|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Without the Consolation of Tears, Richard Wright, France and the Ambivalence of Community.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gilroy say is the result of racial identity?
(a) Limitation to historical self-awareness.
(b) Internalization of an oppressed mindset.
(c) Transcendent consciousness.
(d) Fragmentation of the global consciousness.
2. How does Gilroy characterize the exceptionalist camp in black artistic circles?
3. How does Gilroy characterize modern subjectivity?
4. What does Gilroy say was a formative influence on black culture in Richard Wright's works?
(b) Common privation.
5. What has race been left out of, in Gilroy's opinion?
(a) Modern visions of socialism.
(b) The idea of modernity.
(c) The idea of capitalism.
(d) Utopian visions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gilroy say black diaspora styles of music typically emphasize?
2. What were Richard Wright's politics?
3. What does Gilroy say blacks search for in spite of the fragmentation of musical genres and traditions?
4. What cultural work does Gilroy say music has performed?
5. What does Gilroy say is the core of Afro-Atlantic culture?
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)