|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. May often has to remind Ruth to do what?
(a) Stay organized.
(b) Be polite to the customers.
(c) Finish her work.
(d) Listen to her boss.
2. How did Sid feel about Ruth's first letter?
(a) She was worried.
(b) She was embarrassed.
(c) She was impressed.
(d) She was annoyed.
3. Matt often shone in school, actually skipping a grade. How did this affect Ruth?
(a) He joined her class.
(b) He skipped to a grade ahead of her.
(c) She dreamed to be him.
(d) She was worried about him.
4. In __________ grade, Ruth was instructed to write a letter to someone, so she chose Aunt Sid.
5. As they grew older and Matt's _____________ continued to shine, Ruth began to torture him.
(b) Lover for their mother.
(d) Ability to make friends.
6. Ruth relates the story of her mother's life as it was told to her by whom?
(a) Her counselor, Sharry.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her Aunt Sid.
(d) Her brother, Matt.
7. They would dance among what?
(a) Mops and brooms.
(b) The pots and pans.
(c) The piles of dirty clothes.
(d) Rose bushes.
8. Daisy wants to be what in Hollywood or New York?
(a) A waitress.
(b) A model.
(c) A movie star.
(d) A makeup artist.
9. Did May accept this news?
(a) No, she refused it.
(b) Yes, but only at first.
(c) Yes, she accepted it.
(d) Yes, she accepted it a couple days after she received the news.
10. Everyone liked Willard Jenson; he was _______________ young man.
(a) A kind and handsome.
(b) An odd but friendly.
(c) A good looking and charming.
(d) An intelligent.
11. What does Artie proudly display in the store?
(a) The bowling trophy.
(b) The softball trophy.
(c) The tennis trophy.
(d) The basketball trophy.
12. Why is Ruth afraid to tell this story and May's reaction?
(a) She fears Aunt Sid will be mad at her for this mistake.
(b) She is embarrassed and does not want anyone to know what she had done.
(c) She fears Aunt Sid will laugh at her.
(d) She fears Aunt Sid will think her too stupid to be her pen pal.
13. Matt is Ruth's younger brother. He always did everything ____________ she did.
(a) The same as.
(b) Similar to how.
(c) Faster and better than.
(d) Slower and worse than.
14. Ruth recalls how her mother often told her her father's leaving was whose fault?
(a) No one's.
15. Unfortunately Ruth lost out on the spelling bee. How did May treat her?
(c) With disappointment.
Short Answer Questions
1. When May discovered Sid had given Ruth a musical jewelry box, what did she do?
2. Together as what do May and Ruth work?
3. While Ruth is working for Miss Finch, she begins to do what?
4. On payday, Ruth hands her check over to May except for______ dollars which she puts away in a piggy bank.
5. It was a rare bit of praise for a child overshadowed by whom?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)