|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many soldiers survived the battle Hans Hubermann sat out during WWI?
2. How does Hans react when he finds out Liesel stole a book from the bonfire?
(a) He beats her.
(b) He understands why she stole it and does not punish her.
(c) He forces her to go back and return it.
(d) He never finds out.
3. What type of soup does Rosa Hubermann make once a week to feed her family?
(a) Tomato soup.
(b) Minestrone soup.
(c) Pea soup.
(d) Chicken noodle soup.
4. Who is the narrator of this novel?
5. Outside of which building do Rudy and Liesel ice the sidewalk so they can steal a basket of food?
(a) The church.
(b) The apple farm.
(c) The market.
(d) The school.
6. Which of the following customers is Liesel so afraid of that she skips over her house whenever possible?
(a) Frau Hollapfel.
(b) Frau Hermann.
(c) Frau Hubermann.
(d) Frau Hansel.
7. Why does Liesel steal money from Rosa?
(a) To pay for books.
(b) To pay for new shoes.
(c) To pay for postage stamps.
(d) To pay for a train ticket.
8. Where does Liesel sit and wait for Hans to come and pick her up from the book burning?
(a) At the church.
(b) At the school.
(c) At the library.
(d) At the hospital.
9. Why does Liesel struggle in school?
(a) Because she cannot read.
(b) Because she cannot spell.
(c) Because she has no friends.
(d) Because she cannot do math.
10. What event does the city stage in celebration of the Fuehrer's birthday?
(a) They ignore the birthday completely.
(b) A feast.
(c) A bonfire.
(d) A carnival.
11. What is the BDM?
(a) Hitler's Youth Organization.
(b) Girl Scouts.
(c) Band of German Girls.
(d) Cooking Club.
12. Which book does Liesel spend all of her time reading during her first summer with the Hubermann family?
(a) The Stomach Ache.
(b) The Leg Cramp.
(c) The Nose Twitch.
(d) The Shoulder Shrug.
13. Which of the following books does Hans Jr. think is the most valuable book ever written?
(a) The Gravedigger's Handbook.
(b) The Shoulder Shrug.
(c) Mein Kampf.
(d) The Bible.
14. What does Max give to Liesel for her birthday?
(a) A new dress.
(b) A doll.
(c) A book.
(d) A bouquet of flowers.
15. How long do Liesel and Rudy work with the gang leader before he moves away?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Three months.
(c) Three days.
(d) Three years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following things does Liesel describe for Max using the most colorful language she can think of?
2. At which holiday does Liesel finish reading "The Gravedigger's Handbook"?
3. How does Liesel react when Frau Hermann offers a book to her as a gift?
4. Which of the following mysterious characters is described as living in the dark shadows of Stuttgart?
5. How did Erik Vandenberg's widow react when Hans brought her husband's instrument home to her?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)