|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what month of the year does Max collapse in the basement?
2. How does Hans react to the news that he is going to be drafted to the war?
3. What excuse does Rudy give the shopkeeper when he is caught stealing apples from the market?
4. What does Rosa shout at Liesel for, signaling to her that Max has awoken from his coma?
5. What does the disgruntled card player steal from Hans after their game?
Essay Topic 1
Both Liesel and Hans have an artistic talent that brings peace to stressful situations. First, describe both Liesel and Hans' talents. Then, describe at least one situation when these characters use their artistic skill in the attempts to calm a crowd. What is the effect of their attempts?
Essay Topic 2
Zusak chooses a very interesting narrator in the voice of Death. First, describe at least two scenes in which Death visits with Liesel. What does the reader learn about Death, and Liesel's relationship with him during these interactions? Do you think Death was an effective narrator for this novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Hans manages to survive both World Wars even though he fought in both. First, describe how Hans managed to survive the first World War. Then, compare / contrast that to the way Hans managed to survive the second World War. What does Hans' knack for survival tell the reader about his character?
This section contains 1,326 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)