|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Frau Hermann react when she realizes that Liesel is stealing from her?
2. Which character fears that Max has caught an incurable cold?
3. How many gifts does Liesel bring to Max in total during his time of sickness?
4. How does Liesel manage to warn Max about the men trolling the neighborhood, who may discover him?
5. Which of the following adjectives does Liesel use to describe the process of mixing paint?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Liesel save Max from being discovered when the men are trolling the neighborhood inspecting basements?
2. What happens when Viktor Chemmel steals the book Liesel is reading?
3. What happens when Liesel sees Max being marched through town with a Jewish prisoner parade?
4. How does Hans narrowly avoid death during the second World War?
5. How does Liesel come to own a Dictionary and Thesaurus?
6. How does the Hubermann family react during the first air raid drill of the year?
7. Why does Hans suddenly begin working again during the summer of 1942?
8. How does Rudy react to the physical he is forced to undergo at the Nazi school?
9. Why does Frau Holtzapfel suddenly stop going to the bomb shelter during air raid drills?
10. What happens when Frau Hermann finally confronts Liesel about stealing from her library?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hans' relationship with his children is one that haunts him throughout his entire life. First, describe the relationship Hans has with his son, Hans Jr. Then, compare / contrast that to the relationship he has with Liesel. In your opinion, which relationship has a deeper impact on Hans' view of the world? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 2
Rudy's experience within the Hitler Youth Organization was one that haunted him throughout his entire life. First, describe Rudy's initial experiences with the Hitler Youth Organization. Then, explain why Rudy was forced to switch groups at various times throughout his Nazi career. Finally, explain what skill Rudy exhibited, and how the Hitler Youth Organization responded to his unexpected skill.
Essay Topic 3
While Max is living in the Hubermann's basement, he has little to no contact with the outside world. First, describe how Max spends his days while he is confined to the basement. Then, explain how Max manages to catch glimpses, both real and imagined, of what life is like on the outside during his confinement.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)