|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following books does Hans Jr. think is the most valuable book ever written?
2. Why does Liesel steal money from Rosa?
3. Why does Liesel struggle in school?
4. What does Rudy use to darken his body in the hopes of emulating Jesse Owens?
5. What is the name of the street where Liesel lives with the Hubermann family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the relationship between Hans and Hans Jr. strained?
2. How did Erik Vandenberg's widow respond when Hans Hubermann came knocking at her door?
3. How is Max greeted by the Hubermann family when he arrives on their doorstep?
4. What are Liesel's first impressions of Rosa and Hans Hubermann?
5. How does Liesel celebrate her first Christmas with Hans and Rosa?
6. How does Liesel manage to get a hold of a copy of the book "The Shoulder Shrug"?
7. What objects are given to the mysterious young man in Stuttgart to help him escape the city?
8. What does Max give to Liesel on her birthday?
9. How does Liesel react when she realizes the mayor's wife saw her steal the book from the bonfire?
10. How do the Hubermann and Steiner families stretch the food they have during the recession so no one goes hungry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book burning at the opening of the novel is an event that has a profound effect on Liesel and her relationship with the written word. First, describe why the Nazis were hosting a book burning in the first place, and what they hoped to accomplish during this event. Then, explain what inadvertent lessons Liesel learned by attending the event. From Liesel's perspective, was the book burning a success? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Rudy's experience within the Hitler Youth Organization was one that haunted him throughout his entire life. First, describe Rudy's initial experiences with the Hitler Youth Organization. Then, explain why Rudy was forced to switch groups at various times throughout his Nazi career. Finally, explain what skill Rudy exhibited, and how the Hitler Youth Organization responded to his unexpected skill.
Essay Topic 3
Rudy and Liesel have an interesting and dynamic relationship from the moment they meet. First, describe how Liesel and Rudy meet. Then, describe how the relationship between these two children changes over the course of the novel. Choose at least two major incidents from the novel and explain how these incidents affected the relationship between the children.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)