|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Harry realize that he has lost after attempting to interrogate Kerwin in Chapter 15?
(a) His faith in humanity.
(b) His car keys.
(c) His home.
(d) The art of getting people to talk you rather than forcing them.
2. Why does Teresa conclude that Moore's death was not a homicide?
(a) Because Teresa was unsure what the autopsy results meant.
(b) Because Teresa was not very good at her job.
(c) Because police brass pressured her to say that the death was inconclusive.
(d) Because Teresa was in cahoots with his killer.
3. What attracts Harry Bosch's attention on the police scanner as the book opens?
(a) A house fire.
(b) Smoke signals.
(c) Forest fire.
4. Why does Bosch sometimes think solving homicide cases are all that matter?
(a) Because Harry believes in the sanctity of life.
(b) Because the politics involved in other departments are too intense.
(c) Because drug arrests only result in new dealers replacing those who have been incarcerated.
(d) Because Harry is concerned about receiving his pension upon retirement.
5. How well does Harry know Cal Moore, the murder victim?
(a) They were best friends.
(b) They used to be partners.
(c) They were enemies.
(d) They'd had drinks together once at a bar.
6. Where does Harry look when he returns to his search for Porter in Chapter 12?
(a) "Bottle clubs" that open after bars close.
(c) Drive-in theaters.
(d) Twenty-four hour restaurants.
7. What does Harry realize about Rickard as they process the arrest of the young drug dealer?
(a) That he is sensitive to the needs of teens.
(b) That he does not like Harry.
(c) That he does not believe in drug laws.
(d) That he enjoys intimidating the people he arrests.
8. During his conversation in Chapter 5 with Pounds, Harry takes his "full measure." What is it that he realizes?
(a) Pounds is not a good cop.
(b) Pounds is a killer.
(c) Pounds is very smart.
(d) Pounds is a bureaucrat more than he is a cop.
9. How does Harry suspect that the man he is calling Juan Doe got from Mexicali to LA?
(a) With the police.
(b) In a cardboard carton full of fruit flies.
(c) On a train.
(d) He crawled over the border.
10. Why was Harry demoted from the elite Robbery Homicide Division?
(a) He did not get along with his superiors.
(b) He shot an unarmed man by mistake.
(c) He was not able to solve enough cases.
(d) He was accused of corruption.
11. What odd thing does Teresa find in the Juan Doe's ears?
(b) Residue from heroin.
(c) Brown dust from wheat.
(d) Insect eggs.
12. Why does Teresa feel compelled to say that the reason for Cal Moore's death was inconclusive?
(a) Moore's fingerprints did not match the prints found on the gun.
(b) Moore's dental records did not match.
(c) The impact of the gunshot to his brain proved that he was shot from behind.
(d) The autopsy results proved that there were multiple shooters.
13. Why do Teresa and Harry decide to eat at a restaurant different than the one they chose originally?
(a) They got into a fight about what kind of food to have.
(b) They cannot find parking.
(c) They are worried that Cal Moore's killer is following them.
(d) There are too many members of the media at the bar they chose.
14. After Moore dies, what task does Bosch agree to help with in his murder investigation?
(a) Performing an autopsy.
(b) Talking to the neighbors about what they may have heard.
(c) Fingerprinting the crime scene.
(d) He notifies Moore's wife of his death.
15. What does Parker Center--the L.A. Police Department's headquarters--symbolize to Harry in Chapter 8?
(a) A web of corruption.
(b) A beacon for justice.
(c) A bureaucratic labyrinth.
(d) The end of his career.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Moore reveal to Harry that he (Moore) is from?
2. When they meet up on stage in this novel the first time, what does Moore's wife accuse Harry of?
3. What is the atmosphere like in the police station where Harry works?
4. Why do Harry and Rickard threaten to arrest a kid they meet on the street?
5. What advice does Moore ask Bosch for before his death?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)