|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Freda talk to about Brenda?
2. What does Mrs. Haddon try to do to Brenda?
3. What s Freda's mood at the beginning of Chapter 4?
4. What does Freda do that embarrasses Brenda?
5. Where did Freda and Brenda meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Freda's reaction when she learns that she and Brenda have been given the afternoon off due to the "death" of Freda's mother?
2. What is Freda's demeanor following the gunshot incident at the apartment?
3. What does Freda enjoy about arriving at the factory each morning?
4. How does Brenda react when Patrick comes to the apartment?
5. Despite of her feelings of jealousy, how does Brenda feel herself coming back to life?
6. What are Freda's motivations for her behavior regarding Brenda?
7. How are the differences in Freda and Brenda apparent as they watch the funeral from the window?
8. What embarrassing habit does Brenda have that annoys Freda?
9. How does the author use foreshadowing in Maria's reading fortunes in tea leaves?
10. What are Freda and Brenda doing as the story opens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Brenda, Vittorio, Rossi and Patrick. Be sure to incorporate the characters' emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, etc.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of death. Identify at least two instances about death in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the social, cultural and economic gap that occurs between the Italian factory workers and their English counterparts. What disadvantages do the Italian workers have? Why do they seem to be pleased with their meager lives? What lessons can be learned from the Italian workers? Explain.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)