|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Everyone liked Willard Jenson; he was _______________ young man.
(a) An odd but friendly.
(b) An intelligent.
(c) A good looking and charming.
(d) A kind and handsome.
2. Mrs. Foote's husband dies from what?
(a) His heart disease.
(b) His liver disease.
(c) His cancer.
(d) His kidney disease.
3. While Ruth is working for Miss Finch, she begins to do what?
(a) Gain more self-esteem.
(b) Blossom into adulthood.
(c) Gain respect in school.
(d) Enjoy learning.
4. Unfortunately Ruth lost out on the spelling bee. How did May treat her?
(d) With disappointment.
5. Why is Ruth afraid to tell this story and May's reaction?
(a) She fears Aunt Sid will be mad at her for this mistake.
(b) She is embarrassed and does not want anyone to know what she had done.
(c) She fears Aunt Sid will laugh at her.
(d) She fears Aunt Sid will think her too stupid to be her pen pal.
6. Ruth takes a job where?
(a) At the Lucky Laundry.
(b) At the Atlantis Super Wash Center.
(c) At the Suds On 8th Avenue.
(d) At the Trim 'N Tidy.
7. Where does Matt go to school in the fall?
8. How many happy memories does Ruth have of her family?
(a) A few.
9. Ruth was left devastated by her own stupidity, despite advancing to the final _________.
10. Ruth recalls how in school she began with what impression?
(a) She was special.
(b) She was dumb.
(c) She was popular.
(d) She was smart.
11. Ruth remembers mistaking __________ for onions one night.
(b) Daffodil bulbs.
(d) Tulip bulbs.
12. May's main chore as a teenager was what?
(a) The laundry.
(b) The education of her younger siblings.
(c) The cooking.
(d) The cleaning.
13. Due to the amount of teasing Ruth receives at school, what does she do?
(a) She asks Aunt Sid to take her bra shopping.
(b) She asks Aunt Sid for the money for school supplies.
(c) She asks Aunt Sid for the money to buy bras.
(d) She asks Aunt Sid for money to buy bras but lies and says the money is for a gift for May's birthday.
14. Who was going to change the world?
(d) The congregation.
15. The marriage was a happy one, until what?
(a) Willard lost his job.
(b) May became pregnant.
(c) World War I began.
(d) World War II began.
Short Answer Questions
1. Matt lives in a world that does not include who?
2. Sid tells Ruby that May would often have her boyfriend, Willard Jenson, over while she did what?
3. For _____ years, May lived with her parents, doing the chores with the younger children.
4. Ruth recalls how her mother often told her her father's leaving was whose fault?
5. May cooks dinner while Ruth does what?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)