|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many gifts does Liesel bring to Max in total during his time of sickness?
2. During what month of the year does Max collapse in the basement?
3. What question does the Hitler Youth leader ask Rudy on the street before beating him in front of his friends?
4. What is the title of the book Liesel steals from Frau Hermann's library while Max is sick?
5. Why are men trolling the neighborhood where Liesel lives during her soccer game?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Max forced to leave the Hubermann house?
2. Why does Frau Holtzapfel suddenly stop going to the bomb shelter during air raid drills?
3. What secret code do Liesel and Rosa concoct to communicate about Max in public?
4. How does the Hitler Youth Organization leader treat Rudy when he sees him on the street outside the church?
5. Why does Liesel angrily shout at Frau Hermann in the library of her house?
6. What dream does Max regularly have involving Hitler?
7. What is "The Word Shaker"?
8. How does Rudy perform at the summer Hitler Youth carnival?
9. How does Liesel come to own a Dictionary and Thesaurus?
10. How does Liesel save Max from being discovered when the men are trolling the neighborhood inspecting basements?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Liesel's life undergoes some major changes, starting with the opening chapter of the novel. First, describe what Liesel's familial situation is like at the opening of the novel. Then, describe what her familial situation is like at the end of the novel. What has changed about Liesel's sense of family?
Essay Topic 2
Liesel's journey into adulthood can be traced through the books she reads. Choose at least three titles Liesel reads throughout the course of the novel and explain what Liesel learned from each of these texts. Then, explain how the books Liesel reads can trace her growth into adulthood using the three books you've selected as primary examples.
Essay Topic 3
Rudy and Liesel have an interesting and dynamic relationship from the moment they meet. First, describe how Liesel and Rudy meet. Then, describe how the relationship between these two children changes over the course of the novel. Choose at least two major incidents from the novel and explain how these incidents affected the relationship between the children.
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)