|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of her belongings does Liesel bring into the bomb shelter with her during air raids?
2. Which of the following characters does NOT try to bully Frau Holtzapfel into the air raid shelter when she refuses to go?
3. According to Frau Hermann, who owns the library in her house?
4. During what month of the year does Liesel resume playing soccer with her neighborhood friends?
5. After their raid with Viktor Chemmel, how many apples are Liesel and Rudy given as payment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the LSE do during the war?
2. What relationship does Liesel have with the book "The Whistler"?
3. What dream does Max regularly have involving Hitler?
4. How is Hans punished for giving the starving Jew a piece of bread?
5. Why is Max forced to leave the Hubermann house?
6. What happens when Liesel sees Max being marched through town with a Jewish prisoner parade?
7. Why does Liesel angrily shout at Frau Hermann in the library of her house?
8. How does Rudy react to the physical he is forced to undergo at the Nazi school?
9. What happens when Rudy sees an airplane go down outside the bomb shelter?
10. Why does Frau Holtzapfel suddenly stop going to the bomb shelter during air raid drills?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Liesel and Hans have an artistic talent that brings peace to stressful situations. First, describe both Liesel and Hans' talents. Then, describe at least one situation when these characters use their artistic skill in the attempts to calm a crowd. What is the effect of their attempts?
Essay Topic 2
While Max is living in the Hubermann's basement, he has little to no contact with the outside world. First, describe how Max spends his days while he is confined to the basement. Then, explain how Max manages to catch glimpses, both real and imagined, of what life is like on the outside during his confinement.
Essay Topic 3
Liesel's journey into adulthood can be traced through the books she reads. Choose at least three titles Liesel reads throughout the course of the novel and explain what Liesel learned from each of these texts. Then, explain how the books Liesel reads can trace her growth into adulthood using the three books you've selected as primary examples.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)