|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Gilroy say sometimes dominates the language of racial emancipation in black music?
2. What critique does black consciousness make of modernity?
3. What does Gilroy say modern thinkers focus on in describing modernity?
4. What does this image symbolize for Gilroy?
5. What was Martin Robison Delany searching for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the language of sexuality distract people from their racial identity in Gilroy's account?
2. What has music done for black culture in Gilroy's account?
3. How does Gilroy define the hermeneutics of the black Atlantic?
4. What role did music play in slaves' lives according to Gilroy?
5. What value does Gilroy say the language of ethnic opposition has for those who use it?
6. How does Gilroy describe the modern self and how does this affect our narratives of history?
7. What is the Fisk University Jubilee Singers' contribution to Gilroy's book?
8. What view does Gilroy say we should take of black experiences?
9. What is the problem with a black identity rooted in skin color for Gilroy?
10. What symbol does Gilroy use to symbolize the black Atlantic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between race and nationality according to Gilroy? What was it originally and what has it become? How has it changed over time? What changed it?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of The Black Atlantic Paul Gilroy describes the challenges facing Western culture in the future. How is race related to these challenges, and do you think that this broadening of scope is a fitting gesture to close on? Does it cement Gilroy's narrative, or does it step aside from it?
Essay Topic 3
Gilroy uses writers more than anyone else for his evidence of cultural trends regarding race. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using literature for cultural analysis? What does it exclude? What does it capture that couldn't be captured anywhere else?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)