|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Rudy's parents feel when the Nazi party offers Rudy a full scholarship to one of their training schools?
2. What punishment does Hans receive for helping the starving Jew from the parade?
3. What title does Max give to his journal before skipping town?
4. What ethnicity is the pilot whose plane has crashed near the river?
5. How does Hans learn that he has been accepted in the Nazi party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Viktor Chemmel steals the book Liesel is reading?
2. What happens when Liesel sees Max being marched through town with a Jewish prisoner parade?
3. What relationship does Liesel have with the book "The Whistler"?
4. How does Rudy perform at the summer Hitler Youth carnival?
5. Why does Liesel bring snow into the basement during winter?
6. What happens when Frau Hermann finally confronts Liesel about stealing from her library?
7. How is Hans paid for the work he does during the summer of 1942?
8. What fear does Rosa have if Max were to die?
9. Why does Liesel angrily shout at Frau Hermann in the library of her house?
10. How does Michael Holtzapfel die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ilsa Hermann is a woman devastated by loss in her life. First, explain the loss Ilsa Hermann experiences. Then, describe how she attempts to cope with this loss. How does the loss in Ilsa Hermann's life affect her relationship with Liesel?
Essay Topic 2
Adolf Hitler's book "Mein Kampf" is a very important prop in the plot of this novel. First, describe what message Hitler was trying to send to the German people with his book. Then, give at least two examples of scenes in which characters from the novel use "Mein Kampf" as a tool to aid in the fight against Hitler.
Essay Topic 3
Both Liesel and Hans have an artistic talent that brings peace to stressful situations. First, describe both Liesel and Hans' talents. Then, describe at least one situation when these characters use their artistic skill in the attempts to calm a crowd. What is the effect of their attempts?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)