|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During what month of the year does Frau Holtzapfel's son come home from the war?
2. Why are men trolling the neighborhood where Liesel lives during her soccer game?
(a) They are searching for hidden Jews.
(b) They are collecting donations to benefit the Hitler Youth organization.
(c) They are handing out pamphlets about the Nazi party.
(d) They are inspecting basements that may be converted into bomb shelters.
3. Which of the following actions does Hans cease doing once he arrives on the war front?
(d) Writing letters home.
4. In what month of the year does Hans return home from the war?
5. Who does Michael write a letter to shortly before his death?
(b) His mother.
(c) His brother.
6. How does Rudy feel after the Nazi physical?
7. What does Liesel steal from the mayor's house the first time she breaks in?
(a) A book.
(b) Lacy underwear.
(c) Petty cash.
8. What is the title of the book Liesel steals from Frau Hermann's library while Max is sick?
(a) The Shoulder Shrug.
(b) The Whistler.
(c) The Dream Catcher.
(d) The Gravedigger's Handbook.
9. Who breaks the news to Frau Holtzapfel that her son has died?
10. What punishment does Hans receive for helping the starving Jew from the parade?
(a) He is sent to jail for six weeks.
(b) He is not punished.
(c) He is beaten.
(d) He is fined.
11. What title does Max give to his journal before skipping town?
(a) The Standover Man.
(b) The Book Thief.
(c) The Dream Carrier.
(d) The Word Shaker.
12. What color do Hans' neighbors ask him to paint their windows?
13. How does the disgruntled card player die?
(a) In a car accident.
(b) From a heart attack.
(c) By a roadside bomb.
(d) By a sniper shot.
14. What is Hans' major responsibility during the war?
(a) Mapping enemy movement.
(b) Feeding the troops.
(c) Putting out fires.
(d) Administering medical aid.
15. Why does Rudy pack a toolbox?
(a) To break into houses.
(b) To join the war effort.
(c) To run away with Liesel.
(d) To fix his father's car.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters does NOT try to bully Frau Holtzapfel into the air raid shelter when she refuses to go?
2. What excuse does Rudy give the shopkeeper when he is caught stealing apples from the market?
3. What food item does Liesel find on Frau Hermann's desk around Christmas time?
4. After their raid with Viktor Chemmel, how many apples are Liesel and Rudy given as payment?
5. During what month of the year does Liesel resume playing soccer with her neighborhood friends?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)