|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frau Holtzapfel offer to trade Liesel in exchange for reading sessions?
2. How many races does Rudy sign up for during the Hitler Youth carnival?
3. What question does the Hitler Youth leader ask Rudy on the street before beating him in front of his friends?
4. What punishment does Hans receive for helping the starving Jew from the parade?
5. What does Rudy ask Liesel for after he rescues her book from the river?
Essay Topic 1
Rudy's experience within the Hitler Youth Organization was one that haunted him throughout his entire life. First, describe Rudy's initial experiences with the Hitler Youth Organization. Then, explain why Rudy was forced to switch groups at various times throughout his Nazi career. Finally, explain what skill Rudy exhibited, and how the Hitler Youth Organization responded to his unexpected skill.
Essay Topic 2
While Max is living in the Hubermann's basement, he has little to no contact with the outside world. First, describe how Max spends his days while he is confined to the basement. Then, explain how Max manages to catch glimpses, both real and imagined, of what life is like on the outside during his confinement.
Essay Topic 3
At the closing of the novel, Liesel has penned a book of her own. First, describe the book Liesel writes. What message does the book send to readers? After being separated from the book for most of her life, how is the book finally returned to Liesel? What does she learn about the message of her text upon its return? From Liesel's perspective, do you think the book she authored was a success? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)