|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Rudy and Liesel break into the mayor's house?
(a) Through the window.
(b) Through the servant's entrance.
(c) Through the wine cellar.
(d) Through an unlocked door.
2. How many races does Rudy WIN during the Hitler Youth carnival?
3. During what month of the year does Max collapse in the basement?
4. How does Hans react to the news that he is going to be drafted to the war?
(a) He gets drunk.
(b) He tries to run away from home.
(c) He begins to pray.
(d) He stoically accepts his fate.
5. Which of the following characters is NOT in the room with Rudy when he has to strip naked for the Nazi physical?
(a) His father.
(b) A school official.
(c) Two other boys being examined.
(d) A doctor and nurse.
6. Which character fears that Max has caught an incurable cold?
7. During what month of the year does Frau Holtzapfel's son come home from the war?
8. Which of the following characters does NOT try to bully Frau Holtzapfel into the air raid shelter when she refuses to go?
9. Which of the following actions does Hans cease doing once he arrives on the war front?
(c) Writing letters home.
10. Who does Michael write a letter to shortly before his death?
(a) His mother.
(b) His brother.
11. What food item does Liesel find on Frau Hermann's desk around Christmas time?
(a) Cherry pie.
(b) Chocolate muffins.
(c) Christmas cookies.
(d) Fruit cake.
12. What does the Hitler Youth leader use to cut Rudy's hair in the middle of the street?
(a) A switchblade.
(b) A pair of scissors.
(c) A broken glass.
(d) A pocket knife.
13. Why are men trolling the neighborhood where Liesel lives during her soccer game?
(a) They are inspecting basements that may be converted into bomb shelters.
(b) They are collecting donations to benefit the Hitler Youth organization.
(c) They are handing out pamphlets about the Nazi party.
(d) They are searching for hidden Jews.
14. When the disgruntled card player dies, what part of Hans' body is broken?
(a) His leg.
(b) His arm.
(c) His neck.
(d) His nose.
15. How many gifts does Liesel bring to Max in total during his time of sickness?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Liesel and her family expected to hide out during the air raid drills?
2. Who breaks the news to Frau Holtzapfel that her son has died?
3. Which of the following items is NOT something Frau Hermann leaves on her windowsill for Liesel to collect?
4. What card game does Hans regularly play with his troops?
5. Why does Rudy pack a toolbox?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)