|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Jewels Brought from Bondage, Black Music and the Politics of Authenticity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gilroy characterize the residual feelings from slavery?
(a) Sublime and unfathomable.
(b) A source of modern ritual.
(c) Unspeakable but not inexpressible.
2. What does Gilroy say about the Enlightenment notion of universality?
(a) It is still the most accurate model of modern culture.
(b) It is no longer applicable in a transnational global culture.
(c) It is now confused.
(d) It was been perfected in the late twentieth century.
3. How does Gilroy describe slavery's relation to western civilization?
(a) A footnote.
(b) An untold story.
(c) A shameful secret.
(d) A key part.
4. How does Gilroy characterize the modern self?
5. What does Gilroy say black diaspora styles of music typically emphasize?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of relation did Martin Robison Delany foresee between English capital, black American intellect and African labor?
2. What critique does black consciousness make of modernity?
3. What does the black person's perpetual searching indicate to Gilroy?
4. What function does the first chapter serve?
5. When was Martin Robison Delany born?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)