|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jiya says that only the __________________ live on the island.
(a) Old Gentleman's grandchildren.
(b) Sacred deer.
2. What would Jiya prefer to do after the family eats?
(d) Play the violin.
3. Why will many villagers stay at home during the emergency?
(a) To protect their homes.
(b) To protect their boats.
(c) To report on the storm.
(d) To stay with the children.
4. What does Kino urge Jiya to do?
(b) Read a book.
(d) Take a bath.
5. Where does Kino's father place Jiya after he faints?
(a) On the sand.
(b) On a futon.
(c) On a mattress.
(d) On a chair.
6. As Jiya starts to feel better, he will cry only _______________________.
(a) At night.
(b) When he looks at the sea.
(c) On the anniversary of the day his family died.
(d) On his birthday.
7. The person who owns the island lives in a ___________________ on the mountainside.
8. Why does Kino's father instruct Kino to get his mother and sister?
(a) They can fix some food for Jiya.
(b) They will be safe from the storm.
(c) They can sing to Jiya.
(d) Jiya will know who his family is now.
9. What does Kino's father think about the calm sea and the shining sun?
(a) It is wonderful.
(b) It is too soon.
(c) It is not right.
(d) It is scary.
10. In what country does THE BIG WAVE take place?
11. What do Kino and Jiya search for when they play near the water?
(d) Sea shells.
12. Why does Kino think there might be an earthquake coming?
(a) The birds are very noisy.
(b) His bed is shaking a little.
(c) The animals are scattering.
(d) The sea is calm but gray.
13. Kino's father says that Jiya will _______________________ when he wakes.
(a) Feel he can never be happy again.
(b) Be very hungry.
(c) Try to run away.
(d) Not have much of an appetite.
14. How many times in his life has Kino's father seen the Old Gentleman's flag?
15. Why does a bell toll from the Old Gentleman's castle?
(a) The volcano is about to erupt.
(b) He invites the villagers to take shelter in his castle.
(c) He has spotted a hurricane.
(d) He heard a news report tha the war is over.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what task does Jiya sometimes help his father?
2. Even though he does not feel hungry, Jiya's body is _________________ for some food.
3. Setsu's excitement at Jiya's living in their home foreshadows _____________________.
4. Jiya seems to be too tired to _______________.
5. The way of the good Japanese is to enjoy life and ________________________.
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)