|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives does Liesel use to describe Frau Hermann during the summer she spends reading with her?
2. What did Hans give to Erik Vandenberg's widow with the hopes of being able to help her family one day?
3. What does Hans sell in order to buy Liesel two new books?
4. Which of the following sports is Rudy most interested in?
5. Why does Liesel steal money from Rosa?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Max escape from Stuttgard after the war breaks out?
2. How does Liesel manage to get a hold of a copy of the book "The Shoulder Shrug"?
3. What objects are given to the mysterious young man in Stuttgart to help him escape the city?
4. How do the citizens of Molching decide to celebrate the birthday of the Fueher?
5. How does Rudy Steiner express his admiration for Jesse Owens?
6. What happens to Liesel's younger brother while he is on the train at the opening of the novel?
7. How does Liesel react when she realizes the mayor's wife saw her steal the book from the bonfire?
8. Who was Erik Vandenberg?
9. What are Liesel's first impressions of Rosa and Hans Hubermann?
10. Where does Rosa get the idea to send Liesel on all of her sales calls for the laundry business?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Hans sees the starving Jewish prisoner being marched through town, he makes a snap decision that permanently affects his family. What are the pros to Hans' decision regarding the Jewish soldier? What are the cons? When the pros and cons are balanced, do you think Hans' decision regarding the soldier is a good one? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Liesel's journey into adulthood can be traced through the books she reads. Choose at least three titles Liesel reads throughout the course of the novel and explain what Liesel learned from each of these texts. Then, explain how the books Liesel reads can trace her growth into adulthood using the three books you've selected as primary examples.
Essay Topic 3
One of the ways Liesel finds acceptance after moving to a new school is to join a gang. First, describe the gang Liesel was a part of. Who is the leader? What does the gang fight for? Then, explain how the gang helps Liesel learn how to function within a group. How does this lesson come in handy for Liesel later on in her life?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)