|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times in his life has Kino's father seen the Old Gentleman's flag?
2. Why is Kino glad that he lives up so high on the mountain?
(a) Sometimes it snows there.
(b) He can see the sea below.
(c) He pretends he is king of the world.
(d) He can almost touch clouds.
3. What is Jiya's father's profession?
4. Kino's father agrees with Jiya in that _____________ would be good for Jiya right now.
5. What does Jiya think when he awakens and sees Kino's family?
(a) He thinks Kino's mother is beautiful.
(b) He doesn't recognize them.
(c) He doesn't know why he is with them.
(d) He must have had a sleepover with Kino.
6. What are Kino and his family doing at the beginning of Section 2?
(a) Writing letters.
(b) Harvesting rice.
(c) Flying kites.
(d) Waiting for Jiya to wake.
7. What food is Jiya able to eat?
8. Why does a bell toll from the Old Gentleman's castle?
(a) The volcano is about to erupt.
(b) He invites the villagers to take shelter in his castle.
(c) He has spotted a hurricane.
(d) He heard a news report tha the war is over.
9. Jiya seems to be too tired to _______________.
10. What will Kino's family do while Jiya is sad?
(a) Chastise Jiya for his behavior.
(b) Continue to live as they always have.
(c) Let Jiya stay in bed as long as he wants to.
(d) Give Jiya more sweet treats.
11. Where does Jiya think he is when he awakens?
(a) He doesn't know.
(b) The orphanage.
(c) His bedroom.
(d) A hotel.
12. Which of the following does Kino NOT discover about the sea and why Jiya is afraid of it?
(a) It is dark.
(b) It stings his skin.
(c) It is very still.
(d) It is cold.
13. In what country does THE BIG WAVE take place?
14. Someday, Jiya will accept ____________________ as part of life.
(b) Going to school.
(d) His family's deaths.
15. Kino's father sells rice and __________________ at the fishing village.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is notable about the houses nearest the sea in the fishing village?
2. What does Jiya do when the family sits at the table to eat?
3. What will Kino's family do while Jiya returns to life again?
4. What is Kino's father's advice about evil storms?
5. Sometimes Kino and Jiya swim to a small island owned by whom?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)