|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many soldiers survived the battle Hans Hubermann sat out during WWI?
2. What book does Liesel read over and over in Frau Hermann's library?
3. Which of the following adjectives does Liesel use to describe Frau Hermann during the summer she spends reading with her?
4. Who places Liesel Meminger in foster care?
5. Which of the following acts does Max request from Liesel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Erik Vandenberg's widow respond when Hans Hubermann came knocking at her door?
2. How do the Hubermann and Steiner families stretch the food they have during the recession so no one goes hungry?
3. How do the citizens of Molching decide to celebrate the birthday of the Fueher?
4. Where do Hans and Rosa hide Max in their house?
5. How does Hans treat Liesel during the first few weeks she is at his home?
6. Why is Liesel in a train at the opening of the novel?
7. What chores is Liesel expected to complete around the house while she is living with Hans and Rosa?
8. How does Rudy Steiner express his admiration for Jesse Owens?
9. How is the mysterious young man in Stuttgart described when the reader sees him for the first time?
10. Who is Frau Diller?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Max arrives at the Hubermann doorstep, Liesel is sworn to secrecy about his appearance. Why are the Hubermanns so concerned with keeping Max's visit a secret? Does Liesel manage to keep the secret? If so, how and why? If not, what are the effects of her slipped secret?
Essay Topic 2
Liesel's journey into adulthood can be traced through the books she reads. Choose at least three titles Liesel reads throughout the course of the novel and explain what Liesel learned from each of these texts. Then, explain how the books Liesel reads can trace her growth into adulthood using the three books you've selected as primary examples.
Essay Topic 3
While Max is living in the Hubermann's basement, he has little to no contact with the outside world. First, describe how Max spends his days while he is confined to the basement. Then, explain how Max manages to catch glimpses, both real and imagined, of what life is like on the outside during his confinement.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)