|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does the mysterious young man take on the train with him while traveling cross country?
2. How does Hans react when he finds out Liesel stole a book from the bonfire?
3. How many fights did Max Vandenberg get in with his nemesis, Walter Kugler?
4. To which of the following institutions is the Fuehrer most closely tied?
5. Why was young Hans Hubermann asked to stay behind during his fight of WWI?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Max Vandenberg treated by his schoolmates as a child?
2. Who was Erik Vandenberg?
3. How is Max greeted by the Hubermann family when he arrives on their doorstep?
4. How does Max escape from Stuttgard after the war breaks out?
5. What are Liesel's first impressions of Rosa and Hans Hubermann?
6. How does Liesel celebrate her first Christmas with Hans and Rosa?
7. What chores is Liesel expected to complete around the house while she is living with Hans and Rosa?
8. How does Liesel react when she realizes the mayor's wife saw her steal the book from the bonfire?
9. How is the mysterious young man in Stuttgart described when the reader sees him for the first time?
10. How do Hans and Rosa react when Liesel asks for permission to write letters home to her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Max is living in the Hubermann's basement, he has little to no contact with the outside world. First, describe how Max spends his days while he is confined to the basement. Then, explain how Max manages to catch glimpses, both real and imagined, of what life is like on the outside during his confinement.
Essay Topic 2
When WWII broke out, the economy in Munich was devastated. First, describe how the Hubermann and Steiner families were directly affected by the failing economy. Then, describe how each family managed to pick themselves up by their bootstraps and survive while surrounded by the abject poverty around them.
Essay Topic 3
One of the ways Liesel finds acceptance after moving to a new school is to join a gang. First, describe the gang Liesel was a part of. Who is the leader? What does the gang fight for? Then, explain how the gang helps Liesel learn how to function within a group. How does this lesson come in handy for Liesel later on in her life?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)