|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Kino's sister?
2. Kino's father tells Kino that Jiya is not yet ready to _______________.
3. What does Setsu offer to give to Jiya?
4. Kino's father says that ________________ is always stronger than death.
5. The fields are layered up the mountain like __________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kino learn from his best friend, Jiya, about why the houses in the fishing village do not have windows facing the sea?
2. What is Kino's experience when the volcano starts to become active?
3. Who is the Old Gentleman and where does he live?
4. What is at the base of the mountain and why does Kino's father go there?
5. What does Jiya do when he sees the devastation of the big wave?
6. Why does Kino's father tell Kino that it is good for Jiya to get more sleep?
7. What does Kino's father tell him that they will do for Jiya now that his family is gone?
8. Why do Kino and his family surround Jiya as he begins to awaken?
9. Summarize the story in The Big Wave.
10. What does Kino's father say about how Jiya will recover one day and how he will carry his deceased family members with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of the Old Gentleman. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Pearl Buck is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)