|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which concentration camp is the starving prisoner being relocated?
2. What does Hans offer to the starving Jewish soldier he sees being marched through the streets?
3. Which of the following items is NOT something Liesel gives to Max hoping it will heal him from his sickness?
4. How do Rudy's parents feel when the Nazi party offers Rudy a full scholarship to one of their training schools?
5. Who does Liesel continue to search for during the prisoner parades through town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dream does Max regularly have involving Hitler?
2. What secret code do Liesel and Rosa concoct to communicate about Max in public?
3. Why is Max forced to leave the Hubermann house?
4. Why do two men from the Nazi party suddenly show up at Rudy's home to speak with his parents?
5. How does Liesel save Max from being discovered when the men are trolling the neighborhood inspecting basements?
6. What happens when Frau Hermann finally confronts Liesel about stealing from her library?
7. What relationship does Liesel have with the book "The Whistler"?
8. How is Hans paid for the work he does during the summer of 1942?
9. How does Liesel come to own a Dictionary and Thesaurus?
10. How is Hans punished for giving the starving Jew a piece of bread?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Max arrives at the Hubermann doorstep, Liesel is sworn to secrecy about his appearance. Why are the Hubermanns so concerned with keeping Max's visit a secret? Does Liesel manage to keep the secret? If so, how and why? If not, what are the effects of her slipped secret?
Essay Topic 2
Zusak chooses a very interesting narrator in the voice of Death. First, describe at least two scenes in which Death visits with Liesel. What does the reader learn about Death, and Liesel's relationship with him during these interactions? Do you think Death was an effective narrator for this novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
While Max is living in the Hubermann's basement, he has little to no contact with the outside world. First, describe how Max spends his days while he is confined to the basement. Then, explain how Max manages to catch glimpses, both real and imagined, of what life is like on the outside during his confinement.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)