|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. They would dance among what?
(a) Rose bushes.
(b) Mops and brooms.
(c) The pots and pans.
(d) The piles of dirty clothes.
2. Together as what do May and Ruth work?
(d) Cleaning ladies.
3. How does this affect Ruth?
(a) It forces her to look for a new job.
(b) It gives her a new place to work.
(c) It give her more work to do.
(d) It cuts off her exposure to great literature.
4. Ruth recalls how in school she began with what impression?
(a) She was popular.
(b) She was dumb.
(c) She was special.
(d) She was smart.
5. Daisy wants to be what in Hollywood or New York?
(a) A makeup artist.
(b) A movie star.
(c) A model.
(d) A waitress.
6. Honey Creek is a small farm town in the ______________ part of Illinois.
7. May, either intentionally or unintentionally, does not notice what about Ruth?
(a) Her changing body.
(b) Her changing confidence.
(c) Her changing intelligence.
(d) Her changing grades.
8. Why is Ruth afraid to tell this story and May's reaction?
(a) She fears Aunt Sid will laugh at her.
(b) She fears Aunt Sid will be mad at her for this mistake.
(c) She fears Aunt Sid will think her too stupid to be her pen pal.
(d) She is embarrassed and does not want anyone to know what she had done.
9. Ruth would often catch bees and leave them where?
(a) In Matt's car.
(b) In the house.
(c) In Matt's bed.
(d) In Matt's club house.
10. Ruth is hired to do what for Miss Finch?
(a) Read to her.
(b) Organize her her books in braille.
(c) Set up books on tape.
(d) Cook for her.
11. Ruth recalls how her mother often told her her father's leaving was whose fault?
(c) No one's.
12. Matt often shone in school, actually skipping a grade. How did this affect Ruth?
(a) He joined her class.
(b) He skipped to a grade ahead of her.
(c) She dreamed to be him.
(d) She was worried about him.
13. Everyone liked Willard Jenson; he was _______________ young man.
(a) A kind and handsome.
(b) A good looking and charming.
(c) An odd but friendly.
(d) An intelligent.
14. May cooks dinner while Ruth does what?
(a) Cleans the house.
(b) Tends to the chickens and collects the eggs.
(c) Watches television.
(d) The laundry.
15. When May discovered Sid had given Ruth a musical jewelry box, what did she do?
(a) She yelled at Sid.
(b) She asked Sid to say it was from her.
(c) She quickly confiscated the gift.
(d) She begged Sid to take it back.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ruth also recalls when she got into the spelling bee and May allowed her to wear what?
2. After a while, Miss Finch becomes what to Ruth?
3. On payday, Ruth hands her check over to May except for______ dollars which she puts away in a piggy bank.
4. Ruth takes a job where?
5. As children they often played house together, but Matt had to be who?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)