|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Without the Consolation of Tears, Richard Wright, France and the Ambivalence of Community.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who first defined the notion of the master-slave dialectic?
2. When did Richard Wright believe the western consciousness began to break down according to Gilroy?
(a) With the development of technology.
(b) With the beginning of the Renaissance.
(c) With the beginning of slavery.
(d) When religious understanding of the world collapsed.
3. Why has the analysis of Wright's work been impoverished according to Gilroy?
(a) Because Wright was so ambivalent in his writing.
(b) Because he was pigeon-holed as a sexist.
(c) Because he moved away from the U.S.
(d) Because he has been misinterpreted.
4. What relation does Gilroy say Western culture has with black politics?
5. When did the majority of the British black population emigrate according to Gilroy?
(a) After the American Revolution.
(b) After the American Civil War.
(c) After the Great War.
(d) After World War II.
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary form does Gilroy say gave blacks access to self-creation?
2. How does Gilroy say slaves used music?
3. What does Gilroy say postmodernism claims for itself?
4. What was private violence connected to in Richard Wright's account?
5. How was Richard Wright received, according to Gilroy?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)