|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ruth remembers one Christmas when the Reverend at her church announced what?
(a) He would be retiring.
(b) Jesus is born.
(c) Satan has taken control of many lives.
(d) The coming of Jesus.
2. For _____ years, May lived with her parents, doing the chores with the younger children.
3. How does Ruby begin her story?
(a) By describing herself.
(b) By describing her family.
(c) By describing her son.
(d) By describing the town in which she grew up.
4. In __________ grade, Ruth was instructed to write a letter to someone, so she chose Aunt Sid.
5. Sid tells Ruby that May would often have her boyfriend, Willard Jenson, over while she did what?
(b) Worked in the garden.
(c) The laundry.
6. What happened one afternoon when Ruth's father accidentally spilled ice cream on her head?
(a) Everyone ignored her.
(b) Everyone laughed together at that.
(c) Everyone became angry with him.
(d) Everyone laughed at her.
7. Ruth remembers mistaking __________ for onions one night.
(a) Daffodil bulbs.
(c) Tulip bulbs.
8. Matt is a _____________ man by the time they reach high school.
9. When they finally married, most people thought it was for what reason?
(a) Willard would be going off to war.
(b) May's parents forced Willard to marry her.
(c) May was pregnant from all the time they spent alone together.
(d) May and Willard were madly in love.
10. Why did May always think Willard would come back to her?
(a) Because Willard said he would never leave her.
(b) Because the military was never able to supply a body.
(c) Because the police could not find his body.
(d) Because she could not accept that he was dead.
11. Artie, from the dry cleaners, talks Ruth into joining what?
(a) The Atlantis Super Wash Center basketball team.
(b) The Lucky Laundry tennis team.
(c) The Suds On 8th Avenue softball team.
(d) The Trim 'N Tidy bowling team.
12. Together as what do May and Ruth work?
(b) Cleaning ladies.
13. Ruth relates the story of her mother's life as it was told to her by whom?
(a) Her brother, Matt.
(b) Her Aunt Sid.
(c) Her counselor, Sharry.
(d) Her husband.
14. After a while, Miss Finch becomes what to Ruth?
(a) An acquaintance.
(b) A friend.
(c) A sister.
(d) A mother.
15. When Elmer Grey began coming around, a widower with a farm of his own, May accepted his attentions and they were married when?
(a) A short time later.
(b) Two years later.
(c) Five years later.
(d) A year later.
Short Answer Questions
1. May was the oldest of ________ children and therefore had the burden of the chores placed on her shoulders.
2. Matt often shone in school, actually skipping a grade. How did this affect Ruth?
3. Ruth feels like an afterthought at graduation. Why?
4. Did Ruth have friends?
5. Why did Ruth have to pay special attention in school?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)