|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Carriscant react when he performs an appendectomy?
2. What do Carriscant and Delphine tell Seiverance?
3. What does Panteleon have to decide about the engine after it arrives?
4. For how many murders is Carriscant arrested?
5. Why does Pantaleon want to buy on the black market?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Annaliese say about Delphine after Annaliese meets her at the Governor's social?
2. What is the outcome of Carriscant's trial?
3. Why does Delphine take up painting and how does that enable her affair with Carriscant?
4. What happens when Carriscant meets Delphine and why does she reject him?
5. Describe Delphine's surgery.
6. What does Carriscant contemplate doing after fighting with Wieland?
7. What happens to Carriscant's Chinese patient, and what does this set Carriscant to thinking?
8. Whom does Carriscant contact about a black market engine and why does Panteleon want an engine on the black market?
9. Where is Seiverance going and what does he do in preparation?
10. What does Cruz show Carriscant in Cruz's operating room and what does Carriscant think of what he is seeing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Blue Afternoon.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Blue Afternoon. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Blue Afternoon. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Carriscant and Cruz. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Kay and Annaliese. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Blue Afternoon help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Blue Afternoon based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Blue Afternoon is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Blue Afternoon a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)