|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kino worry about Jiya?
(a) He doesn't think he will pass to the next grade.
(b) He doesn't think he will ever be happy again.
(c) He can't remember things anymore.
(d) He walks with a limp lately.
2. What will become of the orphaned Jiya after the big wave?
(a) He will live with relatives.
(b) He will go to an orphanage.
(c) He will become another son in Kino's family.
(d) He will live with the Old Gentleman.
3. What is the theme of THE BIG WAVE?
(b) Life is stronger than death.
(c) Man's inhumanity to man.
(d) Love conquers all.
4. What does Kino's father think about the calm sea and the shining sun?
(a) It is too soon.
(b) It is wonderful.
(c) It is scary.
(d) It is not right.
5. With what task does Jiya sometimes help his father?
(b) Making nets.
(c) Harvesting rice.
6. What is Jiya's father's profession?
7. Kino's father says that ______________ makes a man weak.
8. What is sometimes hard for Kino about where he lives?
(a) The lightning strikes.
(b) The wind storms.
(c) The monsoon season.
(d) The walk up the mountain.
9. What does Jiya think when he awakens and sees Kino's family?
(a) He doesn't recognize them.
(b) He doesn't know why he is with them.
(c) He must have had a sleepover with Kino.
(d) He thinks Kino's mother is beautiful.
10. What is Kino's father prepared to do for Jiya?
(a) Let him stay for a little while.
(b) Drive him to the orphanage.
(c) Help him find his relatives.
(d) Give him a home.
11. Jiya will one day be able to live with the fact of his family members being dead by _______________________.
(a) Praying to them.
(b) Naming his children after them.
(c) Carrying them in his memories.
(d) Looking at pictures of them.
12. Who wants to spend the night on the island?
13. Where does Jiya think he is when he awakens?
(a) A hotel.
(b) His bedroom.
(c) The orphanage.
(d) He doesn't know.
14. Jiya seems to be too tired to _______________.
15. Where is the location of Kino's home?
(a) In the desert.
(b) On the side of a mountain.
(c) In a valley.
(d) Near the ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jiya explains that ________________ knows why the sea gets angry.
2. How does Setsu feel about Jiya living with her family?
3. Why do Kino and Jiya cling to Kino's father?
4. What food does Kino's mother prepare for him because he is cold?
5. What are Kino and his family doing at the beginning of Section 2?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)