|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hides and saves her husband, Quintus Lucretius, when he is sentenced to death for a crime?
2. Who screams obscenities at Emperor Nero in an attempt to receive the same sentence as her husband, Seneca?
3. Who mentions the claim that women hate their husbands when they are old and scholarly?
4. Who lives a chaste widowhood after Emperor Nero kills her husband, Drusus Tiberius?
5. Why does Medea despair for the rest of her life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rectitude say to the idea that women are avaricious?
2. Who is Ulysses's wife, and why does Rectitude praise her?
3. How does Rectitude refute the common claim that women are inconstant?
4. What happens between Saint Lucy and King Aucejas?
5. What leads to Ghismonda's suicide?
6. What happens when Rectitude finishes her portion of the City of Ladies?
7. What does Marcius say when his mother, Veturia, begs him to make peace with the Romans?
8. What question does Christine ask that causes Rectitude to offer Julia, Pompey's wife, as an example to refute the claim?
9. How do the wives of the knights who helped Jason obtain the Golden Fleece save their husbands?
10. How does Xanthippe demonstrate her love for Socrates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the individual functions of Lady Reason, Lady Rectitude, and Lady Justice?
Essay Topic 2
Which three stories that Reason, Rectitude and Justice tell Christine are most effective in refuting common misconceptions about women, and why?
Essay Topic 3
How does Christine change throughout the novel? Detail the changes she makes and the reasons behind those changes.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)