|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Jewels Brought from Bondage, Black Music and the Politics of Authenticity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of social relations does music create according to Gilroy?
2. What concept has captured leftist thinkers in the academy according to Gilroy?
(a) Ethnic absolutism.
(b) Cultural relativism.
(c) American essentialism.
3. How does Gilroy characterize the slaves' literacy?
(a) He says that they were denied literacy on pain of death.
(b) He says that some slaves could read and write, but only under supervision.
(c) He says that literacy was inconsistent in the slave world.
(d) He says that slave music relied on primitive literary forms.
4. What does the concept of the Black Atlantic do to old notions of race, according to Gilroy?
(a) Challenges them.
(b) Confirms them.
(c) Revises them.
(d) Explodes them.
5. What does Gilroy say black diaspora styles of music typically emphasize?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the effect of collaboration according to Gilroy?
2. When was Martin Robison Delany born?
3. How does Gilroy describe slavery's relation to western civilization?
4. What does Gilroy say blacks search for in spite of the fragmentation of musical genres and traditions?
5. What reason does Gilroy use for justifying this characterization of the notion of racial purity?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)