|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Harry more worried about spending New Year's Eve alone than Christmas?
(a) Because he wants someone to kiss at midnight.
(b) Because New Year's Eve is more fun.
(c) Because he does not like Christmas.
(d) Because it is a night for jazz.
2. Why would Assistant Chief Irving want to cover up the possible murder of Moore?
(a) An high unsolved murder rate would be bad for the department's statistics.
(b) If Moore's death was ruled a suicide, his wife might not be allowed to collect his life insurance benefits.
(c) If Moore's death was ruled a murder, Irving could be implicated.
(d) If Moore was involved in any corrupt activities that led to his death, it could bring shame upon the police department.
3. Harry was not asked to be a part of the case, but he went to the suicide crime scene anyway to see what was happening. Upon arrival, he's suspicious. Why?
(a) He suspects the Assistant Chief committed the crime.
(b) The suicide note was faked.
(c) The victim is wearing boots that don't belong to him.
(d) Harry isn't sure what's wrong but he does not buy the evidence or the crime scene.
4. In the first chapter, Harry is thinking about an animal he is attempting to feed and has named "Timido." What kind of animal is it?
(a) A coyote.
(b) A squirrel.
(c) A chicken.
(d) His dog.
5. Why does Teresa feel compelled to say that the reason for Cal Moore's death was inconclusive?
(a) Moore's dental records did not match.
(b) The impact of the gunshot to his brain proved that he was shot from behind.
(c) Moore's fingerprints did not match the prints found on the gun.
(d) The autopsy results proved that there were multiple shooters.
6. Kerwin finally tells Harry what he wants to know about Dance, the drug dealer. What is it?
(a) That he is the mastermind behind the drug dealing gang.
(b) That he was a cop too.
(c) That Dance is a federal agent.
(d) That he probably went to Mexico shortly after Cal Moore died.
7. What does Harry find himself surprised to be thinking about as he makes love to Teresa?
(a) Cal Moore's wife, Sylvia.
(b) The coyote.
(c) His car.
(d) The case.
8. Harry spoke with Cal Moore before his death about a case. What does he discover after Moore's death from his colleagues?
(a) That Cal had not told Harry everything he knew.
(b) That Cal had planted evidence.
(c) That Cal wanted to leave his wife.
(d) That Cal had planned to quit the police force.
9. Upon viewing the body of Cal Moore, Harry makes an initial judgment about how he was killed. What is it that he thinks happened?
(a) Gas leak.
(c) An earthquake.
10. Teresa also finds fruit fly larvae in Juan Doe's stomach. What does she conclude about their presence?
(a) That Juan Doe was a fly breeder and likely had been living in Hawaii.
(b) That Juan Doe was a homeless person.
(c) That Juan Does was a part of a bug-eating cult.
(d) That Juan Doe was a fly breeder and likely had been living in Mexico.
11. Harry is asked to meet with his Lieutenant in his office. What is the nickname for his office?
(a) The bread box.
(b) The loafing room.
(c) The glass box.
(d) The hot box.
12. In Chapter 10, Bosch makes a mysterious phone call and reveals what he just learned about the autopsy results. Who is it most likely that he calls?
(a) A journalist.
(b) Moore's killer.
(c) Harry's attorney.
(d) The police chief.
13. What does Harry tell Rickard that he does not believe in Chapter 15?
(a) Cal Moore was an informant,
(b) That Cal Moore "crossed," meaning that he'd become corrupt.
(c) That Cal Moore was a secret agenct.
(d) That Cal Moore secretly hated Rickard.
14. Where in Mexicali are the flies dyed?
(a) A company called MedFly.
(b) A company called "EnviroBreed."
(c) At the Zorrillo's ranch.
(d) At the US Embassy.
15. Pounds asks Harry to visit his office for a reason in Chapter 5. What is it?
(a) To find out more about the Moore case.
(b) To ask him for his resignation.
(c) To promote him.
(d) To get Harry to solve a murder by the end of New Year's Eve.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, Harry thinks that Cal Moore answered a question that many people have. What is it?
2. Harry meets with Cal Moore's former co-workers. They pass something on to him that Cal Moore wanted him to have. What is it?
3. In Chapter 16, Harry suspects that Lieutenant Pounds is not a true devout Christian. Why does Harry think he pretends?
4. Where does Porter live?
5. Where does Harry look when he returns to his search for Porter in Chapter 12?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)