|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What card game does Hans regularly play with his troops?
2. In which Russian city did Frau Holzapfel's son die?
3. What does Liesel attempt to do with Max when she sees him being paraded through town?
4. After Hans is drafted to the war, what sound does Liesel hear at night that wakes her from sleep?
5. What does Frau Holtzapfel offer to trade Liesel in exchange for reading sessions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do two men from the Nazi party suddenly show up at Rudy's home to speak with his parents?
2. How does Liesel save Max from being discovered when the men are trolling the neighborhood inspecting basements?
3. How does the Hubermann family react during the first air raid drill of the year?
4. How does the Hitler Youth Organization leader treat Rudy when he sees him on the street outside the church?
5. Why does Liesel bring snow into the basement during winter?
6. What happens when Viktor Chemmel steals the book Liesel is reading?
7. What happens when Frau Hermann finally confronts Liesel about stealing from her library?
8. How is Hans punished for giving the starving Jew a piece of bread?
9. How does Hans narrowly avoid death during the second World War?
10. What dream does Max regularly have involving Hitler?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rudy's experience within the Hitler Youth Organization was one that haunted him throughout his entire life. First, describe Rudy's initial experiences with the Hitler Youth Organization. Then, explain why Rudy was forced to switch groups at various times throughout his Nazi career. Finally, explain what skill Rudy exhibited, and how the Hitler Youth Organization responded to his unexpected skill.
Essay Topic 2
When Max arrives at the Hubermann doorstep, Liesel is sworn to secrecy about his appearance. Why are the Hubermanns so concerned with keeping Max's visit a secret? Does Liesel manage to keep the secret? If so, how and why? If not, what are the effects of her slipped secret?
Essay Topic 3
Adolf Hitler's book "Mein Kampf" is a very important prop in the plot of this novel. First, describe what message Hitler was trying to send to the German people with his book. Then, give at least two examples of scenes in which characters from the novel use "Mein Kampf" as a tool to aid in the fight against Hitler.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)