|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was young Hans Hubermann asked to stay behind during his fight of WWI?
2. What does Rudy use to darken his body in the hopes of emulating Jesse Owens?
3. At which holiday does Liesel finish reading "The Gravedigger's Handbook"?
4. As a child, who saved Max from the Gestapo when they were removing Jews from the neighborhood?
5. How long do Liesel and Rudy work with the gang leader before he moves away?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Erik Vandenberg's widow respond when Hans Hubermann came knocking at her door?
2. Whose name is written on the inside covers of the books kept in Frau Hermann's library?
3. How does Hans treat Liesel during the first few weeks she is at his home?
4. How is the mysterious young man in Stuttgart described when the reader sees him for the first time?
5. How do Liesel and Rudy manage to steal a food basket from a church?
6. How does Liesel fare during her first few weeks of school in Munich?
7. How do the citizens of Molching decide to celebrate the birthday of the Fueher?
8. How do Hans and Rosa react when Liesel asks for permission to write letters home to her mother?
9. How does Liesel celebrate her first Christmas with Hans and Rosa?
10. Who is Frau Diller?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the closing of the novel, Liesel has penned a book of her own. First, describe the book Liesel writes. What message does the book send to readers? After being separated from the book for most of her life, how is the book finally returned to Liesel? What does she learn about the message of her text upon its return? From Liesel's perspective, do you think the book she authored was a success? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ilsa Hermann is a woman devastated by loss in her life. First, explain the loss Ilsa Hermann experiences. Then, describe how she attempts to cope with this loss. How does the loss in Ilsa Hermann's life affect her relationship with Liesel?
Essay Topic 3
While he is living in the basement, Max writes two books for Liesel. Describe each of the books in detail. Then, explain what message you think Max intended Liesel to take away from the books. Do you think his messages were received? Why or why not?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)