|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jiya will one day be able to live with the fact of his family members being dead by _______________________.
2. What will become of the orphaned Jiya after the big wave?
3. With what task does Jiya sometimes help his father?
4. What is situated at the top of the mountain?
5. Who wants to spend the night on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kino's father say about how Jiya will recover one day and how he will carry his deceased family members with him?
2. What does Kino's father say about every day that comes after the storm?
3. What does Setsu's excitement about Jiya's becoming a part of their family foreshadow?
4. What does Kino's father tell him that they will do for Jiya now that his family is gone?
5. What is Kino's experience when the volcano starts to become active?
6. Why does Kino find it difficult to think of the sea as an enemy?
7. How does Kino's father divert Kino's thoughts from the destruction of the big wave?
8. What does Kino's father tell him when Kino asks if they must always be afraid of something?
9. What experience does Kino have with diving that lets him know why Jiya feels the way he does about the sea?
10. Why does Kino's father say they must wait for Jiya?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the Old Gentleman in the story? What does he represent for the villagers? Is he smart but possibly not so wise when it comes to human relations and the human spirit?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the book THE BIG WAVE? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in the story What does it mean for some of the characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? What constitutes a family? Does Jiya make the right family choice for himself? Give examples.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)