|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gilroy say is the core of Afro-Atlantic culture?
(a) Terror at industrial culture.
(b) The pain of slavery.
(c) Sadness over the inhumanity of modernity.
(d) Sorrow for the loss of the earth as a source of culture.
2. How does Gilroy characterize identity?
(a) As an essence that can be revealed by returning to roots.
(b) As an accomplishment that changes over time.
(c) As a mask that is assumed for its benefits.
(d) As the context that demands explanations and a sense of self.
3. How does Gilroy describe slavery's relation to western civilization?
(a) A key part.
(b) A shameful secret.
(c) An untold story.
(d) A footnote.
4. When was Martin Robison Delany born?
5. What did black music help to form in Britain as Gilroy describes it?
(a) A collective identity.
(b) Class consciousness.
(c) Resistance to industrialism.
(d) Political power.
Short Answer Questions
1. What image did English fans have of what a black performer should be like?
2. What does Gilroy say led to Jimi Hendrix's triumph in the U.S.?
3. How does Gilroy say the Black Atlantic should be understood?
4. When did the majority of the British black population emigrate according to Gilroy?
5. What do black artists sometimes focus on, to their detriment, according to Gilroy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Gilroy say we should look in order to see the reality of black experience?
2. How does Gilroy propose the concept of the black Atlantic should be used?
3. What does Gilroy use as opposition to the essential blackness some critics advocate?
4. What view does Gilroy say we should take of black experiences?
5. How does Gilroy describe the black experience in England?
6. What critique does Gilroy make of the concepts that governed race and ethnicity when he wrote The Black Atlantic?
7. Why is it odd, in Gilroy's opinion, that debates over modernity have ignored music?
8. What does Gilroy say British audiences expected from Jimi Hendrix?
9. What has music done for black culture in Gilroy's account?
10. What does Gilroy say most theorists of modernity focus on?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)