|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Shmuel tell Bruno, “That’s a question you never have to ask me” in Chapter Fifteen: "Something He Shouldn't Have Done"?
(a) “Are you hungry?”
(b) “Do you want to play?”
(c) “Are you tired?”
(d) “Are you working?”
2. What does Bruno take from the kitchen to give to Shmuel in the beginning of Chapter Thirteen: "The Bottle of Wine"?
(a) Chicken and sausage.
(b) Cake and berries.
(c) Bread and cheese.
(d) An apple and a pear.
3. Lieutenant Kotler tells Bruno in Chapter Seven: "How Mother Took Credit for Something that She Hadn't Done" that the only spare tire he’s seen around recently belongs to whom?
(a) Herr Liszt.
(b) Herr Roller.
(c) Commandant Schneider.
(d) Sergeant Hoffschneider.
4. What subjects are Bruno said to prefer studying in Chapter Nine: "Bruno Remembers that He Used to Enjoy Exploration"?
(a) History and geography.
(b) Science and mathematics.
(c) Music and dance.
(d) Reading and art.
5. What had been Bruno’s grandmother’s employment in her youth?
(a) She was a painter.
(b) She was a secretary.
(c) She was a singer.
(d) She was an acrobat.
Short Answer Questions
1. The oak tree that Bruno finds and decides to put a tire swing in is so old that he imagines it must have been planted when, according to the narrator in Chapter Seven: "How Mother Took Credit for Something that She Hadn't Done"?
2. For how long does Bruno say he’s been exploring when he meets the boy on the other side of the fence in Chapter Ten: "The Dot that Became a Speck that Became a Blob that Became a Figure that Became a Boy"?
3. Gretel explains to Bruno in Chapter Three: "The Hopeless Case" that “Out-With” is the name of what?
4. The narrator says of Bruno in Chapter Fifteen: "Something He Shouldn't Have Done,” that he “had been spending more time with Gretel lately and had developed a liking for” what?
5. How far in the future does Bruno’s father say that Bruno, Gretel and their mother will return to Berlin in Chapter Seventeen: "Mother Gets Her Own Way"?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)