|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What idea does Gilroy see at work in DuBois' novel Dark Princess?
(d) Racial heterogeneity.
2. How does Gilroy characterize the mood of the black Atlantic?
3. What does Gilroy associate racial traditions with?
(a) Syncretic modernity.
(c) International modernism.
4. What feeling did DuBois see in the culture of diaspora blacks?
(a) Resentment of progress.
(b) Ambivalence about modernity.
(c) Anger for being taken into exile.
(d) Longing for the apocalypse.
5. What does Gilroy say slavery was sanctified by?
(a) Cultural superiority.
(b) God and reason.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gilroy say slavery tried to do to tradition?
2. What did the struggle for black autonomy involve, for DuBois?
3. What term did James Weldon Johnson use for blacks in The Autobiography of An Ex-Coloured Man?
4. What does music represent, according to Gilroy?
5. What is the role of slavery in the black idea of tradition?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gilroy characterize the ontological state of slavery?
2. What does Gilroy say is the black relation with time?
3. In what way was capitalist culture a kind of crisis in itself, Wright?
4. How does Gilroy say the discussion he has had in 'Black Atlantic' is likely to help in the twenty-first century, when Western culture faces challenges over resources and sustainability?
5. What was James Weldon Johnson's contribution to Gilroy's book?
6. What origin legitimized Richard Wright in readers' eyes?
7. What is the importance of the theme of love and loss in black popular arts, according to Gilroy?
8. What did DuBois conclude from his observations of black culture?
9. Describe the role of the concept of tradition in the black Atlantic.
10. What is the relationship between black and Jewish cultures, as Gilroy defines it?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)