|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Jewels Brought from Bondage, Black Music and the Politics of Authenticity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What relation does Gilroy say Western culture has with black politics?
2. What do black artists sometimes focus on, to their detriment, according to Gilroy?
(a) Intellectual demonstrations of power.
(b) Political power.
(c) Exaggerated masculinity.
3. What does Gilroy say black diaspora styles of music typically emphasize?
4. How does Gilroy characterize the consciousness of the slave?
(a) An act of hostility.
(b) A process of liberation.
(c) An act of mourning.
(d) An internalized history.
5. What does Gilroy say modern thinkers focus on in describing modernity?
(a) Economic prosperity.
(b) Medical developments.
(c) Racial suffering.
(d) Technological changes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose point of view does Gilroy want to include in history?
2. What is the notion of the black Atlantic opposed to as Gilroy defines it?
3. What kind of relation did Martin Robison Delany foresee between English capital, black American intellect and African labor?
4. What does Gilroy say the language of ethnic opposition typically does?
5. What did music create in Gilroy's opinion?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)