|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Frau Hermann, who owns the library in her house?
2. What does Frau Holtzapfel offer to trade Liesel in exchange for reading sessions?
3. Which of the following items is NOT something Liesel gives to Max hoping it will heal him from his sickness?
4. What does Liesel accidentally leave behind in the mayor's house while she is robbing him?
5. How does the disgruntled card player die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Liesel angrily shout at Frau Hermann in the library of her house?
2. How is Hans punished for giving the starving Jew a piece of bread?
3. What happens when Frau Hermann finally confronts Liesel about stealing from her library?
4. How does Liesel save Max from being discovered when the men are trolling the neighborhood inspecting basements?
5. Why does Liesel bring snow into the basement during winter?
6. What is "The Word Shaker"?
7. How does Liesel come to own a Dictionary and Thesaurus?
8. What dream does Max regularly have involving Hitler?
9. Why does Frau Holtzapfel suddenly stop going to the bomb shelter during air raid drills?
10. What happens when Liesel sees Max being marched through town with a Jewish prisoner parade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Liesel's life undergoes some major changes, starting with the opening chapter of the novel. First, describe what Liesel's familial situation is like at the opening of the novel. Then, describe what her familial situation is like at the end of the novel. What has changed about Liesel's sense of family?
Essay Topic 2
Rudy and Liesel have an interesting and dynamic relationship from the moment they meet. First, describe how Liesel and Rudy meet. Then, describe how the relationship between these two children changes over the course of the novel. Choose at least two major incidents from the novel and explain how these incidents affected the relationship between the children.
Essay Topic 3
Zusak chooses a very interesting narrator in the voice of Death. First, describe at least two scenes in which Death visits with Liesel. What does the reader learn about Death, and Liesel's relationship with him during these interactions? Do you think Death was an effective narrator for this novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)