|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which body part does Liesel's school friend break while attending the book burning?
2. How many armed guards escort Liesel when she helps to bury her dead brother?
3. Which of the following sports is Rudy most interested in?
4. Which of the following characters stands up for Tommy Muller when he is being abused?
5. As a child, who saved Max from the Gestapo when they were removing Jews from the neighborhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Liesel's first impressions of Rosa and Hans Hubermann?
2. How does Max escape from Stuttgard after the war breaks out?
3. Why is the relationship between Hans and Hans Jr. strained?
4. How do Hans and Rosa react when Liesel asks for permission to write letters home to her mother?
5. What does Max give to Liesel on her birthday?
6. Who is Frau Diller?
7. How does Hans treat Liesel during the first few weeks she is at his home?
8. Where does Rosa get the idea to send Liesel on all of her sales calls for the laundry business?
9. Whose name is written on the inside covers of the books kept in Frau Hermann's library?
10. How does Liesel manage to get a hold of a copy of the book "The Shoulder Shrug"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Liesel and Hans have an artistic talent that brings peace to stressful situations. First, describe both Liesel and Hans' talents. Then, describe at least one situation when these characters use their artistic skill in the attempts to calm a crowd. What is the effect of their attempts?
Essay Topic 2
When Hans sees the starving Jewish prisoner being marched through town, he makes a snap decision that permanently affects his family. What are the pros to Hans' decision regarding the Jewish soldier? What are the cons? When the pros and cons are balanced, do you think Hans' decision regarding the soldier is a good one? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The book burning at the opening of the novel is an event that has a profound effect on Liesel and her relationship with the written word. First, describe why the Nazis were hosting a book burning in the first place, and what they hoped to accomplish during this event. Then, explain what inadvertent lessons Liesel learned by attending the event. From Liesel's perspective, was the book burning a success? Why or why not?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)