|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following food items does Liesel leave around town in case the Jewish prisoners get hungry?
2. How does Liesel manage to warn Max about the men trolling the neighborhood, who may discover him?
3. To which concentration camp is the starving prisoner being relocated?
4. How does Frau Hermann react when she realizes that Liesel is stealing from her?
5. How does Rudy feel after the Nazi physical?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "The Word Shaker"?
2. Why do two men from the Nazi party suddenly show up at Rudy's home to speak with his parents?
3. Why does Liesel bring snow into the basement during winter?
4. What does the LSE do during the war?
5. How does Rudy react to the physical he is forced to undergo at the Nazi school?
6. What happens when Rudy sees an airplane go down outside the bomb shelter?
7. How does Rudy perform at the summer Hitler Youth carnival?
8. How does Michael Holtzapfel die?
9. Why does Liesel angrily shout at Frau Hermann in the library of her house?
10. What relationship does Liesel have with the book "The Whistler"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the closing of the novel, Liesel has penned a book of her own. First, describe the book Liesel writes. What message does the book send to readers? After being separated from the book for most of her life, how is the book finally returned to Liesel? What does she learn about the message of her text upon its return? From Liesel's perspective, do you think the book she authored was a success? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Hans manages to survive both World Wars even though he fought in both. First, describe how Hans managed to survive the first World War. Then, compare / contrast that to the way Hans managed to survive the second World War. What does Hans' knack for survival tell the reader about his character?
Essay Topic 3
One of the ways Liesel finds acceptance after moving to a new school is to join a gang. First, describe the gang Liesel was a part of. Who is the leader? What does the gang fight for? Then, explain how the gang helps Liesel learn how to function within a group. How does this lesson come in handy for Liesel later on in her life?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)