|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was young Hans Hubermann asked to stay behind during his fight of WWI?
(a) Because he had a good sense of direction.
(b) Because he had a nice singing voice.
(c) Because he was the best looking.
(d) Because he had good handwriting.
2. As a child, who saved Max from the Gestapo when they were removing Jews from the neighborhood?
(a) Liesel Memimger.
(b) Rudy Steiner
(c) Tommy Mullins.
(d) Walter Kugler.
3. What book does Liesel read over and over in Frau Hermann's library?
(a) The Dancer.
(b) The Banker.
(c) The Whistler.
(d) The Sleeper.
4. What instrument did Erik Vandenberg play?
(a) The accordian.
(b) The bagpipes.
(c) The harmonica.
(d) The banjo.
5. Outside of which building do Rudy and Liesel ice the sidewalk so they can steal a basket of food?
(a) The apple farm.
(b) The church.
(c) The market.
(d) The school.
6. How does Rosa feel about Liesel writing letters to her mother?
(a) Rosa forbids Liesel to pick up a pen.
(b) Rosa does not know about the letters.
(c) Rosa is offended that Liesel still wants contact with her birth mother.
(d) Rosa feels it is a waste of time.
7. What does Rudy's father, Herr Steiner, do for a living?
(a) He is a taxi driver.
(b) He is an actor.
(c) He is a doctor.
(d) He is a tailor.
8. How many fights did Max Vandenberg get in with his nemesis, Walter Kugler?
9. How does the mysterious young man get into the Hubermann household?
(a) He has a key.
(b) He digs a tunnel.
(c) He kicks in the door.
(d) He breaks a window.
10. What does Rudy use to darken his body in the hopes of emulating Jesse Owens?
(c) Magic Marker.
11. Where was Hans Hubermann stationed when he fought in WWI?
12. In which room of the Hubermann household does Max hide while he is living with them?
(a) In the attic.
(b) In the library.
(c) In the cellar.
(d) In the basement.
13. Where does Liesel sit and wait for Hans to come and pick her up from the book burning?
(a) At the library.
(b) At the hospital.
(c) At the church.
(d) At the school.
14. Why was Max Vandenberg bullied as a child?
(a) Because he was small.
(b) Because he was Jewish.
(c) Because he was poor.
(d) Because he had a speech impediment.
15. Why does Liesel steal money from Rosa?
(a) To pay for books.
(b) To pay for new shoes.
(c) To pay for a train ticket.
(d) To pay for postage stamps.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which German city is Liesel being relocated by the foster care system?
2. How many armed guards escort Liesel when she helps to bury her dead brother?
3. How does Liesel react when she sees Frau Hermann's library?
4. How does Liesel react when Frau Hermann offers a book to her as a gift?
5. Who places Liesel Meminger in foster care?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)