|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many soldiers survived the battle Hans Hubermann sat out during WWI?
2. What does Liesel clean off the door frame every day, left by Frau Hollapfel?
3. When Rudy is punished in Hitler Youth camp, what is he made to do?
4. What book does Liesel read over and over in Frau Hermann's library?
5. Which of the following school subjects does Liesel practice regularly with Max?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reaction does Liesel have when she overhears someone use the word "Communist" at the bonfire?
2. What happens to Liesel's younger brother while he is on the train at the opening of the novel?
3. How does Hans treat Liesel during the first few weeks she is at his home?
4. How do Liesel and Rudy manage to steal a food basket from a church?
5. Why was Hans Hubermann asked to stay behind while the rest of his troop was sent in to battle in France during WWI?
6. Where does Rosa get the idea to send Liesel on all of her sales calls for the laundry business?
7. How is the mysterious young man in Stuttgart described when the reader sees him for the first time?
8. When Frau Hermann invites LIesel inside her house, what does she show the young girl?
9. How did Erik Vandenberg's widow respond when Hans Hubermann came knocking at her door?
10. Who is Frau Diller?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the ways Liesel finds acceptance after moving to a new school is to join a gang. First, describe the gang Liesel was a part of. Who is the leader? What does the gang fight for? Then, explain how the gang helps Liesel learn how to function within a group. How does this lesson come in handy for Liesel later on in her life?
Essay Topic 2
When WWII broke out, the economy in Munich was devastated. First, describe how the Hubermann and Steiner families were directly affected by the failing economy. Then, describe how each family managed to pick themselves up by their bootstraps and survive while surrounded by the abject poverty around them.
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in this novel suffer from recurring nightmares. Choose two characters who suffer from nightmares and describe the visions they have. How do these recurring nightmares affect the way these characters interact with the world and each other?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)