|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Masters, Mistresses, Slaves and the Antinomies of Modernity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gilroy characterize defenders of modernity's attitude toward the African diaspora?
(a) Excessively interested.
(b) Casually interested.
(d) Primarily interested.
2. How does Gilroy characterize the notion of racial purity?
(b) Clearly absurd.
3. How does Gilroy describe slavery's relation to western civilization?
(a) An untold story.
(b) A key part.
(c) A shameful secret.
(d) A footnote.
4. What has race been left out of, in Gilroy's opinion?
(a) The idea of modernity.
(b) Utopian visions.
(c) The idea of capitalism.
(d) Modern visions of socialism.
5. When was Martin Robison Delany born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who first defined the notion of the master-slave dialectic?
2. What idea permeates slave consciousness, according to Gilroy?
3. What does Gilroy say the language of ethnic opposition typically does?
4. What does Gilroy say modern racial concepts do too much of?
5. What does Gilroy say is the fact of racial life?
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)