|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marquis Saluzzo pretend to kill the children his wife bares him?
2. Who holds a joust during which they abduct Sabinian women?
3. Who is Ulysses's faithful wife?
4. Who saves the Jews by beheading Holofernes?
5. Who hides and saves her husband, Quintus Lucretius, when he is sentenced to death for a crime?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of Theodosina's debate with the judge Urban?
2. What are at least two examples of men being foolish by ignoring their wise wives' advice?
3. Describe the story about Bernabo and his wife.
4. Why does Rectitude resent the claim that women bring only evil to the world?
5. What does Christine mention about rape, and how does Rectitude respond?
6. Describe Saint Catherine's martyrdom.
7. What does Marcius say when his mother, Veturia, begs him to make peace with the Romans?
8. How does Judith save the Jews from Holofernes?
9. Why is Claudia's reputation compromised, and how does she prove her chastity?
10. How does Artemisia honor her husband in death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the main themes in this novel and detail its recurrences throughout the novel. What does it add to the novel? How does it affect the difference characters?
Essay Topic 2
How do Lady Reason, Lady Rectitude, and Lady Justice explain their use of pagan women as examples of virtue and honor?
Essay Topic 3
What role does Boccaccio play in "The Book of the City of Ladies," and how does he compare to other literary men that are mentioned throughout the book?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)