|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Without the Consolation of Tears, Richard Wright, France and the Ambivalence of Community.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did DuBois believe in that Richard Wright did not believe in according to Gilroy?
(a) Returning to black roots.
(b) Social perfection.
(c) Essential blackness.
2. What role has music played in debates of modernity according to Gilroy?
(a) It has been central to definitions of modernity.
(b) It has been dismissed as a popular form of commerce.
(c) It has been ignored.
(d) It has defined the counter-culture.
3. What kind of social relations does music create according to Gilroy?
4. What movement is Richard Wright associated with?
(a) Muslim militarism.
(c) Black pacifism.
(d) Black power.
5. How does Gilroy say slaves used music?
(a) To preserve their ancient culture.
(b) To express their pain.
(c) To invoke their racial memories.
(d) To communicate with each other over distances.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of relation did Martin Robison Delany foresee between English capital, black American intellect and African labor?
2. How does Gilroy defend Richard Wright against charges of sexism?
3. What did DuBois say was a central feature of slave culture?
4. Who first defined the notion of the master-slave dialectic?
5. What criticism does Gilroy make of modern racial and ethnic concepts?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)