|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are men trolling the neighborhood where Liesel lives during her soccer game?
(a) They are inspecting basements that may be converted into bomb shelters.
(b) They are collecting donations to benefit the Hitler Youth organization.
(c) They are handing out pamphlets about the Nazi party.
(d) They are searching for hidden Jews.
2. Why does Rudy pack a toolbox?
(a) To run away with Liesel.
(b) To join the war effort.
(c) To break into houses.
(d) To fix his father's car.
3. What is Hans' major responsibility during the war?
(a) Feeding the troops.
(b) Mapping enemy movement.
(c) Administering medical aid.
(d) Putting out fires.
4. What question does the Hitler Youth leader ask Rudy on the street before beating him in front of his friends?
(a) Where did Hitler go to college?
(b) What is Hitler's favorite food?
(c) What is Hitler's middle name?
(d) Where was Hitler born?
5. What confession does Rudy make to Liesel when they run away from home together?
(a) That he does not miss his father.
(b) That he is in love with her.
(c) That he hates Hitler.
(d) That he cries himself to sleep at night.
6. How does Hans learn that he has been accepted in the Nazi party?
(a) Nazi soldiers knock on his door.
(b) A sign is posted in town.
(c) He gets a phone call.
(d) A letter arrives.
7. To which concentration camp is the starving prisoner being relocated?
8. What excuse does Rudy give the shopkeeper when he is caught stealing apples from the market?
(a) That he is actually a misguided prince.
(b) That he forgot his wallet.
(c) That his family is starving.
(d) That this is all a big misunderstanding.
9. Which of the following food items does Liesel leave around town in case the Jewish prisoners get hungry?
10. Which of the following items is NOT something Liesel gives to Max hoping it will heal him from his sickness?
(a) A soccer ball.
(b) A description of a cloud.
(c) A bouquet of flowers.
(d) A feather.
11. Which character fears that Max has caught an incurable cold?
12. Which of the following items is NOT something Frau Hermann leaves on her windowsill for Liesel to collect?
(a) Liesel's shoes.
(b) A note.
(c) A dictionary.
(d) A thesaurus.
13. After Hans is drafted to the war, what sound does Liesel hear at night that wakes her from sleep?
(a) Bombs exploding.
(b) The wind howling.
(c) An accordion.
(d) A woman weeping.
14. What job does Hans take upon returning home from the war?
(a) A police job.
(b) He is unemployed.
(c) A desk job.
(d) A teaching job.
15. What ethnicity is the pilot whose plane has crashed near the river?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what German city is Hans stationed during the war?
2. After their raid with Viktor Chemmel, how many apples are Liesel and Rudy given as payment?
3. Which of the following actions does Hans cease doing once he arrives on the war front?
4. During what year do the air raids begin in Munich?
5. When the disgruntled card player dies, what part of Hans' body is broken?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)