|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ruth begins working for Miss Finch. Miss Finch lives down the road from the Grey's and lost what in her old age?
(a) Her mind.
(b) Her sight.
(c) Her hearing.
(d) Her ability to speak.
2. Artie, from the dry cleaners, talks Ruth into joining what?
(a) The Lucky Laundry tennis team.
(b) The Trim 'N Tidy bowling team.
(c) The Atlantis Super Wash Center basketball team.
(d) The Suds On 8th Avenue softball team.
3. May's main chore as a teenager was what?
(a) The cooking.
(b) The cleaning.
(c) The education of her younger siblings.
(d) The laundry.
4. At other times, Ruth reads snippets of the letters she receives from whom?
(a) Dee Dee.
(d) Aunt Sid.
5. What does Randall, Dee Dee's son, do to Ruth?
(a) He teases her.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He bullies her.
(d) He makes a pass at her.
6. May wore the same _________ from her sister's wedding to her husband's memorial service.
7. Why did May always think Willard would come back to her?
(a) Because she could not accept that he was dead.
(b) Because Willard said he would never leave her.
(c) Because the police could not find his body.
(d) Because the military was never able to supply a body.
8. Ruth feels like an afterthought at graduation. Why?
(a) She has no plans for the future and is not happy to see high school ending.
(b) Matt graduates the same day and all the attention is placed on him.
(c) She was not sure if she would even graduate.
(d) Everyone else in her class had parties planned for them, so Ruth's mom felt guilty at the last minute and threw her one.
9. What could Ruth's teachers not help doing?
(a) Comparing her to the other students.
(b) Comparing her to Matt.
(c) Ignoring her.
(d) Teasing her.
10. How does Ruth feel about these books?
(a) She fears them.
(b) She is annoyed by them.
(c) She is excited about them.
(d) She is interested in them.
11. In __________ grade, Ruth was instructed to write a letter to someone, so she chose Aunt Sid.
12. Miss Finch is taken to a nursing home for what reason?
(a) She has become frail.
(b) She has become ill.
(c) She has become senile.
(d) She has become deaf.
13. When May discovered Sid had given Ruth a musical jewelry box, what did she do?
(a) She begged Sid to take it back.
(b) She quickly confiscated the gift.
(c) She asked Sid to say it was from her.
(d) She yelled at Sid.
14. Ruth remembers her first meeting with who?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her Aunt Sid.
(c) Her cousin Sid.
(d) Her neighbor Sid.
15. May, either intentionally or unintentionally, does not notice what about Ruth?
(a) Her changing confidence.
(b) Her changing grades.
(c) Her changing intelligence.
(d) Her changing body.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was going to change the world?
2. Ruth's father left when she was ______, just drove away and went to Texas to pick grapefruit and never returned.
3. Does Ruth intend to stay the first few times she goes to Miss Finch's?
4. As children they often played house together, but Matt had to be who?
5. Ruth remembers one birthday when May did what for her?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)