|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of her body is burned when Liesel steals a copy of "The Shoulder Shrug"?
2. Which of the following instruments does Hans Hubermann play?
3. What sport does Liesel regularly play with the neighborhood kids?
4. Who is the narrator of this novel?
5. Which of the following political parties does Liesel think her mother belonged to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Liesel in a train at the opening of the novel?
2. How does Max escape from Stuttgard after the war breaks out?
3. How is the mysterious young man in Stuttgart described when the reader sees him for the first time?
4. How does Rudy Steiner express his admiration for Jesse Owens?
5. Who was Erik Vandenberg?
6. How did Erik Vandenberg's widow respond when Hans Hubermann came knocking at her door?
7. What chores is Liesel expected to complete around the house while she is living with Hans and Rosa?
8. What happens to Liesel's younger brother while he is on the train at the opening of the novel?
9. When Frau Hermann invites LIesel inside her house, what does she show the young girl?
10. Why is the relationship between Hans and Hans Jr. strained?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the ways the Nazi soldiers sought to humiliate their Jewish prisoners was to march them in parades through the cities. First, explain what message the Nazis were sending to the villagers with the parades. From the Nazis' point of view, were the parades successful? Why or why not? Finally, explain the various reactions villagers, like Hans and Liesel, had to seeing the prisoners being paraded through their streets.
Essay Topic 2
Hans manages to survive both World Wars even though he fought in both. First, describe how Hans managed to survive the first World War. Then, compare / contrast that to the way Hans managed to survive the second World War. What does Hans' knack for survival tell the reader about his character?
Essay Topic 3
Rudy's experience within the Hitler Youth Organization was one that haunted him throughout his entire life. First, describe Rudy's initial experiences with the Hitler Youth Organization. Then, explain why Rudy was forced to switch groups at various times throughout his Nazi career. Finally, explain what skill Rudy exhibited, and how the Hitler Youth Organization responded to his unexpected skill.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)