|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food item does Liesel find on Frau Hermann's desk around Christmas time?
2. When the disgruntled card player dies, what part of Hans' body is broken?
3. Who does Michael write a letter to shortly before his death?
4. How does Hans learn that he has been accepted in the Nazi party?
5. What title does Max give to his journal before skipping town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Rudy sees an airplane go down outside the bomb shelter?
2. How is Hans paid for the work he does during the summer of 1942?
3. Why is Max forced to leave the Hubermann house?
4. Why does Hans suddenly begin working again during the summer of 1942?
5. What does the LSE do during the war?
6. What fear does Rosa have if Max were to die?
7. How does Michael Holtzapfel die?
8. What secret code do Liesel and Rosa concoct to communicate about Max in public?
9. What is "The Word Shaker"?
10. What happens when Liesel sees Max being marched through town with a Jewish prisoner parade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adolf Hitler's book "Mein Kampf" is a very important prop in the plot of this novel. First, describe what message Hitler was trying to send to the German people with his book. Then, give at least two examples of scenes in which characters from the novel use "Mein Kampf" as a tool to aid in the fight against Hitler.
Essay Topic 2
Both Liesel and Hans have an artistic talent that brings peace to stressful situations. First, describe both Liesel and Hans' talents. Then, describe at least one situation when these characters use their artistic skill in the attempts to calm a crowd. What is the effect of their attempts?
Essay Topic 3
When WWII broke out, the economy in Munich was devastated. First, describe how the Hubermann and Steiner families were directly affected by the failing economy. Then, describe how each family managed to pick themselves up by their bootstraps and survive while surrounded by the abject poverty around them.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)