|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the narrator of this novel?
2. What does Liesel clean off the door frame every day, left by Frau Hollapfel?
(a) Chicken feathers.
(d) Newspaper clippings.
3. Why was young Hans Hubermann asked to stay behind during his fight of WWI?
(a) Because he was the best looking.
(b) Because he had a nice singing voice.
(c) Because he had good handwriting.
(d) Because he had a good sense of direction.
4. Outside of which building do Rudy and Liesel ice the sidewalk so they can steal a basket of food?
(a) The market.
(b) The school.
(c) The apple farm.
(d) The church.
5. Which of the following characters teaches Liesel how to read?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Max give to Liesel for her birthday?
2. Who places Liesel Meminger in foster care?
3. Which of the following mysterious characters is described as living in the dark shadows of Stuttgart?
4. What does Hans sell in order to buy Liesel two new books?
5. How does Liesel react when she sees Frau Hermann's library?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Hans and Rosa react when Liesel asks for permission to write letters home to her mother?
2. Why is Liesel in a train at the opening of the novel?
3. How was Max Vandenberg treated by his schoolmates as a child?
4. What reaction does Liesel have when she overhears someone use the word "Communist" at the bonfire?
5. How did Erik Vandenberg's widow respond when Hans Hubermann came knocking at her door?
6. What does Max give to Liesel on her birthday?
7. Who is Frau Diller?
8. How does Hans treat Liesel during the first few weeks she is at his home?
9. How does Liesel react when she realizes the mayor's wife saw her steal the book from the bonfire?
10. Why was Hans Hubermann asked to stay behind while the rest of his troop was sent in to battle in France during WWI?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)