|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What alcoholic beverage is Hans paid in, which he allows Liesel to drink with him?
2. Why does Rudy pack a toolbox?
3. During what month of the year does Max collapse in the basement?
4. With what weapon are both Hans and the starving prisoner beaten by the guard?
5. Who saves Liesel from being beaten to death by the German soldier guarding Max?
Essay Topic 1
When Max arrives at the Hubermann doorstep, Liesel is sworn to secrecy about his appearance. Why are the Hubermanns so concerned with keeping Max's visit a secret? Does Liesel manage to keep the secret? If so, how and why? If not, what are the effects of her slipped secret?
Essay Topic 2
One of the ways the Nazi soldiers sought to humiliate their Jewish prisoners was to march them in parades through the cities. First, explain what message the Nazis were sending to the villagers with the parades. From the Nazis' point of view, were the parades successful? Why or why not? Finally, explain the various reactions villagers, like Hans and Liesel, had to seeing the prisoners being paraded through their streets.
Essay Topic 3
Hans manages to survive both World Wars even though he fought in both. First, describe how Hans managed to survive the first World War. Then, compare / contrast that to the way Hans managed to survive the second World War. What does Hans' knack for survival tell the reader about his character?
This section contains 1,265 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)