|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character fears that Max has caught an incurable cold?
2. Who breaks the news to Frau Holtzapfel that her son has died?
3. What does Liesel bring into Max's room on Christmas Eve?
4. Who is the first character to see the fire in the distance upon emerging from the air raid shelter?
5. What does Hans offer to the starving Jewish soldier he sees being marched through the streets?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Rudy sees an airplane go down outside the bomb shelter?
2. How does Rudy react to the physical he is forced to undergo at the Nazi school?
3. Why does Liesel bring snow into the basement during winter?
4. What happens when Liesel sees Max being marched through town with a Jewish prisoner parade?
5. Why do two men from the Nazi party suddenly show up at Rudy's home to speak with his parents?
6. Why does Liesel angrily shout at Frau Hermann in the library of her house?
7. Why does Frau Holtzapfel suddenly stop going to the bomb shelter during air raid drills?
8. How does Liesel save Max from being discovered when the men are trolling the neighborhood inspecting basements?
9. What secret code do Liesel and Rosa concoct to communicate about Max in public?
10. What dream does Max regularly have involving Hitler?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hans' relationship with his children is one that haunts him throughout his entire life. First, describe the relationship Hans has with his son, Hans Jr. Then, compare / contrast that to the relationship he has with Liesel. In your opinion, which relationship has a deeper impact on Hans' view of the world? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 2
When Hans sees the starving Jewish prisoner being marched through town, he makes a snap decision that permanently affects his family. What are the pros to Hans' decision regarding the Jewish soldier? What are the cons? When the pros and cons are balanced, do you think Hans' decision regarding the soldier is a good one? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When WWII broke out, the economy in Munich was devastated. First, describe how the Hubermann and Steiner families were directly affected by the failing economy. Then, describe how each family managed to pick themselves up by their bootstraps and survive while surrounded by the abject poverty around them.
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)