|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hans sell in order to buy Liesel two new books?
(a) Homemade candles.
(b) His paintings.
(c) Locks of his hair.
(d) Hand-rolled cigarettes.
2. How does Hans react when he finds out Liesel stole a book from the bonfire?
(a) He understands why she stole it and does not punish her.
(b) He beats her.
(c) He forces her to go back and return it.
(d) He never finds out.
3. Which of Frau Hermann's relatives dies, leaving her deeply depressed?
(a) Her son.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her grandfather.
(d) Her sister.
4. How does Rosa feel about Liesel writing letters to her mother?
(a) Rosa does not know about the letters.
(b) Rosa is offended that Liesel still wants contact with her birth mother.
(c) Rosa feels it is a waste of time.
(d) Rosa forbids Liesel to pick up a pen.
5. Which of the following sports is Rudy most interested in?
(d) Track and Field.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where does the shadow witness Liesel stealing a book from the bonfire?
2. What is the name of the street where Liesel lives with the Hubermann family?
3. Which of the following adjectives best describes Rosa Hubermann?
4. Outside of which building do Rudy and Liesel ice the sidewalk so they can steal a basket of food?
5. Which of the following emotions does Max feel comfortable expressing only in his journal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Max escape from Stuttgard after the war breaks out?
2. Where does Rosa get the idea to send Liesel on all of her sales calls for the laundry business?
3. What happens to Liesel's younger brother while he is on the train at the opening of the novel?
4. Why was Hans Hubermann asked to stay behind while the rest of his troop was sent in to battle in France during WWI?
5. How does Rudy Steiner express his admiration for Jesse Owens?
6. How do Liesel and Rudy manage to steal a food basket from a church?
7. How does Liesel fare during her first few weeks of school in Munich?
8. When Frau Hermann invites LIesel inside her house, what does she show the young girl?
9. How does Liesel celebrate her first Christmas with Hans and Rosa?
10. Why is the relationship between Hans and Hans Jr. strained?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)