|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. May, either intentionally or unintentionally, does not notice what about Ruth?
(a) Her changing body.
(b) Her changing intelligence.
(c) Her changing grades.
(d) Her changing confidence.
2. What does May not buy Ruth?
(b) School supplies.
3. As they grew older and Matt's _____________ continued to shine, Ruth began to torture him.
(a) Ability to make friends.
(d) Lover for their mother.
4. What does Ruth discover about herself?
(a) She is good at bowling.
(b) She is good at softball.
(c) She is good at tennis.
(d) She is good at basketball.
5. When they finally married, most people thought it was for what reason?
(a) May's parents forced Willard to marry her.
(b) May and Willard were madly in love.
(c) Willard would be going off to war.
(d) May was pregnant from all the time they spent alone together.
6. The town is so _________ that everyone knows everyone's business.
7. When Elmer Grey began coming around, a widower with a farm of his own, May accepted his attentions and they were married when?
(a) A year later.
(b) A short time later.
(c) Two years later.
(d) Five years later.
8. The marriage was a happy one, until what?
(a) World War II began.
(b) Willard lost his job.
(c) May became pregnant.
(d) World War I began.
9. One of May's brothers was deaf and moved to a deaf school when he was _________.
(a) Only six.
(b) Only four.
(c) Only five.
(d) Only three.
10. While Ruth is working for Miss Finch, she begins to do what?
(a) Gain more self-esteem.
(b) Enjoy learning.
(c) Blossom into adulthood.
(d) Gain respect in school.
11. May cooks dinner while Ruth does what?
(a) Cleans the house.
(b) The laundry.
(c) Watches television.
(d) Tends to the chickens and collects the eggs.
12. Ruth remembers mistaking __________ for onions one night.
(c) Daffodil bulbs.
(d) Tulip bulbs.
13. As children they often played house together, but Matt had to be who?
(a) The son.
(b) The groom.
(c) The father.
(d) The bride.
14. Ruth realizes now that people in town must have felt how for her and her family?
15. One evening around the fourth of July, Daisy takes Ruth to the lake. They steal a boat and paddle out to the middle of the lake where they run into who?
(a) Dee Dee.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ruth remembers the early letters Aunt Sid sent to her, filled with what stories?
2. Everyone liked Willard Jenson; he was _______________ young man.
3. Immediately after graduation, Matt goes where?
4. Together as what do May and Ruth work?
5. In __________ grade, Ruth was instructed to write a letter to someone, so she chose Aunt Sid.
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)