|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rosa react when she realizes Liesel is stealing from her?
2. What does Rosa do for a living?
3. How many fights did Max Vandenberg get in with his nemesis, Walter Kugler?
4. Which of the following characters teaches Liesel how to read?
5. Which body part does Liesel's school friend break while attending the book burning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Erik Vandenberg's widow respond when Hans Hubermann came knocking at her door?
2. What are Liesel's first impressions of Rosa and Hans Hubermann?
3. What happens to Liesel's younger brother while he is on the train at the opening of the novel?
4. Where does Rosa get the idea to send Liesel on all of her sales calls for the laundry business?
5. What does Max give to Liesel on her birthday?
6. How does Rudy Steiner express his admiration for Jesse Owens?
7. Where do Hans and Rosa hide Max in their house?
8. How do the Hubermann and Steiner families stretch the food they have during the recession so no one goes hungry?
9. How does Liesel react when she realizes the mayor's wife saw her steal the book from the bonfire?
10. How does Liesel fare during her first few weeks of school in Munich?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the ways Liesel finds acceptance after moving to a new school is to join a gang. First, describe the gang Liesel was a part of. Who is the leader? What does the gang fight for? Then, explain how the gang helps Liesel learn how to function within a group. How does this lesson come in handy for Liesel later on in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Rudy's experience within the Hitler Youth Organization was one that haunted him throughout his entire life. First, describe Rudy's initial experiences with the Hitler Youth Organization. Then, explain why Rudy was forced to switch groups at various times throughout his Nazi career. Finally, explain what skill Rudy exhibited, and how the Hitler Youth Organization responded to his unexpected skill.
Essay Topic 3
At the closing of the novel, Liesel has penned a book of her own. First, describe the book Liesel writes. What message does the book send to readers? After being separated from the book for most of her life, how is the book finally returned to Liesel? What does she learn about the message of her text upon its return? From Liesel's perspective, do you think the book she authored was a success? Why or why not?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)