|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. May was the oldest of ________ children and therefore had the burden of the chores placed on her shoulders.
2. How did Ruth feel when Jesus did not really make an appearance?
(a) She was disappointed.
(b) She was worried.
(c) She was surprised.
(d) She was angry.
3. Why did Ruth have to pay special attention in school?
(a) So she could be as smart as her brother.
(b) So she could pass tests.
(c) So she could earn a compliment.
(d) So she could read these letters.
4. When they finally married, most people thought it was for what reason?
(a) May's parents forced Willard to marry her.
(b) May was pregnant from all the time they spent alone together.
(c) Willard would be going off to war.
(d) May and Willard were madly in love.
5. Ruth also recalls when she got into the spelling bee and May allowed her to wear what?
(a) Her hair in curls.
(b) An heirloom pin.
(c) A pair of earrings.
(d) Her best dress.
6. While Ruth is working for Miss Finch, she begins to do what?
(a) Enjoy learning.
(b) Gain respect in school.
(c) Gain more self-esteem.
(d) Blossom into adulthood.
7. For _____ years, May lived with her parents, doing the chores with the younger children.
8. May learned the tragic news on what day?
(a) The day her sister Marion got married.
(b) Her birthday.
(c) Christmas Eve.
(d) The day of their first anniversary.
9. May is desperate to be what to Matt?
(a) His best friend.
(b) His sister.
(c) His mother.
(d) His confidante.
10. Artie, from the dry cleaners, talks Ruth into joining what?
(a) The Trim 'N Tidy bowling team.
(b) The Atlantis Super Wash Center basketball team.
(c) The Suds On 8th Avenue softball team.
(d) The Lucky Laundry tennis team.
11. As they grew older and Matt's _____________ continued to shine, Ruth began to torture him.
(a) Lover for their mother.
(c) Ability to make friends.
12. How did Sid feel about Ruth's first letter?
(a) She was impressed.
(b) She was embarrassed.
(c) She was annoyed.
(d) She was worried.
13. As a child, May would often tell her sisters she was going to do what?
(a) Sell them.
(b) Kill herself.
(c) Run away.
(d) Get married young.
14. It was a rare bit of praise for a child overshadowed by whom?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her older brother.
(c) Her father's friends.
(d) Her little brother.
15. How many happy memories does Ruth have of her family?
(a) A few.
Short Answer Questions
1. Matt is Ruth's younger brother. He always did everything ____________ she did.
2. What does May not buy Ruth?
3. Ruth is hired to do what for Miss Finch?
4. Ruth believes May is very _________ at this point in her life.
5. May cooks dinner while Ruth does what?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)