|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jiya tell Kino when he asks about the houses near the sea?
2. What does Setsu offer to give to Jiya?
3. What is located on a small strip of sand at the base of the mountain?
4. Why is Kino glad that he lives up so high on the mountain?
5. Why did Setsu not see the big wave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kino want to do with Jiya after they eat dinner?
2. How accurate was Kino's father in describing the stages that Jiya will go through in his healing?
3. Why does Kino's father say they must wait for Jiya?
4. Summarize the story in The Big Wave.
5. What is Kino's father's response when Kino says he doesn't think that Jiya can ever be happy again?
6. What does Kino's father say about every day that comes after the storm?
7. What is Kino's experience when the volcano starts to become active?
8. Who is the Old Gentleman and where does he live?
9. Why does Kino's father tell Kino that it is good for Jiya to get more sleep?
10. What had Kino's father told him about the necessity for Jiya to eat in order to heal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of man vs. nature. Identify at least two situation which embody the man vs.nature theme.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of the Old Gentleman. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the book. Why does Buck use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)