|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ruth returns to ___________ tensions at home.
(a) A decrease in.
(c) The same.
(d) An increase in.
2. What does Ruth decide to do for a few days?
(a) Stay at her Aunt Sid's.
(b) Live on her own.
(c) Search for a new job.
(d) Travel around the state.
3. Tensions begin to grow again as what happens?
(a) Ruby begins using drugs.
(b) Ruby gets fired.
(c) Justin ages.
(d) May grows bored with Justin.
4. May then spends the entire night complaining about what?
(a) How Ruby always gets his way and she never has any say.
(b) How she cannot eat the fruit.
(c) How her apple pies did not come out right because Ruby insisted on the wrong apples.
(d) How she does not feel well.
5. What does Ruby do while Ruth labors?
(a) He eats.
(b) He cries.
(c) He curses.
(d) He faints.
6. The following January, Ruby gets a job running ________________ that parks in the grocery store parking lot twice a month.
(a) The delivery truck.
(b) The dump truck.
(c) The recycling truck.
(d) The icecream truck.
7. May thinks she is the expert on what?
8. Daisy comes to Ruth and tells her what about Ruby?
(a) He is not a good person.
(b) He is not interested in her.
(c) He really likes her.
(d) He is stupid.
9. Ruby leaves the house and Ruth learns hours later that he did what?
(a) Took pills.
(b) Jumped into the river.
(c) Ran away.
(d) Destroyed cars.
10. Sid is there and congratulates Ruth. Ruth gets what impression?
(a) Sid misses her.
(b) Sid is not happy with her choices in life.
(c) Sid is happy for her.
(d) Sid is not feeling well.
11. Ruby was a surprise baby, born prematurely in a time when his parents had believed what?
(a) They did not want any children.
(b) They could not have children.
(c) They were done with childbearing.
(d) They did not want anymore children.
12. As the pregnancy continues, Ruth and Ruby attend what?
(a) Baby stores.
(b) College classes.
(c) Birthing classes.
13. Ruby continues to see his counselor who pushes him to do what?
(a) Get a job.
(b) See him more often.
(c) Stop using drugs.
(d) Get a home of his own for his family.
14. May's attitude toward Ruth begins to do what?
(b) Become abusive.
(d) Get worse.
15. A few weeks later, May and Ruby fight about what?
(a) His drug use.
(b) The birdhouses.
(c) The paintings.
(d) The guitars.
Short Answer Questions
1. That summer and fall, Ruth, May, Ruby, and Justin begin to go where?
2. Artie gives Ruby a job where?
3. That Christmas Eve Ruth remembers as what?
4. Finally the baby comes after how many hours of labor?
5. Ruth goes into labor when?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)