|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which German city is Liesel being relocated by the foster care system?
2. How many armed guards escort Liesel when she helps to bury her dead brother?
3. Which of the following characters stands up for Tommy Muller when he is being abused?
4. Which sport does Max regularly dream he is participating in with Adolf Hitler?
5. What does Rudy use to darken his body in the hopes of emulating Jesse Owens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rudy Steiner express his admiration for Jesse Owens?
2. How is Max greeted by the Hubermann family when he arrives on their doorstep?
3. Why is Liesel in a train at the opening of the novel?
4. How do the Hubermann and Steiner families stretch the food they have during the recession so no one goes hungry?
5. When Frau Hermann invites LIesel inside her house, what does she show the young girl?
6. What reaction does Liesel have when she overhears someone use the word "Communist" at the bonfire?
7. Who was Erik Vandenberg?
8. How do the citizens of Molching decide to celebrate the birthday of the Fueher?
9. How does Liesel celebrate her first Christmas with Hans and Rosa?
10. How did Erik Vandenberg's widow respond when Hans Hubermann came knocking at her door?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hans' relationship with his children is one that haunts him throughout his entire life. First, describe the relationship Hans has with his son, Hans Jr. Then, compare / contrast that to the relationship he has with Liesel. In your opinion, which relationship has a deeper impact on Hans' view of the world? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 2
One of the ways the Nazi soldiers sought to humiliate their Jewish prisoners was to march them in parades through the cities. First, explain what message the Nazis were sending to the villagers with the parades. From the Nazis' point of view, were the parades successful? Why or why not? Finally, explain the various reactions villagers, like Hans and Liesel, had to seeing the prisoners being paraded through their streets.
Essay Topic 3
Hans manages to survive both World Wars even though he fought in both. First, describe how Hans managed to survive the first World War. Then, compare / contrast that to the way Hans managed to survive the second World War. What does Hans' knack for survival tell the reader about his character?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)