|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what month of the year does Max collapse in the basement?
2. How does Hans react to the news that he is going to be drafted to the war?
3. What excuse does Rudy give the shopkeeper when he is caught stealing apples from the market?
4. What does Rosa shout at Liesel for, signaling to her that Max has awoken from his coma?
5. What does the disgruntled card player steal from Hans after their game?
Essay Topic 1
One of the ways Liesel finds acceptance after moving to a new school is to join a gang. First, describe the gang Liesel was a part of. Who is the leader? What does the gang fight for? Then, explain how the gang helps Liesel learn how to function within a group. How does this lesson come in handy for Liesel later on in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Rudy's experience within the Hitler Youth Organization was one that haunted him throughout his entire life. First, describe Rudy's initial experiences with the Hitler Youth Organization. Then, explain why Rudy was forced to switch groups at various times throughout his Nazi career. Finally, explain what skill Rudy exhibited, and how the Hitler Youth Organization responded to his unexpected skill.
Essay Topic 3
The book burning at the opening of the novel is an event that has a profound effect on Liesel and her relationship with the written word. First, describe why the Nazis were hosting a book burning in the first place, and what they hoped to accomplish during this event. Then, explain what inadvertent lessons Liesel learned by attending the event. From Liesel's perspective, was the book burning a success? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,326 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)