|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who screams obscenities at Emperor Nero in an attempt to receive the same sentence as her husband, Seneca?
2. Who does Rectitude cite as an example of a discreet woman?
3. Who does Marquis Saluzzo marry?
4. How does Marquis Saluzzo's wife react to his claim that he must kill their children to appease his barons?
5. Who remains faithful to Herod Antipater despite having an unhappy marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are at least two examples of men being foolish by ignoring their wise wives' advice?
2. What happens when Rectitude finishes her portion of the City of Ladies?
3. How is Susanna's chastity questioned and proven?
4. Describe the story about Bernabo and his wife.
5. What does Marcius say when his mother, Veturia, begs him to make peace with the Romans?
6. What results from Thisbe's mother's disapproval of Thisbe's love for Pyramus?
7. What question does Christine ask that causes Rectitude to offer Julia, Pompey's wife, as an example to refute the claim?
8. What leads to Ghismonda's suicide?
9. How does Xanthippe demonstrate her love for Socrates?
10. What does Rectitude say about women dressing elegantly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Investigate "The Book of the City of Ladies" as a feminist novel. How does it adhere to and differ from the typical feminist novel? What changes could be made to mark it more clearly as a feminist novel? What changes could be made to prevent critics from classifying the novel as a feminist novel?
Essay Topic 2
Does Christine actually believe what she has read about women? Explain your position.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Christine de Pizan writing herself into this novel as the main character? How does this affect the readers' response to the novel?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)