|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following food items does Liesel leave around town in case the Jewish prisoners get hungry?
2. Which of the following characters does NOT try to bully Frau Holtzapfel into the air raid shelter when she refuses to go?
3. How does the disgruntled card player die?
4. Which of the following characters is drafted to the war at the same time as Hans?
5. How many gifts does Liesel bring to Max in total during his time of sickness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Frau Hermann finally confronts Liesel about stealing from her library?
2. What secret code do Liesel and Rosa concoct to communicate about Max in public?
3. How does Rudy perform at the summer Hitler Youth carnival?
4. What does the LSE do during the war?
5. Why does Frau Holtzapfel suddenly stop going to the bomb shelter during air raid drills?
6. How does Liesel come to own a Dictionary and Thesaurus?
7. Why is Max forced to leave the Hubermann house?
8. Why does Liesel bring snow into the basement during winter?
9. What relationship does Liesel have with the book "The Whistler"?
10. Why does Liesel angrily shout at Frau Hermann in the library of her house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Max arrives at the Hubermann doorstep, Liesel is sworn to secrecy about his appearance. Why are the Hubermanns so concerned with keeping Max's visit a secret? Does Liesel manage to keep the secret? If so, how and why? If not, what are the effects of her slipped secret?
Essay Topic 2
Both Liesel and Hans have an artistic talent that brings peace to stressful situations. First, describe both Liesel and Hans' talents. Then, describe at least one situation when these characters use their artistic skill in the attempts to calm a crowd. What is the effect of their attempts?
Essay Topic 3
Ilsa Hermann is a woman devastated by loss in her life. First, explain the loss Ilsa Hermann experiences. Then, describe how she attempts to cope with this loss. How does the loss in Ilsa Hermann's life affect her relationship with Liesel?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)