|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many races does Rudy WIN during the Hitler Youth carnival?
2. Which of the following actions does Hans cease doing once he arrives on the war front?
3. Which of the following characters is NOT in the room with Rudy when he has to strip naked for the Nazi physical?
4. During what month of the year does Max collapse in the basement?
5. In what month of the year does Hans return home from the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Viktor Chemmel steals the book Liesel is reading?
2. How does Rudy react to the physical he is forced to undergo at the Nazi school?
3. How does Liesel save Max from being discovered when the men are trolling the neighborhood inspecting basements?
4. How does Hans narrowly avoid death during the second World War?
5. How does the Hitler Youth Organization leader treat Rudy when he sees him on the street outside the church?
6. How does the Hubermann family react during the first air raid drill of the year?
7. What secret code do Liesel and Rosa concoct to communicate about Max in public?
8. What does the LSE do during the war?
9. Why does Liesel bring snow into the basement during winter?
10. Why do two men from the Nazi party suddenly show up at Rudy's home to speak with his parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adolf Hitler's book "Mein Kampf" is a very important prop in the plot of this novel. First, describe what message Hitler was trying to send to the German people with his book. Then, give at least two examples of scenes in which characters from the novel use "Mein Kampf" as a tool to aid in the fight against Hitler.
Essay Topic 2
Hans manages to survive both World Wars even though he fought in both. First, describe how Hans managed to survive the first World War. Then, compare / contrast that to the way Hans managed to survive the second World War. What does Hans' knack for survival tell the reader about his character?
Essay Topic 3
When Hans sees the starving Jewish prisoner being marched through town, he makes a snap decision that permanently affects his family. What are the pros to Hans' decision regarding the Jewish soldier? What are the cons? When the pros and cons are balanced, do you think Hans' decision regarding the soldier is a good one? Why or why not?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)