|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Cheer the Weary Traveller, W.E.B. Du Bois, Germany and the Politics of (Dis)placement.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gilroy say about music's status in culture?
(a) It should be used as a political tool.
(b) It should be higher.
(c) It should be recognized as a form of communication.
(d) It should be appreciated as an art form.
2. How does Gilroy characterize modern subjectivity?
3. What are the two parts of the double consciousness Gilroy describes?
(a) Politics of fulfillment and politics of transformation.
(b) Primitive culture and modern culture.
(c) Self-aware intellect and blind impulses and urges.
(d) Politics of subordination and politics of emancipation.
4. What reason does Gilroy use for justifying this characterization of the notion of racial purity?
(a) It fuels a false sense of cultural identity.
(b) It gives individuals too much freedom.
(c) It obscures realities.
(d) It lumps dissimilar people together.
5. What does Gilroy say people become after witnessing black music?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did DuBois say was a central feature of slave culture?
2. What term did James Weldon Johnson use for blacks in The Autobiography of An Ex-Coloured Man?
3. What role has music played in debates of modernity according to Gilroy?
4. What does music represent, according to Gilroy?
5. How does Gilroy say we should look at the history of race in the West?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)