|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the disgruntled card player steal from Hans after their game?
(a) His seat in the car.
(b) His photos of Rosa.
(c) His food ration card.
(d) His letters from Liesel.
2. What does Rudy ask Liesel for after he rescues her book from the river?
(b) An apple.
(c) A gun.
(d) A kiss.
3. Which of the following actions does Hans cease doing once he arrives on the war front?
(c) Writing letters home.
4. What card game does Hans regularly play with his troops?
5. Why is the Nazi party interested in giving Rudy a full scholarship to their school?
(a) Because of his outbursts against Hitler.
(b) Because of his race.
(c) Because of his athletic prowess.
(d) Because of his academic achievements.
6. What job does Hans take upon returning home from the war?
(a) A teaching job.
(b) A police job.
(c) A desk job.
(d) He is unemployed.
7. What ethnicity is the pilot whose plane has crashed near the river?
8. During what month of the year does Liesel resume playing soccer with her neighborhood friends?
9. What is the title of the book Liesel steals from Frau Hermann's library while Max is sick?
(a) The Shoulder Shrug.
(b) The Gravedigger's Handbook.
(c) The Dream Catcher.
(d) The Whistler.
10. How does Hans react to the news that he is going to be drafted to the war?
(a) He tries to run away from home.
(b) He gets drunk.
(c) He stoically accepts his fate.
(d) He begins to pray.
11. Who breaks the news to Frau Holtzapfel that her son has died?
12. In what German city is Hans stationed during the war?
13. According to Frau Hermann, who owns the library in her house?
(a) Her husband does.
(b) God does.
(c) She does.
(d) Hitler does.
14. What is Hans' major responsibility during the war?
(a) Mapping enemy movement.
(b) Feeding the troops.
(c) Putting out fires.
(d) Administering medical aid.
15. How does Liesel manage to warn Max about the men trolling the neighborhood, who may discover him?
(a) She fakes an injury and runs home.
(b) She shouts to him using their secret code for danger.
(c) She warns Hans, who hurries home to hide Max.
(d) She does not warn Max, and he is discovered.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Rudy give the shopkeeper when he is caught stealing apples from the market?
2. Which of her belongings does Liesel bring into the bomb shelter with her during air raids?
3. Who does Michael write a letter to shortly before his death?
4. Why are men trolling the neighborhood where Liesel lives during her soccer game?
5. How long has Max been hiding in the basement before he sees the sky?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)