|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was young Hans Hubermann asked to stay behind during his fight of WWI?
2. Upon arriving safely to the Hubermann household, how long does Max sleep, uninterrupted?
3. What does Liesel shout to Frau Hermann when the Frau fires Rosa from her laundry service?
4. In which room of the Hubermann household does Max hide while he is living with them?
5. Which of the following sports is Rudy most interested in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Liesel fare during her first few weeks of school in Munich?
2. Whose name is written on the inside covers of the books kept in Frau Hermann's library?
3. How does Liesel react when she realizes the mayor's wife saw her steal the book from the bonfire?
4. Where do Hans and Rosa hide Max in their house?
5. How do the Hubermann and Steiner families stretch the food they have during the recession so no one goes hungry?
6. How do Hans and Rosa react when Liesel asks for permission to write letters home to her mother?
7. How does Max escape from Stuttgard after the war breaks out?
8. How does Hans treat Liesel during the first few weeks she is at his home?
9. How is the mysterious young man in Stuttgart described when the reader sees him for the first time?
10. How was Max Vandenberg treated by his schoolmates as a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rudy and Liesel have an interesting and dynamic relationship from the moment they meet. First, describe how Liesel and Rudy meet. Then, describe how the relationship between these two children changes over the course of the novel. Choose at least two major incidents from the novel and explain how these incidents affected the relationship between the children.
Essay Topic 2
Both Liesel and Hans have an artistic talent that brings peace to stressful situations. First, describe both Liesel and Hans' talents. Then, describe at least one situation when these characters use their artistic skill in the attempts to calm a crowd. What is the effect of their attempts?
Essay Topic 3
While Max is living in the Hubermann's basement, he has little to no contact with the outside world. First, describe how Max spends his days while he is confined to the basement. Then, explain how Max manages to catch glimpses, both real and imagined, of what life is like on the outside during his confinement.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)