|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Without the Consolation of Tears, Richard Wright, France and the Ambivalence of Community.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What idea does Gilroy say black consciousness forces us to revise?
(a) The idea of equality between workers, men and women, and the races.
(b) The idea of the cultural center and the periphery.
(c) The idea of inalienable rights.
(d) The idea that capitalism brings progress wherever it goes.
2. What did black music help to form in Britain as Gilroy describes it?
(a) Political power.
(b) Resistance to industrialism.
(c) A collective identity.
(d) Class consciousness.
3. What literary form does Gilroy say gave blacks access to self-creation?
4. What distinction does Gilroy say Richard Wright was the first black writer to achieve?
(a) Bestseller status in the U.S.
(b) Bestseller status in Europe.
(c) The Pullitzer Price for fiction.
(d) Recognition by the international literary establishment.
5. What does Gilroy say gave Richard Wright his authenticity?
(a) His birth in Chicago.
(b) His origins in Mississippi.
(c) His political activities.
(d) His travels to Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role has music played in debates of modernity according to Gilroy?
2. What phrase did Richard Wright use for the Negro?
3. How does Gilroy characterize the residual feelings from slavery?
4. Under what light does this claim cease to hold up, in Gilroy's opinion?
5. When did the majority of the British black population emigrate according to Gilroy?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)