|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rossi give Freda and Brenda the rest of the day off?
2. What event is Freda looking forward to?
3. Which of the following things does Freda NOT do with Vittorio?
4. Who does Freda talk to about Brenda?
5. Which of the following does Maria NOT see in Freda's fortune?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Freda ask Brenda to steal from the factory?
2. Who is Rossi and how does he behave toward Brenda?
3. How does the author show that the factory workers are very poor?
4. Who is Patrick and how does he become involved in Brenda and Freda's lives?
5. Describe Freda.
6. What are Freda's dreams about a life with Vittorio and how is the outing her last hope to achieve them?
7. How has the gunshot incident affected Freda's outlook and mood?
8. What does Freda enjoy about arriving at the factory each morning?
9. Who is Maria and what is her attachment to Freda?
10. What is Freda's demeanor following the gunshot incident at the apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Brenda. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this novel. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of the poor workers in the mid-1970s when the men in the story are living their adult lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they enjoy that 21st century men do not?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)