|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where does the shadow witness Liesel stealing a book from the bonfire?
2. Who places Liesel Meminger in foster care?
3. Why does Liesel struggle in school?
4. Which of the following activities do Rudy and Liesel spend the summer doing?
5. What does Rosa do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Max give to Liesel on her birthday?
2. What happens to Liesel's younger brother while he is on the train at the opening of the novel?
3. Who is Frau Diller?
4. How does Hans treat Liesel during the first few weeks she is at his home?
5. How does Liesel fare during her first few weeks of school in Munich?
6. How do the Hubermann and Steiner families stretch the food they have during the recession so no one goes hungry?
7. How did Erik Vandenberg's widow respond when Hans Hubermann came knocking at her door?
8. How does Max escape from Stuttgard after the war breaks out?
9. What are Liesel's first impressions of Rosa and Hans Hubermann?
10. What reaction does Liesel have when she overhears someone use the word "Communist" at the bonfire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hans manages to survive both World Wars even though he fought in both. First, describe how Hans managed to survive the first World War. Then, compare / contrast that to the way Hans managed to survive the second World War. What does Hans' knack for survival tell the reader about his character?
Essay Topic 2
One of the ways Liesel finds acceptance after moving to a new school is to join a gang. First, describe the gang Liesel was a part of. Who is the leader? What does the gang fight for? Then, explain how the gang helps Liesel learn how to function within a group. How does this lesson come in handy for Liesel later on in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Both Liesel and Hans have an artistic talent that brings peace to stressful situations. First, describe both Liesel and Hans' talents. Then, describe at least one situation when these characters use their artistic skill in the attempts to calm a crowd. What is the effect of their attempts?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)