|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the counterpart to the hermeneutics of memory according to Gilroy?
(a) A hermeneutics of salvation.
(b) A hermeneutics of suspicion.
(c) A hermeneutics of liberty.
(d) A hermeneutics of self-reliance.
2. How does Gilroy characterize modern subjectivity?
3. What does Gilroy say about the Enlightenment notion of universality?
(a) It is still the most accurate model of modern culture.
(b) It is no longer applicable in a transnational global culture.
(c) It was been perfected in the late twentieth century.
(d) It is now confused.
4. How does Gilroy characterize the slaves' literacy?
(a) He says that they were denied literacy on pain of death.
(b) He says that some slaves could read and write, but only under supervision.
(c) He says that slave music relied on primitive literary forms.
(d) He says that literacy was inconsistent in the slave world.
5. How does Gilroy say racial roots should be understood?
(a) As a hidden history.
(b) As a process of movement and mediation.
(c) As a source of power.
(d) As ancient essences.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gilroy characterize postmodernity?
2. What has race been left out of, in Gilroy's opinion?
3. What function does the first chapter serve?
4. Whose challenges does Gilroy take up in the first section of the chapter?
5. What does Gilroy say black diaspora styles of music typically emphasize?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gilroy describe the black experience in England?
2. What does Gilroy use as opposition to the essential blackness some critics advocate?
3. What critique does Gilroy make of the concepts that governed race and ethnicity when he wrote The Black Atlantic?
4. What group does Gilroy say his book focuses on?
5. How does Gilroy propose the concept of the black Atlantic should be used?
6. What does the search for black roots indicate to Gilroy?
7. What role should slavery play in the history of Western culture in Gilroy's opinion?
8. What does Gilroy say most theorists of modernity focus on?
9. Where does Gilroy say we should look in order to see the reality of black experience?
10. How does the uniqueness of the black Atlantic experience affect views of race according to Gilroy?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)