|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hans offer to the starving Jewish soldier he sees being marched through the streets?
(a) An apple.
2. How many races does Rudy sign up for during the Hitler Youth carnival?
3. How many races does Rudy WIN during the Hitler Youth carnival?
4. How does Michael Holtzapfel die?
(a) He commits suicide.
(b) He drowns in the river.
(c) He has a heart attack.
(d) His mother smothers him.
5. Why is the Nazi party interested in giving Rudy a full scholarship to their school?
(a) Because of his athletic prowess.
(b) Because of his outbursts against Hitler.
(c) Because of his race.
(d) Because of his academic achievements.
6. Where are Liesel and her family expected to hide out during the air raid drills?
(a) In their neighbor's basement.
(b) In the local swimming pool.
(c) In the church basement.
(d) In their own basement.
7. What confession does Rudy make to Liesel when they run away from home together?
(a) That he does not miss his father.
(b) That he hates Hitler.
(c) That he cries himself to sleep at night.
(d) That he is in love with her.
8. Who does Michael write a letter to shortly before his death?
(a) His mother.
(d) His brother.
9. Why are men trolling the neighborhood where Liesel lives during her soccer game?
(a) They are inspecting basements that may be converted into bomb shelters.
(b) They are collecting donations to benefit the Hitler Youth organization.
(c) They are handing out pamphlets about the Nazi party.
(d) They are searching for hidden Jews.
10. How long has Max been hiding in the basement before he sees the sky?
(a) Four years.
(b) One year.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two years.
11. In what month of the year does Hans return home from the war?
12. How does the disgruntled card player die?
(a) In a car accident.
(b) From a heart attack.
(c) By a sniper shot.
(d) By a roadside bomb.
13. What is Hans' major responsibility during the war?
(a) Mapping enemy movement.
(b) Administering medical aid.
(c) Putting out fires.
(d) Feeding the troops.
14. During what month of the year does Frau Holtzapfel's son come home from the war?
15. What does Frau Holtzapfel offer to trade Liesel in exchange for reading sessions?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first character to see the fire in the distance upon emerging from the air raid shelter?
2. What does Rudy hear when he eavesdrops on the conversation between the Nazi party and his parents?
3. After their raid with Viktor Chemmel, how many apples are Liesel and Rudy given as payment?
4. How does Hans react to the news that he is going to be drafted to the war?
5. What does Liesel attempt to do with Max when she sees him being paraded through town?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)