|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which book does Liesel spend all of her time reading during her first summer with the Hubermann family?
2. Which of the following characters teaches Liesel how to read?
3. Why doesn't Viktor Chemmel like or respect Liesel?
4. Why does Liesel steal money from Rosa?
5. Where was Hans Hubermann stationed when he fought in WWI?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Hans and Rosa react when Liesel asks for permission to write letters home to her mother?
2. Who is Frau Diller?
3. Who was Erik Vandenberg?
4. Why was Hans Hubermann asked to stay behind while the rest of his troop was sent in to battle in France during WWI?
5. Why is Liesel in a train at the opening of the novel?
6. How is Max greeted by the Hubermann family when he arrives on their doorstep?
7. How does Max escape from Stuttgard after the war breaks out?
8. How do Liesel and Rudy manage to steal a food basket from a church?
9. How does Rudy Steiner express his admiration for Jesse Owens?
10. How does Liesel manage to get a hold of a copy of the book "The Shoulder Shrug"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zusak chooses a very interesting narrator in the voice of Death. First, describe at least two scenes in which Death visits with Liesel. What does the reader learn about Death, and Liesel's relationship with him during these interactions? Do you think Death was an effective narrator for this novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Hans manages to survive both World Wars even though he fought in both. First, describe how Hans managed to survive the first World War. Then, compare / contrast that to the way Hans managed to survive the second World War. What does Hans' knack for survival tell the reader about his character?
Essay Topic 3
Adolf Hitler's book "Mein Kampf" is a very important prop in the plot of this novel. First, describe what message Hitler was trying to send to the German people with his book. Then, give at least two examples of scenes in which characters from the novel use "Mein Kampf" as a tool to aid in the fight against Hitler.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)