|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pounds asks Harry to solve a case by New Year's Day to improve the Department's statistics. Why does this offend Harry?
(a) Harry is convinced that Pounds is not a good boss.
(b) Harry thinks Pounds has a hidden agenda.
(c) He thinks Pounds is more concerned with numbers than people.
(d) Harry does not think murder investigations should be solved hastily.
2. In Chapter 10, Bosch makes a mysterious phone call and reveals what he just learned about the autopsy results. Who is it most likely that he calls?
(a) Harry's attorney.
(b) Moore's killer.
(c) A journalist.
(d) The police chief.
3. Harry's meeting with Teresa Corazon is intended to give him more information about the Juan Doe who was found dead in the alley behind the diner. What does Harry find out?
(a) He was killed by Cal Moore.
(b) He was killed with a wooden stick.
(c) His body was dumped in the alley after death.
(d) He was killed with a wooden stick and his body was dumped in the alley after death.
4. What is the atmosphere like in the police station where Harry works?
5. In the first chapter, Harry is thinking about an animal he is attempting to feed and has named "Timido." What kind of animal is it?
(a) A squirrel.
(b) His dog.
(c) A coyote.
(d) A chicken.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Harry more worried about spending New Year's Eve alone than Christmas?
2. What does Harry think makes a case more difficult to solve?
3. Why didn't the other patrons leave the bar when Porter and Harry started to fight?
4. It's Cal Moore who first tells Harry about Black Ice. What is Ice?
5. The murdered man that Harry called "Juan Doe" is really named Fernal Guitierrez-Llosa. What does Harry learn that Guitierrez-Llosa did for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rickard doing when he calls Harry in Chapter 11?
2. What probably happened to Porter after Harry lost him in the coffee shop?
3. What is the BANG squad?
4. What does Harry learn from the crime scene technician in Chapter 8?
5. Why does Harry's possible identification of the Juan Doe in Chapter 13 confirm that the three cases might be related?
6. Give at least two reasons that foreshadow the fact that Harry will go to Mexico.
7. Why does Harry have to sweet talk the crime scene technician who processed the Moore case in Chapter 8?
8. How does the reader know, in Chapter 7, that Harry empathizes with Porter?
9. What does Harry's boss tell him at the beginning of Chapter 5, and what is Harry's response?
10. What is black ice?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)