|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Freda and Brenda looking at when the story begins?
2. Whose fortune does Maria read in tea leaves?
3. What makes Freda almost giddy now?
4. What does Maria find in the box of clothes to wear on the outing?
5. What is unusual about the Italian men working at the factory?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Brenda react when Patrick comes to the apartment?
2. What has Freda discussed with Rossi regarding Brenda?
3. How does the author show that the factory workers are very poor?
4. What are Freda's motivations for her behavior regarding Brenda?
5. How has the gunshot incident affected Freda's outlook and mood?
6. What is Freda's demeanor following the gunshot incident at the apartment?
7. What are Freda and Brenda doing as the story opens?
8. Who is Rossi and how does he behave toward Brenda?
9. How are the differences in Freda and Brenda apparent as they watch the funeral from the window?
10. What embarrassing habit does Brenda have that annoys Freda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of the poor workers in the mid-1970s when the men in the story are living their adult lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they enjoy that 21st century men do not?
Essay Topic 2
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the Queen's funeral horses. What do the horses symbolize for Freda? What do they mean for group at large? What does it mean that Vittorio seems happy to see Freda on one of the horses? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Vittorio. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)