|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the disgruntled card player die?
2. During their only Christmas together, what does Liesel give to Rudy as a gift?
3. Who breaks the news to Frau Holtzapfel that her son has died?
4. How does Liesel describe the alcoholic drink she sips with Hans?
5. What does Rudy ask Liesel for after he rescues her book from the river?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Max arrives at the Hubermann doorstep, Liesel is sworn to secrecy about his appearance. Why are the Hubermanns so concerned with keeping Max's visit a secret? Does Liesel manage to keep the secret? If so, how and why? If not, what are the effects of her slipped secret?
Essay Topic 2
Liesel's journey into adulthood can be traced through the books she reads. Choose at least three titles Liesel reads throughout the course of the novel and explain what Liesel learned from each of these texts. Then, explain how the books Liesel reads can trace her growth into adulthood using the three books you've selected as primary examples.
Essay Topic 3
When Hans sees the starving Jewish prisoner being marched through town, he makes a snap decision that permanently affects his family. What are the pros to Hans' decision regarding the Jewish soldier? What are the cons? When the pros and cons are balanced, do you think Hans' decision regarding the soldier is a good one? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,262 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)