|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What covers the walls in Bruno’s father’s office in Chapter Five: "Out of Bounds at All Times and No Exceptions"?
(a) Mahogany bookshelves.
(b) Dark draperies.
(c) Photographs of Hitler.
(d) Maps and battle plans.
2. Bruno discovers that Pavel had what profession prior to becoming a servant in his home in Chapter Seven: "How Mother Took Credit for Something that She Hadn't Done"?
(a) He was a doctor.
(b) He was a butcher.
(c) He was a policeman.
(d) He was a lawyer.
3. What does Shmuel say his mother is in Chapter Ten: "The Dot that Became a Speck that Became a Blob that Became a Figure that Became a Boy"?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A painter.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A doctor.
4. The bronze plaque on the bench that Bruno spies from his window states that “Out-With Camp” was established when?
(a) September 1938.
(b) July 1941.
(c) July 1942.
(d) June 1940.
5. What color hair is Bruno’s mother described as having in Chapter One: "Bruno Makes a Discovery"?
6. Bruno tells Maria in Chapter Six: "The Overpaid Maid,” “Well, you’ve been brought here against your will, just like I have. If you ask me, we’re all in the same boat. And it’s” what?
(b) “Turning to mutiny.”
7. Why can Gretel not see “the children” from her own bedroom window in Chapter Three: "The Hopeless Case"?
(a) It is covered with boards on the outside.
(b) She has no window in her room.
(c) It faces the front of the house.
(d) It is too high to see out of.
8. The people on the other side of the fence are described as being how far from Bruno’s home, as he and Gretel watch from the window in Chapter Four: "What they Saw through the Window"?
(a) 100 feet away.
(b) 50 feet away.
(c) 200 feet away.
(d) 20 feet away.
9. What subjects is Bruno’s tutor said to be “particularly fond of” in Chapter Nine: "Bruno Remembers that He Used to Enjoy Exploration"?
(a) Science and mathematics.
(b) History and geography.
(c) Music and dance.
(d) Reading and art.
10. How is Bruno’s Grandmother’s hair described in Chapter Eight: "Why Grandmother Stormed Out"?
(a) Short and blond.
(b) Short and gray.
(c) Long and black.
(d) Long and red.
11. What two words comprised the common Nazi salute during the Third Reich?
(a) “Heil Hitler.”
(b) “Hich Nazi.”
(c) “Semper fidelis.”
(d) “Nazi Furor.”
12. Whom does Bruno recall his mother having said they “never should have let come to dinner” in his memory of leaving their home in Berlin in Chapter Five: "Out of Bounds at All Times and No Exceptions"?
(b) “The Fury.”
(d) “The President.”
13. On what date does Bruno say he was born in Chapter Nine: "Bruno Remembers that He Used to Enjoy Exploration"?
(a) June 30, 1933.
(b) July 7, 1934.
(c) April 15, 1934.
(d) September 14, 1935.
14. When Bruno takes his sister Gretel to look out of his bedroom window, Maria comes charging out carrying what in Chapter Three: "The Hopeless Case"?
(a) A dead mouse.
(b) A feral cat.
(c) A dust cloth.
(d) A suitcase.
15. How old is Bruno’s Grandmother said to be in Chapter Eight: "Why Grandmother Stormed Out"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the names of the three best friends of Bruno’s that he must leave behind in Berlin?
2. Gretel explains to Bruno in Chapter Three: "The Hopeless Case" that “Out-With” is the name of what?
3. Lieutenant Kotler tells Bruno in Chapter Seven: "How Mother Took Credit for Something that She Hadn't Done" that the only spare tire he’s seen around recently belongs to whom?
4. The oak tree that Bruno finds and decides to put a tire swing in is so old that he imagines it must have been planted when, according to the narrator in Chapter Seven: "How Mother Took Credit for Something that She Hadn't Done"?
5. What is described as being directly underneath Bruno’s window in Chapter Four: "What they Saw through the Window"?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)