|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Liesel steal from the mayor's house the first time she breaks in?
(a) Lacy underwear.
(b) A book.
(d) Petty cash.
2. How does Michael Holtzapfel die?
(a) He commits suicide.
(b) His mother smothers him.
(c) He has a heart attack.
(d) He drowns in the river.
3. What does the disgruntled card player steal from Hans after their game?
(a) His food ration card.
(b) His letters from Liesel.
(c) His photos of Rosa.
(d) His seat in the car.
4. Which of the following units is Hans assigned to in the war?
5. How does Hans learn that he has been accepted in the Nazi party?
(a) He gets a phone call.
(b) A letter arrives.
(c) A sign is posted in town.
(d) Nazi soldiers knock on his door.
6. Which of the following characters does NOT try to bully Frau Holtzapfel into the air raid shelter when she refuses to go?
7. What is Hans' major responsibility during the war?
(a) Feeding the troops.
(b) Mapping enemy movement.
(c) Putting out fires.
(d) Administering medical aid.
8. How does Hans react to the news that he is going to be drafted to the war?
(a) He stoically accepts his fate.
(b) He begins to pray.
(c) He gets drunk.
(d) He tries to run away from home.
9. What does Liesel attempt to do with Max when she sees him being paraded through town?
10. How many gifts does Liesel bring to Max in total during his time of sickness?
11. With what weapon are both Hans and the starving prisoner beaten by the guard?
(a) A whip.
(b) A stone.
(c) A rope.
(d) A pistol.
12. Which of the following characters is NOT in the room with Rudy when he has to strip naked for the Nazi physical?
(a) A doctor and nurse.
(b) Two other boys being examined.
(c) A school official.
(d) His father.
13. When the disgruntled card player dies, what part of Hans' body is broken?
(a) His arm.
(b) His leg.
(c) His neck.
(d) His nose.
14. What job does Hans take upon returning home from the war?
(a) A desk job.
(b) A police job.
(c) He is unemployed.
(d) A teaching job.
15. How does the disgruntled card player die?
(a) In a car accident.
(b) By a roadside bomb.
(c) From a heart attack.
(d) By a sniper shot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following actions does Hans cease doing once he arrives on the war front?
2. Why are men trolling the neighborhood where Liesel lives during her soccer game?
3. Which of the following characters does NOT get up in the middle of the night during the air raid sirens?
4. Which of the following adjectives does Liesel use to describe the process of mixing paint?
5. During what month of the year does Liesel resume playing soccer with her neighborhood friends?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)