|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters teaches Liesel how to read?
2. What object does Liesel regularly fish out of the trash bins to bring home to Max?
(a) Discarded clothing.
(b) Food scraps.
(d) Metal cans.
3. What does Hans sell in order to buy Liesel two new books?
(a) His paintings.
(b) Locks of his hair.
(c) Hand-rolled cigarettes.
(d) Homemade candles.
4. Where did Max Vandenberg grow up?
5. From where does the shadow witness Liesel stealing a book from the bonfire?
(a) From a window.
(b) From an allyway.
(c) From a passing automobile.
(d) From atop a building.
6. Which of the following ailments afflicts Tommy Muller?
(a) He is deaf.
(b) He is mute.
(c) He is blind.
(d) He is lame.
7. Why was young Hans Hubermann asked to stay behind during his fight of WWI?
(a) Because he had a good sense of direction.
(b) Because he had a nice singing voice.
(c) Because he had good handwriting.
(d) Because he was the best looking.
8. What inanimate object does Max credit with saving his life?
(a) A wooden spoon.
(b) A book.
(c) A pocket watch.
(d) A tennis shoe.
9. How does Rosa react when she realizes Liesel is stealing from her?
(a) Rosa makes her scrub the floor with a toothbrush.
(b) Rosa ignores her.
(c) Rosa forgives her.
(d) Rosa beats her.
10. Which of the following instruments does Hans Hubermann play?
11. What does Hans Hubermann do for a living?
(a) He is a teacher.
(b) He is a mechanic.
(c) He is a painter.
(d) He is a musician.
12. Which branch of the armed forces did Hans Hubermann fight in during WWI?
(a) The navy.
(b) The army.
(c) The air force.
(d) The marines.
13. At which holiday does Liesel finish reading "The Gravedigger's Handbook"?
(b) Independence Day.
14. Which of Frau Hermann's relatives dies, leaving her deeply depressed?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her son.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her grandfather.
15. How many soldiers survived the battle Hans Hubermann sat out during WWI?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following school subjects does Liesel practice regularly with Max?
2. Which sport does Max regularly dream he is participating in with Adolf Hitler?
3. Why was Max Vandenberg bullied as a child?
4. How does Liesel feel about the scheduled book burning?
5. Who sees Liesel steal the book from the bonfire?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)