|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Jewels Brought from Bondage, Black Music and the Politics of Authenticity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role has music played in debates of modernity according to Gilroy?
(a) It has been dismissed as a popular form of commerce.
(b) It has been ignored.
(c) It has been central to definitions of modernity.
(d) It has defined the counter-culture.
2. When did the majority of the British black population emigrate according to Gilroy?
(a) After World War II.
(b) After the Great War.
(c) After the American Civil War.
(d) After the American Revolution.
3. What kind of history did Frederick Douglass propose according to Gilroy?
(a) A history of pre-slavery Africa.
(b) A history of race relations.
(c) A history of pre-contact North America.
(d) A history of blacks in the new world.
4. What contradiction did Martin Robison Delany NOT embody in his beliefs, according to Gilroy?
(a) Pro- and anti-Africa feelings.
(b) Abolitionist and pro-slavery convictions.
(c) Nationalist and internationalist beliefs.
(d) Radical and conservative nationalism.
5. Who first defined the notion of the master-slave dialectic?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gilroy describe slavery's relation to western civilization?
2. What has been superseded by economic, social and cultural forces, according to Gilroy?
3. What does Gilroy say black diaspora styles of music typically emphasize?
4. What idea permeates slave consciousness, according to Gilroy?
5. What do black artists sometimes focus on, to their detriment, according to Gilroy?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)