|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Due to the amount of teasing Ruth receives at school, what does she do?
(a) She asks Aunt Sid for money to buy bras but lies and says the money is for a gift for May's birthday.
(b) She asks Aunt Sid to take her bra shopping.
(c) She asks Aunt Sid for the money to buy bras.
(d) She asks Aunt Sid for the money for school supplies.
2. How does this affect Ruth?
(a) It give her more work to do.
(b) It cuts off her exposure to great literature.
(c) It forces her to look for a new job.
(d) It gives her a new place to work.
3. Matt often shone in school, actually skipping a grade. How did this affect Ruth?
(a) He skipped to a grade ahead of her.
(b) He joined her class.
(c) She was worried about him.
(d) She dreamed to be him.
4. Unfortunately Ruth lost out on the spelling bee. How did May treat her?
(c) With disappointment.
5. When Elmer Grey began coming around, a widower with a farm of his own, May accepted his attentions and they were married when?
(a) A year later.
(b) A short time later.
(c) Two years later.
(d) Five years later.
6. Daisy wants to be what in Hollywood or New York?
(a) A movie star.
(b) A model.
(c) A makeup artist.
(d) A waitress.
7. Ruth remembers mistaking __________ for onions one night.
(a) Daffodil bulbs.
(b) Tulip bulbs.
8. After a while, Miss Finch becomes what to Ruth?
(a) An acquaintance.
(b) A sister.
(c) A mother.
(d) A friend.
9. Ruth remembers her first meeting with who?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her Aunt Sid.
(c) Her cousin Sid.
(d) Her neighbor Sid.
10. It was a rare bit of praise for a child overshadowed by whom?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her father's friends.
(c) Her little brother.
(d) Her older brother.
11. Ruth begins working for Miss Finch. Miss Finch lives down the road from the Grey's and lost what in her old age?
(a) Her sight.
(b) Her ability to speak.
(c) Her mind.
(d) Her hearing.
12. Ruth takes a job where?
(a) At the Suds On 8th Avenue.
(b) At the Lucky Laundry.
(c) At the Trim 'N Tidy.
(d) At the Atlantis Super Wash Center.
13. What does Artie proudly display in the store?
(a) The tennis trophy.
(b) The bowling trophy.
(c) The softball trophy.
(d) The basketball trophy.
14. What happened one afternoon when Ruth's father accidentally spilled ice cream on her head?
(a) Everyone became angry with him.
(b) Everyone laughed at her.
(c) Everyone ignored her.
(d) Everyone laughed together at that.
15. Immediately after graduation, Matt goes where?
(a) To Europe.
(b) To summer camp.
(c) To college.
(d) To an academic camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sid tells Ruby that May would often have her boyfriend, Willard Jenson, over while she did what?
2. May often has to remind Ruth to do what?
3. Where does Matt go to school in the fall?
4. May wore the same _________ from her sister's wedding to her husband's memorial service.
5. Artie, from the dry cleaners, talks Ruth into joining what?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)