|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Some of the books are non-fiction, but many of them are classic literature, such as Charles Dickens' Bleak House and Jane Austen's _______________.
(b) Sense and Sensibility.
(c) Mansfield Park.
(d) Pride and Prejudice.
2. Ruth's father left when she was ______, just drove away and went to Texas to pick grapefruit and never returned.
3. Why did May always think Willard would come back to her?
(a) Because Willard said he would never leave her.
(b) Because the military was never able to supply a body.
(c) Because the police could not find his body.
(d) Because she could not accept that he was dead.
4. Unfortunately Ruth lost out on the spelling bee. How did May treat her?
(c) With disappointment.
5. Ruth begins working for Miss Finch. Miss Finch lives down the road from the Grey's and lost what in her old age?
(a) Her ability to speak.
(b) Her sight.
(c) Her mind.
(d) Her hearing.
6. As they grew older and Matt's _____________ continued to shine, Ruth began to torture him.
(a) Ability to make friends.
(d) Lover for their mother.
7. How does Ruth feel about these books?
(a) She is annoyed by them.
(b) She fears them.
(c) She is interested in them.
(d) She is excited about them.
8. May's main chore as a teenager was what?
(a) The education of her younger siblings.
(b) The laundry.
(c) The cooking.
(d) The cleaning.
9. May often has to remind Ruth to do what?
(a) Be polite to the customers.
(b) Finish her work.
(c) Listen to her boss.
(d) Stay organized.
10. May shows Ruth how to do what but stops abruptly when Matt walks in and sees them?
(a) Have a casual conversation.
11. They would dance among what?
(a) Rose bushes.
(b) The piles of dirty clothes.
(c) The pots and pans.
(d) Mops and brooms.
12. Artie, from the dry cleaners, talks Ruth into joining what?
(a) The Suds On 8th Avenue softball team.
(b) The Atlantis Super Wash Center basketball team.
(c) The Lucky Laundry tennis team.
(d) The Trim 'N Tidy bowling team.
13. How did Ruth feel when Jesus did not really make an appearance?
(a) She was angry.
(b) She was surprised.
(c) She was worried.
(d) She was disappointed.
14. What does she help the team do?
(a) Go to regional competition.
(b) Become league champions.
(c) Go to state competition.
(d) Win a trophy.
15. When May discovered Sid had given Ruth a musical jewelry box, what did she do?
(a) She begged Sid to take it back.
(b) She yelled at Sid.
(c) She asked Sid to say it was from her.
(d) She quickly confiscated the gift.
Short Answer Questions
1. May wore the same _________ from her sister's wedding to her husband's memorial service.
2. Immediately after graduation, Matt goes where?
3. The marriage was a happy one, until what?
4. It was a rare bit of praise for a child overshadowed by whom?
5. Where does Matt go to school in the fall?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)