|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ruth relates the story of her mother's life as it was told to her by whom?
(a) Her brother, Matt.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her counselor, Sharry.
(d) Her Aunt Sid.
2. Unfortunately Ruth lost out on the spelling bee. How did May treat her?
(d) With disappointment.
3. Still she often had trouble with what?
(b) Verb conjugation.
(c) Paying attention.
(d) Some of the bigger words.
4. They would dance among what?
(a) The pots and pans.
(b) The piles of dirty clothes.
(c) Rose bushes.
(d) Mops and brooms.
5. Ruth remembers the early letters Aunt Sid sent to her, filled with what stories?
(a) Going on vacations.
(b) Growing up in Honey Creek.
(c) Going to college in Chicago.
(d) Growing up during the Great Depression.
6. _________ years later Ruth was born and Matthew the following year.
7. Ruth would often catch bees and leave them where?
(a) In Matt's car.
(b) In Matt's club house.
(c) In Matt's bed.
(d) In the house.
8. May was the oldest of ________ children and therefore had the burden of the chores placed on her shoulders.
9. Together as what do May and Ruth work?
(c) Cleaning ladies.
10. Did Ruth have friends?
(b) Yes, many.
(c) Yes, some.
(d) Yes, one.
11. Ruth recalls how in school she began with what impression?
(a) She was popular.
(b) She was special.
(c) She was dumb.
(d) She was smart.
12. Ruth does not have many memories of her father, but she can recall one afternoon when she helped a _______ deliver its baby how her father patted her on the head and told her she was a good farmer.
13. Honey Creek is a small farm town in the ______________ part of Illinois.
14. As a child, May would often tell her sisters she was going to do what?
(a) Get married young.
(b) Run away.
(c) Sell them.
(d) Kill herself.
15. Matt lives in a world that does not include who?
(a) Anyone but himself.
(d) May and Ruth.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Sid feel about Ruth's first letter?
2. Everyone liked Willard Jenson; he was _______________ young man.
3. What does May not buy Ruth?
4. Ruth also recalls when she got into the spelling bee and May allowed her to wear what?
5. Ruth remembers mistaking __________ for onions one night.
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)