|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why could Ruby not hold a job?
(a) Ruby was angry all the time.
(b) Ruby could not handle having someone boss him around.
(c) Ruby always overslept.
(d) Ruby could not remember basic directions.
2. Ruth often misses work to deal with what?
(a) The baby.
(b) Her mother.
(d) Morning sickness.
3. Daisy comes to Ruth and tells her what about Ruby?
(a) He is stupid.
(b) He is not interested in her.
(c) He really likes her.
(d) He is not a good person.
4. What do Ruby and May think of this idea?
(a) They think it might be a good idea.
(b) They do not like it.
(c) They like it.
(d) They do not really think anything about this idea.
5. That Christmas Eve Ruth remembers as what?
(a) An okay day.
(b) One of the best times in her marriage.
(c) No different than any other day.
(d) One of the worst times in her marriage.
6. Ruth does what to May for the first time?
(a) Backs down from her.
(b) Pushes her.
(c) Ignores her.
(d) Stands up.
7. Ruth wants to take Justin and disappear where?
8. One Saturday, later in that winter, Ruby brings home a coon's tail he found and he and Ruth use it how?
(a) In their cooking.
(b) In their sexual play.
(c) To dust.
(d) To make a coonskin cap.
9. When Ruby was revived, his mother promised to what?
(a) Never allow anyone to come near him again.
(b) Never touch him again.
(c) Never drink again.
(d) Never allow harm to come to him again.
10. Why does May become upset when Ruby insists on a certain type of fruit?
(a) She has to pay for them.
(b) She does not like it when he gets his way.
(c) She does not like that type of fruit.
(d) She is allergic to that fruit.
11. May's attitude toward Ruth begins to do what?
(b) Become abusive.
(d) Get worse.
12. Artie gives Ruby a job where?
(a) At the dry cleaners.
(b) At the grocery store.
(c) At the car dealership.
(d) At the mall.
13. This is the only time in which the four of them could do what?
(a) Get away from each other.
(b) Sit together peacefully.
(d) Agree on something.
14. That summer and fall, Ruth, May, Ruby, and Justin begin to go where?
(a) To church.
(b) On vacations.
(c) To the movies.
(d) To the park.
15. Ruth finally takes this opportunity to tell Aunt Sid what?
(a) How horrible her home life is.
(b) How she is planning to run away.
(c) How unhappy she is.
(d) How much she loves her and how the letters Sid sent to her all those years ago saved her life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruth decide to do for a few days?
2. Why is Ruth's idea dropped?
3. On her wedding day, Ruth wears what?
4. Aunt Sid meets Ruth at the bus station and takes her where?
5. Daisy tells Ruth that she should do what?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)