|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ethnicity is the pilot whose plane has crashed near the river?
2. Which of the following characters is drafted to the war at the same time as Hans?
3. What does Liesel bring into Max's room on Christmas Eve?
4. How many races does Rudy WIN during the Hitler Youth carnival?
5. What question does the Hitler Youth leader ask Rudy on the street before beating him in front of his friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Rudy sees an airplane go down outside the bomb shelter?
2. How does Rudy perform at the summer Hitler Youth carnival?
3. Why does Frau Holtzapfel suddenly stop going to the bomb shelter during air raid drills?
4. What dream does Max regularly have involving Hitler?
5. What happens when Viktor Chemmel steals the book Liesel is reading?
6. What happens when Frau Hermann finally confronts Liesel about stealing from her library?
7. How does the Hitler Youth Organization leader treat Rudy when he sees him on the street outside the church?
8. How does Liesel save Max from being discovered when the men are trolling the neighborhood inspecting basements?
9. How does Liesel come to own a Dictionary and Thesaurus?
10. How does Michael Holtzapfel die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hans manages to survive both World Wars even though he fought in both. First, describe how Hans managed to survive the first World War. Then, compare / contrast that to the way Hans managed to survive the second World War. What does Hans' knack for survival tell the reader about his character?
Essay Topic 2
Rudy and Liesel have an interesting and dynamic relationship from the moment they meet. First, describe how Liesel and Rudy meet. Then, describe how the relationship between these two children changes over the course of the novel. Choose at least two major incidents from the novel and explain how these incidents affected the relationship between the children.
Essay Topic 3
One of the ways the Nazi soldiers sought to humiliate their Jewish prisoners was to march them in parades through the cities. First, explain what message the Nazis were sending to the villagers with the parades. From the Nazis' point of view, were the parades successful? Why or why not? Finally, explain the various reactions villagers, like Hans and Liesel, had to seeing the prisoners being paraded through their streets.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)