|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who loves her husband, Scipio Africanus Elder, so much that she does not criticize him or slur his reputation when she discovers his affair with a servant?
2. According to Rectitude, when will women attain perfection?
3. What is the worst possible thing imaginable for chaste women?
4. Who does Christine praise in Section 2, Part 20?
5. What happens when the emperor tries to force the blessed virgin Martina to worship his idols?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rectitude say to Christine's claim that the majority of women are not virtuous?
2. How does Artemisia honor her husband in death?
3. Describe Saint Catherine's martyrdom.
4. How does Xanthippe demonstrate her love for Socrates?
5. What leads to Ghismonda's suicide?
6. What question does Christine ask that causes Rectitude to offer Julia, Pompey's wife, as an example to refute the claim?
7. What results from Thisbe's mother's disapproval of Thisbe's love for Pyramus?
8. How does Curia save her husband from exile and death?
9. What does Rectitude say to the idea that women are avaricious?
10. How do the wives of the knights who helped Jason obtain the Golden Fleece save their husbands?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do sexist attitudes play in "The Book of the City of Ladies"? What attitudes about gender are represented and by which characters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the manner in which the city is built.
Essay Topic 3
How do Lady Reason, Lady Rectitude, and Lady Justice explain their use of pagan women as examples of virtue and honor?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)