|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Liesel continue to search for during the prisoner parades through town?
(b) Her mother.
(c) The prisoner Hans tried to help.
2. Who breaks the news to Frau Holtzapfel that her son has died?
3. What confession does Rudy make to Liesel when they run away from home together?
(a) That he hates Hitler.
(b) That he cries himself to sleep at night.
(c) That he does not miss his father.
(d) That he is in love with her.
4. When the disgruntled card player dies, what part of Hans' body is broken?
(a) His leg.
(b) His neck.
(c) His nose.
(d) His arm.
5. Where is Michael Holtzapfel's body found?
(a) By the riverbed.
(b) In a shop.
(c) His body is never found.
(d) At the local cemetery.
6. How do Rudy's parents feel when the Nazi party offers Rudy a full scholarship to one of their training schools?
(a) They are confused.
(b) They are unsure about whether or not the school is a good fit for Rudy.
(c) They don't want him to go.
(d) They are honored.
7. What alcoholic beverage is Hans paid in, which he allows Liesel to drink with him?
8. To which concentration camp is the starving prisoner being relocated?
9. What does Rudy hear when he eavesdrops on the conversation between the Nazi party and his parents?
(a) Rudy does not eavesdrop on the conversation.
(b) That Hitler has been assassinated.
(c) That his father is being drafted into the military.
(d) That his mother is going to jail.
10. Who does Michael write a letter to shortly before his death?
(a) His brother.
(d) His mother.
11. After Hans is drafted to the war, what sound does Liesel hear at night that wakes her from sleep?
(a) The wind howling.
(b) An accordion.
(c) Bombs exploding.
(d) A woman weeping.
12. What does Liesel steal from the mayor's house the first time she breaks in?
(a) A book.
(b) Lacy underwear.
(c) Petty cash.
13. Which of the following characters does NOT try to bully Frau Holtzapfel into the air raid shelter when she refuses to go?
14. Why does Rudy pack a toolbox?
(a) To fix his father's car.
(b) To join the war effort.
(c) To break into houses.
(d) To run away with Liesel.
15. With what weapon are both Hans and the starving prisoner beaten by the guard?
(a) A stone.
(b) A pistol.
(c) A whip.
(d) A rope.
Short Answer Questions
1. During their only Christmas together, what does Liesel give to Rudy as a gift?
2. Who is Rudy most terrified of seeing him fail?
3. Which of the following actions does Hans cease doing once he arrives on the war front?
4. What does the Hitler Youth leader use to cut Rudy's hair in the middle of the street?
5. What does Hans offer to the starving Jewish soldier he sees being marched through the streets?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)