|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following instruments does Hans Hubermann play?
2. In which room of the Hubermann household does Max hide while he is living with them?
3. Which of the following adjectives does Liesel use to describe Frau Hermann during the summer she spends reading with her?
4. What inanimate object does Max credit with saving his life?
5. What did Hans give to Erik Vandenberg's widow with the hopes of being able to help her family one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Hans punished for giving the starving Jew a piece of bread?
2. How is the mysterious young man in Stuttgart described when the reader sees him for the first time?
3. How does Rudy perform at the summer Hitler Youth carnival?
4. Who was Erik Vandenberg?
5. How does Michael Holtzapfel die?
6. Whose name is written on the inside covers of the books kept in Frau Hermann's library?
7. Why was Hans Hubermann asked to stay behind while the rest of his troop was sent in to battle in France during WWI?
8. What happens to Liesel's younger brother while he is on the train at the opening of the novel?
9. What objects are given to the mysterious young man in Stuttgart to help him escape the city?
10. What happens when Rudy sees an airplane go down outside the bomb shelter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While he is living in the basement, Max writes two books for Liesel. Describe each of the books in detail. Then, explain what message you think Max intended Liesel to take away from the books. Do you think his messages were received? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Liesel's life undergoes some major changes, starting with the opening chapter of the novel. First, describe what Liesel's familial situation is like at the opening of the novel. Then, describe what her familial situation is like at the end of the novel. What has changed about Liesel's sense of family?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in this novel suffer from recurring nightmares. Choose two characters who suffer from nightmares and describe the visions they have. How do these recurring nightmares affect the way these characters interact with the world and each other?
This section contains 1,952 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)