|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term did James Weldon Johnson use for blacks in The Autobiography of An Ex-Coloured Man?
2. What does Gilroy say DuBois often reminded blacks?
3. What does Gilroy say was a formative influence on black culture in Richard Wright's works?
4. When was the journal 'Presence Africaine' published?
5. What does Gilroy say we should discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. What distinction does Gilroy say Richard Wright holds?
2. What does Gilroy say DuBois reminded blacks?
3. What was James Weldon Johnson's contribution to Gilroy's book?
4. What relation does Gilroy draw between the black Atlantic and the Holocaust?
5. What is the relationship between black and Jewish cultures, as Gilroy defines it?
6. What view of the black Atlantic does Paul Gilroy leave us with at the end of the book?
7. What was Richard Wright's feeling about white culture?
8. Describe the role of the concept of tradition in the black Atlantic.
9. What is the importance of the theme of love and loss in black popular arts, according to Gilroy?
10. How does Gilroy characterize the ontological state of slavery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an evaluative review of The Black Atlantic. What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 2
What are we, the readers, supposed to do as a result of reading Paul Gilroy's The Black Atlantic? Does Gilroy propose plans of action, or is he merely informing us? How political is the act of reading The Black Atlantic?
Essay Topic 3
How do you think Gilroy would say that black experience in the black Atlantic differs from the Irish or the Catholics in America who are trying to keep a particular ethnic identity alive in a homogenizing culture that turns everyone into Americans insofar as they relinquish their ethnicity?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)