|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters does NOT get up in the middle of the night during the air raid sirens?
2. What does Liesel attempt to do with Max when she sees him being paraded through town?
3. What does Hans offer to the starving Jewish soldier he sees being marched through the streets?
4. In which Russian city did Frau Holzapfel's son die?
5. How does Frau Hermann react when she realizes that Liesel is stealing from her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Michael Holtzapfel die?
2. How does the Hubermann family react during the first air raid drill of the year?
3. Why do two men from the Nazi party suddenly show up at Rudy's home to speak with his parents?
4. What happens when Liesel sees Max being marched through town with a Jewish prisoner parade?
5. How does Rudy perform at the summer Hitler Youth carnival?
6. What secret code do Liesel and Rosa concoct to communicate about Max in public?
7. How is Hans paid for the work he does during the summer of 1942?
8. What dream does Max regularly have involving Hitler?
9. How is Hans punished for giving the starving Jew a piece of bread?
10. Why does Frau Holtzapfel suddenly stop going to the bomb shelter during air raid drills?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the ways Liesel finds acceptance after moving to a new school is to join a gang. First, describe the gang Liesel was a part of. Who is the leader? What does the gang fight for? Then, explain how the gang helps Liesel learn how to function within a group. How does this lesson come in handy for Liesel later on in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Both Liesel and Hans have an artistic talent that brings peace to stressful situations. First, describe both Liesel and Hans' talents. Then, describe at least one situation when these characters use their artistic skill in the attempts to calm a crowd. What is the effect of their attempts?
Essay Topic 3
One of the ways the Nazi soldiers sought to humiliate their Jewish prisoners was to march them in parades through the cities. First, explain what message the Nazis were sending to the villagers with the parades. From the Nazis' point of view, were the parades successful? Why or why not? Finally, explain the various reactions villagers, like Hans and Liesel, had to seeing the prisoners being paraded through their streets.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)