|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hans give to Erik Vandenberg's widow with the hopes of being able to help her family one day?
(a) His social security card.
(b) His phone number.
(c) His address.
(d) His photograph.
2. What does Hans Hubermann do for a living?
(a) He is a teacher.
(b) He is a musician.
(c) He is a painter.
(d) He is a mechanic.
3. What does Liesel purchase with the coin she finds on the street outside Frau Dillard's house?
(d) A new dress.
4. When the mysterious character living in the shadows is brought food and keys, which character is the mystery character urged to locate?
(a) Rudy Steiner.
(b) Hans Hubermann.
(c) Max Vandenberg.
(d) Liesel Meminger.
5. Who sees Liesel steal the book from the bonfire?
(a) Adolf Hitler.
(c) Hans. Jr.
(d) The mayor's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does the mysterious young man take on the train with him while traveling cross country?
2. Which of the following mysterious characters is described as living in the dark shadows of Stuttgart?
3. Why was young Hans Hubermann asked to stay behind during his fight of WWI?
4. Which of the following characters teaches Liesel how to read?
5. At which holiday does Liesel finish reading "The Gravedigger's Handbook"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Hans and Rosa hide Max in their house?
2. Who was Erik Vandenberg?
3. How did Erik Vandenberg's widow respond when Hans Hubermann came knocking at her door?
4. Why is Liesel in a train at the opening of the novel?
5. How is Max greeted by the Hubermann family when he arrives on their doorstep?
6. When Frau Hermann invites LIesel inside her house, what does she show the young girl?
7. What reaction does Liesel have when she overhears someone use the word "Communist" at the bonfire?
8. Why is the relationship between Hans and Hans Jr. strained?
9. How do Hans and Rosa react when Liesel asks for permission to write letters home to her mother?
10. What chores is Liesel expected to complete around the house while she is living with Hans and Rosa?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)