|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. That summer and fall, Ruth, May, Ruby, and Justin begin to go where?
(a) To the park.
(b) On vacations.
(c) To church.
(d) To the movies.
2. Ruth decides she and Ruby should do what?
(a) Go to couple's counseling.
(b) Get new jobs.
(c) Move out.
(d) Take a trip by themselves.
3. Ruth wants to take Justin and disappear where?
4. A few weeks later, May and Ruby fight about what?
(a) The paintings.
(b) The birdhouses.
(c) His drug use.
(d) The guitars.
5. Aunt Sid meets Ruth at the bus station and takes her where?
(a) To dinner.
(b) On a tour of the city.
(c) To her home.
(d) To the park.
6. How do Ruth and Ruby spend all their free time together?
(a) Going on long walks.
(b) Going out to nice dinners.
(c) Watching television.
(d) Going to bars and drinking in dark, secluded places.
7. Ruth often misses work to deal with what?
(a) The baby.
(b) Morning sickness.
(c) Her mother.
8. Why is Ruth's idea dropped?
(a) Ruby becomes very ill.
(b) Ruby finds a new job.
(c) Ruby gets hit by a car and messes up his leg.
(d) Ruby decides he does not want to go.
9. Ruby was a surprise baby, born prematurely in a time when his parents had believed what?
(a) They were done with childbearing.
(b) They could not have children.
(c) They did not want any children.
(d) They did not want anymore children.
10. How is May appeased?
(a) When Matt agrees to come for the wedding.
(b) Ruby buys her a gift.
(c) Her daughter is now seeing Randall.
(d) May and Ruby get to know each other.
11. Tensions begin to grow again as what happens?
(a) Ruby gets fired.
(b) Ruby begins using drugs.
(c) Justin ages.
(d) May grows bored with Justin.
12. Ruth recalls this as what?
(a) The worst time of her life.
(b) The scariest time of her life.
(c) The best time of her life.
(d) The most unusual time of her life.
13. When Ruby was revived, his mother promised to what?
(a) Never touch him again.
(b) Never allow anyone to come near him again.
(c) Never allow harm to come to him again.
(d) Never drink again.
14. What does Ruth decide to do for a few days?
(a) Live on her own.
(b) Stay at her Aunt Sid's.
(c) Travel around the state.
(d) Search for a new job.
15. Artie gives Ruby a job where?
(a) At the car dealership.
(b) At the dry cleaners.
(c) At the grocery store.
(d) At the mall.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does May insist they all go back to work?
2. Why could Ruby not hold a job?
3. May takes Ruby and Ruth to pick what from a local orchard?
4. May does not approve of Ruby from the start, claiming what?
5. As May continues to harp on Ruth and Ruby for the way they are raising Justin, Ruth begins to imagine what?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)