|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Liesel accidentally leave behind in the mayor's house while she is robbing him?
2. What does Liesel steal from the mayor's house the first time she breaks in?
3. Why are men trolling the neighborhood where Liesel lives during her soccer game?
4. What does Rosa shout at Liesel for, signaling to her that Max has awoken from his coma?
5. How do Rudy and Liesel break into the mayor's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Liesel sees Max being marched through town with a Jewish prisoner parade?
2. What is "The Word Shaker"?
3. How does Rudy react to the physical he is forced to undergo at the Nazi school?
4. Why is Max forced to leave the Hubermann house?
5. What happens when Viktor Chemmel steals the book Liesel is reading?
6. What fear does Rosa have if Max were to die?
7. How does Liesel save Max from being discovered when the men are trolling the neighborhood inspecting basements?
8. How does the Hitler Youth Organization leader treat Rudy when he sees him on the street outside the church?
9. What dream does Max regularly have involving Hitler?
10. How does the Hubermann family react during the first air raid drill of the year?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rudy and Liesel have an interesting and dynamic relationship from the moment they meet. First, describe how Liesel and Rudy meet. Then, describe how the relationship between these two children changes over the course of the novel. Choose at least two major incidents from the novel and explain how these incidents affected the relationship between the children.
Essay Topic 2
One of the ways Liesel finds acceptance after moving to a new school is to join a gang. First, describe the gang Liesel was a part of. Who is the leader? What does the gang fight for? Then, explain how the gang helps Liesel learn how to function within a group. How does this lesson come in handy for Liesel later on in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Liesel's journey into adulthood can be traced through the books she reads. Choose at least three titles Liesel reads throughout the course of the novel and explain what Liesel learned from each of these texts. Then, explain how the books Liesel reads can trace her growth into adulthood using the three books you've selected as primary examples.
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)