|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ruth does not have many memories of her father, but she can recall one afternoon when she helped a _______ deliver its baby how her father patted her on the head and told her she was a good farmer.
2. As they grew older and Matt's _____________ continued to shine, Ruth began to torture him.
(b) Lover for their mother.
(c) Ability to make friends.
3. On payday, Ruth hands her check over to May except for______ dollars which she puts away in a piggy bank.
4. What does Artie proudly display in the store?
(a) The basketball trophy.
(b) The softball trophy.
(c) The tennis trophy.
(d) The bowling trophy.
5. Everyone liked Willard Jenson; he was _______________ young man.
(a) A good looking and charming.
(b) A kind and handsome.
(c) An intelligent.
(d) An odd but friendly.
6. Why did Ruth have to pay special attention in school?
(a) So she could pass tests.
(b) So she could earn a compliment.
(c) So she could be as smart as her brother.
(d) So she could read these letters.
7. May is desperate to be what to Matt?
(a) His best friend.
(b) His confidante.
(c) His sister.
(d) His mother.
8. The town is so _________ that everyone knows everyone's business.
9. Sid came to make amends with May over an argument dealing with what?
(a) The distribution of their parents' things upon their death.
(b) May's husband.
(c) Paying the mortgage.
(d) The raising of May's children.
10. May, either intentionally or unintentionally, does not notice what about Ruth?
(a) Her changing confidence.
(b) Her changing intelligence.
(c) Her changing grades.
(d) Her changing body.
11. Mrs. Foote's husband dies from what?
(a) His cancer.
(b) His kidney disease.
(c) His heart disease.
(d) His liver disease.
12. When they finally married, most people thought it was for what reason?
(a) May was pregnant from all the time they spent alone together.
(b) May and Willard were madly in love.
(c) May's parents forced Willard to marry her.
(d) Willard would be going off to war.
13. Where does Matt go to school in the fall?
14. May cooks dinner while Ruth does what?
(a) The laundry.
(b) Cleans the house.
(c) Watches television.
(d) Tends to the chickens and collects the eggs.
15. Matt is Ruth's younger brother. He always did everything ____________ she did.
(a) Slower and worse than.
(b) Faster and better than.
(c) The same as.
(d) Similar to how.
Short Answer Questions
1. Artie, from the dry cleaners, talks Ruth into joining what?
2. One evening around the fourth of July, Daisy takes Ruth to the lake. They steal a boat and paddle out to the middle of the lake where they run into who?
3. What could Ruth's teachers not help doing?
4. Ruth is hired to do what for Miss Finch?
5. Honey Creek is a small farm town in the ______________ part of Illinois.
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)