|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ruth remembers her first meeting with who?
(a) Her cousin Sid.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her Aunt Sid.
(d) Her neighbor Sid.
2. Sid tells Ruby that May would often have her boyfriend, Willard Jenson, over while she did what?
(a) Worked in the garden.
(d) The laundry.
3. How does this affect Ruth?
(a) It cuts off her exposure to great literature.
(b) It forces her to look for a new job.
(c) It gives her a new place to work.
(d) It give her more work to do.
4. Still she often had trouble with what?
(a) Paying attention.
(c) Verb conjugation.
(d) Some of the bigger words.
5. One of May's brothers was deaf and moved to a deaf school when he was _________.
(a) Only five.
(b) Only four.
(c) Only three.
(d) Only six.
6. Ruth also recalls when she got into the spelling bee and May allowed her to wear what?
(a) Her hair in curls.
(b) Her best dress.
(c) An heirloom pin.
(d) A pair of earrings.
7. What does she help the team do?
(a) Go to state competition.
(b) Become league champions.
(c) Win a trophy.
(d) Go to regional competition.
8. After a while, Miss Finch becomes what to Ruth?
(a) A friend.
(b) A mother.
(c) An acquaintance.
(d) A sister.
9. Matt lives in a world that does not include who?
(b) May and Ruth.
(d) Anyone but himself.
10. Ruth recalls a time when May suggested Ruth go to what?
(a) A school dance.
(b) A movie.
(c) A concert.
(d) A party.
11. Did Ruth have friends?
(b) Yes, many.
(c) Yes, one.
(d) Yes, some.
12. What does Ruth discover about herself?
(a) She is good at basketball.
(b) She is good at tennis.
(c) She is good at softball.
(d) She is good at bowling.
13. Immediately after graduation, Matt goes where?
(a) To college.
(b) To an academic camp.
(c) To summer camp.
(d) To Europe.
14. On payday, Ruth hands her check over to May except for______ dollars which she puts away in a piggy bank.
15. As a child, May would often tell her sisters she was going to do what?
(a) Get married young.
(b) Sell them.
(c) Run away.
(d) Kill herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. It was a rare bit of praise for a child overshadowed by whom?
2. As they grew older and Matt's _____________ continued to shine, Ruth began to torture him.
3. Matt is Ruth's younger brother. He always did everything ____________ she did.
4. Ruth remembers mistaking __________ for onions one night.
5. Ruth takes a job where?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)