|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What idea does Gilroy see at work in DuBois' novel Dark Princess?
(b) Racial heterogeneity.
2. What does Gilroy say gave Richard Wright his authenticity?
(a) His birth in Chicago.
(b) His political activities.
(c) His travels to Africa.
(d) His origins in Mississippi.
3. What does Gilroy say DuBois often reminded blacks?
(a) That slavery was a finite stage in the development of the world consciousness.
(b) That slavery was the worst thing people could suffer.
(c) That slavery was worse than cultural collapse.
(d) That slavery was not the worst form of domination.
4. What is the effect of turning toward tradition in Gilroy's account?
(a) Slavery comes into focus as a foundational catastrophe.
(b) Slavery becomes a cultural asset.
(c) Slavery becomes more remote.
(d) Slavery gets repossessed.
5. What does Gilroy say we should accept as inescapable?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was private violence connected to in Richard Wright's account?
2. What does Gilroy say is the only way to deal with the history of slavery?
3. Why should blacks openly recognize the debt of their cultural language?
4. How does Gilroy say that Richard Wright saw capitalism?
5. What does Gilroy say the Holocaust should help us see?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Wright criticized for his characterizations, according to Gilroy?
2. What was Richard Wright's feeling about white culture?
3. Why do Jews and blacks both resist the comparison of slavery and the Holocaust, as Gilroy describes it?
4. What are the three modes of thinking, seeing and being which DuBois says are the basis of double consciousness?
5. What does Gilroy say is the black relation with time?
6. How does Gilroy say DuBois described black music?
7. What idea was undermined, in Richard Wright's mind, by the violence of modern American culture?
8. What does Gilroy say politics did for black culture?
9. What was James Weldon Johnson's contribution to Gilroy's book?
10. What tension did politics create in black culture?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)