|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first mode of double consciousness is particular to whom?
2. How did DuBois' birthplace affect his identity?
3. What do Jews and blacks fear from a discussion of the Holocaust and slavery?
4. Cornel West used DuBois' work as a solution to a crisis in what?
5. What feeling did DuBois see in the culture of diaspora blacks?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gilroy characterize the ontological state of slavery?
2. What, in Gilroy's account, was Richard Wright's thinking about racial identity?
3. What are the three modes of thinking, seeing and being which DuBois says are the basis of double consciousness?
4. What was Richard Wright's feeling about white culture?
5. In what way was capitalist culture a kind of crisis in itself, Wright?
6. What does Gilroy say is the black relation with time?
7. What was DuBois' relation with blackness?
8. Why, in Gilroy's opinion, is tradition useful in modern black culture?
9. What is the importance of the theme of love and loss in black popular arts, according to Gilroy?
10. Describe the pan-Africanism movement which Richard Wright was part of.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the proposition that race has been superseded by the more modern experience, shared across races, of power and powerlessness in terms of capital and labor. Which is to say that powerless poor people have more in common than people of the same race but different classes.
Essay Topic 2
Gilroy celebrates black music for its ability to avoid the monotone discourse that takes place in other parts of black culture. How does Gilroy himself preserve the sound of other voices and perspectives throughout his book?
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between race and nationality according to Gilroy? What was it originally and what has it become? How has it changed over time? What changed it?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)