|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Liesel clean off the door frame every day, left by Frau Hollapfel?
2. Why is Rosa fired by various customers while Liesel is learning how to read?
3. Which of the following instruments does Hans Hubermann play?
4. Who is the narrator of this novel?
5. What instrument did Erik Vandenberg play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Max escape from Stuttgard after the war breaks out?
2. How does Liesel celebrate her first Christmas with Hans and Rosa?
3. What reaction does Liesel have when she overhears someone use the word "Communist" at the bonfire?
4. Why was Hans Hubermann asked to stay behind while the rest of his troop was sent in to battle in France during WWI?
5. Whose name is written on the inside covers of the books kept in Frau Hermann's library?
6. What chores is Liesel expected to complete around the house while she is living with Hans and Rosa?
7. How does Liesel fare during her first few weeks of school in Munich?
8. What happens to Liesel's younger brother while he is on the train at the opening of the novel?
9. How do Liesel and Rudy manage to steal a food basket from a church?
10. Why is Liesel in a train at the opening of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Liesel's life undergoes some major changes, starting with the opening chapter of the novel. First, describe what Liesel's familial situation is like at the opening of the novel. Then, describe what her familial situation is like at the end of the novel. What has changed about Liesel's sense of family?
Essay Topic 2
Both Liesel and Hans have an artistic talent that brings peace to stressful situations. First, describe both Liesel and Hans' talents. Then, describe at least one situation when these characters use their artistic skill in the attempts to calm a crowd. What is the effect of their attempts?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in this novel suffer from recurring nightmares. Choose two characters who suffer from nightmares and describe the visions they have. How do these recurring nightmares affect the way these characters interact with the world and each other?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)