|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Not a Story to Pass On, Living Memory and the Slave Sublime.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said that slavery is at the natal core of modernity?
(b) W. E. B. DuBois.
2. What are yearning and mourning associated with in black culture according to Gilroy?
(a) Anomie and world-weariness.
(b) Revenge and nostalgia for home.
(c) Disorientation and displacement.
(d) Exile and terror.
3. What is the last period of black history, according to DuBois, in The Souls of Black Folk?
(a) Political autonomy.
(b) Black self-reliance.
(c) Returning to Africa.
(d) Black music.
4. When did Richard Wright believe the western consciousness began to break down according to Gilroy?
(a) With the beginning of slavery.
(b) When religious understanding of the world collapsed.
(c) With the development of technology.
(d) With the beginning of the Renaissance.
5. What does Gilroy say slavery tried to do to tradition?
(a) Rewrite it.
(b) Co-opt it.
(c) Erase it.
(d) Compete with it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gilroy characterize the slaves' literacy?
2. What was private violence connected to in Richard Wright's account?
3. What does Gilroy say blacks search for in spite of the fragmentation of musical genres and traditions?
4. Whose consciousness is Black Atlantic focused on?
5. How does Gilroy characterize the notion of racial purity?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)