|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is more valuable now than it was before the storm?
2. What food does Kino's mother prepare for him because he is cold?
3. What does Kino's father think about the calm sea and the shining sun?
4. Who is the author of THE BIG WAVE?
5. According to Kino's father, who makes the evil storms?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Kino live?
2. What is Kino's father's response when Kino says he doesn't think that Jiya can ever be happy again?
3. How does Jiya feel when his new family encourages him to sit at the table and eat with them?
4. What does Jiya do when he sees the devastation of the big wave?
5. What does Setsu's excitement about Jiya's becoming a part of their family foreshadow?
6. Why does Kino find it difficult to think of the sea as an enemy?
7. How does Kino's father respond when Kino thinks it is cruel for the sky and sea to be calm again?
8. What does Kino's father tell him that they will do for Jiya now that his family is gone?
9. What is Kino's experience when the volcano starts to become active?
10. How does Jiya's awe of an angry sea foreshadow what the sea is ultimately capable of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the Old Gentleman in the story? What does he represent for the villagers? Is he smart but possibly not so wise when it comes to human relations and the human spirit?
Essay Topic 2
Explain what Kino's father means when he says that life is stronger than death? In what ways is this phrase exhibited in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of the Old Gentleman. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)