|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which branch of the armed forces did Hans Hubermann fight in during WWI?
2. How does the reader know Liesel's brother is sick?
3. What type of fruit do Rudy and Liesel steal from local farmers?
4. Where does Liesel sit and wait for Hans to come and pick her up from the book burning?
5. Where was Hans Hubermann stationed when he fought in WWI?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Max greeted by the Hubermann family when he arrives on their doorstep?
2. How does Hans treat Liesel during the first few weeks she is at his home?
3. How was Max Vandenberg treated by his schoolmates as a child?
4. How does Liesel fare during her first few weeks of school in Munich?
5. How does Max escape from Stuttgard after the war breaks out?
6. When Frau Hermann invites LIesel inside her house, what does she show the young girl?
7. Whose name is written on the inside covers of the books kept in Frau Hermann's library?
8. How does Liesel celebrate her first Christmas with Hans and Rosa?
9. Why was Hans Hubermann asked to stay behind while the rest of his troop was sent in to battle in France during WWI?
10. What objects are given to the mysterious young man in Stuttgart to help him escape the city?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the closing of the novel, Liesel has penned a book of her own. First, describe the book Liesel writes. What message does the book send to readers? After being separated from the book for most of her life, how is the book finally returned to Liesel? What does she learn about the message of her text upon its return? From Liesel's perspective, do you think the book she authored was a success? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Rudy's experience within the Hitler Youth Organization was one that haunted him throughout his entire life. First, describe Rudy's initial experiences with the Hitler Youth Organization. Then, explain why Rudy was forced to switch groups at various times throughout his Nazi career. Finally, explain what skill Rudy exhibited, and how the Hitler Youth Organization responded to his unexpected skill.
Essay Topic 3
Liesel's journey into adulthood can be traced through the books she reads. Choose at least three titles Liesel reads throughout the course of the novel and explain what Liesel learned from each of these texts. Then, explain how the books Liesel reads can trace her growth into adulthood using the three books you've selected as primary examples.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)