|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 18, Harry goes to to Cal Moore's apartment to investigate. This is risky, as police brass would not like it. Why does Harry go there anyway?
(a) He needs to find his missing badge.
(b) He feels like he is the only one who cares to find out how Cal Moore really died.
(c) He made a promise to Cal's widow.
(d) He needs to clear his own name in this case.
2. Harry also calls Teresa Corazon in Chapter 23 to find out if Porter's murder was connected to any others. What does he find out?
(a) That Porter was born in Mexicali.
(b) Porter and Jimmy Kapps had been killed in the same manner.
(c) That Cal Moore's prints were found on Porter.
(d) That Porter had fruit flies in his eyes.
3. Why do Irving and so many others not trust Harry, despite the fact that he is a dedicated detective?
(a) Because he does not play for a team, he plays for himself.
(b) Because he is so violent.
(c) Because they suspect he is getting a pay-off.
(d) Because he only works for the money.
4. Why does Harry look away from his own image in the mirror after he shoots Moore?
(a) The mirror is cracked.
(b) He is scared by the sight of blood.
(c) He looks awful after his long trip.
(d) Because he feels guilty.
5. Who does Aguila take Harry to visit?
(a) The US Ambassador to Mexico.
(b) Cal Moore's widow.
(d) The sheriff of the City of Lost Souls.
6. Harry and Aguila don't leave EnviroBreed despite Ely's angry outburst. What do they find out from a bureaucrat they speak with?
(a) That Guitierrez-Llosa worked at EnviroBreed for six months.
(b) He inspects every box shipped out from EnviroBreed.
(c) That Ely does do all of the hiring.
(d) That all of the hiring records were destroyed in a fire.
7. Why does Ely say he would be unable to determine if Guitierrez-Llosa worked for EnviroBreed?
(a) Because Guitierrez-Llosa was an immigrant.
(b) Because he has nothing to do with employment.
(c) Because he never heard of Guitierrez-Llosa.
(d) Because day laborers are not on the books.
8. Why do Harry and Aguila go to the airport in Chapter 28?
(a) To catch a plane back to L.A.
(b) To question the ticket agents about Moore's murder.
(c) To visit the DEA agents at their secret headquarters.
(d) To examine evidence on a plane.
9. Ramos is the DEA operative Corvo set Harry up with in Mexico. Why does he come to Mexicali to visit Harry?
(a) Because the DEA is unhappy about Harry's visit to EnviroBreed.
(b) Because he found another Juan Doe.
(c) Because Cal Moore was seen at a bullfight.
(d) Because he always wanted to visit Mexicali.
10. How does Harry respond to Agulia's story about how he got involved in the Guitierrez-Llosa case?
(a) He realizes that Agulia is a good cop and someone he can trust.
(b) He does not believe him.
(c) He helps Aguila to tell the whole story.
(d) He dislikes Aguila intensely.
11. Why does Harry feel guilty when speaking to Aguila in Chapter 21?
(a) He wants to confess to Agullia that he killed Moore.
(b) He thinks he might hurt Aguila's career.
(c) He wishes he could tell him about his Cal Moore investigation.
(d) He feels bad about US-Mexico relations.
12. In Chapter 26, Harry visits Calexico's historical society. He tells the worker there that he is helping a friend with his family tree. Why is he really there?
(a) To learn the history of Calexico.
(b) To learn about Teresa's family history.
(c) To learn more about Cal Moore's connection to Zorrillo.
(d) To learn about his own family history.
13. Why does Harry go to the bar called "Code 7" in Chapter 17?
(a) To meet his girlfriend.
(b) To buy drugs.
(c) To meet the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) officer named Corvo who might have worked with Cal Moore.
(d) To get a drink after work.
14. Why does Harry believe that the EnviroBreed ranch is connected to the drug trade Cal Moore had been investigating?
(a) He thinks the Black Ice dealers used the ranch to distribute the drug to the North.
(b) Harry belives that EnviroBreed is a cover for DEA agents.
(c) Harry believes that EnviroBreed is growing marijuana.
(d) He thinks EnviroBreed is a terrorist front group.
15. In Chapter 23, Harry calls L.A. and checks in with fellow detective Jerry Edgar. What does Edgar tell him their Lieutenant is thinking?
(a) That Harry killed Lucius Porter.
(b) That Lucius Porter faked his own suicide.
(c) That Harry is a drug dealer.
(d) That Lucius Porter and Cal Moore are the same person.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Harry question Corvo's ability to be an effective undercover police officer in Chapter 17?
2. In Chapter 24, Harry attempts to get in to EnviroBreed. How does he overcome their security measures?
3. Before leaving for Mexico in Chapter 19, what does Harry hide in the trunk of his car?
4. Why does Porter's death shake Harry?
5. In Chapter 22, Harry asks why Agulia bothered to send a message to the US Consul notifying them that Guitierrez-Llosa was missing. What does Agulia say?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)