|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Liesel clean off the door frame every day, left by Frau Hollapfel?
(a) Chicken feathers.
(d) Newspaper clippings.
2. Which branch of the armed forces did Hans Hubermann fight in during WWI?
(a) The air force.
(b) The army.
(c) The navy.
(d) The marines.
3. Which of the following instruments does Hans Hubermann play?
4. Which of the following activities do Rudy and Liesel spend the summer doing?
5. How does Rosa react when she realizes Liesel is stealing from her?
(a) Rosa beats her.
(b) Rosa makes her scrub the floor with a toothbrush.
(c) Rosa ignores her.
(d) Rosa forgives her.
6. Where was Hans Hubermann stationed when he fought in WWI?
7. What event does the city stage in celebration of the Fuehrer's birthday?
(a) A feast.
(b) A bonfire.
(c) They ignore the birthday completely.
(d) A carnival.
8. Who places Liesel Meminger in foster care?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Her mother.
9. What sport does Liesel regularly play with the neighborhood kids?
10. How many armed guards escort Liesel when she helps to bury her dead brother?
11. Which of the following ailments afflicts Tommy Muller?
(a) He is mute.
(b) He is lame.
(c) He is blind.
(d) He is deaf.
12. Who sees Liesel steal the book from the bonfire?
(a) Adolf Hitler.
(b) Hans. Jr.
(c) The mayor's wife.
13. In which room of the Hubermann household does Max hide while he is living with them?
(a) In the basement.
(b) In the cellar.
(c) In the attic.
(d) In the library.
14. How long do Liesel and Rudy work with the gang leader before he moves away?
(a) Three years.
(b) Three days.
(c) Three months.
(d) Three weeks.
15. Which of the following emotions does Max feel comfortable expressing only in his journal?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following things does Liesel describe for Max using the most colorful language she can think of?
2. Who is the narrator of this novel?
3. What does Liesel purchase with the coin she finds on the street outside Frau Dillard's house?
4. Which of the following customers is Liesel so afraid of that she skips over her house whenever possible?
5. To which German city is Liesel being relocated by the foster care system?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)