|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rudy give to the dying pilot in the hopes of comforting him during death?
2. What is the title of the book Liesel steals from Frau Hermann's library while Max is sick?
3. Who is Rudy most terrified of seeing him fail?
4. Which of the following actions does Hans cease doing once he arrives on the war front?
5. With what weapon are both Hans and the starving prisoner beaten by the guard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "The Word Shaker"?
2. How does Liesel save Max from being discovered when the men are trolling the neighborhood inspecting basements?
3. What secret code do Liesel and Rosa concoct to communicate about Max in public?
4. What relationship does Liesel have with the book "The Whistler"?
5. How does Hans narrowly avoid death during the second World War?
6. How is Hans paid for the work he does during the summer of 1942?
7. Why does Liesel bring snow into the basement during winter?
8. Why does Hans suddenly begin working again during the summer of 1942?
9. What dream does Max regularly have involving Hitler?
10. Why does Liesel angrily shout at Frau Hermann in the library of her house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rudy's experience within the Hitler Youth Organization was one that haunted him throughout his entire life. First, describe Rudy's initial experiences with the Hitler Youth Organization. Then, explain why Rudy was forced to switch groups at various times throughout his Nazi career. Finally, explain what skill Rudy exhibited, and how the Hitler Youth Organization responded to his unexpected skill.
Essay Topic 2
The book burning at the opening of the novel is an event that has a profound effect on Liesel and her relationship with the written word. First, describe why the Nazis were hosting a book burning in the first place, and what they hoped to accomplish during this event. Then, explain what inadvertent lessons Liesel learned by attending the event. From Liesel's perspective, was the book burning a success? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When Hans sees the starving Jewish prisoner being marched through town, he makes a snap decision that permanently affects his family. What are the pros to Hans' decision regarding the Jewish soldier? What are the cons? When the pros and cons are balanced, do you think Hans' decision regarding the soldier is a good one? Why or why not?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)