|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After their raid with Viktor Chemmel, how many apples are Liesel and Rudy given as payment?
(a) Twenty apples each.
(b) Five apples each.
(c) One apple each.
(d) Ten apples each.
2. During what month of the year does Frau Holtzapfel's son come home from the war?
3. How long has Max been hiding in the basement before he sees the sky?
(a) One year.
(b) Two years.
(c) Six months.
(d) Four years.
4. What does Rudy hear when he eavesdrops on the conversation between the Nazi party and his parents?
(a) That his mother is going to jail.
(b) That his father is being drafted into the military.
(c) That Hitler has been assassinated.
(d) Rudy does not eavesdrop on the conversation.
5. Where is Michael Holtzapfel's body found?
(a) By the riverbed.
(b) At the local cemetery.
(c) In a shop.
(d) His body is never found.
6. Which of the following adjectives does Liesel use to describe the process of mixing paint?
7. Which of the following characters is drafted to the war at the same time as Hans?
(a) Hans Jr.
(b) Max Vandenberg.
(c) Rudy Steiner.
(d) Herr Steiner.
8. Which of the following actions does Hans cease doing once he arrives on the war front?
(b) Writing letters home.
9. What does Hans offer to the starving Jewish soldier he sees being marched through the streets?
(c) An apple.
10. How does Hans react to the news that he is going to be drafted to the war?
(a) He begins to pray.
(b) He tries to run away from home.
(c) He stoically accepts his fate.
(d) He gets drunk.
11. In what German city is Hans stationed during the war?
12. According to Max's dreams, what is Liesel meant to shake in opposition to Hitler?
(b) Her hips.
(c) Church pillars.
13. Where are Liesel and her family expected to hide out during the air raid drills?
(a) In the church basement.
(b) In their neighbor's basement.
(c) In their own basement.
(d) In the local swimming pool.
14. What title does Max give to his journal before skipping town?
(a) The Dream Carrier.
(b) The Book Thief.
(c) The Word Shaker.
(d) The Standover Man.
15. After Hans is drafted to the war, what sound does Liesel hear at night that wakes her from sleep?
(a) A woman weeping.
(b) The wind howling.
(c) An accordion.
(d) Bombs exploding.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the disgruntled card player die?
2. According to Frau Hermann, who owns the library in her house?
3. When the disgruntled card player dies, what part of Hans' body is broken?
4. What food item does Liesel find on Frau Hermann's desk around Christmas time?
5. What does the disgruntled card player steal from Hans after their game?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)