|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rudy give to the dying pilot in the hopes of comforting him during death?
2. What color do Hans' neighbors ask him to paint their windows?
3. What alcoholic beverage is Hans paid in, which he allows Liesel to drink with him?
4. In what German city is Hans stationed during the war?
5. What question does the Hitler Youth leader ask Rudy on the street before beating him in front of his friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book burning at the opening of the novel is an event that has a profound effect on Liesel and her relationship with the written word. First, describe why the Nazis were hosting a book burning in the first place, and what they hoped to accomplish during this event. Then, explain what inadvertent lessons Liesel learned by attending the event. From Liesel's perspective, was the book burning a success? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ilsa Hermann is a woman devastated by loss in her life. First, explain the loss Ilsa Hermann experiences. Then, describe how she attempts to cope with this loss. How does the loss in Ilsa Hermann's life affect her relationship with Liesel?
Essay Topic 3
Adolf Hitler's book "Mein Kampf" is a very important prop in the plot of this novel. First, describe what message Hitler was trying to send to the German people with his book. Then, give at least two examples of scenes in which characters from the novel use "Mein Kampf" as a tool to aid in the fight against Hitler.
This section contains 1,277 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)