|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first character to see the fire in the distance upon emerging from the air raid shelter?
2. What does Frau Holtzapfel offer to trade Liesel in exchange for reading sessions?
3. How many races does Rudy sign up for during the Hitler Youth carnival?
4. How does Liesel describe the alcoholic drink she sips with Hans?
5. What color do Hans' neighbors ask him to paint their windows?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Hubermann family react during the first air raid drill of the year?
2. What happens when Viktor Chemmel steals the book Liesel is reading?
3. How is Hans paid for the work he does during the summer of 1942?
4. Why do two men from the Nazi party suddenly show up at Rudy's home to speak with his parents?
5. Why does Liesel angrily shout at Frau Hermann in the library of her house?
6. What does the LSE do during the war?
7. What happens when Frau Hermann finally confronts Liesel about stealing from her library?
8. How does Liesel save Max from being discovered when the men are trolling the neighborhood inspecting basements?
9. Why is Max forced to leave the Hubermann house?
10. How does Michael Holtzapfel die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in this novel suffer from recurring nightmares. Choose two characters who suffer from nightmares and describe the visions they have. How do these recurring nightmares affect the way these characters interact with the world and each other?
Essay Topic 2
While he is living in the basement, Max writes two books for Liesel. Describe each of the books in detail. Then, explain what message you think Max intended Liesel to take away from the books. Do you think his messages were received? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Hans' relationship with his children is one that haunts him throughout his entire life. First, describe the relationship Hans has with his son, Hans Jr. Then, compare / contrast that to the relationship he has with Liesel. In your opinion, which relationship has a deeper impact on Hans' view of the world? How can you tell?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)