|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Artie, from the dry cleaners, talks Ruth into joining what?
(a) The Atlantis Super Wash Center basketball team.
(b) The Trim 'N Tidy bowling team.
(c) The Suds On 8th Avenue softball team.
(d) The Lucky Laundry tennis team.
2. Ruth feels like an afterthought at graduation. Why?
(a) Everyone else in her class had parties planned for them, so Ruth's mom felt guilty at the last minute and threw her one.
(b) Matt graduates the same day and all the attention is placed on him.
(c) She was not sure if she would even graduate.
(d) She has no plans for the future and is not happy to see high school ending.
3. _________ years later Ruth was born and Matthew the following year.
4. Willard was killed where?
(a) In the Pacific.
(b) On the train to work.
(c) In a bar.
(d) In the Atlantic.
5. How did these feelings about herself affect her?
(a) They caused her to fail over and over again.
(b) They caused her great embarrassment.
(c) They caused her to be successful.
(d) They caused her to skip a grade.
6. How does Ruby begin her story?
(a) By describing her son.
(b) By describing her family.
(c) By describing the town in which she grew up.
(d) By describing herself.
7. Ruth takes a job where?
(a) At the Trim 'N Tidy.
(b) At the Atlantis Super Wash Center.
(c) At the Suds On 8th Avenue.
(d) At the Lucky Laundry.
8. What could Ruth's teachers not help doing?
(a) Comparing her to the other students.
(b) Teasing her.
(c) Comparing her to Matt.
(d) Ignoring her.
9. Still she often had trouble with what?
(a) Verb conjugation.
(b) Some of the bigger words.
(c) Paying attention.
10. Unfortunately Ruth lost out on the spelling bee. How did May treat her?
(a) With disappointment.
11. Ruth is hired to do what for Miss Finch?
(a) Organize her her books in braille.
(b) Cook for her.
(c) Set up books on tape.
(d) Read to her.
12. Miss Finch is taken to a nursing home for what reason?
(a) She has become senile.
(b) She has become ill.
(c) She has become frail.
(d) She has become deaf.
13. Sid tells Ruby that May would often have her boyfriend, Willard Jenson, over while she did what?
(b) Worked in the garden.
(d) The laundry.
14. May learned the tragic news on what day?
(a) Christmas Eve.
(b) The day her sister Marion got married.
(c) Her birthday.
(d) The day of their first anniversary.
15. Who was going to change the world?
(d) The congregation.
Short Answer Questions
1. They often share personal stories, and sometimes Miss Finch talks about her husband and what?
2. How does this affect Ruth?
3. Ruth would often catch bees and leave them where?
4. May, either intentionally or unintentionally, does not notice what about Ruth?
5. It was a rare bit of praise for a child overshadowed by whom?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)