|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ruth takes a job where?
(a) At the Lucky Laundry.
(b) At the Suds On 8th Avenue.
(c) At the Trim 'N Tidy.
(d) At the Atlantis Super Wash Center.
2. One of May's brothers was deaf and moved to a deaf school when he was _________.
(a) Only six.
(b) Only four.
(c) Only five.
(d) Only three.
3. When Elmer Grey began coming around, a widower with a farm of his own, May accepted his attentions and they were married when?
(a) A short time later.
(b) Two years later.
(c) Five years later.
(d) A year later.
4. How does Ruby begin her story?
(a) By describing herself.
(b) By describing her son.
(c) By describing her family.
(d) By describing the town in which she grew up.
5. The marriage was a happy one, until what?
(a) World War I began.
(b) World War II began.
(c) May became pregnant.
(d) Willard lost his job.
6. How did Sid feel about Ruth's first letter?
(a) She was annoyed.
(b) She was worried.
(c) She was impressed.
(d) She was embarrassed.
7. Matt is Ruth's younger brother. He always did everything ____________ she did.
(a) Faster and better than.
(b) The same as.
(c) Slower and worse than.
(d) Similar to how.
8. Ruth recalls how in school she began with what impression?
(a) She was special.
(b) She was popular.
(c) She was dumb.
(d) She was smart.
9. Ruth is hired to do what for Miss Finch?
(a) Organize her her books in braille.
(b) Read to her.
(c) Set up books on tape.
(d) Cook for her.
10. Sid came to make amends with May over an argument dealing with what?
(a) May's husband.
(b) The distribution of their parents' things upon their death.
(c) Paying the mortgage.
(d) The raising of May's children.
11. Ruth does not have many memories of her father, but she can recall one afternoon when she helped a _______ deliver its baby how her father patted her on the head and told her she was a good farmer.
12. On payday, Ruth hands her check over to May except for______ dollars which she puts away in a piggy bank.
13. May is desperate to be what to Matt?
(a) His best friend.
(b) His sister.
(c) His confidante.
(d) His mother.
14. As children they often played house together, but Matt had to be who?
(a) The father.
(b) The son.
(c) The bride.
(d) The groom.
15. Everyone liked Willard Jenson; he was _______________ young man.
(a) An intelligent.
(b) An odd but friendly.
(c) A kind and handsome.
(d) A good looking and charming.
Short Answer Questions
1. Matt often shone in school, actually skipping a grade. How did this affect Ruth?
2. How many happy memories does Ruth have of her family?
3. When they finally married, most people thought it was for what reason?
4. Ruth would often catch bees and leave them where?
5. Artie, from the dry cleaners, talks Ruth into joining what?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)