|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Jewels Brought from Bondage, Black Music and the Politics of Authenticity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Martin Robison Delany vocally critical of, as Gilroy tells it?
(a) The Fugitive Slave Law.
(b) The methods of narrating black history.
(c) The Liberian movement in American abolitionism.
(d) The abolition movement.
2. What role has music played in debates of modernity according to Gilroy?
(a) It has been ignored.
(b) It has been dismissed as a popular form of commerce.
(c) It has been central to definitions of modernity.
(d) It has defined the counter-culture.
3. Whose narrative does Gilroy say rests upon the narrative of the black Atlantic?
(a) The liberated woman's.
(b) The white European's.
(c) The factory owners'.
(d) The modern workers'.
4. What does Gilroy say black diaspora styles of music typically emphasize?
5. When was Martin Robison Delany born?
Short Answer Questions
1. What limitations are ideas of race experiencing in Gilroy's opinion?
2. Who was Martin Robison Delany?
3. How does Gilroy characterize the residual feelings from slavery?
4. How does Gilroy characterize the notion of racial purity?
5. What does the concept of the Black Atlantic do to old notions of race, according to Gilroy?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)