|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Masters, Mistresses, Slaves and the Antinomies of Modernity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Martin Robison Delany born?
2. How does Gilroy describe slavery's relation to western civilization?
(a) A shameful secret.
(b) An untold story.
(c) A footnote.
(d) A key part.
3. Whose narrative does Gilroy say rests upon the narrative of the black Atlantic?
(a) The factory owners'.
(b) The white European's.
(c) The liberated woman's.
(d) The modern workers'.
4. What literary form does Gilroy say gave blacks access to self-creation?
5. Whose consciousness is Black Atlantic focused on?
(a) Indigenous people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of history did Frederick Douglass propose according to Gilroy?
2. What does Gilroy say modern racial concepts do too much of?
3. What does Gilroy say master-race intellectuals often do to race?
4. How does Gilroy characterize identity?
5. How does Gilroy characterize postmodernity?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)