|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Liesel clean off the door frame every day, left by Frau Hollapfel?
2. What book does the mysterious young man take on the train with him while traveling cross country?
3. To which German city is Liesel being relocated by the foster care system?
4. Which of the following characters teaches Liesel how to read?
5. Upon arriving safely to the Hubermann household, how long does Max sleep, uninterrupted?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Liesel manage to get a hold of a copy of the book "The Shoulder Shrug"?
2. What happens when Rudy sees an airplane go down outside the bomb shelter?
3. How was Max Vandenberg treated by his schoolmates as a child?
4. How does Rudy Steiner express his admiration for Jesse Owens?
5. How does Hans treat Liesel during the first few weeks she is at his home?
6. Why was Hans Hubermann asked to stay behind while the rest of his troop was sent in to battle in France during WWI?
7. How does the Hitler Youth Organization leader treat Rudy when he sees him on the street outside the church?
8. How does Max escape from Stuttgard after the war breaks out?
9. Who is Frau Diller?
10. Why does Hans suddenly begin working again during the summer of 1942?
Essay Topic 1
Hans' relationship with his children is one that haunts him throughout his entire life. First, describe the relationship Hans has with his son, Hans Jr. Then, compare / contrast that to the relationship he has with Liesel. In your opinion, which relationship has a deeper impact on Hans' view of the world? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 2
Rudy's experience within the Hitler Youth Organization was one that haunted him throughout his entire life. First, describe Rudy's initial experiences with the Hitler Youth Organization. Then, explain why Rudy was forced to switch groups at various times throughout his Nazi career. Finally, explain what skill Rudy exhibited, and how the Hitler Youth Organization responded to his unexpected skill.
Essay Topic 3
One of the ways Liesel finds acceptance after moving to a new school is to join a gang. First, describe the gang Liesel was a part of. Who is the leader? What does the gang fight for? Then, explain how the gang helps Liesel learn how to function within a group. How does this lesson come in handy for Liesel later on in her life?
This section contains 1,902 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)