|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Jewels Brought from Bondage, Black Music and the Politics of Authenticity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What idea permeates slave consciousness, according to Gilroy?
(a) Freedom from history.
(c) Revolutionary apocalypse.
(d) Salvation theology.
2. How does Gilroy characterize the modern self?
3. What does Gilroy say modern thinkers focus on in describing modernity?
(a) Economic prosperity.
(b) Technological changes.
(c) Medical developments.
(d) Racial suffering.
4. What has race been left out of, in Gilroy's opinion?
(a) Modern visions of socialism.
(b) Utopian visions.
(c) The idea of capitalism.
(d) The idea of modernity.
5. What does Gilroy say blacks search for in spite of the fragmentation of musical genres and traditions?
(a) Tools for assimilating.
(b) African roots.
(c) More innovative musical forms.
(d) Core blackness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the concept of the Black Atlantic do to old notions of race, according to Gilroy?
2. Why does Gilroy say that it is odd that music held this role?
3. How does Gilroy suggest we think about the history of slavery?
4. What did black music help to form in Britain as Gilroy describes it?
5. Whose consciousness is Black Atlantic focused on?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)