|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives does Liesel use to describe Frau Hermann during the summer she spends reading with her?
2. Where was Hans Hubermann stationed when he fought in WWI?
3. In which room of the Hubermann household does Max hide while he is living with them?
(a) In the basement.
(b) In the library.
(c) In the cellar.
(d) In the attic.
4. What did Hans give to Erik Vandenberg's widow with the hopes of being able to help her family one day?
(a) His social security card.
(b) His address.
(c) His photograph.
(d) His phone number.
5. What event does the city stage in celebration of the Fuehrer's birthday?
(a) A carnival.
(b) A bonfire.
(c) They ignore the birthday completely.
(d) A feast.
6. Which body part does Liesel's school friend break while attending the book burning?
(a) His arm.
(b) His neck.
(c) His nose.
(d) His ankle.
7. Which of the following sports is Rudy most interested in?
(c) Track and Field.
8. Which of the following instruments does Hans Hubermann play?
9. To which of the following institutions is the Fuehrer most closely tied?
10. Where does Liesel sit and wait for Hans to come and pick her up from the book burning?
(a) At the library.
(b) At the hospital.
(c) At the school.
(d) At the church.
11. Why is Rosa fired by various customers while Liesel is learning how to read?
(a) Becuase she has been caught stealing.
(b) Because she is terrible at her job.
(c) Because of the declining economy.
(d) Because customers don't approve of Liesel's education.
12. Which of the following customers is Liesel so afraid of that she skips over her house whenever possible?
(a) Frau Hollapfel.
(b) Frau Hansel.
(c) Frau Hermann.
(d) Frau Hubermann.
13. What is the BDM?
(a) Cooking Club.
(b) Band of German Girls.
(c) Hitler's Youth Organization.
(d) Girl Scouts.
14. Why was Max Vandenberg bullied as a child?
(a) Because he was small.
(b) Because he was poor.
(c) Because he had a speech impediment.
(d) Because he was Jewish.
15. Which of the following things does Liesel describe for Max using the most colorful language she can think of?
(a) The rain forests.
(b) The weather.
(c) The ocean.
(d) The night sky.
Short Answer Questions
1. At which holiday does Liesel finish reading "The Gravedigger's Handbook"?
2. Which of Frau Hermann's relatives dies, leaving her deeply depressed?
3. Which of the following activities does Hans Hubermann convince Liesel to do after she has been in the house for a few weeks?
4. What does Max give to Liesel for her birthday?
5. How does the mysterious young man get into the Hubermann household?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)