|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what month of the year does Max collapse in the basement?
2. How does Hans react to the news that he is going to be drafted to the war?
3. What excuse does Rudy give the shopkeeper when he is caught stealing apples from the market?
4. What does Rosa shout at Liesel for, signaling to her that Max has awoken from his coma?
5. What does the disgruntled card player steal from Hans after their game?
Essay Topic 1
Ilsa Hermann is a woman devastated by loss in her life. First, explain the loss Ilsa Hermann experiences. Then, describe how she attempts to cope with this loss. How does the loss in Ilsa Hermann's life affect her relationship with Liesel?
Essay Topic 2
Hans' relationship with his children is one that haunts him throughout his entire life. First, describe the relationship Hans has with his son, Hans Jr. Then, compare / contrast that to the relationship he has with Liesel. In your opinion, which relationship has a deeper impact on Hans' view of the world? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 3
At the closing of the novel, Liesel has penned a book of her own. First, describe the book Liesel writes. What message does the book send to readers? After being separated from the book for most of her life, how is the book finally returned to Liesel? What does she learn about the message of her text upon its return? From Liesel's perspective, do you think the book she authored was a success? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,326 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)