|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gilroy characterize identity?
2. What does Gilroy say modern racial concepts do too much of?
3. Whose consciousness is Black Atlantic focused on?
4. What idea permeates slave consciousness, according to Gilroy?
5. When was Martin Robison Delany born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What group does Gilroy say his book focuses on?
2. How does Gilroy describe the black experience in England?
3. How does Gilroy define the hermeneutics of the black Atlantic?
4. Where does Gilroy say we should look in order to see the reality of black experience?
5. What role should slavery play in the history of Western culture in Gilroy's opinion?
6. How does the uniqueness of the black Atlantic experience affect views of race according to Gilroy?
7. What is the master-slave dialectic?
8. What is the problem with a black identity rooted in skin color for Gilroy?
9. What does Gilroy say British audiences expected from Jimi Hendrix?
10. What are the two perspectives around which black artistic debate is centered, according to Gilroy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Paul Gilroy use contradictions or paradoxes to define the black Atlantic? Citing examples from the text and from the texts he cites, make an argument about whether the cultural forms and trends Gilroy describes are meant to be reconciled, or whether they are meant to persist in pregnant opposition.
Essay Topic 2
Write an evaluative review of The Black Atlantic. What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between race and nationality according to Gilroy? What was it originally and what has it become? How has it changed over time? What changed it?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)