|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Harry so interested in finding out the cause of Cal Moore's death?
(a) Because Harry thinks Moore might be his brother.
(b) He is interested in solving any mystery.
(c) He thinks Moore is connected to a larger conspiracy in the police department.
(d) He is curious about the emotional baggage Moore carried with him.
2. Harry finds Hollywood depressing. Why?
(a) He has worked there a long time.
(b) He does not like prostitutes.
(c) He grew up there.
(d) His colleague was found dead there.
3. What does Moore's wife hint might have been reason her husband committed suicide?
(a) The sense of abandonment he felt when his father left him to live in Calexico.
(b) Drug and alcohol addiction.
(c) A worry that he could no longer solve murder cases.
(d) The threat of suspension from his job.
4. What odd thing does Teresa find in the Juan Doe's ears?
(b) Brown dust from wheat.
(c) Residue from heroin.
(d) Insect eggs.
5. Harry meets with Cal Moore's former co-workers. They pass something on to him that Cal Moore wanted him to have. What is it?
(a) A check.
(b) A watch.
(c) A case file.
(d) A suicide note.
6. What ethical concern does Harry have in reading the file Moore left for him?
(a) He realizes that the Robbery-Homicide division should see it too.
(b) Moore's notes were meant to be confidential.
(c) Attorney-client privilege might be jeopardized.
(d) Harry is concerned about witness safety.
7. Harry meets up with Rickard to re-interview the young drug dealer they arrested earlier. What does Rickard do that upsets Harry?
(a) He drives recklessly.
(b) He does not read the kid his rights.
(c) He's excited that the kid has been hurt while in jail. He thinks this will make him talk.
(d) He plants evidence on the kid.
8. Why is Harry more worried about spending New Year's Eve alone than Christmas?
(a) Because it is a night for jazz.
(b) Because he does not like Christmas.
(c) Because he wants someone to kiss at midnight.
(d) Because New Year's Eve is more fun.
9. What does Harry realize about Rickard as they process the arrest of the young drug dealer?
(a) That he does not like Harry.
(b) That he is sensitive to the needs of teens.
(c) That he enjoys intimidating the people he arrests.
(d) That he does not believe in drug laws.
10. When they meet up on stage in this novel the first time, what does Moore's wife accuse Harry of?
(a) Allowing TV reporters to tell her of her husband's death so Harry won't have to.
(b) Not caring enough about the murder.
(c) Quitting from her late husand's investigatory team.
(d) Taking bribes to avoid finding answers in the case.
11. Why didn't the other patrons leave the bar when Porter and Harry started to fight?
(a) If they left, there would be no place left to go and that scares them.
(b) Harry had blocked all of the exits.
(c) The other patrons felt like they were above the law.
(d) They were all police.
12. After talking to Kerwin, what does Harry decide to do in Chapter 16?
(a) Drop his pursuit of the case.
(b) Arrest Kerwin.
(c) Arrest Porter.
(d) Go to Mexico.
13. As Harry begins to review all of Porter's case, what does he decide to do?
(a) Separate out the cases he thinks he can solve quickly from those that will take time.
(b) Take a dinner break and come back to the cases later.
(c) Quit his job.
(d) Get Porter to come back to work and solve his own cases.
14. In Chapter 11, why does Harry decide he needs to talk to Porter next?
(a) Harry has a hunch.
(b) Porter called Harry and told him he knew what was up.
(c) His retirement indicated that he was corrupt.
(d) His pullout from the department is too coincidental.
15. Who does Bosch get a call from as he is looking for Porter?
(a) His lieutenant.
(b) His ex-wife.
(c) His daughter.
(d) One of the narcotics officers who worked with Cal Moore.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Bosch and Rickard decide to do with the young drug dealer after he is arrested?
2. What does Harry do to surprise Teresa at his house?
3. In Chapter 10, Bosch makes a mysterious phone call and reveals what he just learned about the autopsy results. Who is it most likely that he calls?
4. Why is Harry angry at Porter when he sees him in Chapter 12?
5. Why do Harry and Rickard threaten to arrest a kid they meet on the street?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)