|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are men trolling the neighborhood where Liesel lives during her soccer game?
(a) They are searching for hidden Jews.
(b) They are handing out pamphlets about the Nazi party.
(c) They are inspecting basements that may be converted into bomb shelters.
(d) They are collecting donations to benefit the Hitler Youth organization.
2. How does Hans react to the news that he is going to be drafted to the war?
(a) He begins to pray.
(b) He tries to run away from home.
(c) He stoically accepts his fate.
(d) He gets drunk.
3. In what month of the year does Hans return home from the war?
4. Who breaks the news to Frau Holtzapfel that her son has died?
5. When the disgruntled card player dies, what part of Hans' body is broken?
(a) His leg.
(b) His nose.
(c) His neck.
(d) His arm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color do Hans' neighbors ask him to paint their windows?
2. During what month of the year does Frau Holtzapfel's son come home from the war?
3. Which of the following adjectives does Liesel use to describe the process of mixing paint?
4. Who does Michael write a letter to shortly before his death?
5. After Hans is drafted to the war, what sound does Liesel hear at night that wakes her from sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Frau Hermann finally confronts Liesel about stealing from her library?
2. What happens when Liesel sees Max being marched through town with a Jewish prisoner parade?
3. What fear does Rosa have if Max were to die?
4. How does Rudy perform at the summer Hitler Youth carnival?
5. Why does Liesel bring snow into the basement during winter?
6. Why do two men from the Nazi party suddenly show up at Rudy's home to speak with his parents?
7. How is Hans punished for giving the starving Jew a piece of bread?
8. What secret code do Liesel and Rosa concoct to communicate about Max in public?
9. How does Liesel come to own a Dictionary and Thesaurus?
10. How does Liesel save Max from being discovered when the men are trolling the neighborhood inspecting basements?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)