|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gilroy say modern racial concepts do too much of?
2. What relation does Gilroy say Western culture has with black politics?
3. What does Gilroy say master-race intellectuals often do to race?
4. What cultural work does Gilroy say music has performed?
5. How does Gilroy characterize the consciousness of the slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has music done for black culture in Gilroy's account?
2. How does Gilroy define the hermeneutics of the black Atlantic?
3. What role did music play in slaves' lives according to Gilroy?
4. Why is Martin Robison Delany important to Gilroy?
5. What is the problem with a black identity rooted in skin color for Gilroy?
6. How does Gilroy define the consciousness of the slave?
7. What symbol does Gilroy use to symbolize the black Atlantic?
8. What is the Fisk University Jubilee Singers' contribution to Gilroy's book?
9. How does the language of sexuality distract people from their racial identity in Gilroy's account?
10. What is the master-slave dialectic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between race and nationality according to Gilroy? What was it originally and what has it become? How has it changed over time? What changed it?
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)