|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jiya's father's profession?
2. Who is Kino's sister?
3. Kino's father says that Jiya will _______________________ when he wakes.
(a) Be very hungry.
(b) Feel he can never be happy again.
(c) Try to run away.
(d) Not have much of an appetite.
4. Who is the most excited that Jiya will be joining the family?
(c) Kino's father.
5. In what country does THE BIG WAVE take place?
6. Even though he does not feel hungry, Jiya's body is _________________ for some food.
7. What will become of the orphaned Jiya after the big wave?
(a) He will become another son in Kino's family.
(b) He will live with relatives.
(c) He will go to an orphanage.
(d) He will live with the Old Gentleman.
8. Who wants to spend the night on the island?
9. What does Jiya do when he remembers that his family members have died?
(a) Throws himself on the floor.
(c) Runs away.
(d) Looks toward where the village used to be.
10. Why does Kino worry about Jiya?
(a) He walks with a limp lately.
(b) He doesn't think he will ever be happy again.
(c) He doesn't think he will pass to the next grade.
(d) He can't remember things anymore.
11. What are Kino and his family doing at the beginning of Section 2?
(a) Waiting for Jiya to wake.
(b) Harvesting rice.
(c) Writing letters.
(d) Flying kites.
12. Jiya tries not to think of ____________________.
(a) His family.
(c) The volcano.
(d) Old Gentleman.
13. Why does a bell toll from the Old Gentleman's castle?
(a) He invites the villagers to take shelter in his castle.
(b) He heard a news report tha the war is over.
(c) The volcano is about to erupt.
(d) He has spotted a hurricane.
14. Why do Kino and Jiya cling to Kino's father?
(a) Lightning strikes close to the house.
(b) A hurricane wind breaks from the ocean.
(c) The volcano has erupted.
(d) Gunshots are heard in the distance.
15. As Jiya starts to feel better, he will cry only _______________________.
(a) When he looks at the sea.
(b) At night.
(c) On the anniversary of the day his family died.
(d) On his birthday.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jiya explains that ________________ knows why the sea gets angry.
2. Jiya says that only the __________________ live on the island.
3. Kino's father tells Kino that Jiya is not yet ready to _______________.
4. What does Jiya do in his sleep?
5. What does Kino's father think about the calm sea and the shining sun?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)