|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Not a Story to Pass On, Living Memory and the Slave Sublime.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gilroy say that Richard Wright saw capitalism?
(a) As a messianic religion.
(b) As a destructive war.
(c) As a great liberator.
(d) As a form of liberation theology.
2. What kinds of stories does Gilroy say dominate black popular culture?
(a) Suffering and revenge.
(b) Justice and its consequences.
(c) Love and loss.
(d) Freedom and its costs.
3. What function does the first chapter serve?
(a) Historical perspective.
(b) Conceptual background.
(c) Humorous analogy.
(d) Anecdotal introduction.
4. When was Martin Robison Delany born?
5. What was Martin Robison Delany vocally critical of, as Gilroy tells it?
(a) The Fugitive Slave Law.
(b) The methods of narrating black history.
(c) The Liberian movement in American abolitionism.
(d) The abolition movement.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who first defined the notion of the master-slave dialectic?
2. Whose challenges does Gilroy take up in the first section of the chapter?
3. What was Martin Robison Delany searching for?
4. The first mode of double consciousness is particular to whom?
5. What idea does Gilroy see at work in DuBois' novel Dark Princess?
This section contains 194 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)