|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Outside of which building do Rudy and Liesel ice the sidewalk so they can steal a basket of food?
2. What object does Liesel regularly fish out of the trash bins to bring home to Max?
3. Which of the following political parties does Liesel think her mother belonged to?
4. What did Hans give to Erik Vandenberg's widow with the hopes of being able to help her family one day?
5. As a child, who saved Max from the Gestapo when they were removing Jews from the neighborhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whose name is written on the inside covers of the books kept in Frau Hermann's library?
2. How does Liesel manage to get a hold of a copy of the book "The Shoulder Shrug"?
3. Who was Erik Vandenberg?
4. Why is Liesel in a train at the opening of the novel?
5. How does Liesel celebrate her first Christmas with Hans and Rosa?
6. How does Rudy Steiner express his admiration for Jesse Owens?
7. How was Max Vandenberg treated by his schoolmates as a child?
8. How do the Hubermann and Steiner families stretch the food they have during the recession so no one goes hungry?
9. What are Liesel's first impressions of Rosa and Hans Hubermann?
10. How is Max greeted by the Hubermann family when he arrives on their doorstep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When WWII broke out, the economy in Munich was devastated. First, describe how the Hubermann and Steiner families were directly affected by the failing economy. Then, describe how each family managed to pick themselves up by their bootstraps and survive while surrounded by the abject poverty around them.
Essay Topic 2
Rudy's experience within the Hitler Youth Organization was one that haunted him throughout his entire life. First, describe Rudy's initial experiences with the Hitler Youth Organization. Then, explain why Rudy was forced to switch groups at various times throughout his Nazi career. Finally, explain what skill Rudy exhibited, and how the Hitler Youth Organization responded to his unexpected skill.
Essay Topic 3
Liesel's journey into adulthood can be traced through the books she reads. Choose at least three titles Liesel reads throughout the course of the novel and explain what Liesel learned from each of these texts. Then, explain how the books Liesel reads can trace her growth into adulthood using the three books you've selected as primary examples.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)