Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Liesel clean off the door frame every day, left by Frau Hollapfel?
2. What book does the mysterious young man take on the train with him while traveling cross country?
3. To which German city is Liesel being relocated by the foster care system?
4. Which of the following characters teaches Liesel how to read?
5. Upon arriving safely to the Hubermann household, how long does Max sleep, uninterrupted?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Liesel manage to get a hold of a copy of the book "The Shoulder Shrug"?
2. What happens when Rudy sees an airplane go down outside the bomb shelter?
3. How was Max Vandenberg treated by his schoolmates as a child?
4. How does Rudy Steiner express his admiration for Jesse Owens?
5. How does Hans treat Liesel during the first few weeks she is at his home?
6. Why was Hans Hubermann asked to stay behind while the rest of his troop was sent in to battle in France during WWI?
7. How does the Hitler Youth Organization leader treat Rudy when he sees him on the street outside the church?
8. How does Max escape from Stuttgard after the war breaks out?
9. Who is Frau Diller?
10. Why does Hans suddenly begin working again during the summer of 1942?
Ilsa Hermann is a woman devastated by loss in her life. First, explain the loss Ilsa Hermann experiences. Then, describe how she attempts to cope with this loss. How does the loss in Ilsa Hermann's life affect her relationship with Liesel?
At the closing of the novel, Liesel has penned a book of her own. First, describe the book Liesel writes. What message does the book send to readers? After being separated from the book for most of her life, how is the book finally returned to Liesel? What does she learn about the message of her text upon its return? From Liesel's perspective, do you think the book she authored was a success? Why or why not?
Adolf Hitler's book "Mein Kampf" is a very important prop in the plot of this novel. First, describe what message Hitler was trying to send to the German people with his book. Then, give at least two examples of scenes in which characters from the novel use "Mein Kampf" as a tool to aid in the fight against Hitler.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)