|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Hans take upon returning home from the war?
2. To which concentration camp is the starving prisoner being relocated?
3. How does Liesel manage to warn Max about the men trolling the neighborhood, who may discover him?
4. What title does Max give to his journal before skipping town?
5. Why is the Nazi party interested in giving Rudy a full scholarship to their school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Frau Holtzapfel suddenly stop going to the bomb shelter during air raid drills?
2. What relationship does Liesel have with the book "The Whistler"?
3. How is Hans paid for the work he does during the summer of 1942?
4. Why do two men from the Nazi party suddenly show up at Rudy's home to speak with his parents?
5. How does Hans narrowly avoid death during the second World War?
6. How does Liesel save Max from being discovered when the men are trolling the neighborhood inspecting basements?
7. How does the Hitler Youth Organization leader treat Rudy when he sees him on the street outside the church?
8. How does Rudy react to the physical he is forced to undergo at the Nazi school?
9. Why does Liesel angrily shout at Frau Hermann in the library of her house?
10. What fear does Rosa have if Max were to die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the ways Liesel finds acceptance after moving to a new school is to join a gang. First, describe the gang Liesel was a part of. Who is the leader? What does the gang fight for? Then, explain how the gang helps Liesel learn how to function within a group. How does this lesson come in handy for Liesel later on in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Many characters in this novel suffer from recurring nightmares. Choose two characters who suffer from nightmares and describe the visions they have. How do these recurring nightmares affect the way these characters interact with the world and each other?
Essay Topic 3
When Max arrives at the Hubermann doorstep, Liesel is sworn to secrecy about his appearance. Why are the Hubermanns so concerned with keeping Max's visit a secret? Does Liesel manage to keep the secret? If so, how and why? If not, what are the effects of her slipped secret?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)