|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At other times, Ruth reads snippets of the letters she receives from whom?
(a) Aunt Sid.
(c) Dee Dee.
2. Ruth does not have many memories of her father, but she can recall one afternoon when she helped a _______ deliver its baby how her father patted her on the head and told her she was a good farmer.
3. Ruth takes a job where?
(a) At the Trim 'N Tidy.
(b) At the Atlantis Super Wash Center.
(c) At the Suds On 8th Avenue.
(d) At the Lucky Laundry.
4. May was the oldest of ________ children and therefore had the burden of the chores placed on her shoulders.
5. Ruth's father left when she was ______, just drove away and went to Texas to pick grapefruit and never returned.
6. Did Ruth have friends?
(b) Yes, some.
(c) Yes, many.
(d) Yes, one.
7. How did Sid feel about Ruth's first letter?
(a) She was worried.
(b) She was impressed.
(c) She was annoyed.
(d) She was embarrassed.
8. Due to the amount of teasing Ruth receives at school, what does she do?
(a) She asks Aunt Sid for the money for school supplies.
(b) She asks Aunt Sid for money to buy bras but lies and says the money is for a gift for May's birthday.
(c) She asks Aunt Sid for the money to buy bras.
(d) She asks Aunt Sid to take her bra shopping.
9. In __________ grade, Ruth was instructed to write a letter to someone, so she chose Aunt Sid.
10. For _____ years, May lived with her parents, doing the chores with the younger children.
11. Ruth remembers the early letters Aunt Sid sent to her, filled with what stories?
(a) Growing up during the Great Depression.
(b) Going on vacations.
(c) Growing up in Honey Creek.
(d) Going to college in Chicago.
12. Did May accept this news?
(a) No, she refused it.
(b) Yes, she accepted it a couple days after she received the news.
(c) Yes, she accepted it.
(d) Yes, but only at first.
13. As a child, May would often tell her sisters she was going to do what?
(a) Sell them.
(b) Get married young.
(c) Run away.
(d) Kill herself.
14. Together as what do May and Ruth work?
(b) Cleaning ladies.
15. It was a rare bit of praise for a child overshadowed by whom?
(a) Her father's friends.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her little brother.
(d) Her older brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Ruth have to pay special attention in school?
2. Ruth realizes now that people in town must have felt how for her and her family?
3. Ruth believes May is very _________ at this point in her life.
4. May, either intentionally or unintentionally, does not notice what about Ruth?
5. What does Randall, Dee Dee's son, do to Ruth?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)