is Bruno’s house in Berlin said to be, including the basement, in Chapter One: "Bruno Makes a Discovery"?
13. The boy on the other side of the fence is described as having eyes the color of what in Chapter Ten: "The Dot that Became a Speck that Became a Blob that Became a Figure that Became a Boy"?
(a) The ocean.
(b) Cotton candy.
(c) Brushed wheat.
(d) Caramel sweets.
14. What color hair is Bruno’s mother described as having in Chapter One: "Bruno Makes a Discovery"?
15. What are the people behind the fence said to be pushing from one side of the camp to the other in Chapter Four: "What they Saw through the Window"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gretel’s answer when Bruno asks her in Chapter Three: "The Hopeless Case,” “What is foreseeable future exactly?”
2. For how long does Bruno say he’s been exploring when he meets the boy on the other side of the fence in Chapter Ten: "The Dot that Became a Speck that Became a Blob that Became a Figure that Became a Boy"?
3. How old was Bruno’s Grandfather said to be when Bruno’s family left for Out-With?
4. How many floors, including the basement, comprise Bruno’s family’s new home in Out-With?
5. What subjects are Bruno said to prefer studying in Chapter Nine: "Bruno Remembers that He Used to Enjoy Exploration"?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)