|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Liesel clean off the door frame every day, left by Frau Hollapfel?
2. Which of the following mysterious characters is described as living in the dark shadows of Stuttgart?
3. How many soldiers survived the battle Hans Hubermann sat out during WWI?
4. When Rudy is punished in Hitler Youth camp, what is he made to do?
5. Which of the following books does Hans Jr. think is the most valuable book ever written?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the relationship between Hans and Hans Jr. strained?
2. Why is Liesel in a train at the opening of the novel?
3. Who was Erik Vandenberg?
4. How does the Hubermann family react during the first air raid drill of the year?
5. Why was Hans Hubermann asked to stay behind while the rest of his troop was sent in to battle in France during WWI?
6. How does Liesel fare during her first few weeks of school in Munich?
7. What does Max give to Liesel on her birthday?
8. What relationship does Liesel have with the book "The Whistler"?
9. What happens when Viktor Chemmel steals the book Liesel is reading?
10. How do Hans and Rosa react when Liesel asks for permission to write letters home to her mother?
Essay Topic 1
Hans manages to survive both World Wars even though he fought in both. First, describe how Hans managed to survive the first World War. Then, compare / contrast that to the way Hans managed to survive the second World War. What does Hans' knack for survival tell the reader about his character?
Essay Topic 2
Many characters in this novel suffer from recurring nightmares. Choose two characters who suffer from nightmares and describe the visions they have. How do these recurring nightmares affect the way these characters interact with the world and each other?
Essay Topic 3
Rudy and Liesel have an interesting and dynamic relationship from the moment they meet. First, describe how Liesel and Rudy meet. Then, describe how the relationship between these two children changes over the course of the novel. Choose at least two major incidents from the novel and explain how these incidents affected the relationship between the children.
This section contains 1,909 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)