|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Without the Consolation of Tears, Richard Wright, France and the Ambivalence of Community.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who were the Fisk University Jubilee Singers' predecessors?
(a) African drummers.
(b) Abolition singers.
(c) Southern blues singers.
(d) Appalachian spiritualists.
2. What idea permeates slave consciousness, according to Gilroy?
(a) Salvation theology.
(b) Freedom from history.
(c) Revolutionary apocalypse.
3. When did Richard Wright believe the western consciousness began to break down according to Gilroy?
(a) With the beginning of slavery.
(b) With the development of technology.
(c) When religious understanding of the world collapsed.
(d) With the beginning of the Renaissance.
4. What conflict was taking up too much space in the discussion of race in American literature according to Richard Wright?
(a) The conflict between men and women.
(b) The conflict between young and old.
(c) The conflict between owners and workers.
(d) The conflict between man and technology.
5. How does Gilroy characterize the consciousness of the slave?
(a) A process of liberation.
(b) An internalized history.
(c) An act of hostility.
(d) An act of mourning.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gilroy say Richard Wright's profundity came from?
2. What were Richard Wright's politics?
3. What is the common memory for British blacks in Gilroy's opinion?
4. What critique does black consciousness make of modernity?
5. Why has the analysis of Wright's work been impoverished according to Gilroy?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)