|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Kino's sister?
2. Someday, Jiya will accept ____________________ as part of life.
3. Kino's father says that ______________ makes a man weak.
4. Kino's father tells Kino that Jiya is not yet ready to _______________.
5. What do Kino and Jiya search for when they play near the water?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kino's father remind him about that shows that the land, as well as the sea, is also fearsome?
2. What does Kino's father tell him about what the gods do to test men?
3. What is Kino's father's response when Kino says he doesn't think that Jiya can ever be happy again?
4. Where does Kino live?
5. Summarize the story in The Big Wave.
6. What is at the base of the mountain and why does Kino's father go there?
7. How does Jiya's awe of an angry sea foreshadow what the sea is ultimately capable of?
8. How does Jiya feel when his new family encourages him to sit at the table and eat with them?
9. What does Kino's father tell him that they will do for Jiya now that his family is gone?
10. What does Kino's father tell him when Kino asks if they must always be afraid of something?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE BIG WAVE is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what Kino's father means when he says that life is stronger than death? In what ways is this phrase exhibited in the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of the Old Gentleman in the story? What does he represent for the villagers? Is he smart but possibly not so wise when it comes to human relations and the human spirit?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)