|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Michael Holtzapfel's body found?
2. Which of the following characters does NOT try to bully Frau Holtzapfel into the air raid shelter when she refuses to go?
3. What does Hans offer to the starving Jewish soldier he sees being marched through the streets?
4. After their raid with Viktor Chemmel, how many apples are Liesel and Rudy given as payment?
5. How long has Max been hiding in the basement before he sees the sky?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hans suddenly begin working again during the summer of 1942?
2. How does Michael Holtzapfel die?
3. What happens when Frau Hermann finally confronts Liesel about stealing from her library?
4. Why is Max forced to leave the Hubermann house?
5. Why does Liesel bring snow into the basement during winter?
6. What relationship does Liesel have with the book "The Whistler"?
7. Why does Frau Holtzapfel suddenly stop going to the bomb shelter during air raid drills?
8. What happens when Rudy sees an airplane go down outside the bomb shelter?
9. How does Rudy perform at the summer Hitler Youth carnival?
10. What does the LSE do during the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hans manages to survive both World Wars even though he fought in both. First, describe how Hans managed to survive the first World War. Then, compare / contrast that to the way Hans managed to survive the second World War. What does Hans' knack for survival tell the reader about his character?
Essay Topic 2
Adolf Hitler's book "Mein Kampf" is a very important prop in the plot of this novel. First, describe what message Hitler was trying to send to the German people with his book. Then, give at least two examples of scenes in which characters from the novel use "Mein Kampf" as a tool to aid in the fight against Hitler.
Essay Topic 3
When Max arrives at the Hubermann doorstep, Liesel is sworn to secrecy about his appearance. Why are the Hubermanns so concerned with keeping Max's visit a secret? Does Liesel manage to keep the secret? If so, how and why? If not, what are the effects of her slipped secret?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)