|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ruth soon learns that Ruby did what to one of May's chickens?
(a) Poisoned it.
(b) Strangled it.
(c) Took care of it.
(d) Ate it.
2. Why did Ruby do this to the chicken?
(a) He noticed that it was not looking very healthy.
(b) He was hungry.
(c) He wanted to test out his new drugs.
(d) He was angry when May refused to let him take Justin into town in the car.
3. A few weeks later, May and Ruby fight about what?
(a) The paintings.
(b) His drug use.
(c) The birdhouses.
(d) The guitars.
4. What do Ruby and May think of this idea?
(a) They do not really think anything about this idea.
(b) They think it might be a good idea.
(c) They like it.
(d) They do not like it.
5. How is May appeased?
(a) When Matt agrees to come for the wedding.
(b) Her daughter is now seeing Randall.
(c) May and Ruby get to know each other.
(d) Ruby buys her a gift.
6. Ruth decides she and Ruby should do what?
(a) Move out.
(b) Go to couple's counseling.
(c) Get new jobs.
(d) Take a trip by themselves.
7. Why does May become upset when Ruby insists on a certain type of fruit?
(a) She does not like it when he gets his way.
(b) She does not like that type of fruit.
(c) She has to pay for them.
(d) She is allergic to that fruit.
8. It was a family dynamic that caused Ruby to grow up how?
(a) Shy and quiet.
(b) Nervous and uncertain.
(c) With a violent temper and a lack of direction.
(d) With a strong will and great self-confidence.
9. What does May think of Ruth's idea?
(a) She is unhappy with it.
(b) She thinks nothing of it.
(c) She believes it is a horrible idea.
(d) She is happy with it.
10. The following January, Ruby gets a job running ________________ that parks in the grocery store parking lot twice a month.
(a) The delivery truck.
(b) The icecream truck.
(c) The recycling truck.
(d) The dump truck.
11. May takes Ruby and Ruth to pick what from a local orchard?
12. Ruth goes to Randall and offers him words of encouragement as well as what?
(a) A hug.
(b) A few kisses.
(c) A card.
(d) A date.
13. May is forced to wait where, but Ruby goes with her to the labor room?
(a) In the waiting room.
(b) In the father's waiting room.
(c) In her car.
(d) In the hall.
14. Tensions begin to grow again as what happens?
(a) May grows bored with Justin.
(b) Justin ages.
(c) Ruby begins using drugs.
(d) Ruby gets fired.
15. How do Ruth and Ruby spend all their free time together?
(a) Going out to nice dinners.
(b) Watching television.
(c) Going on long walks.
(d) Going to bars and drinking in dark, secluded places.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first few months of marriage are ___________.
2. Ruby was a surprise baby, born prematurely in a time when his parents had believed what?
3. One Saturday, later in that winter, Ruby brings home a coon's tail he found and he and Ruth use it how?
4. Daisy tells Ruth that she should do what?
5. Ruby leaves the house and Ruth learns hours later that he did what?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)