|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gilroy say about music's status in culture?
2. What does the concept of the Black Atlantic do to old notions of race, according to Gilroy?
3. How does Gilroy characterize the residual feelings from slavery?
4. What relation does Gilroy describe as fundamental to the black experience?
5. Whose point of view does Gilroy want to include in history?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gilroy describe the black experience in England?
2. Where does Gilroy say we should look in order to see the reality of black experience?
3. What role should slavery play in the history of Western culture in Gilroy's opinion?
4. What can music accomplish as Gilroy describes it?
5. What critique does Gilroy make of the concepts that governed race and ethnicity when he wrote The Black Atlantic?
6. What value does Gilroy say the language of ethnic opposition has for those who use it?
7. What is double consciousness?
8. What role did music play in slaves' lives according to Gilroy?
9. How does the language of sexuality distract people from their racial identity in Gilroy's account?
10. What does Gilroy say British audiences expected from Jimi Hendrix?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gilroy celebrates black music for its ability to avoid the monotone discourse that takes place in other parts of black culture. How does Gilroy himself preserve the sound of other voices and perspectives throughout his book?
Essay Topic 2
Where does black cultural legitimacy come from? The academy or the ghetto? Africa or America? Where does Gilroy claim his legitimacy comes from? How does he counter claims that would challenge his legitimacy?
Essay Topic 3
Who are Gilroy's opponents, and what are their views? How is Gilroy's book a form of resistance to their ideas? What are the stakes these intellectuals are contesting, and how do they hope to win them?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)