|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of May's brothers was deaf and moved to a deaf school when he was _________.
(a) Only three.
(b) Only six.
(c) Only four.
(d) Only five.
2. How did Ruth feel when Jesus did not really make an appearance?
(a) She was angry.
(b) She was disappointed.
(c) She was worried.
(d) She was surprised.
3. How did these feelings about herself affect her?
(a) They caused her to fail over and over again.
(b) They caused her great embarrassment.
(c) They caused her to skip a grade.
(d) They caused her to be successful.
4. Ruth takes a job where?
(a) At the Trim 'N Tidy.
(b) At the Atlantis Super Wash Center.
(c) At the Lucky Laundry.
(d) At the Suds On 8th Avenue.
5. Ruth remembers mistaking __________ for onions one night.
(b) Tulip bulbs.
(c) Daffodil bulbs.
6. Why did May always think Willard would come back to her?
(a) Because Willard said he would never leave her.
(b) Because the police could not find his body.
(c) Because the military was never able to supply a body.
(d) Because she could not accept that he was dead.
7. Willard was killed where?
(a) In a bar.
(b) In the Atlantic.
(c) On the train to work.
(d) In the Pacific.
8. Ruth relates the story of her mother's life as it was told to her by whom?
(a) Her brother, Matt.
(b) Her Aunt Sid.
(c) Her counselor, Sharry.
(d) Her husband.
9. How does Ruby begin her story?
(a) By describing her son.
(b) By describing the town in which she grew up.
(c) By describing herself.
(d) By describing her family.
10. As children they often played house together, but Matt had to be who?
(a) The father.
(b) The son.
(c) The bride.
(d) The groom.
11. May's main chore as a teenager was what?
(a) The laundry.
(b) The education of her younger siblings.
(c) The cleaning.
(d) The cooking.
12. Matt often shone in school, actually skipping a grade. How did this affect Ruth?
(a) She dreamed to be him.
(b) He skipped to a grade ahead of her.
(c) She was worried about him.
(d) He joined her class.
13. Ruth remembers her first meeting with who?
(a) Her Aunt Sid.
(b) Her cousin Sid.
(c) Her neighbor Sid.
(d) Her father.
14. Immediately after graduation, Matt goes where?
(a) To college.
(b) To summer camp.
(c) To Europe.
(d) To an academic camp.
15. As a child, May would often tell her sisters she was going to do what?
(a) Kill herself.
(b) Sell them.
(c) Get married young.
(d) Run away.
Short Answer Questions
1. May often has to remind Ruth to do what?
2. How does Ruth feel about these books?
3. After a while, Miss Finch becomes what to Ruth?
4. What does she help the team do?
5. When Elmer Grey began coming around, a widower with a farm of his own, May accepted his attentions and they were married when?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)