|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Without the Consolation of Tears, Richard Wright, France and the Ambivalence of Community.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gilroy say the language of ethnic opposition typically does?
(a) Accommodates numerous racial experiences.
(b) Obscures racial differences.
(c) Empowers oppressed minorities.
(d) Provides a false sense of power and identity.
2. How does Gilroy describe Afro-Atlantic culture's place in Western culture?
3. How does Gilroy defend Richard Wright against charges of sexism?
(a) By describing the role of women in Wright's life.
(b) By saying that Wright's main characters are often sympathetic with women.
(c) By arguing that Wright was insightful into the sexist nature of black experience.
(d) By analyzing female characters in Wright's minor novels.
4. What are the two parts of the double consciousness Gilroy describes?
(a) Politics of subordination and politics of emancipation.
(b) Self-aware intellect and blind impulses and urges.
(c) Primitive culture and modern culture.
(d) Politics of fulfillment and politics of transformation.
5. What feeling did DuBois see in the culture of diaspora blacks?
(a) Longing for the apocalypse.
(b) Anger for being taken into exile.
(c) Resentment of progress.
(d) Ambivalence about modernity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gilroy say led to Jimi Hendrix's triumph in the U.S.?
2. How does Gilroy characterize the pluralistic camp in black artistic circles?
3. How was Richard Wright received, according to Gilroy?
4. What term did James Weldon Johnson use for blacks in The Autobiography of An Ex-Coloured Man?
5. What ideology was Richard Wright ambivalent to according to Gilroy?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)