|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rosa shout at Liesel for, signaling to her that Max has awoken from his coma?
(a) For using her hairbrush.
(b) For forgetting to hang up the laundry.
(c) For tracking mud through the kitchen.
(d) For leaving the milk out to spoil.
2. What ethnicity is the pilot whose plane has crashed near the river?
3. How does Hans react to the news that he is going to be drafted to the war?
(a) He stoically accepts his fate.
(b) He begins to pray.
(c) He tries to run away from home.
(d) He gets drunk.
4. What color do Hans' neighbors ask him to paint their windows?
5. In what German city is Hans stationed during the war?
6. Which of the following characters is NOT in the room with Rudy when he has to strip naked for the Nazi physical?
(a) His father.
(b) A doctor and nurse.
(c) Two other boys being examined.
(d) A school official.
7. In which German city is Max captured?
8. After Hans is drafted to the war, what sound does Liesel hear at night that wakes her from sleep?
(a) A woman weeping.
(b) Bombs exploding.
(c) The wind howling.
(d) An accordion.
9. Which of the following characters is drafted to the war at the same time as Hans?
(a) Rudy Steiner.
(b) Hans Jr.
(c) Max Vandenberg.
(d) Herr Steiner.
10. Who saves Liesel from being beaten to death by the German soldier guarding Max?
(a) Frau Hermann.
11. Where is Michael Holtzapfel's body found?
(a) At the local cemetery.
(b) In a shop.
(c) His body is never found.
(d) By the riverbed.
12. According to Max's dreams, what is Liesel meant to shake in opposition to Hitler?
(a) Her hips.
(d) Church pillars.
13. What does Hans offer to the starving Jewish soldier he sees being marched through the streets?
(c) An apple.
14. What does Rudy hear when he eavesdrops on the conversation between the Nazi party and his parents?
(a) That his mother is going to jail.
(b) Rudy does not eavesdrop on the conversation.
(c) That his father is being drafted into the military.
(d) That Hitler has been assassinated.
15. Who does Michael write a letter to shortly before his death?
(a) His brother.
(c) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character fears that Max has caught an incurable cold?
2. Who does Liesel continue to search for during the prisoner parades through town?
3. How many races does Rudy WIN during the Hitler Youth carnival?
4. Why is the Nazi party interested in giving Rudy a full scholarship to their school?
5. With what weapon are both Hans and the starving prisoner beaten by the guard?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)