|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Without the Consolation of Tears, Richard Wright, France and the Ambivalence of Community.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first period of black history, according to DuBois in The Souls of Black Folk?
(a) Surviving the leap to modernism.
(b) Liberation from slavery.
(c) Exile from home.
(d) Acceptance of slavery.
2. What does Gilroy say modern thinkers focus on in describing modernity?
(a) Racial suffering.
(b) Economic prosperity.
(c) Technological changes.
(d) Medical developments.
3. What image did English fans have of what a black performer should be like?
(a) Wild, sexual, unrestrained.
(b) Intellectual, hip, wise.
(c) Cool, aloof, suave.
(d) Savage, illiterate, brutal.
4. What contradiction did Martin Robison Delany NOT embody in his beliefs, according to Gilroy?
(a) Nationalist and internationalist beliefs.
(b) Abolitionist and pro-slavery convictions.
(c) Pro- and anti-Africa feelings.
(d) Radical and conservative nationalism.
5. How does Gilroy characterize the slaves' literacy?
(a) He says that literacy was inconsistent in the slave world.
(b) He says that some slaves could read and write, but only under supervision.
(c) He says that slave music relied on primitive literary forms.
(d) He says that they were denied literacy on pain of death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gilroy say blacks used to unify themselves?
2. What heresy did Richard Wright commit, in Gilroy's account?
3. What does music allow black culture to do with this feeling?
4. How does Gilroy characterize the residual feelings from slavery?
5. What reason does Gilroy use for justifying this characterization of the notion of racial purity?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)