|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Liesel clean off the door frame every day, left by Frau Hollapfel?
2. How does Viktor Chemmel compare to the last gang leader Liesel worked with?
3. Which of the following books does Hans Jr. think is the most valuable book ever written?
4. What instrument did Erik Vandenberg play?
5. What ethnicity was Erik Vandenberg?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Liesel react when she realizes the mayor's wife saw her steal the book from the bonfire?
2. Why is Liesel in a train at the opening of the novel?
3. What happens to Liesel's younger brother while he is on the train at the opening of the novel?
4. How did Erik Vandenberg's widow respond when Hans Hubermann came knocking at her door?
5. What reaction does Liesel have when she overhears someone use the word "Communist" at the bonfire?
6. How is the mysterious young man in Stuttgart described when the reader sees him for the first time?
7. Where does Rosa get the idea to send Liesel on all of her sales calls for the laundry business?
8. How do Hans and Rosa react when Liesel asks for permission to write letters home to her mother?
9. Why was Hans Hubermann asked to stay behind while the rest of his troop was sent in to battle in France during WWI?
10. Who was Erik Vandenberg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ilsa Hermann is a woman devastated by loss in her life. First, explain the loss Ilsa Hermann experiences. Then, describe how she attempts to cope with this loss. How does the loss in Ilsa Hermann's life affect her relationship with Liesel?
Essay Topic 2
One of the ways the Nazi soldiers sought to humiliate their Jewish prisoners was to march them in parades through the cities. First, explain what message the Nazis were sending to the villagers with the parades. From the Nazis' point of view, were the parades successful? Why or why not? Finally, explain the various reactions villagers, like Hans and Liesel, had to seeing the prisoners being paraded through their streets.
Essay Topic 3
One of the ways Liesel finds acceptance after moving to a new school is to join a gang. First, describe the gang Liesel was a part of. Who is the leader? What does the gang fight for? Then, explain how the gang helps Liesel learn how to function within a group. How does this lesson come in handy for Liesel later on in her life?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)