|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event does the city stage in celebration of the Fuehrer's birthday?
(a) A bonfire.
(b) A feast.
(c) A carnival.
(d) They ignore the birthday completely.
2. Outside of which building do Rudy and Liesel ice the sidewalk so they can steal a basket of food?
(a) The apple farm.
(b) The church.
(c) The school.
(d) The market.
3. Which of the following activities does Hans Hubermann convince Liesel to do after she has been in the house for a few weeks?
(a) Walk the dogs.
(b) Eat porridge.
(c) Change her clothes.
(d) Take a bath.
4. What instrument did Erik Vandenberg play?
(a) The banjo.
(b) The bagpipes.
(c) The harmonica.
(d) The accordian.
5. How does Liesel feel about the scheduled book burning?
(a) She is outraged.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is nervous.
(d) She is excited.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Liesel purchase with the coin she finds on the street outside Frau Dillard's house?
2. What does Rudy use to darken his body in the hopes of emulating Jesse Owens?
3. How does the reader know Liesel's brother is sick?
4. Who places Liesel Meminger in foster care?
5. What does Rosa do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Liesel's younger brother while he is on the train at the opening of the novel?
2. How do the Hubermann and Steiner families stretch the food they have during the recession so no one goes hungry?
3. How did Erik Vandenberg's widow respond when Hans Hubermann came knocking at her door?
4. Who was Erik Vandenberg?
5. How do the citizens of Molching decide to celebrate the birthday of the Fueher?
6. How was Max Vandenberg treated by his schoolmates as a child?
7. How does Rudy Steiner express his admiration for Jesse Owens?
8. What reaction does Liesel have when she overhears someone use the word "Communist" at the bonfire?
9. How does Max escape from Stuttgard after the war breaks out?
10. Why was Hans Hubermann asked to stay behind while the rest of his troop was sent in to battle in France during WWI?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)