|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the disgruntled card player die?
2. After Hans is drafted to the war, what sound does Liesel hear at night that wakes her from sleep?
3. What excuse does Rudy give the shopkeeper when he is caught stealing apples from the market?
4. How does Rudy feel after the Nazi physical?
5. Who breaks the news to Frau Holtzapfel that her son has died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hans narrowly avoid death during the second World War?
2. How does the Hubermann family react during the first air raid drill of the year?
3. What happens when Viktor Chemmel steals the book Liesel is reading?
4. How is Hans paid for the work he does during the summer of 1942?
5. Why does Liesel angrily shout at Frau Hermann in the library of her house?
6. What happens when Liesel sees Max being marched through town with a Jewish prisoner parade?
7. What relationship does Liesel have with the book "The Whistler"?
8. How does Liesel come to own a Dictionary and Thesaurus?
9. What dream does Max regularly have involving Hitler?
10. What fear does Rosa have if Max were to die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Max is living in the Hubermann's basement, he has little to no contact with the outside world. First, describe how Max spends his days while he is confined to the basement. Then, explain how Max manages to catch glimpses, both real and imagined, of what life is like on the outside during his confinement.
Essay Topic 2
The book burning at the opening of the novel is an event that has a profound effect on Liesel and her relationship with the written word. First, describe why the Nazis were hosting a book burning in the first place, and what they hoped to accomplish during this event. Then, explain what inadvertent lessons Liesel learned by attending the event. From Liesel's perspective, was the book burning a success? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Both Liesel and Hans have an artistic talent that brings peace to stressful situations. First, describe both Liesel and Hans' talents. Then, describe at least one situation when these characters use their artistic skill in the attempts to calm a crowd. What is the effect of their attempts?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)