|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who saves Liesel from being beaten to death by the German soldier guarding Max?
(c) Frau Hermann.
2. How does Hans react to the news that he is going to be drafted to the war?
(a) He gets drunk.
(b) He begins to pray.
(c) He stoically accepts his fate.
(d) He tries to run away from home.
3. How does the disgruntled card player die?
(a) By a roadside bomb.
(b) From a heart attack.
(c) By a sniper shot.
(d) In a car accident.
4. What food item does Liesel find on Frau Hermann's desk around Christmas time?
(a) Chocolate muffins.
(b) Fruit cake.
(c) Cherry pie.
(d) Christmas cookies.
5. How many gifts does Liesel bring to Max in total during his time of sickness?
6. Which of the following characters does NOT get up in the middle of the night during the air raid sirens?
7. What does Hans offer to the starving Jewish soldier he sees being marched through the streets?
(c) An apple.
8. Which of the following characters is NOT in the room with Rudy when he has to strip naked for the Nazi physical?
(a) His father.
(b) A school official.
(c) Two other boys being examined.
(d) A doctor and nurse.
9. What ethnicity is the pilot whose plane has crashed near the river?
10. What does Liesel bring into Max's room on Christmas Eve?
(d) A feast.
11. Who does Michael write a letter to shortly before his death?
(b) His brother.
(d) His mother.
12. How does Hans learn that he has been accepted in the Nazi party?
(a) A letter arrives.
(b) Nazi soldiers knock on his door.
(c) A sign is posted in town.
(d) He gets a phone call.
13. What does Rosa shout at Liesel for, signaling to her that Max has awoken from his coma?
(a) For using her hairbrush.
(b) For tracking mud through the kitchen.
(c) For forgetting to hang up the laundry.
(d) For leaving the milk out to spoil.
14. Which of the following characters is drafted to the war at the same time as Hans?
(a) Rudy Steiner.
(b) Max Vandenberg.
(c) Hans Jr.
(d) Herr Steiner.
15. Which of the following adjectives does Liesel use to describe the process of mixing paint?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Rudy's parents feel when the Nazi party offers Rudy a full scholarship to one of their training schools?
2. Why are men trolling the neighborhood where Liesel lives during her soccer game?
3. What does the disgruntled card player steal from Hans after their game?
4. What does Liesel attempt to do with Max when she sees him being paraded through town?
5. What punishment does Hans receive for helping the starving Jew from the parade?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)