|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In _______, Ruth and Ruby spend a week on the beach.
2. Why does May insist they all go back to work?
(a) When she becomes tired of them at home.
(b) When the bills get tight.
(c) When she tires of doing all the work.
(d) When Justin is sleeping through the night.
3. May learns in __________ that Matt was mentioned in Time magazine but did not tell her.
4. Ruth often misses work to deal with what?
(b) Morning sickness.
(c) The baby.
(d) Her mother.
5. Daisy comes to Ruth and tells her what about Ruby?
(a) He really likes her.
(b) He is stupid.
(c) He is not interested in her.
(d) He is not a good person.
6. Eventually Ruby's mother, who suffered asthma, had to move where for her health, leaving Ruby on his own in Illinois?
(a) To Florida.
(b) To Arizona.
(c) To Texas.
(d) To California.
7. Why could Ruby not hold a job?
(a) Ruby was angry all the time.
(b) Ruby always overslept.
(c) Ruby could not handle having someone boss him around.
(d) Ruby could not remember basic directions.
8. They sleep in late the first morning and spend the day doing what?
(b) Watching television and cleaning up the house.
(c) Laying out on the beach.
(d) Going hiking.
9. What does Ruth pick Daisy to be?
(a) Her best friend.
(b) Her roommate.
(c) Her bridesmaid.
(d) Her legal guardian.
10. That summer and fall, Ruth, May, Ruby, and Justin begin to go where?
(a) On vacations.
(b) To church.
(c) To the park.
(d) To the movies.
11. What does Ruby do while Ruth labors?
(a) He faints.
(b) He cries.
(c) He eats.
(d) He curses.
12. Who walks Ruth down the aisle?
13. May does not approve of Ruby from the start, claiming what?
(a) He is too good for Ruth.
(b) He is not good enough for her daughter.
(c) He is a loser.
(d) He appears to be stupid and once vandalized some cars.
14. Ruby's mother was an alcoholic and fell asleep with Ruby where?
(a) In the bathtub.
(b) In a swing.
(c) In the hot sun.
(d) In the car.
15. Ruth and Ruby spend the first three months of the baby's life where?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) At the hospital.
(c) In their bedroom.
(d) At home.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does May feel about the baby?
2. May is forced to wait where, but Ruby goes with her to the labor room?
3. Ruth names the baby what?
4. Tensions begin to grow again as what happens?
5. May takes Ruby and Ruth to pick what from a local orchard?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)