|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters does NOT try to bully Frau Holtzapfel into the air raid shelter when she refuses to go?
2. Which of the following items is NOT something Liesel gives to Max hoping it will heal him from his sickness?
(a) A bouquet of flowers.
(b) A description of a cloud.
(c) A soccer ball.
(d) A feather.
3. How does Liesel describe the alcoholic drink she sips with Hans?
4. What does Liesel accidentally leave behind in the mayor's house while she is robbing him?
(a) Her gloves.
(b) Her hat.
(c) Her shoes.
(d) Her jacket.
5. What is Hans' major responsibility during the war?
(a) Mapping enemy movement.
(b) Putting out fires.
(c) Feeding the troops.
(d) Administering medical aid.
6. How long has Max been hiding in the basement before he sees the sky?
(a) Two years.
(b) Four years.
(c) One year.
(d) Six months.
7. Which of the following adjectives does Liesel use to describe the process of mixing paint?
8. How does Frau Hermann react when she realizes that Liesel is stealing from her?
(a) She is apathetic.
(b) She is angered.
(c) She is confused.
(d) She is saddened.
9. What excuse does Rudy give the shopkeeper when he is caught stealing apples from the market?
(a) That he forgot his wallet.
(b) That he is actually a misguided prince.
(c) That his family is starving.
(d) That this is all a big misunderstanding.
10. What job does Hans take upon returning home from the war?
(a) He is unemployed.
(b) A police job.
(c) A desk job.
(d) A teaching job.
11. Why are men trolling the neighborhood where Liesel lives during her soccer game?
(a) They are searching for hidden Jews.
(b) They are handing out pamphlets about the Nazi party.
(c) They are collecting donations to benefit the Hitler Youth organization.
(d) They are inspecting basements that may be converted into bomb shelters.
12. With what weapon are both Hans and the starving prisoner beaten by the guard?
(a) A stone.
(b) A rope.
(c) A pistol.
(d) A whip.
13. Why is the Nazi party interested in giving Rudy a full scholarship to their school?
(a) Because of his academic achievements.
(b) Because of his outbursts against Hitler.
(c) Because of his race.
(d) Because of his athletic prowess.
14. To which concentration camp is the starving prisoner being relocated?
15. In what German city is Hans stationed during the war?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many races does Rudy sign up for during the Hitler Youth carnival?
2. How many gifts does Liesel bring to Max in total during his time of sickness?
3. After their raid with Viktor Chemmel, how many apples are Liesel and Rudy given as payment?
4. What title does Max give to his journal before skipping town?
5. Which of the following characters does NOT get up in the middle of the night during the air raid sirens?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)