|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Did Ruth have friends?
(a) Yes, some.
(b) Yes, one.
(c) Yes, many.
2. Mrs. Foote's husband dies from what?
(a) His heart disease.
(b) His liver disease.
(c) His cancer.
(d) His kidney disease.
3. Ruth believes May is very _________ at this point in her life.
4. May was the oldest of ________ children and therefore had the burden of the chores placed on her shoulders.
5. Artie, from the dry cleaners, talks Ruth into joining what?
(a) The Lucky Laundry tennis team.
(b) The Suds On 8th Avenue softball team.
(c) The Atlantis Super Wash Center basketball team.
(d) The Trim 'N Tidy bowling team.
6. Due to the amount of teasing Ruth receives at school, what does she do?
(a) She asks Aunt Sid for money to buy bras but lies and says the money is for a gift for May's birthday.
(b) She asks Aunt Sid to take her bra shopping.
(c) She asks Aunt Sid for the money to buy bras.
(d) She asks Aunt Sid for the money for school supplies.
7. At other times, Ruth reads snippets of the letters she receives from whom?
(a) Aunt Sid.
(c) Dee Dee.
8. One of May's brothers was deaf and moved to a deaf school when he was _________.
(a) Only five.
(b) Only six.
(c) Only three.
(d) Only four.
9. Sid came to make amends with May over an argument dealing with what?
(a) The distribution of their parents' things upon their death.
(b) May's husband.
(c) The raising of May's children.
(d) Paying the mortgage.
10. Ruth would often catch bees and leave them where?
(a) In the house.
(b) In Matt's car.
(c) In Matt's club house.
(d) In Matt's bed.
11. They often share personal stories, and sometimes Miss Finch talks about her husband and what?
(a) Their life together.
(b) Their travels together.
(c) Their home.
(d) Their children.
12. What happened one afternoon when Ruth's father accidentally spilled ice cream on her head?
(a) Everyone ignored her.
(b) Everyone laughed together at that.
(c) Everyone laughed at her.
(d) Everyone became angry with him.
13. Ruth feels like an afterthought at graduation. Why?
(a) She was not sure if she would even graduate.
(b) Matt graduates the same day and all the attention is placed on him.
(c) Everyone else in her class had parties planned for them, so Ruth's mom felt guilty at the last minute and threw her one.
(d) She has no plans for the future and is not happy to see high school ending.
14. Some of the books are non-fiction, but many of them are classic literature, such as Charles Dickens' Bleak House and Jane Austen's _______________.
(a) Sense and Sensibility.
(b) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) Mansfield Park.
15. Sid tells Ruby that May would often have her boyfriend, Willard Jenson, over while she did what?
(b) Worked in the garden.
(d) The laundry.
Short Answer Questions
1. On payday, Ruth hands her check over to May except for______ dollars which she puts away in a piggy bank.
2. Why did Ruth have to pay special attention in school?
3. Who was going to change the world?
4. Unfortunately Ruth lost out on the spelling bee. How did May treat her?
5. When they finally married, most people thought it was for what reason?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)