|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Without the Consolation of Tears, Richard Wright, France and the Ambivalence of Community.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did DuBois experience himself as a Negro for the first time?
(a) In early childhood.
(b) When he bought another man's freedom.
(c) Listening to the Fisk University Jubilee Singers.
(d) When he asked to vote.
2. How did DuBois' birthplace affect his identity?
(a) He felt like a spokesman for his race because he was born among them in the south.
(b) He felt aloof from American race politics because he was born in England.
(c) He felt inauthentically black because he was not born in the south.
(d) He felt genuinely black because he was born in Africa.
3. What did DuBois believe in that Richard Wright did not believe in according to Gilroy?
(a) Essential blackness.
(b) Social perfection.
(d) Returning to black roots.
4. What term did James Weldon Johnson use for blacks in The Autobiography of An Ex-Coloured Man?
(b) 'King of the kingdom of culture'.
(d) 'Dual personality'.
5. Under what light does this claim cease to hold up, in Gilroy's opinion?
(a) In light of radical Islam's hostility.
(b) In light of the West's nationalist movements.
(c) In light of the West's relations with poorer nations.
(d) In light of the discontent of industrial workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gilroy say modern racial concepts do too much of?
2. What does music do to the genteel image many moderns have of themselves according to Gilroy?
3. Which factor did NOT divide black subjectivity according to Gilroy's account of Richard Wright's thought?
4. What did DuBois say was a central feature of slave culture?
5. How does Gilroy characterize postmodernity?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)