|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Michael Holtzapfel's body found?
2. What ethnicity is the pilot whose plane has crashed near the river?
3. How many races does Rudy WIN during the Hitler Youth carnival?
4. What job does Hans take upon returning home from the war?
5. After their raid with Viktor Chemmel, how many apples are Liesel and Rudy given as payment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Frau Hermann finally confronts Liesel about stealing from her library?
2. How does Rudy react to the physical he is forced to undergo at the Nazi school?
3. Why do two men from the Nazi party suddenly show up at Rudy's home to speak with his parents?
4. Why is Max forced to leave the Hubermann house?
5. How does Liesel come to own a Dictionary and Thesaurus?
6. What fear does Rosa have if Max were to die?
7. How does Rudy perform at the summer Hitler Youth carnival?
8. What happens when Viktor Chemmel steals the book Liesel is reading?
9. Why does Liesel bring snow into the basement during winter?
10. What secret code do Liesel and Rosa concoct to communicate about Max in public?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hans manages to survive both World Wars even though he fought in both. First, describe how Hans managed to survive the first World War. Then, compare / contrast that to the way Hans managed to survive the second World War. What does Hans' knack for survival tell the reader about his character?
Essay Topic 2
While he is living in the basement, Max writes two books for Liesel. Describe each of the books in detail. Then, explain what message you think Max intended Liesel to take away from the books. Do you think his messages were received? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
While Max is living in the Hubermann's basement, he has little to no contact with the outside world. First, describe how Max spends his days while he is confined to the basement. Then, explain how Max manages to catch glimpses, both real and imagined, of what life is like on the outside during his confinement.
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)