|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Ruth afraid to tell this story and May's reaction?
(a) She fears Aunt Sid will think her too stupid to be her pen pal.
(b) She fears Aunt Sid will laugh at her.
(c) She is embarrassed and does not want anyone to know what she had done.
(d) She fears Aunt Sid will be mad at her for this mistake.
2. May, either intentionally or unintentionally, does not notice what about Ruth?
(a) Her changing confidence.
(b) Her changing grades.
(c) Her changing intelligence.
(d) Her changing body.
3. One evening around the fourth of July, Daisy takes Ruth to the lake. They steal a boat and paddle out to the middle of the lake where they run into who?
(c) Dee Dee.
4. How many happy memories does Ruth have of her family?
(a) A few.
5. How does this affect Ruth?
(a) It cuts off her exposure to great literature.
(b) It gives her a new place to work.
(c) It give her more work to do.
(d) It forces her to look for a new job.
6. Ruth remembers one Christmas when the Reverend at her church announced what?
(a) Jesus is born.
(b) Satan has taken control of many lives.
(c) He would be retiring.
(d) The coming of Jesus.
7. At other times, Ruth reads snippets of the letters she receives from whom?
(b) Dee Dee.
(d) Aunt Sid.
8. One of May's brothers was deaf and moved to a deaf school when he was _________.
(a) Only four.
(b) Only three.
(c) Only six.
(d) Only five.
9. Ruth's father left when she was ______, just drove away and went to Texas to pick grapefruit and never returned.
10. Miss Finch is taken to a nursing home for what reason?
(a) She has become deaf.
(b) She has become frail.
(c) She has become ill.
(d) She has become senile.
11. Matt often shone in school, actually skipping a grade. How did this affect Ruth?
(a) She was worried about him.
(b) She dreamed to be him.
(c) He skipped to a grade ahead of her.
(d) He joined her class.
12. Ruth remembers mistaking __________ for onions one night.
(c) Tulip bulbs.
(d) Daffodil bulbs.
13. Ruth remembers the early letters Aunt Sid sent to her, filled with what stories?
(a) Growing up during the Great Depression.
(b) Going on vacations.
(c) Growing up in Honey Creek.
(d) Going to college in Chicago.
14. Willard was killed where?
(a) On the train to work.
(b) In the Atlantic.
(c) In the Pacific.
(d) In a bar.
15. On payday, Ruth hands her check over to May except for______ dollars which she puts away in a piggy bank.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ruth was left devastated by her own stupidity, despite advancing to the final _________.
2. Everyone liked Willard Jenson; he was _______________ young man.
3. What does Ruth discover about herself?
4. When Elmer Grey began coming around, a widower with a farm of his own, May accepted his attentions and they were married when?
5. May is desperate to be what to Matt?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)