|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Michael write a letter to shortly before his death?
2. What does Liesel accidentally leave behind in the mayor's house while she is robbing him?
3. What does Rudy give to the dying pilot in the hopes of comforting him during death?
4. With what weapon are both Hans and the starving prisoner beaten by the guard?
5. Who breaks the news to Frau Holtzapfel that her son has died?
Essay Topic 1
The book burning at the opening of the novel is an event that has a profound effect on Liesel and her relationship with the written word. First, describe why the Nazis were hosting a book burning in the first place, and what they hoped to accomplish during this event. Then, explain what inadvertent lessons Liesel learned by attending the event. From Liesel's perspective, was the book burning a success? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Liesel's life undergoes some major changes, starting with the opening chapter of the novel. First, describe what Liesel's familial situation is like at the opening of the novel. Then, describe what her familial situation is like at the end of the novel. What has changed about Liesel's sense of family?
Essay Topic 3
Hans manages to survive both World Wars even though he fought in both. First, describe how Hans managed to survive the first World War. Then, compare / contrast that to the way Hans managed to survive the second World War. What does Hans' knack for survival tell the reader about his character?
This section contains 1,267 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)