|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hans Hubermann do for a living?
(a) He is a painter.
(b) He is a teacher.
(c) He is a musician.
(d) He is a mechanic.
2. Why is Hans Jr. embarrassed to be seen with his father?
(a) Because his father has not yet joined the Nazi party.
(b) Because his father is uneducated and illiterate.
(c) Because his father aligns himself with Hitler.
(d) Because his father is an atheist when it is fashionable to be Catholic.
3. What does Rudy use to darken his body in the hopes of emulating Jesse Owens?
(a) Magic Marker.
4. When Rudy is punished in Hitler Youth camp, what is he made to do?
(c) Jumping jacks.
5. Which of the following adjectives does Liesel use to describe Frau Hermann during the summer she spends reading with her?
6. How does Hans react when he finds out Liesel stole a book from the bonfire?
(a) He forces her to go back and return it.
(b) He beats her.
(c) He understands why she stole it and does not punish her.
(d) He never finds out.
7. Which of the following emotions does Max feel comfortable expressing only in his journal?
8. Why does Liesel steal money from Rosa?
(a) To pay for postage stamps.
(b) To pay for new shoes.
(c) To pay for books.
(d) To pay for a train ticket.
9. How does Rosa react when she realizes Liesel is stealing from her?
(a) Rosa forgives her.
(b) Rosa makes her scrub the floor with a toothbrush.
(c) Rosa beats her.
(d) Rosa ignores her.
10. What part of her body is burned when Liesel steals a copy of "The Shoulder Shrug"?
(a) Her back.
(b) Her ribs.
(c) Her neck.
(d) Her fingertips.
11. Who places Liesel Meminger in foster care?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her grandfather.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Her mother.
12. Where was Hans Hubermann stationed when he fought in WWI?
13. Which of the following books does Hans Jr. think is the most valuable book ever written?
(a) The Gravedigger's Handbook.
(b) The Shoulder Shrug.
(c) The Bible.
(d) Mein Kampf.
14. What is the BDM?
(a) Girl Scouts.
(b) Cooking Club.
(c) Hitler's Youth Organization.
(d) Band of German Girls.
15. Which of the following instruments does Hans Hubermann play?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best describes Rosa Hubermann?
2. What sport does Liesel regularly play with the neighborhood kids?
3. How are Liesel and her brother traveling to the foster care system?
4. Which of Frau Hermann's relatives dies, leaving her deeply depressed?
5. What book does the mysterious young man take on the train with him while traveling cross country?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)