|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Without the Consolation of Tears, Richard Wright, France and the Ambivalence of Community.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first period of black history, according to DuBois in The Souls of Black Folk?
(a) Liberation from slavery.
(b) Exile from home.
(c) Surviving the leap to modernism.
(d) Acceptance of slavery.
2. How does Gilroy say that Richard Wright saw capitalism?
(a) As a destructive war.
(b) As a messianic religion.
(c) As a form of liberation theology.
(d) As a great liberator.
3. What was Martin Robison Delany vocally critical of, as Gilroy tells it?
(a) The Fugitive Slave Law.
(b) The Liberian movement in American abolitionism.
(c) The abolition movement.
(d) The methods of narrating black history.
4. What does the concept of the Black Atlantic do to old notions of race, according to Gilroy?
(a) Challenges them.
(b) Explodes them.
(c) Revises them.
(d) Confirms them.
5. What did music create in Gilroy's opinion?
(a) A priestly caste of lay intellectuals.
(b) New forms of art in white culture.
(c) Contention between factions of black intellectuals.
(d) A tradition of minstrelsy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gilroy characterize the slaves' literacy?
2. What were Richard Wright's politics?
3. What does Gilroy say modern racial concepts do too much of?
4. What did Richard Wright say was the core of modernization?
5. What kind of relation did Martin Robison Delany foresee between English capital, black American intellect and African labor?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)