Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Liesel clean off the door frame every day, left by Frau Hollapfel?
2. What book does the mysterious young man take on the train with him while traveling cross country?
3. To which German city is Liesel being relocated by the foster care system?
4. Which of the following characters teaches Liesel how to read?
5. Upon arriving safely to the Hubermann household, how long does Max sleep, uninterrupted?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Liesel manage to get a hold of a copy of the book "The Shoulder Shrug"?
2. What happens when Rudy sees an airplane go down outside the bomb shelter?
3. How was Max Vandenberg treated by his schoolmates as a child?
4. How does Rudy Steiner express his admiration for Jesse Owens?
5. How does Hans treat Liesel during the first few weeks she is at his home?
6. Why was Hans Hubermann asked to stay behind while the rest of his troop was sent in to battle in France during WWI?
7. How does the Hitler Youth Organization leader treat Rudy when he sees him on the street outside the church?
8. How does Max escape from Stuttgard after the war breaks out?
9. Who is Frau Diller?
10. Why does Hans suddenly begin working again during the summer of 1942?
Essay Topic 1
One of the ways Liesel finds acceptance after moving to a new school is to join a gang. First, describe the gang Liesel was a part of. Who is the leader? What does the gang fight for? Then, explain how the gang helps Liesel learn how to function within a group. How does this lesson come in handy for Liesel later on in her life?
Essay Topic 2
When Max arrives at the Hubermann doorstep, Liesel is sworn to secrecy about his appearance. Why are the Hubermanns so concerned with keeping Max's visit a secret? Does Liesel manage to keep the secret? If so, how and why? If not, what are the effects of her slipped secret?
Essay Topic 3
Rudy and Liesel have an interesting and dynamic relationship from the moment they meet. First, describe how Liesel and Rudy meet. Then, describe how the relationship between these two children changes over the course of the novel. Choose at least two major incidents from the novel and explain how these incidents affected the relationship between the children.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)