|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kino's father explains that people are afraid of the sea because it is very big and _______________________.
2. Who is the author of THE BIG WAVE?
3. Why did Setsu not see the big wave?
4. What is Jiya's father's profession?
5. Kino's father says that ________________ is always stronger than death.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kino's father tell him that they will do for Jiya now that his family is gone?
2. How does Kino's father respond when Kino thinks it is cruel for the sky and sea to be calm again?
3. What does Kino's father say about Jiya's crying and what the family will do to let him mourn?
4. What does Setsu's excitement about Jiya's becoming a part of their family foreshadow?
5. What is Kino's father's response when Kino says he doesn't think that Jiya can ever be happy again?
6. What gift does Setsu offer to Jiya when he is distraught over the loss of his family?
7. How does Kino understand that Jiya's father is even afraid of the sea?
8. Why do Kino and his family surround Jiya as he begins to awaken?
9. Why does Kino find it difficult to think of the sea as an enemy?
10. What does Kino's father tell him when Kino asks if they must always be afraid of something?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Kino's father, Kino, Jiya and Setsu. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of man vs. nature. Identify at least two situation which embody the man vs.nature theme.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Jiya. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)